Author Topic: Nvidia shield console  (Read 99731 times)

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Nvidia shield console
« Reply #330 on: Mar 23, 2017 at 04:15 PM »
16 gb, I think... Would I be able to appreciate using it here in our country? What about games?

Things to be aware off.

1 500 gb pro hd issue. Signs of a failing hd is pixelated recommendation row.
2. Hissing power supply which nvidia is willing to replace by sending yiu a replacement if you have the issue.

3.  Game controller sync issue. Check thr controller is connectiion is stable.

Ask adonis about. Streaming contrent. He is using a vpn so he has access to everything. If you do not have a VPN subscription some content eont be available.

There is no issue with downloadable games, i cannot say anything about game stream  service since i do not game much.

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #331 on: Mar 24, 2017 at 08:23 AM »
@DPT, sir, yung hissing sound ba, audible sa unit mismo or sa audio ng TV sya lalabas? Sa PC monitor lang kasi i-tetest ko ang unit dito sa office ko... wala akong TV dito...

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Mar 24, 2017 at 02:51 PM »
@DPT, sir, yung hissing sound ba, audible sa unit mismo or sa audio ng TV sya lalabas? Sa PC monitor lang kasi i-tetest ko ang unit dito sa office ko... wala akong TV dito...

Sa  brick power supply mismo ng shield.

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #333 on: Mar 24, 2017 at 03:16 PM »
@nallasatral, tama ka it should be 2015.. there's no 2016 NVidia, only 2015 and 2017

wala ako issue sa hissing sound, 2017 16GB NSATV owner here..

to know if 16GB 2015, mas malaki gamepad, no flat remote (or mabuti kung meron, then ang sabi USB chargeable siya so may mini USB port dapat).. meron ON button sa Nvidia logo

to know if 16GB 2017, kabaligtaran ng 16GB 2015

if 500GB yung ibebenta sayo, smaller 2017 gamepad controller + 2015 flat remote and kasama

congratz in advance!

Offline Galactus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #334 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 02:51 AM »
My Shield Pro just arrived from Amazon last Wednesday. Was surprised that Kodi didn't come pre-installed, so I had to download it from Playstore, along with VLC and ES File Explorer

Downloading the Shield 5.1 experience was quite annoying. It's a 1.08 gigabyte file, and it took me over 105 minutes on a 10 mbps connection

Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 04:24 AM »
My Shield Pro just arrived from Amazon last Wednesday. Was surprised that Kodi didn't come pre-installed, so I had to download it from Playstore, along with VLC and ES File Explorer

Downloading the Shield 5.1 experience was quite annoying. It's a 1.08 gigabyte file, and it took me over 105 minutes on a 10 mbps connection

Kodi is not the preferred media center software for NSATV.

NSATV owners use SPMC, a  NSATV  customized fork of kodi.  The Developer of SPMC is the previous Android maintainer of KODI and he uses the NSATV as his main developement box. Actually SPMC is specifically targeted for NSATV but supports other boxes that has amlogic chips.

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 05:39 AM »
Thanks @DPT and @mhacman, the one I bought is a 2015 NSATV.... Used lan for update Shield 5.1 experience and it took me about 25 mins to download on a 5mbps connection. Can I use a wireless mouse as a remote? I tied a wired mouse at the office, but I had difficulty navigating.  There are also 2 kinds of wireless mouse- Bluetooth and the other one with the small usb thingy to be attached to the unit, which one should I go? Although, I prefer the latter (not the Bluetooth version due to battery concerns), any suggestion?... Since my 2015 NSATV is a 16gb version, I have read somewhere that if I have an external hdd attached to it, the hdd would be unreadable to the PC?
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2017 at 06:00 AM by nallasartal »

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 06:58 AM »
Sirs, one reason for buying the NSATV is for my kids to play using it. Not really for me since I am not into it. My question is: My kids have Steam accounts as well as Blizzard account, would they be able to play them in NSATV? Although Nvidia have dedicated games, it appears that I need to have fast internet connection, which I do not have due to location here in Cebu (no fiber yet in my area). I have only a 3mbps connection... So again, would they be able to use their Steam and Blizzard accounts?

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 02:33 PM »
Thanks @DPT and @mhacman, the one I bought is a 2015 NSATV.... Used lan for update Shield 5.1 experience and it took me about 25 mins to download on a 5mbps connection. Can I use a wireless mouse as a remote? I tied a wired mouse at the office, but I had difficulty navigating.  There are also 2 kinds of wireless mouse- Bluetooth and the other one with the small usb thingy to be attached to the unit, which one should I go? Although, I prefer the latter (not the Bluetooth version due to battery concerns), any suggestion?... Since my 2015 NSATV is a 16gb version, I have read somewhere that if I have an external hdd attached to it, the hdd would be unreadable to the PC?

An IR usb dongle based remote  is more foolproof. Although you need line of sight to some respect to have it working. 

I think what you want/need  is an Airmouse. An airmouse does not need a flat surface to use. Just wave it in the air after you have calibrated it.

I highly recommend this airmouse.   It works flawlessly  with shield  android tv. All buttons are working, back, home, context menu.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/c120-t10-fly-air-mouse-24ghz-rechargeable-wireless-keyboard-remotecontrol-for-android-tv-box-pc-5518344.html

http://www.lazada.com.ph/c120-all-in-one-24ghz-air-mouse-qwerty-keyboard-remote-controllerwith-nano-usb-receiver-for-hdtv-computer-android-yellow-intl-6825968.html

This is the specific one that works 99% with NSATV. There is something/similar that looks the same but the bottom three buttons is not android  back, home, context menu and should be avoided.

It is a air mouse and keyboard combo with the bonus of turning off the air mouse function if you want it purely as a directional control. Sort of rare for a air mouse. Most air mouse automatically wakes up/turns on the air mouse function after you turn it off.

If i am not mistaken. NSATV will format your HDD if you use it as adoptive storage. Which means NSATV will treat your HDD as part of system storage space.

It will not format it if it just used as a  external storage. I could be wrong though.

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2017 at 02:35 PM by DPT »

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 02:41 PM »
Sirs, one reason for buying the NSATV is for my kids to play using it. Not really for me since I am not into it. My question is: My kids have Steam accounts as well as Blizzard account, would they be able to play them in NSATV? Although Nvidia have dedicated games, it appears that I need to have fast internet connection, which I do not have due to location here in Cebu (no fiber yet in my area). I have only a 3mbps connection... So again, would they be able to use their Steam and Blizzard accounts?

Steam integration is one of the feature of the update 5.1.   Steam and blizzard games are usually PC games. If you want to use your steam account you need to use gamestream  using your Desktop PC and cast the games to your shield/tv.

Games the NSATV have are PC games that have been ported to the android OS. If you want to play PC games to your TV, use the gamestream feature and cast the games on your PC to your TV/shield  and play it with the NSATV controller.

Your desktop pc though needs to have a Nvidia geforce card.

You need to check if the games are supported by gamestream. Although the list is long, you need to check it.

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2017 at 02:43 PM by DPT »

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 02:54 PM »
I have an AMD video card, maybe in the future when I will upgrade my PC, my graphics card should be nvidia...

Offline Galactus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 03:30 PM »
Guys, help!

My NSATV Pro kept rebooting. So I did a fast reset. But now, all I keep seeing on the monitor are 3 red concentric circles after the Nvidia logo.  It's been this way now for over 15 minutes!

Did I brick my unit??

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 03:31 PM »

just plug-in your usb external HDD... and use it as source to play your movies.  it's safe not get formatted by NVidia as it's found within the Setting-->Storage-->---

same purpose as well getting the NSATV, for me to use it as media player (esp Atmos/DTS:X pass-through) both via KODI/SPMC -- which I'm planning to uninstall one of them

and for game playing for me & kids -- though (FREE) Android games only + I installed emulator to play with some classic Nintendo games like Mario  ;)

I just tried playing a 3D movie with SPMC, it could decode/pass-through 3D format   ^-^

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 03:33 PM »
Guys, help!

My NSATV Pro kept rebooting. So I did a fast reset. But now, all I keep seeing on the monitor are 3 red concentric circles after the Nvidia logo.  It's been this way now for over 15 minutes!

Did I brick my unit??

Disable location services if you get to boot.

Try unplugging Ethernet cable while booting.

Try other TVs. It has been an issue  with tvs, like I had one before.

My guess it is location services. It is a common issue for Owners who are not in the US,
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2017 at 03:35 PM by DPT »

Offline Galactus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Mar 25, 2017 at 09:01 PM »
Hehe, the Shield was just rebooting. Searching the net revealed that resetting it to factory specs may take 2 or more hours. 

I panicked since there were no messages shown on TV while the resetting was taking place.  Besides, 2.5 hours to reset a gadget seems an eternity.

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Mar 26, 2017 at 11:07 AM »
so hopefully, okay na Shield Pro mo sir...

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Mar 26, 2017 at 05:53 PM »
Steam integration is one of the feature of the update 5.1.   Steam and blizzard games are usually PC games. If you want to use your steam account you need to use gamestream  using your Desktop PC and cast the games to your shield/tv.

Games the NSATV have are PC games that have been ported to the android OS. If you want to play PC games to your TV, use the gamestream feature and cast the games on your PC to your TV/shield  and play it with the NSATV controller.

Your desktop pc though needs to have a Nvidia geforce card.

You need to check if the games are supported by gamestream. Although the list is long, you need to check it.

Sir question: Since my Graphics card in the PC is AMD, now can my kids use their Steam and Blizzard accounts and install the games in the Nvidia Shield as a stand alone devise so that they may play the game in the NSATV without casting from the PC? Sorry for my noob question....

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Mar 26, 2017 at 09:50 PM »
Sir question: Since my Graphics card in the PC is AMD, now can my kids use their Steam and Blizzard accounts and install the games in the Nvidia Shield as a stand alone devise so that they may play the game in the NSATV without casting from the PC? Sorry for my noob question....

Since you have an AMD Video card. You can try Moonlight. It is an alternative but I am not sure how it works.

You cannot install PC games into your NSATV unless it has a android version of the game.

If it has an android version of the PC games you own in steam or blizzard.    I am not sure if you have to buy the android version on top the PC version you own.   

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Mar 27, 2017 at 08:38 AM »

Since you have an AMD Video card. You can try Moonlight. It is an alternative but I am not sure how it works.

You cannot install PC games into your NSATV unless it has a android version of the game.

If it has an android version of the PC games you own in steam or blizzard.    I am not sure if you have to buy the android version on top the PC version you own.   

Thanks for your reply. Anyway, Moonlight appears to still require an NVIDIA VC in the PC. The only advantage of using moonlight is to do away the monthly subscription....

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: Mar 27, 2017 at 11:42 AM »
if you own games in steam and want to stream it directly to nvidia shield there is no need for monthly subscription. you must have an nvidia graphics card capable of gamestreaming technology. the hardware of your pc will handle the transcoding and beam it so it can be viewed on your large screen tv connected to the shield. if you pc is high end then the graphics quality will also be top notch, also be sure to use the ethernet port instead of wifi to have a more stable stream.

you would only need subscription if you will use nvidia gamestream, the difference is that only certain games advertised by nvidia can take advantage of the service. nvidia servers will be the one to do the transcoding and your nvidia shield would accept the stream directly from the nvidia servers, which mean you must have a super fast internet speed and good latency. i have a pldt 50mbps fibr connection and the stream is flawless. think of it as watching netflix, but instead of a movie, you are playing instead.

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 06:23 AM »
if you own games in steam and want to stream it directly to nvidia shield there is no need for monthly subscription. you must have an nvidia graphics card capable of gamestreaming technology. the hardware of your pc will handle the transcoding and beam it so it can be viewed on your large screen tv connected to the shield. if you pc is high end then the graphics quality will also be top notch, also be sure to use the ethernet port instead of wifi to have a more stable stream.

you would only need subscription if you will use nvidia gamestream, the difference is that only certain games advertised by nvidia can take advantage of the service. nvidia servers will be the one to do the transcoding and your nvidia shield would accept the stream directly from the nvidia servers, which mean you must have a super fast internet speed and good latency. i have a pldt 50mbps fibr connection and the stream is flawless. think of it as watching netflix, but instead of a movie, you are playing instead.

Thanks for clarifying me on this. TY

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 06:27 AM »
Question: Why can't I download some game apps in Play Store, like Mortal Kombat X on my Nvidia Shield? However, such game is playable on my other device? On Youtube, that game seems to be playable in our Play Store, is there some settings that I need to do, so that I can download such a game? What fighting games can I download in Play Store which is playable on our Nvidia Shield?

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #352 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 07:30 AM »
Question: Why can't I download some game apps in Play Store, like Mortal Kombat X on my Nvidia Shield? However, such game is playable on my other device? On Youtube, that game seems to be playable in our Play Store, is there some settings that I need to do, so that I can download such a game? What fighting games can I download in Play Store which is playable on our Nvidia Shield?

Sideload mo na lang siya sir

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 08:26 AM »
I am new to this. so please be patient with my noob questions. I have read somewhere about PPSSPP, is it ok to use this to play games using our Nvidia Shield TV? Is it complicated?

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 09:39 AM »
Sideload mo na lang siya sir
Sir, how to download an apk? pwede of my android phone transfer it to the micro sd attached to my Nvidia Shield TV? Can I download and install it to my phone then transfer it to the micro sd attached to my Nvidia Shield TV?
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2017 at 09:53 AM by nallasartal »

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #355 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 10:37 AM »
Sir, how to download an apk? pwede of my android phone transfer it to the micro sd attached to my Nvidia Shield TV? Can I download and install it to my phone then transfer it to the micro sd attached to my Nvidia Shield TV?

The reason why some apps are not available sa playstore is because the Shield is running a flavor of Android called Android TV, it has it's own classification for apps. Hence apps that are not designed for TV (meaning not remote friendly) will by default be not available.

For sideloading, best talaga if you just visit youtube and search for "nvidia shield sideload" so you will learn how to. Much faster than typing it all out here.

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 01:26 PM »

search apk salamin. But instead salami should be in english. And get the apk

You need to install a file manager to browse to where you downloaded the apk.

You need to enable install for unknown sources under settings-about if I am not mistaken.

Android TV was made to address the issue of  apps designed for touch screen devices being run on non touch devices like TVs. Android TVs interface was designed for regular tvs to large screen tvs and  projectors. 

If you have a app designed for phones and tables and you need to run it on a  non touch devices. You might need an Air mouse to simulate taps and clicks.

Offline Galactus

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 01:42 PM »
I've enabled pass through on both the Shield settings and Kodi/ SPMC. But my receiver still displays PCM. Only Dolby Digital seems to be getting through. All other audio formats are displayed in my receiver (Yamaha 677)  as PCM

But when I click the Info button, the proper audio format is displayed.

I must have missed something

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #358 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 01:58 PM »
search apk salamin. But instead salami should be in english. And get the apk

You need to install a file manager to browse to where you downloaded the apk.

You need to enable install for unknown sources under settings-about if I am not mistaken.

Android TV was made to address the issue of  apps designed for touch screen devices being run on non touch devices like TVs. Android TVs interface was designed for regular tvs to large screen tvs and  projectors. 

If you have a app designed for phones and tables and you need to run it on a  non touch devices. You might need an Air mouse to simulate taps and clicks.

Pwede yung right analog stick pang click

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 02:10 PM »
Pwede yung right analog stick pang click

That is true.

Clicking is not only the problem. Positioning where to click is another thing. Some apps are done by lazy devs that did not even bother  putting tab orders to there apps when using the positional keys. Even if you use the positional keys  it might cycle to some UI elements but not all because they did not put a organized tab orders.

It just totally assume that you are using a touch interface if they are developing an app that is for a device that has touch interface.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2017 at 02:12 PM by DPT »