Author Topic: Time for a "cool change"  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Time for a "cool change"
« on: Jun 29, 2015 at 07:37 AM »
It's been awhile since I last visited the forums, heck, it's been even longer since I went out of my way to look at some real cool displays. Regardless, of how much you love the hobby it just dies all of a sudden then it kinda creeps back in. Slow, step by step, not as exciting as the 2007/2008 days where IQ was the only thing. No smart functionalities, no weird shapes, and where the obvious was more obvious (Plasma ran pass the liquid lights).

My Panasonic work horse (V20 Plasma) died last Saturday, didn't want to switch on, no good byes.. it just DIED! That was a four year old wonder and I won't even trouble myself to fix it. It needed a change...a cool change.

After many years of being "away" from the hobby, I took the liberty of visiting the SM appliance store in Mega Mall to find an immediate replacement. Forget the curve TVs I'm not going for it, it felt different and sorry --- weird:)

The Sony 4k was interesting (spent some time in the Sony Showroom), but native 4k content is not yet easy to come by. However, this is my front runner now.

I know I missed alot these past years, and maybe you guys have some suggestions for me.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2015 at 07:43 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline zechs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Time for a "cool change"
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2015 at 08:59 AM »
55J6300 from samsung. Don't know if its the biggest Full HD that you can get but that is a good model.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2015 at 09:33 AM »
^ You may get more response if posted on this thread http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,199049.msg2280732.html#msg228073

If coming from the Panasonic V90, you will notice most new Panels will seem to have too much glare/shine towards you when viewing in dark rooms. I still miss the non-glare Panasonic V90.

Happy Hunting!
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline dm1179

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2015 at 10:08 AM »
@Carlo777: IIRC, the Panasonic V20 came in 42" and 50" size.

What TV size are you looking for right now? What is the maximum budget? Unless no budget constraint.
...guaranteed to rock your world!

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2015 at 03:03 PM »
@Carlo777: IIRC, the Panasonic V20 came in 42" and 50" size.

What TV size are you looking for right now? What is the maximum budget? Unless no budget constraint.

No constraints for now. Thank you.

^ You may get more response if posted on this thread http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,199049.msg2280732.html#msg228073

If coming from the Panasonic V90, you will notice most new Panels will seem to have too much glare/shine towards you when viewing in dark rooms. I still miss the non-glare Panasonic V90.

Happy Hunting!

Yes I'll look at the thread. Thank you.

55J6300 from samsung. Don't know if its the biggest Full HD that you can get but that is a good model.

Thank you. I'll try to keep this in the Japanese side of the fence for now:)

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2015 at 06:37 PM »
It's been awhile since I last visited the forums, heck, it's been even longer since I went out of my way to look at some real cool displays. Regardless, of how much you love the hobby it just dies all of a sudden then it kinda creeps back in. Slow, step by step, not as exciting as the 2007/2008 days where IQ was the only thing. No smart functionalities, no weird shapes, and where the obvious was more obvious (Plasma ran pass the liquid lights).

My Panasonic work horse (V20 Plasma) died last Saturday, didn't want to switch on, no good byes.. it just DIED! That was a four year old wonder and I won't even trouble myself to fix it. It needed a change...a cool change.

After many years of being "away" from the hobby, I took the liberty of visiting the SM appliance store in Mega Mall to find an immediate replacement. Forget the curve TVs I'm not going for it, it felt different and sorry --- weird:)

The Sony 4k was interesting (spent some time in the Sony Showroom), but native 4k content is not yet easy to come by. However, this is my front runner now.

I know I missed alot these past years, and maybe you guys have some suggestions for me.

Thank you.

you don't like the current crop of Curved 4K tv's? I think they're awesome! it's almost like having 3D without the glasses. :D  their black levels are pretty good too.
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2015 at 01:21 AM »
you don't like the current crop of Curved 4K tv's? I think they're awesome! it's almost like having 3D without the glasses. :D  their black levels are pretty good too.

Thank you for all the advise.

I'm going for the Sony 4k TV. It's something new, let's see how it really plays up:)

Offline zechs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2015 at 07:53 AM »
Get the sony 4K android tv if its available already. That would be the best bet.

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2015 at 05:23 PM »
LG flat OLED