Author Topic: Uptone Regen Amber  (Read 25017 times)

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Uptone Regen Amber
« on: May 22, 2015 at 01:25 AM »
Anyone got one? Just placed my order and is expected to be shipped July... Seems to getting a lot of praises lately from any kind of dac it connects to.
Here are the dacs they own with the Regen: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-regen-and-your-digital-analogue-converter-what-digital-analogue-converter-do-you-use-24410/
And here is their listening impressions: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/
Their website: http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Re: Uptone Regen Amber
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015 at 11:22 AM »
Let's compare with the iFi iUSB when your unit arrives.  It seams that this has the same function with the iUSB...... own clean power and re-clocking the digital signal.

Anyone got one? Just placed my order and is expected to be shipped July... Seems to getting a lot of praises lately from any kind of dac it connects to.
Here are the dacs they own with the Regen: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-regen-and-your-digital-analogue-converter-what-digital-analogue-converter-do-you-use-24410/
And here is their listening impressions: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/
Their website: http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015 at 03:07 AM »
Let's compare with the iFi iUSB when your unit arrives.  It seams that this has the same function with the iUSB...... own clean power and re-clocking the digital signal.

Technically similar but very different in reality...
From the creator of the Regen:
What I have been finding in looking at DACs etc with USB inputs is that there is what I am calling "packet noise". This is bursts of noise caused by the USB receiver processing the packets of data. This noise shows up on both power and ground planes. Since the rate of packets is 8KHz there are strong components of this noise in the audio band. This noise can cause jitter in clock oscillators, reclocking flops, and DAC chips. It can also go directly into noise on the output of DAC chips.

The question everybody asks then is: well what about the DACs that have full isolation between the USB system and reclocking on the DAC side? Unfortunately this noise likes to make it through even this. Exactly how this works is complicated, I have written about this in the AudioStream articles. And bits and pieces in other posts recently. The upshot is that neither galvanic isolation nor reclocking completely get rid of it. They help attenuate it some, but don't get rid of it.

This packet noise consists of two parts: noise from the USB protocol engine and from the USB PHY. The protocol engine noise does not depend on the input signal quality, just the data, so its impact is always going to be the same no matter what is done with the input. The PHY is the part that actually connects to the electrical signals on the bus, ITS contribution to packet noise IS dependent on the quality of the input signal. This is the part the REGEN targets.

A high-speed USB signal runs at 480 mega bits per second, which is fairly high. Different cables and connectors can significantly degrade the "Signal Integrity" (SI). SI consists of the rise/fall times of the signal, noise on the signal and jitter of the edges. Increases in any or all of these can decrease the SI. The decrease in SI can be so large that it becomes difficult for the PHY to determine the actual bits. Thus the PHY contains several methods used to pre-process the analog signals in order to make it easier to determine the bits. Modern high speed serial interfaces work at all because of these techniques that have been developed over the years.

When the SI is very good, the PHY can turn off the pre-processing steps and easily determine the bits. As the SI degrades the PHY turns on different parts of the pre-processing as needed. Each of these steps takes a fair amount of power to operate, thus creating noise on the power and ground planes. The more processing the PHY needs to use to determine the bits, the more noise is generated. Thus part of the packet noise is directly related to the signal integrity of the incoming signal. The higher the SI, the lower the noise.

It is very important here to realize this is noise that is GENERATED inside the DAC by its own operation, it is NOT noise on the USB bus that is somehow getting into the DAC as is commonly thought.

The REGEN uses a common USB hub chip to create a new USB stream. I'm calling this a regeneration not just a reclocking. Because it uses clean power and a low jitter clock the output of the HUB has low noise and low jitter. By making sure the impedances are good and the REGEN is as close as possible to the DAC the rise/fall times have very small degradation.

The result is that the PHY in the DAC doesn't have to use any of its pre-processing arsenal so the packet noise is as low as it is going to get. Note: it does not get rid of the packet noise altogether, it is just as low as it can be.

The hub chip inside the REGEN has its own PHYs, which themselves generate packet noise on ITS power and ground planes. I have worked hard to minimize this noise, but it is still there. The result is that the REGEN itself is also sensitive to the SI of the signal fed to it, which is why USB cables on its input still make a difference.

I hope that is all clear. It is about as short as I can make it.

John S.

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015 at 11:24 AM »
Nice share Sonny!  This worth the money!

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015 at 04:00 PM »
Nice share Sonny!  This worth the money!
I do think it is brad. With all the reviews and so far no as in none had anything bad to say about it.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015 at 05:03 PM »
Not to play the devil's advocate but what the creator did not mention is that packet noise occurs at about the frequency of the DAC's internal clock. Packet noise is mainly eliminated by parity checks where the leading bit of the data packet is resent back to the tx to confirm the rx has received it.

The Regen is what we call in digital electronics as a filtered packet repeater. Mostly used in digital video transmissions as a buffer and signal repeater. It's use affects the monotonicity and the maximum sampling rate of the overall digital stream which is why it is usually spec'd way above the transfer speed of the downstream. This is probably the main reason why we do not see it popularly used in audio use.

Brader, since you have already ordered, please do keep us updated as to how it performs.

Cheers

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015 at 08:20 PM »
Cool find Sonny! Will wait for your review :)

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015 at 10:08 PM »
I don't really think you would need my findings as the thread I posted has so many good things about it, but when it arrives I will give my opinion. Maybe bring it around for friends to try in their system.

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015 at 10:17 PM »
Brader Jo, even if it is a simple light bulb in a box if it can improve the sonics I would love to give it a try. The guys at computeraudiophile both techies and noobies alike seem to approve that several distributors that will exhibit in newport show has expressed their willingness to have this in their system in the show. Unfortunately not enough hotcakes at the moment as they are sold before they can be completed.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015 at 08:58 AM »
Brader Jo, even if it is a simple light bulb in a box if it can improve the sonics I would love to give it a try. The guys at computeraudiophile both techies and noobies alike seem to approve that several distributors that will exhibit in newport show has expressed their willingness to have this in their system in the show. Unfortunately not enough hotcakes at the moment as they are sold before they can be completed.

My thoughts exactly brader... more often than not, knowledge is surpassed by experience... that's why I can't wait to hear it in your system (or in mine). Kailan ba ang dating? Para makapag sched na tayo ng session diyan.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015 at 11:27 AM »
Maybe bring it around for friends to try in their system.

Bro, hope we can get a chance to try out your new gem in one of our future events. :) 

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM »

My thoughts exactly brader... more often than not, knowledge is surpassed by experience... that's why I can't wait to hear it in your system (or in mine). Kailan ba ang dating? Para makapag sched na tayo ng session diyan.
The item should ship around mid July to my sis-in-law. She then comes home August pa... Huhuhu

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015 at 07:52 PM »
The item should ship around mid July to my sis-in-law. She then comes home August pa... Huhuhu

Ang tagal naman brader! Pero alam ko mahaba patience level mo eh. Pila na ako sa hihiram ha, kahit low on the list para burn-in na hehehe...

Anyway, in between now and then baka gusto mag sched nila Cal, JoeyGS, et al ng meeting regarding yang chow and garlic spare ribs. ;D Sorry for the OT.

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015 at 08:56 PM »

Ang tagal naman brader! Pero alam ko mahaba patience level mo eh. Pila na ako sa hihiram ha, kahit low on the list para burn-in na hehehe...

Anyway, in between now and then baka gusto mag sched nila Cal, JoeyGS, et al ng meeting regarding yang chow and garlic spare ribs. ;D Sorry for the OT.
Hehehe, sorry to say brader but papahiram ko lang yan kung kasama ako ;D tapos sbay din kami uuwi.... Pero yung yang chow eh, madali lang. Pagdumating ang regen... Kainan na agad!  O0 O0

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015 at 08:14 AM »
Hahaha sige wag na lang, mahirap maintenance pag kasama ka eh hahaha!  ;D O0 ^-^

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015 at 09:33 AM »
Kainan and session ....... what a great combo!  let's get it on!

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015 at 12:08 PM »
Hahaha sige wag na lang, mahirap maintenance pag kasama ka eh hahaha!  ;D O0 ^-^

Madali lang ako. Coke lang at lechon kawali talo talo na....

Offline jh@meeh

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM »
Placed order of this "little tweak". To be use in series with my SOTM USB & Exasound DAC.

Waiting mode.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Brader Sonny when ang delivery ng order mo? Baka end of July pa yung Amber Regen ko.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM by jh@meeh »
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2015 at 12:55 PM »
Selling like hot cakes!  :o

All USB REGEN units for June delivery are now sold-out. Orders placed now will ship in early-July. This popular product has been selling VERY quickly. Please do place your order now to be assured of receiving a REGEN in July. Thank you for your patience. It's great, to REGENerate!

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2015 at 05:50 AM »
Placed order of this "little tweak". To be use in series with my SOTM USB & Exasound DAC.

Waiting mode.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Brader Sonny when ang delivery ng order mo? Baka end of July pa yung Amber Regen ko.
Delivery nung akin should be early July...... Kaya lang ipapasabay ko sa sister in law ko na uuwi sa September pa! Huhuhuhu

Selling like hot cakes!  :o

All USB REGEN units for June delivery are now sold-out. Orders placed now will ship in early-July. This popular product has been selling VERY quickly. Please do place your order now to be assured of receiving a REGEN in July. Thank you for your patience. It's great, to REGENerate!
;D ;D O0
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2015 at 05:51 AM by timber715 »

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #20 on: Jun 19, 2015 at 08:13 AM »
Nakakapangati naman to!!! bookmarked

parang gusto ko na agad itry....

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 06, 2015 at 02:46 AM »
Jhameeh, sana dalawa inorder mo...... Some members already tried using two in their system and getting blown away.
Jojo, designer and techies reporting 7.5v to be the sweet-spot for the regen. Would be nice if my laptop can have a good psu that could also power the regen.... Dead na rin kasi batteries ng laptop ko eh....... What do you suggest?

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #22 on: Jul 06, 2015 at 12:47 PM »
Jhameeh, sana dalawa inorder mo...... Some members already tried using two in their system and getting blown away.
Jojo, designer and techies reporting 7.5v to be the sweet-spot for the regen. Would be nice if my laptop can have a good psu that could also power the regen.... Dead na rin kasi batteries ng laptop ko eh....... What do you suggest?
so sir? Is there a huge improvement from 1 regen compared to two regen in series going to the DAC?

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 06, 2015 at 01:53 PM »
so sir? Is there a huge improvement from 1 regen compared to two regen in series going to the DAC?

Not my own experience since my regen hasn't arrived. Owners of the regen green (which is the first generation regen) who also ordered the Amber tried connecting the two together and are reporting very realistic sq...
Imho, in case two gives a tweak that isn't worth the money, selling one should be a breeze.... :)

Offline jh@meeh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 06, 2015 at 02:16 PM »
Brader sonny, meron na kong SOTM USB kaya isa na lang binili ko. Try kong gamitin yung LPSU ko for regen pag dumating.
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 06, 2015 at 02:30 PM »
July din ba arrival ng regen mo?

Offline jh@meeh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 06, 2015 at 02:58 PM »
End of July pa daw.
LG OLED
Kef Reference
Denon Receiver
Power Sound Audio
JL Fathoms

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 11, 2015 at 12:44 AM »
Jhameeh....
We wanted to let you know that your UpTone at Shopify order (#UA web #) has been shipped via USPS, USPS Priority Mail on 7/9/2015.  You can track your package at any time using the link below.
Woohoooooo.....

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #28 on: Jul 11, 2015 at 12:50 AM »
Congrats! I'm subscribing to this thread too.

Offline timber715

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 15, 2015 at 06:38 PM »
My unit arrived at my SIL's place last Monday... woot!? Unforunately she arrives Sept. pa with it.... huhuhu