Author Topic: Drivers for desktop-style DIY builds / PC speaker cannibalisation  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Lascaille

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
With the help of a friend I've been learning lathework and CAM/CAD and am looking to make some desktop speakers as a first 'real' project. I've got an endless supply of 4" wood cubes and was planning to make some simple cube desktop speakers with 3" drivers on little brass conical legs.

With a design in mind I headed to Raon only to come up very short - no full range drivers to be found (at least, that I could find) below 5".

I was hoping to get something like the Tang Band 3" shown here:

To give me something to work with I bought some very very awful USB powered desktop speakers for 150, I think the same as this picture. USB power only, 3.5mm for signal.

I pulled them apart to find a mono (!) 2W single-chip amp and some drivers marked as 6 ohm, 3W, 'YL' manufacture. Amusing.

Anyway... At home I have some Logitech PC desk speakers that perform really well, I have them hooked up to the TV for reinforcement. Similar to this but the satellites are single-driver, I think the drivers are the same.

If there is no source for decent 3" drivers locally, these types of desktop speakers are easily available second hand and I think I will just get a set and tear them open.

So two real questions:

1. Is there any local source for the usual DIY midrange drivers, Tang Band, Dayton or HiWave?
2. Has anyone done anything before cannibalising these types of PC speakers and knows what drivers to expect inside? The performance is far far beyond anything I'd expect PC speakers.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
Re: Drivers for desktop-style DIY builds / PC speaker cannibalisation
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 12:33 AM »
Check out car audio shops

Offline Lascaille

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 12:59 AM »
Anywhere in particular and any brand to note? I don't want to end up with some crap JBL copies.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 01:30 AM »
Might be better to check out car audio forums.. alternatively, Dai-ichi has a showroom in mega mall..

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 10:49 AM »
I agree with qguy ..... Diachi is you best bet for local drivers.

Mark Audio drivers for better performance but you need to order it in Singapore.  They can ship it to Philippines. Just go the Mark Audio Singapore website and contact Neo

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 12:45 PM »
Eto maganda.  Scanspeak 5f full range.  Nadinig ko na ung 10f and maaliwalas tumunog.  Me nagbebenta dati dito for 2k, hindi ko lang maalala kung nabenta na

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 12:49 PM »
May source ba ng 10f locally? Please share if you know. thanks!

Eto maganda.  Scanspeak 5f full range.  Nadinig ko na ung 10f and maaliwalas tumunog.  Me nagbebenta dati dito for 2k, hindi ko lang maalala kung nabenta na

Offline Lascaille

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 01:19 PM »
They're real nice and that's the idea, although a bit smaller. Firland Audio is local the distributor for ScanSpeak? I will call them about stock of the 5F, thanks for the pointer.

This is what I have right now in front of me, the cube (I will make the enclosure from a solid cube, square it up on the mill to 3.25" and turn the inside out on the lathe) and one of the ultracrap drivers.

I looked at Dai Ichi and they have some nice pre-made units but the only drivers they sell separately don't match - i.e. the premade units use drivers they don't sell separately. Their PL-100CC center has some nice looking drivers.

PL-100CC

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015 at 01:21 PM by Lascaille »

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 01:21 PM »
Go with the ScanSpeak, keep us posted kung saan ka makakakuha ng drivers & how much.

They're real nice and that's the idea, although a bit smaller. Firland Audio is local the distributor for ScanSpeak? I will call them about stock of the 5F, thanks for the pointer.

This is what I have right now in front of me, the cube (I will make the enclosure from a solid cube, square it up on the mill to 3.25" and turn the inside out on the lathe) and one of the ultracrap drivers.

I looked at Dai Ichi and they have some nice pre-made units but the only drivers they sell separately don't match - i.e. the premade units use drivers they don't sell separately. Their PL-100CC center has some nice looking drivers.

PL-100CC

Offline Lascaille

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 01:46 PM »
No stocks of the ScanSpeak 5F locally, ScanSpeak 10F is available but it's a 3.5" driver which is larger than the wood cubes I have on hand. To consider for a future project...

Offline Lascaille

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 03:09 PM »
While I'm waiting I thought I'd post the pictures of the little USB-powered amp that came inside these speakers.

Quoting from the datasheet:

"The 8002 is a Class-AB audio power amplifier. It is capable of delivering 2.0 watts of continuous average power to an 4 Ohm BTL load with less than 10% distortion (THD+N) from a 5VDC power supply, or 1.5 watts continuous average power to an 8 Ohm BTL load with less than 1% distortion."

http://www.shenzhensum.com/products/datasheet/8002(2.0W).pdf

Note that although the speakers have a stereo 3.5mm jack the installation is mono. The PCB is designed to support stereo as it has positions for 2 chips and a 2-channel pot is installed. The speakers are wired in parallel to provide a 3Ohm load. I have no idea what that does to the quoted distortion figures but I can't imagine anything good.

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 03:12 PM »
How much is the scanspeak 10f? Is it a full range driver?
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 03:21 PM »
I will make the enclosure from a solid cube, square it up on the mill to 3.25" and turn the inside out on the lathe

Just a tip from a DIYer to another, make the inside dimensions uneven and the surfaces rough/jagged if possible. The back waves inside a smooth cube box tends to resonate very badly.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Lascaille

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2015 at 03:27 PM »
How much is the scanspeak 10f? Is it a full range driver?

This is the datasheet for the 10F, it is a fullrange unit.

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/10f-4424g00.pdf

If you're interested in buying, call up Firland Audio locally. They said they had stock but I didn't enquire about the price after I realised it wouldn't fit in the boxes I had on hand.