Author Topic: Samsung vs. LG  (Read 51646 times)

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
Samsung vs. LG
« on: Jun 06, 2015 at 11:39 PM »
Would love to hear your opinions guys,
I am currently on the market for a bigger TV,
and my main requirement is that it needs to be a 240hz refresh rate,
I think my current Samsung 55" is almost 3 years old,
and my current living area is a bit oversize for that size,
kaya napapanahon na para sa isang upgrade,
I have been looking at the Samsung UN75JU7100FXZA (http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN75JU7100FXZA) with a price of $5000,
my first choice is again a Samsung coz wala naman akong nakitang problema sa previous
unit ko, and their after market support is simply awesome here,...
Kaya lang, may inalok kasi sa akin ang isang kaibigan ko dito,
the LG 79UB9800 (http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-79UB9800-led-tv), market price is at $9999, pero ibinibigay lang sa akin ng $5000 - 5500, which includes a wall mount, free mounting and delivery,
plus of course an added 4 inches on the panel,... The only thing that is holding me back is that hindi ko kabisado ang quality and support ng LG, kaya medyo hesitant pa rin ako,...
Now lumabas na rin ang isang modelo pa ng LG which is the 79UF7700 (http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-79UF7700-4k-uhd-led-tv) priced almost the same, roughly around the $5000 - 5500 range,
and its the 2015 model, but again, it is an LG,

Picture quality on both brands, well, let's just say na hindi na sila nagkakalayo talaga sa linaw and clarity, color rendition ay halos parehas na rin sila,...

So let me know guys,...

Thanks,...

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
Re: Samsung vs. LG
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2015 at 01:17 AM »
Both Samsung and LG are known to have good image processing and upscaling.

I can only talk about the UB9800, as I had some experience tweaking it for a friend. In my opinion it is a nice set with a very easy to use interface and wide viewing angles. What I don't like about it is the fairly shallow black level for a higher model TV, which can be noticed if you'd be using it on a dim room (this is typical of IPS panels though).

Samsung's PSA panels have an edge over IPS in terms of contrast/black-level, but they no longer carry that huge lead that they used to have (except on higher end models). PSA on the other hand is behind IPS when it comes to viewing angles, which may be a consideration if you'd have viewers from extreme angles.

Check out the Samsung 75HU8550 as well (if you can still find it, as it was replaced by the JU7100). The price should be about the same (being a 2014 model), but it can offer best in class image quality (depending on what you get, as there is some sort of panel/electronics lottery for this model).

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with any of the three options you mentioned.

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2015 at 01:41 AM by Stagea »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2015 at 02:46 AM »
Samsung 75HU8550

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with any of the three options you mentioned.

My friend here bought that model a couple of months back, it is indeed beautiful, for a 120hz panel, I did not see any lag or jitter on the image, though I just wanted to be extra cautious that is why I intend to go with a 240hz panel, if the black level would be the deciding factor, I did saw how sharp and crisp Samsung images are, I might end up with just the 75JU7100, nanghihinayang lang din po kasi ako sa 4" ng LG,...

Thanks,...

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2015 at 03:30 AM »
My friend here bought that model a couple of months back, it is indeed beautiful, for a 120hz panel, I did not see any lag or jitter on the image, though I just wanted to be extra cautious that is why I intend to go with a 240hz panel, if the black level would be the deciding factor, I did saw how sharp and crisp Samsung images are, I might end up with just the 75JU7100, nanghihinayang lang din po kasi ako sa 4" ng LG,...

Thanks,...

The JU7100 should be great too for PC use (4:4:4 chroma at UHD/60Hz) and gaming (low input lag).

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2015 at 10:25 PM »
One thing I hate about the new TVs, is that they changed the RCA inputs at the back, kailangan pang gamitan ng adaptor ang mga component and composite video inputs, instead na diretso RCA na, ay gagamitan pa ng 3.5mm adaptor... Seems lahat ng brands ay ganun ang inilabas...

Will be ordering the 75" Samsung, ang pinagtatalunan na lang ay sa kung kanino,...
At first Paul's TV is giving it $5000 with free deliver, free wall mount and installation and for 18 months...
When I told Best Buy about that deal, they said they'll match it and instead of 18 months, they'll give me 36 months,...
When my friend at Paul's TV learned that, he gave me his family-friend discount which is 10% of whatever computation, so from $5000 it dropped down to $4150, not inclusive of the delivery, wall mount and installation of course, but still 18 months... So I need to do some more computations first...

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2015 at 02:49 AM »
One thing I hate about the new TVs, is that they changed the RCA inputs at the back, kailangan pang gamitan ng adaptor ang mga component and composite video inputs, instead na diretso RCA na, ay gagamitan pa ng 3.5mm adaptor... Seems lahat ng brands ay ganun ang inilabas...

Will be ordering the 75" Samsung, ang pinagtatalunan na lang ay sa kung kanino,...
At first Paul's TV is giving it $5000 with free deliver, free wall mount and installation and for 18 months...
When I told Best Buy about that deal, they said they'll match it and instead of 18 months, they'll give me 36 months,...
When my friend at Paul's TV learned that, he gave me his family-friend discount which is 10% of whatever computation, so from $5000 it dropped down to $4150, not inclusive of the delivery, wall mount and installation of course, but still 18 months... So I need to do some more computations first...

Those are great deals. Yup, most TVs these days use those 3.5mm breakout cables. I had to buy one online when I lost an adapter before (not readily available sa local stores here).

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2015 at 02:45 PM »
Just got home from Best Buy,
Saw all brands side by side,...
LG, Samsung, Sharp and Sony,...
Well, aesthetically speaking, the LG looks really nice,
but who will watch movies looking at the base and borders right,...
When it comes to crisp and sharpness of image, DAMN,..! Samsung blows them all away,...
Not even close,... the 75JU7100 is a beauty,..! The LG and Sony lacks color brightness in my eyes,
want something really sharp that would simply WOW you when you see the image...
The 78" curve looks awesome too, forgot what model though, it is $1000 more...
I'll be back tomorrow to maybe finalize the deal,...

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2015 at 08:24 AM »
One reason why I love bringing my wife looking for a new TV, I knew she wouldn't just settle to what my money can buy, I showed her first the 78JU7500 which really caught my eye the first time I entered the store, she looked at the images being played, looked at the border and base of the TV, then asked me if I wanted this one, told her, just look at my first choice first,... Brought her to the 75JU7100, saw her reaction, it was like, this is it,..? Nothing spectacular about it, except being big,...
Then she came back to the 78, sat on the theater seats and said, this is what I want,..!
And like a good husband,.. ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE WIFE,...  O0

Now the 78JU7500 is a frontrunner...

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM »
sir opinion ko lang baka may available pang 78hu9000... :D

JU7500                                                        HU9000 (2014)

-8 bit panel                                                  -10 bit panel                                         
-quad core                                                   -quad core plus                                             
-one connect mini                                         -one connect full                                               
-peak illuminator                                          -peak illuminator                                               
-tizen                                                                                                                               
-improved upscaling                                       
-new codecs for better streaming                                                                                 

by adding SEK-3500 (One Connect Box - $399), HU9000 receives:

-octacore processor (js9000)
-tizen
-improved upscaling(same as 2015 models)
-peak illuminator PRO edition (js9000)
-advanced SMART LED (js9000)
-new codecs for better streaming (same as 2015 models)
- **POTENTIAL** ability to do HDR with silicon 9777 chip - HDR fully compatible according to Samsung

full discussions here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2018913-samsung-78hu9000-78ju7500.html

... if you can stretch your budget more go for the SUHD (full array back lighting) no worries for clouding/DSE  talagang mapapaWOW ka!!! :D

... currently enjoying my 78hu9000 and planning to upgrade my OCB soon :D
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2015 at 01:29 PM »
And like a good husband,.. ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE WIFE,...  O0

Now the 78JU7500 is a frontrunner...

Congrats in advance with whatever you get to pick. :)

Offline zechs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2015 at 11:36 PM »
@TS,
Since this is a smart tv, which one do you prefer? Lg's web os or samsung's tizen? Also curved or not curved. I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Choosing between samsung 48ju6600 (curved uhd smart) and lg 49ub770 (uhd smart).

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 08:23 AM »
Still on the fence,...
Both panels look really good, but somehow, the curve has a much better contrast,
there are 3 things that is still holding me back right now on the curve,
don't get me wrong, it is indeed BEAUTIFUL in all areas,

1. Glare factor, it has a bit of a semi glossy panel, though the living room is a bit dimmed,..
2. Weird look when wall mounted coz of a bit of an arc on the edges
3. It is a $1000 more

However, the flat 75JU7100 is indeed spectacular as well, but my daughter said it does look like an ordinary picture frame, nothing fancy about it,...

Dang it,...

Offline zechs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 01:29 PM »
@TS,
The models that I'm comparing between LG and samsung, the flat LG is much more expensive than the curved Samsung. Something is holding me back too with the curve. Flat LG looks bigger despite having around the same size as the curved Samsung.

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 03:56 PM »
Are there any real advantages of curved panels vs flat panels? Feeling ko kasi marketing gimmick lang e
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 04:26 PM »
Are there any real advantages of curved panels vs flat panels? Feeling ko kasi marketing gimmick lang e

It sweetens the sweet spot by offering near-uniform distance to the viewer's eyes. This takes away most of the visual geometric distortion experienced on flat displays and ensures that the entire screen is in clear focus for the viewer. The wrapped image is also better in filling the viewer's field of view.

It doesn't mean much outside of the sweet spot however, and it can actually hurt the image in some cases (depending on the viewing angle).
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2015 at 04:28 PM by Stagea »

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 04:43 PM »
It sweetens the sweet spot by offering near-uniform distance to the viewer's eyes. This takes away most of the visual geometric distortion experienced on flat displays and ensures that the entire screen is in clear focus for the viewer. The wrapped image is also better in filling the viewer's field of view.

It doesn't mean much outside of the sweet spot however, and it can actually hurt the image in some cases (depending on the viewing angle).

Yun na nga sir e. When I demoed curved panels before, I really did not like how it looks (on all angles), or siguro hindi lang ako sanay

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 08:34 PM »
Sir Stagea is correct, it enhances the sweet spot,..
Actually, kung ang paglalagyan ng panel ay halos perpendicular lang sa kinalalagyan mo,
it really is beautiful, for some odd reason, iba ang bigay ng color and contrast ng curve compared sa flat, you'll see this side by side, yung 7100 na flat ay nagiging saturated ang color bordering to almost color bleeding, though it is a very nice panel too don't get me wrong, but somehow the appeal of the curve is just spectacular,...

Wife said, CURVE or no upgrade at all,...

Done...

For all the tips and opinions, thank you,
esp. to Sir Stagea...

Cheers sir..

Offline zechs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 10:55 PM »
Napansin ko nga na better colors and contrast ang curved screens but why is that?

Congrats sir on your purchase. Ako di pa rin maka-decide. Hahaha curved screens = you dont really need one but its nice to have one.

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 10:59 PM »
Ok, thanks for the clarifications. I'll probably do a "critical" observation when I get to go appliance stores again :)

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 11, 2015 at 11:13 PM »
Napansin ko nga na better colors and contrast ang curved screens but why is that?

Congrats sir on your purchase. Ako di pa rin maka-decide. Hahaha curved screens = you dont really need one but its nice to have one.

When I first started looking around for a new TV, and suggestion kaagad sa akin ng mga kaibigan ko sa isang shop dito ay go with the CURVE, sabi ko, eh parang hype lang yan, na wala naman maibibigay, well somehow he knows what he was talking about, he said, sa lahat daw ng mga panels na naibenta nya, side by side comparison, iba ang contrast and vibrancy ng CURVE, considering nga daw na halos parehas lang ng panel yan, and even with the same series, iba pa rin daw talaga ang naibibigay ng CURVE panels, he was talking for both the Samsung and LG curves, hesitant lang ako nung una coz sabi ko baka medyo masagwang tingnan sa side lalo pag naka - wall mount, but again, who would actually look at it sa sides pag nanunuod ka na, and of course the additional $1000 is huge, pero sabi nga ng isang kaibigan ko and I quote,

"If you buy an expensive TV and it makes you happy for several years, I guess it's fine. If you buy something cheaper and it makes you wish you bought the more expensive one, that's bad. The cheaper model is okay only if you think you can enjoy it without complaining or regretting your decision later (",)."

Which really is a valid point,...

Good luck sir, and happy hunting,..

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM »
UN78JU7500

Free delivery and installation on wall
Plus a 5 year extended warranty
Tax and all

$7850,...

Delivery: June 18, 2015

^-^

Offline zechs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2015 at 02:07 PM »
Congrats sir! Post mo dito pag na-install na hehe

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 PM »
Base sa experience ko mas mafe-feel mo depth/3d like kung eye level ung tv... tried to wallmount my 78 di ko nagustuhan di ko feel ung "curve" effect nya...  height ng tv ko now from floor is 2ft (w/stand) and my viewing distance is @ 8ft talagang inmersive experience!! :D
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 12, 2015 at 10:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips,...
Will look into it when being wall mounted,...

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 14, 2015 at 09:26 PM »
Bumaba pa ng $500 ang price today,..
Kaya babalik ako sa shop para ipaadjust ang resibo ko,
Lucky day,..!   ^-^

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 15, 2015 at 12:47 AM »
For all the tips and opinions, thank you,

You're welcome. Glad to be of help.

UN78JU7500
Delivery: June 18, 2015

Congrats! A few more days to go. :)

Offline zechs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 15, 2015 at 10:05 PM »
Ako din, took the plunge kanina. Bought an lg uhd. Hopefully good purchase siya.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 15, 2015 at 10:42 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase sir,...
It will all boil down to preference.
Sometimes reviews would just complicate your decision,
just trust your eyes, mata rin naman natin ang manunuod at hindi ang mga reviewers di ba,
the only thing I often rely when it comes to reviews are their comments when it comes to panel durability, warranty and customer support, dyan, nakikinig at naniniwala ako sa mga reviews, pero when it comes to resolution, I rely mainly on what I see, in my case, what my family sees, one advantage we have here in the US is that may 14 days return policy kami, just in case we find it too bright or whatever, we can have it returned or palitan ng ibang TV kung sakali,...

Went back to Best Buy yesterday, showed them that their prices dropped $500, after checking online,
they gave me back that discount, I was already happy with the discounts and freebies that I got during the first transaction, it made me even happier when the prices dropped and was credited back.

A friend just texted me that a 78" 4K panel dyan sa atin ay nasa halos P420K, nakupo, napakamahal pala dyan, coz I was making the conversion, the TV was just at $5500 ($6000 before the price discount), plus the 5 year warranty and taxes it went to $7350 x 45 = P332000, parang ang laki naman yata ng mark up,
yet ang hirap pang magsoli ng item, or even magpalit man lang,...

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #28 on: Jun 15, 2015 at 11:04 PM »
Sights and Sounds is selling the 78js9500 at around 365K pesos... :)

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 16, 2015 at 05:34 AM »
The wall mount just arrived today,...  ^-^

It was priced at $600, but with a lot of haggling and budging, it ended up at $199,...
Cool...