Author Topic: Nvidia shield console  (Read 99756 times)

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: Nvidia shield console
« Reply #270 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 01:26 PM »
the 16 gb is too small to fit all your apps,  my suggestion is you buy a USB drive with fast read speed say 128 gb and adopt it as internal and you install all your apps here,  then use the other USB slot for removable storage of the size of your choice and use that for copying files that can be later plugged to other devices

I got myself a new PNY 64GB Turbo USB 3.0... this one I'll adopt with upcoming NVidia

i'm counting 3 more days for it to be held in my hands =))

Offline xxadonisxx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #271 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 01:59 PM »
I got myself a new PNY 64GB Turbo USB 3.0... this one I'll adopt with upcoming NVidia

i'm counting 3 more days for it to be held in my hands =))

in my case i used a samsung evo ultra micro sd 64 gb and adopted it as storage

Offline giankoski

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 06:25 PM »

Sir Ikaw ren yung Adonis sa TPC? Yung TS?

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 06:41 PM »
Sir Ikaw ren yung Adonis sa TPC? Yung TS?
yes ako

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 06:56 PM »

yes, yan ang maganda samsung EVO.. may flashdrive nadin ba nyan, sir?  TIA!

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 07:02 PM »
yes, yan ang maganda samsung EVO.. may flashdrive nadin ba nyan, sir?  TIA!
I'm not sure eh Pero nung time na bumili kasi ako nyan mahal na yan 64gb,  sa Lazada ko nabili. Kung may makukuha ka 128 mas maganda kasi sa ngayon 30gb na lang Free space ko

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #276 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 09:10 PM »
^ I think not,  harmony relies on the IR blaster port of the 2015 model

I thought the 2015 model only has a IR receiver port and not a IR blaster port?

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #277 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 09:59 PM »
Paid for the shipment of my 2017 shield controller, initial price was 900 plus then after applying discount on citibank it shrunk to 770 pesos. Here is the item pic from shipping cart

San ka umorder sir?

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Feb 12, 2017 at 10:18 PM »

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Feb 13, 2017 at 01:02 AM »
@xxadonisxx, how did you get the 2017 controller for P900 = USD18?

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Feb 13, 2017 at 05:53 AM »
@xxadonisxx, how did you get the 2017 controller for P900 = USD18?

that was shipping 900 discounted to 770. Controller price was & $59.99

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Feb 13, 2017 at 06:16 AM »
I thought the 2015 model only has a IR receiver port and not a IR blaster port?
yes receiver not blaster thanks for clarification

Offline giankoski

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Feb 13, 2017 at 08:13 PM »
Anyone who is using Plex or Kodi to play movies connected to a NAS ( DLINK DNS 320L) or any NAS like QNAP & Synology. How's the performance when playing 4K movies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Feb 14, 2017 at 07:27 AM »
Anyone who is using Plex or Kodi to play movies connected to a NAS ( DLINK DNS 320L) or any NAS like QNAP & Synology. How's the performance when playing 4K movies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
have not tried that kind of setup but I have tried 1tb hard disk connected to my Asus rt ac87u router and thru dlna I can watch 4k samples from LG (chess) without a hitch via 5g or Lan cable in kodi or spmc

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Feb 14, 2017 at 03:08 PM »
lucky, very lucky me...

I've learned this Monday we have a colleague sent to NJ and will stay there for only 2 weeks.  I immediately asked him for a favor. another fortunate thing, he's with the same office branch as my boss in the US.

so in short, I asked my boss to purchase for me in AMAZON and deliver to his home then hand it to our colleague.  both guys agreed yesterday and the items has been booked immediately!

-- NVidia Shield 2017
-- Shield Stand

I might have them on/before Valentine's Day -- fingers-crossed =))

finally I've got mine held in my arms...  sweet Valentine's Day indeed =))

when I get back home, i will:
- check for the OS version and firmware and set-off the auto-update -- and will not connect with Wi-Fi yet
- check if this has an internal/built-in media player, if none, will install Kodi 17 & SPMC
  - check with 1 4K HDR movie via HDD with its USB
     - check if HDR comes up
     - check if ATMOS is passed-thru
  - check with some FHD movies via HDD with its USB
     - check if DTS:X is passed-thru
- connect with Wi-Fi and install 1 or 2 Android games
- install ES File Explorer
  - copy emu's and roms to its local storage
- adopt my PNY 64GB USB 3.0 flashdrive
   - transfer the emu's and roms from local storage to the adopted flashdrive
- play some and some more games...

wish me luck =))

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Feb 14, 2017 at 03:16 PM »
have not tried that kind of setup but I have tried 1tb hard disk connected to my Asus rt ac87u router and thru dlna I can watch 4k samples from LG (chess) without a hitch via 5g or Lan cable in kodi or spmc

LG chess is a BT2020 HDR sample file...  sir xxadonisxx, was there an HDR notif that came up on your B6 playing this file?  with the media info on B6, it should also indicate if its BT2020 and HDR... TIA!

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Feb 14, 2017 at 04:01 PM »
LG chess is a BT2020 HDR sample file...  sir xxadonisxx, was there an HDR notif that came up on your B6 playing this file?  with the media info on B6, it should also indicate if its BT2020 and HDR... TIA!
yes, there was an HDR notification pop up on my Lg Oled B6p, and yes it is BT2020 on the info screen

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Feb 14, 2017 at 05:03 PM »
yes, there was an HDR notification pop up on my Lg Oled B6p, and yes it is BT2020 on the info screen

wow! thanks and that's while using Kodi or SPMC, right?  TIA!

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Feb 14, 2017 at 06:49 PM »
yes

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 01:06 AM »

yes

the best.. thanks, sir!

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #290 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 01:14 AM »
finally I've got mine held in my arms...  sweet Valentine's Day indeed =))

when I get back home, i will:
- check for the OS version and firmware and set-off the auto-update -- and will not connect with Wi-Fi yet
- check if this has an internal/built-in media player, if none, will install Kodi 17 & SPMC
  - check with 1 4K HDR movie via HDD with its USB
     - check if HDR comes up
  - check with some FHD movies via HDD with its USB
- connect with Wi-Fi and install 1 or 2 Android games
- install ES File Explorer
  - copy emu's and roms to its local storage
- adopt my PNY 64GB USB 3.0 flashdrive
   - transfer the emu's and roms from local storage to the adopted flashdrive
- play some and some more games...

wish me luck =))

post-Valentine's Day set-up.. okay, so I unpacked, took pics and did minor connection with my TV first.

initially, it will find your controller & remote, ask for your language (I chose US English) and location (I said NO) if you have an android phone, it will force you to connect with it and give you a key to input to your phone to pair up.  then it asks for your google account (huh?).  it will then ask you to connect thru Wi-Fi router (maybe it sensed there are available Wi-Fi signals, it didn't offer me to connect thru Ethernet).  and so now it will force to bring you to its 5.0.1 SHIELD Experience Update... =))

what the!!!  none of my review approach above has happened so far!  all are forced to you step-by-step or else you won't get to the next proceedings..  update size is 1.07GB

Zzzzzzz....
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2017 at 01:19 AM by mhacman »

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 02:11 AM »
post-Valentine's Day set-up.. okay, so I unpacked, took pics and did minor connection with my TV first.

initially, it will find your controller & remote, ask for your language (I chose US English) and location (I said NO) if you have an android phone, it will force you to connect with it and give you a key to input to your phone to pair up.  then it asks for your google account (huh?).  it will then ask you to connect thru Wi-Fi router (maybe it sensed there are available Wi-Fi signals, it didn't offer me to connect thru Ethernet).  and so now it will force to bring you to its 5.0.1 SHIELD Experience Update... =))

what the!!!  none of my review approach above has happened so far!  all are forced to you step-by-step or else you won't get to the next proceedings..  update size is 1.07GB

Zzzzzzz....

Initial pains.  At first it took me an hour for everything before I can use it. Updates takes up most of the time.

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 07:15 AM »

Zzzzzzz....

if your Lan cable is plugged then it will automatically use the Lan Internet instead of WiFi, you will need to enter your Google account so that Google play store would be active,  you would notice that compatible games that you purchased on your Android phone can also be installed on your shield. For me the update only took 8 minutes on Pldt fibr 50mbps so I did not get on the Zzzzzzz part Hehe. Also if you would be using Amazon videos you would need to turn off location setting for its icon to show on the dashboard.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2017 at 09:37 AM by xxadonisxx »

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 03:54 PM »
^ yes sir, haha..  it took about +20mins to update, then it restarted 2x.. I realized it took my google account from my phone -- I said "duh??" perhaps since we've bought an Android device means it expects us to have a Google account.  so what if the consumer is a first time Android user (who knows if Apple-user pala siya) =))

anyway after that, the very 1st time I saw the NVidia start-up logo and the Google/Android start-up logo and there it is!  the main screen =))

I turned-off auto-update and opted to be notified.  checked others like display/audio configuration and some more...

- check if this has an internal/built-in media player                                                               ---- yes, it played my files but there's nothing more to it
  - check with 1 4K HDR movie via HDD with its USB                                                             ---- yes, it played 4K HDR & 1080p either AVC or HEVC
     - check if HDR comes up                                                                                                   ---- yes, my TV notified me the HDR feature turned on
     - check if ATMOS is passed-thru                                                                                       ---- i was connected with my TV only, so NO
  - check with some FHD movies via HDD with its USB                                                          ---- yes
- connect with Wi-Fi and install 1 or 2 Android games                                                         ---- yes, done
- install ES File Explorer                                                                                                          ---- yes, done
  - copy emu's and roms to its local storage                                                                          ---- yes, done

so now with Kodi 17:
- configured video & audio (most especially) and it worked like a breeze =))
- changed skin from Estuary to Confluence -- I really liked this default skin from 16.1
- played all VIDEO formats: 4K, 4K HDR, 1080p and 720p seems to be better upscaled, AVC (8bit & 10bit), HEVC (8bit & 10bit)
- played all AUDIO codecs
  - ATMOS, DTS:X passed-thru without any glitches

also installed 1 android game (Minions Rush hehe), as per quick test, all controller buttons are working fine

to be fair, I did encounter a little hiccup -- NSATV to DENON AVR had a short HDMI handshake issue... note the same HDMI cable is used during my initial testing with NSATV which I connected it with the TV first...

this hiccup was about the display on my TV going on/off every after few seconds.  but I just let them be.  though its interrupting me during my set-up/configurations with Kodi which I could have finished quicker =))  what else I did was to restart NSATV and turned off/on the Denon AVR.  and after that, display is stable =))

to be continued for the emu/roms and maybe just 1 NVidia game, soon =))

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 04:35 PM »
^ mag member ka na ng geforce now, nakakatuwa mag games kasi para kang naka ssd na hard drive, blazing fast ang pag load ng games, seconds lang pag pindot ng start asa main game na agad, halos i skip ang loading screen ng mga games. tapos ang graphics setting sa mga games lahat automatic naka ultimate. as of now planning ako mag build ng hi end pc for gamestreaming, although pwede naman sa laptop ko kasi naka gtx 850m ako na card.

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 05:18 PM »
^ yes sir, haha..  it took about +20mins to update, then it restarted 2x.. I realized it took my google account from my phone -- I said "duh??" perhaps since we've bought an Android device means it expects us to have a Google account.  so what if the consumer is a first time Android user (who knows if Apple-user pala siya) =))

anyway after that, the very 1st time I saw the NVidia start-up logo and the Google/Android start-up logo and there it is!  the main screen =))

I turned-off auto-update and opted to be notified.  checked others like display/audio configuration and some more...

- check if this has an internal/built-in media player                                                               ---- yes, it played my files but there's nothing more to it
  - check with 1 4K HDR movie via HDD with its USB                                                             ---- yes, it played 4K HDR & 1080p either AVC or HEVC
     - check if HDR comes up                                                                                                   ---- yes, my TV notified me the HDR feature turned on
     - check if ATMOS is passed-thru                                                                                       ---- i was connected with my TV only, so NO
  - check with some FHD movies via HDD with its USB                                                          ---- yes
- connect with Wi-Fi and install 1 or 2 Android games                                                         ---- yes, done
- install ES File Explorer                                                                                                          ---- yes, done
  - copy emu's and roms to its local storage                                                                          ---- yes, done

so now with Kodi 17:
- configured video & audio (most especially) and it worked like a breeze =))
- changed skin from Estuary to Confluence -- I really liked this default skin from 16.1
- played all VIDEO formats: 4K, 4K HDR, 1080p and 720p seems to be better upscaled, AVC (8bit & 10bit), HEVC (8bit & 10bit)
- played all AUDIO codecs
  - ATMOS, DTS:X passed-thru without any glitches

also installed 1 android game (Minions Rush hehe), as per quick test, all controller buttons are working fine

to be fair, I did encounter a little hiccup -- NSATV to DENON AVR had a short HDMI handshake issue... note the same HDMI cable is used during my initial testing with NSATV which I connected it with the TV first...

this hiccup was about the display on my TV going on/off every after few seconds.  but I just let them be.  though its interrupting me during my set-up/configurations with Kodi which I could have finished quicker =))  what else I did was to restart NSATV and turned off/on the Denon AVR.  and after that, display is stable =))
ued for the emu/roms and maybe just 1 NVidia game, soon =))

SPMC and try auto refresh or frame rate switching.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 05:43 PM »
^ mag member ka na ng geforce now, nakakatuwa mag games kasi para kang naka ssd na hard drive, blazing fast ang pag load ng games, seconds lang pag pindot ng start asa main game na agad, halos i skip ang loading screen ng mga games. tapos ang graphics setting sa mga games lahat automatic naka ultimate. as of now planning ako mag build ng hi end pc for gamestreaming, although pwede naman sa laptop ko kasi naka gtx 850m ako na card.

sana walang bayad..   >:D

kaya ba ng 3Mbps bandwidth?

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 05:44 PM »

SPMC and try auto refresh or frame rate switching.

yes, sir... will try it our with SPMC too...

okay na okay na, wala nang handshake issue -- best friends na sila  ::)

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 05:53 PM »
sana walang bayad..   >:D

kaya ba ng 3Mbps bandwidth?
Yun lang may bayad talaga,  eto quoted from Google search "The service can deliver up to 60 frames per second at 1080p, but Nvidia recommends a downstream speed of at least 50 Mbps for that. The recommended speed drops to 20 Mbps for a stream of 720p at 60 fps, and 10 Mbps is the minimum for GeForce Now"

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 06:12 PM »
Yun lang may bayad talaga,  eto quoted from Google search "The service can deliver up to 60 frames per second at 1080p, but Nvidia recommends a downstream speed of at least 50 Mbps for that. The recommended speed drops to 20 Mbps for a stream of 720p at 60 fps, and 10 Mbps is the minimum for GeForce Now"

haha yun lang & seems the same with Netflix online streaming requirement..

oh well, back to my basic needs then =)) the only reasons I've opted for this and pulled the trigger are:
1. best NMT for offline movie watching -- if not for ATMOS/DTS:X, I'm already fine with TV's built-in media player
2. my kids are starting to love Android gaming on TV -- if it's not because of gamepad controller being difficult to match with other Android TV boxes, I should be fine with my WeTek
3. I don't want too many devices at hand, hence THIS NVidia! will really give what I'll need in just a single box:
    -- total satisfaction with offline movies
    -- Android game console with a dedicated (and fool-proof) game controller

if ever I get that Fibr account, I won't hesitate to do online streaming and NVidia games, too!