Author Topic: Ideal Impedance that Musical Fidelity V Can II can handle  (Read 1015 times)

Offline whill_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi guys!

I am just wanted to know what is the ideal rate of impedance that V CAN II can drive?

Currently i am using MAC > V Link 192 > V DAC II > V CAN II > Shure SRH 940

I am looking forward on upgrading headphones in the near future to either one of these EL 8, SRH 1840, Focal Professional and even LCD - XC as much as possible i want to use the current MFs that i have for it is fairly new (even it is already discontinued product) or should i just change my equipment and just save again for the headphones?

Thank you for kind answers. :)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: Ideal Impedance that Musical Fidelity V Can II can handle
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2015 at 11:09 AM »
Iirc the VC2 can drive up to 300 ohms, anymore than that would be less dynamic due to inadequate voltage swing levels. YMMV here.

I believe the sweet spot is about 32 ohms, but it can still be happy driving down to 24 ohms. My suggestion is stay within 32 ohms and 150 ohms for best results.

Cheers

Offline whill_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2015 at 08:22 PM »
Thank you Sir Jojo D. May i kindly ask what are some of the points that i should look for when looking for a headphone amp/headphones. I believe loudspeakers are the reverse of headphones when it comes to impedance po.

Also, will it benefit if i use Rotel RA04 as an headphone amp to drive 300 above headphone impedance?

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2015 at 01:53 PM »
Thank you Sir Jojo D. May i kindly ask what are some of the points that i should look for when looking for a headphone amp/headphones. I believe loudspeakers are the reverse of headphones when it comes to impedance po.

Also, will it benefit if i use Rotel RA04 as an headphone amp to drive 300 above headphone impedance?

Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome po.

As a general rule, most headphone amps and headphone output of amps (like the RA04) are optimized for 32 ohms impedance cans. Though technically, all these cans must present an industry standard impedance of 120 ohms but let's not go there, it would be blurry when we talk about technicalities so let's make it simple. Current is plenty with portable devices so they stick with lower impedance while high impedance cans require less current, they do require larger voltage swings.

Most cans are 32 ohms nowadays to support most portable media players, portable/desktop DACs, laptops, etc. So if you are hunting for something that should work amp'd or not amp'd then I strongly suggest you stick with 32 ohm cans.

300 ohm to 600 ohm cans are what I refer to as "Specialty" type of cans. Aside from the fact that you can already buy a second hand Volkswagen car for it's price, it needs special amplification to get the most out of it.

To answer your last question about the RA04, the answer is no because it is also optimized for 32 ohm impedance headphones.

:)

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015 at 09:16 PM by JojoD818 »