Author Topic: Nvidia shield console  (Read 99712 times)

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: Nvidia shield console
« Reply #360 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 03:18 PM »
I've enabled pass through on both the Shield settings and Kodi/ SPMC. But my receiver still displays PCM. Only Dolby Digital seems to be getting through. All other audio formats are displayed in my receiver (Yamaha 677)  as PCM

But when I click the Info button, the proper audio format is displayed.

I must have missed something

what you're encountering is KODI/SPMC issue not NSATV.  I guess you're fine after setting up NSATV to passthrough = yes.

questions:  do you connect NSATV direct to AVR via HDMI (you should be) then AVR to TV via HDMI ARC? and what is your speaker set-up, 5.1 or 7.1?

my observations:
- if your movie source is TrueHD/DTS-HD MA (both are 8ch) and if you're only using 5.1 speakers, then the AVR will downmix it, it might be the reason PCM is indicated in AVR
- do not use S/PDIF cable from TV to AVR as it's only up to 6ch

if you're using full 7.1 or only 5.1 on your Yammy 677,
- ensure you have set the proper # of speakers in Kodi/SPMC
- System-->Settings-->System-->Audio
   - Settings Level: Expert
   - Audio Output device: Android, RAW, Audiotrack
   - # of Channels: 5.1 or 7.1
   - Allow Passthrough: Clicked
   - Passthrough Output device: Android, RAW, Audiotrack
   - enable all codecs capable of Yammy 677

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #361 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 03:50 PM »
I am new to this. so please be patient with my noob questions. I have read somewhere about PPSSPP, is it ok to use this to play games using our Nvidia Shield TV? Is it complicated?

PPSSPP works quite well. If I am not mistaken it is officially on Android TV play store.  It was available on android tv store when NSATV was the only officialy available android TV box.

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #362 on: Mar 31, 2017 at 06:26 AM »
I have another query: I only have one Nvidia game controller and wanted to have another one since I have 2 kids. However, Nvidia game controller is very difficult to find and the price is very high. I have just read that PS4 and Xbox game controllers work on Nvidia Shield. What should I buy the PS4 or Xbox game controller? Would it be difficult to pair them with the Shield?

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Mar 31, 2017 at 11:38 AM »
I have another query: I only have one Nvidia game controller and wanted to have another one since I have 2 kids. However, Nvidia game controller is very difficult to find and the price is very high. I have just read that PS4 and Xbox game controllers work on Nvidia Shield. What should I buy the PS4 or Xbox game controller? Would it be difficult to pair them with the Shield?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/934542/shield-tv/list-with-compatible-usb-adapters-and-gamepads-for-shield-tv/

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Mar 31, 2017 at 05:29 PM »
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/934542/shield-tv/list-with-compatible-usb-adapters-and-gamepads-for-shield-tv/
Thanks for the link...

By the way, is my Nvidia Shield Gamepad(2015 version) Bluetooth based? If I purchase a compatible gamepad (Bluetooth based but non-Shield Gamepad), can these 2 be used at the same time for games allowing multiplayer? 

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Mar 31, 2017 at 09:57 PM »
Thanks for the link...

By the way, is my Nvidia Shield Gamepad(2015 version) Bluetooth based? If I purchase a compatible gamepad (Bluetooth based but non-Shield Gamepad), can these 2 be used at the same time for games allowing multiplayer?

It is direct wifi. Supposed to be less latency when playing compared to Bluetooth.

The 2 different controller was asked before on the shield tv forum. I cannot recall what the answer was
 But most probably yes but i could be wrong.

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Apr 01, 2017 at 06:16 AM »
It is direct wifi. Supposed to be less latency when playing compared to Bluetooth.

The 2 different controller was asked before on the shield tv forum. I cannot recall what the answer was
 But most probably yes but i could be wrong.
Thanks for your replies. They are helpful. After reading various threads, it appears there are issues using various gamepads in multiplayer games. So I now am considering buying another Nvidia Shield Controller, even though that might be more expensive. Again thanks...

Offline Galactus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #367 on: Apr 05, 2017 at 09:01 PM »
My 4K HDR demo videos don't get recognized as such when I play it via the Nvidia Shield.

Pero kung kinabit ko yung HDD directly sa TV, I get a notification that HDR is on. Not sure tuloy if the video I'm watching is being shown in its full HDR splendor hehe
Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Apr 05, 2017 at 09:58 PM »
I don't experience the same way you do.

If I play a HDR content (HDD connected to NSATV or HDD connected to TV USB), both instances I receive a HDR notification from the TV.

you should check if you have the FW 5.01 on your NSATV.  HTH!

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Apr 06, 2017 at 07:59 AM »
I have a minix u9 and I feel that despite the supposed higher specs of my nvidia shield tv 16gb 2015 version, minix runs faster and smoother. By the way my nsatv is already with the latest firmware of 5.1 and my adaptive SD storage is a 64gb samsung evo plus class 10. What should I do? They say factory reset would run up to 2hrs...

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: Apr 06, 2017 at 01:57 PM »
I have a minix u9 and I feel that despite the supposed higher specs of my nvidia shield tv 16gb 2015 version, minix runs faster and smoother. By the way my nsatv is already with the latest firmware of 5.1 and my adaptive SD storage is a 64gb samsung evo plus class 10. What should I do? They say factory reset would run up to 2hrs...

They are running different OS. One is for phones the other is for a full blown tv Os.

Run a benchmark to know for sure.  UI responsiveness is only a part of it. Especially if they are running different OS.   

Also double tap home button when you are using shield to kill running apps on the back. I had at one time. Spmc, spotify, crunchyroll, cnet, youtube and some other apps tunning at the back. This will slow down your box.

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #371 on: Apr 06, 2017 at 08:34 PM »
^Sir, alin dun ang gumagamit ng Phone OS, alin ang TV OS?

Diba pag Android phone OS dapat may "Phonebook" Tab, may "Messages", may "Dial" may "Camera" tab etc? How did you come up na phone OS gamit? 
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2017 at 08:37 PM by rulesmeister »

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Apr 06, 2017 at 11:25 PM »

Diba pag Android phone OS dapat may "Phonebook" Tab, may "Messages", may "Dial" may "Camera" tab etc? How did you come up na phone OS gamit?

Pwede naman i customize.

3 classe lang ng Android as far as i know.

1.android wear. Eto para sa smart watches.

2 . Android for phones and tablets. Eto karamihan ang kino customized sa mga   android box kasi wala madyado gastos at restriction.  Sa mga website sinasabi nila android tv maski hindi talaga android tv os. Kaya minsan weirdo ang behavoir ng apps pag na design for phones at tablet tapos ginamit mo sa tv.

3. Android tv os. Eto ang sa shield at mi box palAng ata. Para eto za tvs at large screen kagaya ng projectors.

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Apr 06, 2017 at 11:28 PM »

Proof dyan kung ano available na apps sa playstore ng   android smartphones available din sa playstore ng generic android box.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2017 at 11:29 PM by DPT »

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Apr 07, 2017 at 07:54 AM »
Now I just realized that minix and other similar setup android boxes are just like phones and tabs, sans touch capabilities, while our nvidia shield tv boxes are designed for tvs

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Apr 07, 2017 at 12:46 PM »
Now I just realized that minix and other similar setup android boxes are just like phones and tabs, sans touch capabilities, while our nvidia shield tv boxes are designed for tvs

Yes. Minix OS or other android boxes were using Vanilla Phone android before Android TV OS was released. Nvidia Shield TV as far as I know is the first box to adopt android TV OS. That is the reason when the Shield TV was new. There were really a few apps available since they only want Android TV OS users to only install Android TV OS ports/version of android phone apps.  This will enhance the user experience since it will have a more coherent UI.

This was also  the reason why they disabled the mouse trackpad functionality of our Shield controllers.  Google forced the issue and said that Android TV OS should have a uniform way of navigating.  To be more appliance like more than being phone like.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2017 at 12:49 PM by DPT »

Offline barcello

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Apr 07, 2017 at 06:50 PM »
May way ba mga boss nai bypass ung update upon startup ?lagi kase failed yung download  :-[

Offline Galactus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Sturmbanfuhrer, Waffen SS
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: Apr 07, 2017 at 10:30 PM »
I finally figured out why HDR isn't working on my rig. Turns out my Yamaha AVX-677 receiver isn't capable of passing through HDR.

Connected the Nvidia Shield directly to the UH7700 HDMI port and it showed the HDR notification. So my workaround is to just use the optical out port to enjoy 5.1 sound.

Bibili na nga lang ako ng HDR-capable na 4K-ready receiver hehe
Ein Staat, Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer!

LG 65" UH7700
Yamaha RXV-677
Denon Sys 5.1
PS3/ Shield

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Apr 08, 2017 at 11:15 AM »
I finally figured out why HDR isn't working on my rig. Turns out my Yamaha AVX-677 receiver isn't capable of passing through HDR.

Connected the Nvidia Shield directly to the UH7700 HDMI port and it showed the HDR notification. So my workaround is to just use the optical out port to enjoy 5.1 sound.

Bibili na nga lang ako ng HDR-capable na 4K-ready receiver hehe

ayun!  there's another piece of the puzzle pala -- AVR...  if you're not keen on ATMOS/DTS:X, stay with your yammy 677.  if you're only keen with TrueHD & DTS-HD MA, use HDMI ARC from tv to AVR -- this should pass-thru upto 8ch audio.

if the former, goodluck hunting for 4K HDR reciever!  =))

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Apr 09, 2017 at 06:43 AM »
Mga brad, I know NSATV is not for web browsing, thus Chrome is not available as one of its downloadable android apps, it can be installed thru sideloading... But then again, even if I have installed Chrome via sideloading, yet I cannot navigate or input anything to search, since there is no cursor and no on screen keyboard... Does that mean that there is no way to browse the internet thru our NSATV?   

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Apr 09, 2017 at 04:22 PM »
Mga brad, I know NSATV is not for web browsing, thus Chrome is not available as one of its downloadable android apps, it can be installed thru sideloading... But then again, even if I have installed Chrome via sideloading, yet I cannot navigate or input anything to search, since there is no cursor and no on screen keyboard... Does that mean that there is no way to browse the internet thru our NSATV?

Get an air mouse. A  cursor appears if you have an air mouse

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Apr 09, 2017 at 06:53 PM »
Thnx. What about a wireless mouse?

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Apr 09, 2017 at 07:34 PM »
Thnx. What about a wireless mouse?

You will need a reflective flat surface to use an ordinary wireless mouse.

An air mouse is like a magic wand. That you wave in the air to make the cursor go left or right. Down or up. Much easier and convenient since it is also a Keyboard + remote controller.

I have not seen a wireless mouse that has a keyboard and also as a remote.

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Apr 14, 2017 at 11:30 AM »
Mga bro. here are some questions:

1. since my internet connection is only around 3mbps, and my kids wants me to install paid-up games from among those listed under nvidia shield games, do I need to be a member and pay monthly membership? Or are there paid games from the listed nvidia shield games na fully downloadable and need no steaming during playing the games?

2. before buying another nvidia game controller, are there several games that allow multiplayer for my 2 kids?

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: Apr 14, 2017 at 02:09 PM »
Mga bro. here are some questions:

1. since my internet connection is only around 3mbps, and my kids wants me to install paid-up games from among those listed under nvidia shield games, do I need to be a member and pay monthly membership? Or are there paid games from the listed nvidia shield games na fully downloadable and need no steaming during playing the games?

2. before buying another nvidia game controller, are there several games that allow multiplayer for my 2 kids?

The games that you can fully download are the games you pay with your Google account as far as I know like any other apps that you buy from the google playstore. So you do not need to be a member of the Geforce now Service.

The games that you cannot download and being ran on the cloud are the games that Nvidia have on their Geforce now service.

2. Before downloading the game. Read the description. The description says or indicate that the game supports multiple controllers.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1003583/shield-tv/how-to-enable-multi-controller-mode-by-default-/

Someone said that Multiplayer controller is enabled if the game is multiplayer capable.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2017 at 02:20 PM by DPT »

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: Apr 22, 2017 at 05:13 PM »
 Can anyone please confirm if "ASUS GeForce GTX 960" is an nvidia capable graphics card then I can gamestream the game from my pc out to my Led TV thru nvidia shield tv? How would I know if an Nvidia video card has such capability?

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #386 on: Apr 23, 2017 at 03:11 PM »
Can anyone please confirm if "ASUS GeForce GTX 960" is an nvidia capable graphics card then I can gamestream the game from my pc out to my Led TV thru nvidia shield tv? How would I know if an Nvidia video card has such capability?
hmmm, magkakaiba po ng compression sa details ng graphics yan depende sa gamit mo magulat ka nalang after ilang months kaya na sa cellphone mo yung game na gusto mo. :)

(sorry sa OT mods)

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: Apr 24, 2017 at 07:12 AM »
Read in another thread that our Nvidia Shield is IPTV capable. Is this possible in the Philippines? How? What are the requirements? How much monthly?

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: Apr 24, 2017 at 08:29 AM »
^ I already answered most of your queries in the tipidpc.com thread, you can followup your questions there

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #389 on: May 07, 2017 at 11:53 AM »
Ok. Thanks to this forum, I was able to find a Nvidia Shield for myself.

Have tried it for a couple of hours and I can say even though it's supposed to be similar to Android TV boxes, it does have some differences. I have the 2015 model so no remote but I'm managing to get by using the Android TV remote app for my smartphone as well as HDMI CEC enabled so I can control it using my Samsung Smart TV's remote.