Author Topic: John's Build Pics  (Read 36933 times)

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
Re: John's Build Pics
« Reply #60 on: Apr 13, 2016 at 02:12 PM »
oo nga eh hehhe 300B at 10Y na preamp. :)

Sana mag e-exhibit yung  nagpagawa ng 845 OPTs sometime sa Hifi show.

balita ko masikreto yung audiophile na yon...;)
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline jravacio

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #61 on: Nov 01, 2016 at 10:33 PM »
1625 Push-Pull Amplifier driven by 6N9S-6N8S(Concertina phase inverter)

Overview
After 3 years on my DIY Audio journey, I finally made my own Output Transformers. Looking back wasn't that easy. I'm not intrinsically a patient man to take-on the complexities of winding an Output Transformer. I have to grow my hair literally and extend my patience a little bit. Girls called the process "Tiis Ganda" hahahah  ;)

The design was pretty much similar to the OddWatt but instead of using 6l6gc, I have used 1625 which is very similar to 6L6 but uses 12.6V on the heater.

Winding the Output Transformers

These OPTs were design to run at 40W @ 20Hz with an Impedance of 8K. But this amp is only running approximately at 25 watts per channel. This OPT uses an interleaved design of 5 primary winding sections and 3 secondary winding sections. Sounds complicated? Yes, for first timers like me it is but maybe I'll get used to it as time goes by and more practice.

Draft paper for inter-layer insulation. Without those, wires will fall in between the previous layer.

At this point, 1st primary winding sections were done. Side-by-side comparison for each section to ensure consistency between both OPTS.

Double NOMEX insulation plus Kapton tapes at the side.

1st secondary winding section were done. This is the 16 ohm tap.

2nd primary winding section continuous.

Done.. One layer of Draft Paper and then Nomex tape

Bifilar winding on the 4Ohm secondary winding section.

Done with the 4Ohm secondary section

Another primary winding section

Done with the primary section

After 12 days of OPT winding or 6 weekends windings are finally done

and time to put those eyelets.

Impedance testing with a Variac

Varnish Dipping and Sun baking

Winding the Power Transformers
After winding those OPT, it makes Power Transformer a walk in the park :)
Starting off with the primary winding

Secondary Windings

HV tap done

Meanwhile, Transformer covers are painted with Hammer tone paint

Heater windings done

Ready for Testing

Enclosure works

Enclosure done and painted.. Installed the faceplate

Wirewound pots for balancing the cathode current

70% done

All done... I have to wait another weekend before doing the actual test.

Actual Testing
After I turned ON this amp, I didn't have much problems and most voltage measurements are as Expected. After one hour of playing at full volume, my Power Transformer temperature rises from 30 degrees to 47 degrees Celsius. Although a temperature rise of 17 degrees Celsius is okay I have tried removing the CCS using TL783 and changed it to Cathode Resistor with a bypass capacitor (blue one on the picture above). After listening to it, I have decided to keep the Cathode Resistor.

Sound Review

It's been a long write-up so I'll make this short. The sound sits between being punchy and luscious. Just exactly the right tightness but not punchy. It has the clarity and warmness of 6L6 tubes. Tested several records on this amp from Louis Armstrong, Earth Wind and Fire to the heavy metal ACDC, Megadeth and Pantera.

Acknowledgements

Big Thanks to Tony Tecson for our never ending design reviews and discussions at elab.

Many Thanks to Edrel Sison for bringing-in the best quality materials for our builds.

Gerry Sta. Maria for these lovely 1625 bottles.

And to my lovely Wife for her never ending support for my DIY endeavors.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2016 at 10:54 PM by jravacio »
Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Nov 02, 2016 at 04:14 AM »
John, you are a fast learner, i am super glad to see you going well in your own journey......more amps to come....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline remington

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #63 on: Nov 02, 2016 at 10:58 AM »
Ang ganda naman sir john!!! kaka inggit hehehe!!! Congrats...
tube + audio nirvana = beyond...

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #64 on: Nov 02, 2016 at 12:49 PM »
Now that is what I call hardcore. Interesting build. DIY transformers.

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #65 on: Nov 02, 2016 at 01:02 PM »
ang galing! :)

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #66 on: Nov 02, 2016 at 01:21 PM »
Good job John. My SET is still inside its box hahahaha,the preamp that I started is still a chassis with sockets,rca jack,pots, power switch and power transformer hahahaha,but i manage to repair my kt88 during the holidays.
Superb craftmanship you got there.

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Nov 02, 2016 at 03:44 PM »
John, you are a fast learner, i am super glad to see you going well in your own journey......more amps to come....

Thanks for inspiring us Tony! Without you in the DIY community, we would have been lost on where we should start and what we should read.

Ang ganda naman sir john!!! kaka inggit hehehe!!! Congrats...
Salamat! Are building a passive preamp? I meet Gerry while he was bringing a Rotary Switch for You. How's that project going?

Now that is what I call hardcore. Interesting build. DIY transformers.
Thanks Gino :)

ang galing! :)
Thanks Shoktong! :)

Good job John. My SET is still inside its box hahahaha,the preamp that I started is still a chassis with sockets,rca jack,pots, power switch and power transformer hahahaha,but i manage to repair my kt88 during the holidays.
Superb craftmanship you got there.

Thanks Rochie! ayos lang at least one down na yung KT88 from your bucket list. Dahan2x lang, pwede mong gawin yung SET amp mo over Christmas Vacation :)

I'm building a Bench Power Supply for Tube experimentation next. Similar to Heath Kit IP-17.

Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Nov 02, 2016 at 05:20 PM »
John, there are small variacs that are about 500 pesos each to make an adjustable psu.....
check out the  shops along the street at republic supermarket in binondo...
planning to get a pair as well...
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2016 at 08:34 AM by tony »

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Nov 02, 2016 at 11:05 PM »
John, there are small variacs that are about 500 pesos each to make an adjustable psu.....
check out the  chops along the street at republic supermarket in binondo...

Thanks for pointing it out where we could get one. I could use one to make the Heater Voltage variable.

For the HV supply however, since I'll be using a ready made Power Transformer with an HV Tap (375-0-375 @ 200mA), 50V Bias, and another 6.3 it looks like my options are limited to either use a High Voltage Transistor (ex. BU508A) or a Power Tube to make it variable.
Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #70 on: Nov 03, 2016 at 03:16 AM »
check out the  chops along the street at republic supermarket in binondo...
Naalala ko, may gumamit ng variac sa audio system niya to make the voltage stable daw. Dba linear yun so in effect, kapag tumaas ang input voltage, tataas din ang output voltage? Or will it also help in the "isolation".

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Nov 03, 2016 at 05:17 AM »
Naalala ko, may gumamit ng variac sa audio system niya to make the voltage stable daw. Dba linear yun so in effect, kapag tumaas ang input voltage, tataas din ang output voltage? Or will it also help in the "isolation".

the variac discussed here will be used for another purpose....but yes, you still have to monitor voltage and adjust manually...
this is my diy power monitor...variacs are adjustable auto transformers....if gives no galvanic isolation from meralco......

this is the isolation traffo i made, a 1500 watt unit with line filters, my diy line conditioner....
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2016 at 05:23 AM by tony »

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Nov 03, 2016 at 11:28 PM »

I think Tony answered your question ;)

this is the isolation traffo i made, a 1500 watt unit with line filters, my diy line conditioner....

After being puzzled to your Isolation Transformer, I did some readings about it and realized it was primarily for Safety Purpose instead of working directly from Mains. hmmmm that would be a good DIY project for me someday :)
Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Nov 04, 2016 at 07:19 AM »
yes, John, an isolation traffo for those working on tubes will be a safety enhancement measure....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Nov 04, 2016 at 08:41 AM »
Actual Testing
After I turned ON this amp, I didn't have much problems and most voltage measurements are as Expected. After one hour of playing at full volume, my Power Transformer temperature rises from 30 degrees to 47 degrees Celsius. Although a temperature rise of 17 degrees Celsius is okay I have tried removing the CCS using TL783 and changed it to Cathode Resistor with a bypass capacitor (blue one on the picture above). After listening to it, I have decided to keep the Cathode Resistor.

the thing with TL783 used as CCS is they are somewhat band limited, so passive work better in most cases....
glad that you came to same findings.....the tl783's are good for such things as a maida regulator which was the main reason why they exist..

depletion type mosfets like the dn2540 when used in cacode present wide bandwith the voltage regulators...

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Nov 04, 2016 at 06:27 PM »
the thing with TL783 used as CCS is they are somewhat band limited, so passive work better in most cases....
glad that you came to same findings.....the tl783's are good for such things as a maida regulator which was the main reason why they exist..

depletion type mosfets like the dn2540 when used in cacode present wide bandwith the voltage regulators...

Thanks for pointing it out that it was due to band limited TL783. I could not explain the reason behind but when I listened to it at first, parang vocalist na nagpipigil kumanta. I was almost into the conclusion that Screen/G2 CCS would be better than CCS at the cathode hehehe. Choice of parts pa rin pala :)

Here's the before and after pictures :)

Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline remington

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #76 on: Nov 05, 2016 at 11:11 AM »

Salamat! Are building a passive preamp? I meet Gerry while he was bringing a Rotary Switch for You. How's that project going?

Ok na ok yung passive pre amp/transformer volume controll sir john very tranparent ang effect and dead silent. Bumagay sya sa system ko.
tube + audio nirvana = beyond...

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Nov 05, 2016 at 11:48 AM »
we are buying the smallest variac in the market to experiment on using as a passive volume control........
last time i checked, costs about 500 each....kung hind bagay then we can still use it for another project.........;)

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Nov 05, 2016 at 12:22 PM »
Thanks for pointing it out that it was due to band limited TL783. I could not explain the reason behind but when I listened to it at first, parang vocalist na nagpipigil kumanta. I was almost into the conclusion that Screen/G2 CCS would be better than CCS at the cathode hehehe. Choice of parts pa rin pala :)

horses for courses nga.....i have resisted the irge to use them in my circuits, but i am willing to give
Garry  Pim a try using mosfet cascodes ccs in my upcoming 1624 Tabor pp amp....
Bud Purvine who coaches me in making OPT's gave a lot of hints in making the OPT.....

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Nov 07, 2016 at 05:54 PM »
5447 5809 1051 1121

Ok na ok yung passive pre amp/transformer volume controll sir john very tranparent ang effect and dead silent. Bumagay sya sa system ko.

That's good to hear! :)

horses for courses nga.....i have resisted the irge to use them in my circuits, but i am willing to give
Garry  Pim a try using mosfet cascodes ccs in my upcoming 1624 Tabor pp amp....
Bud Purvine who coaches me in making OPT's gave a lot of hints in making the OPT.....

Yes, me too but maybe later next year. I'm still trying to digest(at least in theory) what you and Bud talked about specially the distributed gap. I got several 1624 from Gerry so Tabor is one on my bucket list :)

Regarding the Variac, the Republic Supermarket you were talking about is the one along Soler St. right?
Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Nov 07, 2016 at 06:57 PM »
Bud gave me training materials but made me promise him not to divulge as long as he is alive....
but i can discuss some clues when we meet at the Dusit Hotel this coming saturday....
btw, i am Dau bound tommorow am.....bibile ng chicharon....after meeting with JunM...

yes, along the republic supermart, there are shops there selling electrical items....

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Nov 08, 2016 at 10:37 AM »
Bud gave me training materials but made me promise him not to divulge as long as he is alive....
but i can discuss some clues when we meet at the Dusit Hotel this coming saturday....
btw, i am Dau bound tommorow am.....bibile ng chicharon....after meeting with JunM...

yes, along the republic supermart, there are shops there selling electrical items....

Thanks, my ears are open for those clues. Let's hope for a good weather over the weekend and a successful exhibit of your amps. ;)

Enjoy your meet-up with JunM.
Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Nov 08, 2016 at 07:39 PM »
ang sarap ng bulalo sa DAU..i met Jun this am......i will go back there again....
see at you 417 on saturday...

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Nov 09, 2016 at 04:40 PM »
ang sarap ng bulalo sa DAU..i met Jun this am......i will go back there again....
see at you 417 on saturday...

Alright see you there.  Punta ako on Saturday after lunch cguro.

I'll try those DAU bulalo sometime and sooner. Only been to Pampanga once :)
Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Nov 09, 2016 at 04:43 PM »
John, sumakit ang tuhod ko sa 15kg na isolation traffo na inuwi ko galing DAU.....

besides bulalo, meron ding surplusan sa paligid ng Sau terminal....sayang at kulang ang oras para maglibot....

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Nov 09, 2016 at 07:27 PM »
John, sumakit ang tuhod ko sa 15kg na isolation traffo na inuwi ko galing DAU.....

besides bulalo, meron ding surplusan sa paligid ng Sau terminal....sayang at kulang ang oras para maglibot....

Wow that sure is heavy. 3000W ba na isolation traffo would be that heavy?

Gerry told me that those 4-125A sockets came from some dealer from Pampanga. So it looks like maraming military surplus dyan.
Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Nov 09, 2016 at 08:15 PM »
Wow that sure is heavy. 3000W ba na isolation traffo would be that heavy?

Gerry told me that those 4-125A sockets came from some dealer from Pampanga. So it looks like maraming military surplus dyan.

a 1kvs 100volt japanese unit.....
DAU is known for military surpluss when the american bases were still in Clark and Subic...

Offline jravacio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 06, 2017 at 07:29 PM »
750Watt Isolation Transformer Project

For DIYers like me Isolation Transformers are a MUST for safety reasons. Also, I was inspired to create my own after seeing Tony's isolation transformer during the HiFI show.

Isolation transformer generally has a winding ratio 1:1 with a Faraday Shield to block capacitive coupling between the primary and secondary windings. However, for this project it is not exactly a 1:1 ratio because the input voltage is computed at 240 and the output voltage is 220V. Mains at our home normally run 237V during daytime and 244v during night time. That drives the reason why I decided to make it 240->220. Another advantage of doing it is when the main voltage surges about 10 volts my output will only go up to 230 Max.

External design
My day job mostly deals with Operator Interface software applications for industrial plant. Interface designs are geared at displaying software representation of Analog panel meters which displays measurements (e.g. flow, pressure, etc) which is awesome. But this inspires me to use the real and tangible panel meters for this project.

In almost all of my builds I liked to use only 3 colors.. In this case Silver, blue and black. This keeps the appearance clean and neat. Color combination is also critical.

Transformer winding

Primary Winding

Faraday's shield

Secondary Winding

Transformer work done

Enclosure Work

Got this custom made from Unity Metalworks at Sta. Cruz Manila (2mm)

Here's a snapshot of my newly acquired drill press.

Drill bits and Personal Protective equipment

52mm hole saw

Drilling done

Paint Job

Final build

Testing
This shows that when the line voltage is 242 the output is 222volts. There's always a 20volt difference between the input and output. At almost full load voltage drops around 6 volts.

What can be improved?
I had a chat with Edrel and got his advice to make a multi-tap primary the next time around. It's always a good idea to change the ratio when more power is needed.

Acknowledgements

Well I'd like to thank the usual suspects when in comes to DIY. That is Tony Tecson and Edrel Sison. And mostly to my wife who checks the visuals in all my builds.

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017 at 07:38 PM by jravacio »
Rock n' Roll \,,/

Offline parasound

• Collector
  • Tubo at Papel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #88 on: Feb 06, 2017 at 10:44 PM »
 Well done, very nice looking case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange.. Fullrange

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 07:34 AM »
no stopping John now......more tubes to come.....