Author Topic: SOTM SMS200 Neo & Sonore MicroRendu Setup Questions  (Read 697 times)

Offline mousemouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SOTM SMS200 Neo & Sonore MicroRendu Setup Questions
« on: Sep 07, 2021 at 10:03 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading to the SOTM SMS200 or MicroRendu later this year. I have a Bluesound node 2i and I find the sound to be lacking vs. my CD player. I was thinking of upgrading to the two streamers and a separate DAC.

Are the 2 easy to setup? Prior to the node 2i I used a raspberry pi with a Hifiberry dac running Volumio. I am not a techy by any means but can follow simple guides which exists for the raspberry pi. For the SOTM and Sonore, I can not find these guides.

Do I have to pay for something like Roon (120usd annually) or Audirvana (70 usd annually)? With the raspberry pi I used the free version of Volumio but spotify never worked right. With the bluesound everything is smooth except for some connectivity issues since I use wifi.

What DAC would you recommend? The chinese dacs like SMSL or Topping all look to be good value. My amp does not have balanced inputs so I don't have a need for that. If I like the sound of my CD player (rega apollo), what dac would be close to that? The rega dac has been discontinued already.

thank you!

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Re: SOTM SMS200 Neo & Sonore MicroRendu Setup Questions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2021 at 02:43 PM »
Hi,

I have the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra.  Setup is thru a web-based GUI called Eunhasu. Not being a techy myself, I found initial setup to be a pain and required some outside advise and some web research.  Thankfully, once setup and fine tuned (I had stuttering that required changing some settings), you don't have to go back to it.

Roon is not necessary but is recommended if you have a Tidal or Qobuz subscription.  You can set the SOtM to play music from Spotify or your local music folders, or even a USB stick plugged on the SOtM itself.

Which DAC depends on your budget.  I hear a lot of good things about Chi-Fi DACs but the best ones appear to be those from Denafrips and Holo Audio.

Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline mousemouse

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2021 at 04:06 PM »
Thank you! My current setup doesn't allow me to have a LAN cable so I have to use wifi currently. In a few months I will be moving to a condo which will be a good opportunity to upgrade my source equipment.  I'm just wondering, what other streamers have you been able to compare to your sotm? Is it a better value compared to streamers like the Lumin U1 mini?

Hi,

I have the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra.  Setup is thru a web-based GUI called Eunhasu. Not being a techy myself, I found initial setup to be a pain and required some outside advise and some web research.  Thankfully, once setup and fine tuned (I had stuttering that required changing some settings), you don't have to go back to it.

Roon is not necessary but is recommended if you have a Tidal or Qobuz subscription.  You can set the SOtM to play music from Spotify or your local music folders, or even a USB stick plugged on the SOtM itself.

Which DAC depends on your budget.  I hear a lot of good things about Chi-Fi DACs but the best ones appear to be those from Denafrips and Holo Audio.

Offline radiohead

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2021 at 05:16 PM »
Check out the Topping e30. It’s only around P6k plus in Lazada. It’s a giant killer imho. You can check the net for reviews.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2021 at 05:17 PM by radiohead »

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2021 at 09:58 PM »
Thank you! My current setup doesn't allow me to have a LAN cable so I have to use wifi currently. In a few months I will be moving to a condo which will be a good opportunity to upgrade my source equipment.  I'm just wondering, what other streamers have you been able to compare to your sotm? Is it a better value compared to streamers like the Lumin U1 mini?

Haven’t tried Lumin but from reviews, a Sonore Optical Rendu sounds better than the SOtMs.  Something like an Auralic Aries G3 would be perfect for you as it has a DAC already and can sound better than the SOtM depending on the DAC the SOtM is feeding.

Offline Icermad

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2021 at 08:55 AM »
I use both BubbleUPNP and MConnect in SOTM for both Tidal and Qobuz. Mconnect has a better interface than BubbleUPNP. Cost of both App using android is around 300 pesos each. So no need to use Roon if you want to save some money. For Spotify, you can use the Eunhasu Libresport App (already installed in the SOTM) and just use Spotify Connect.

Offline mousemouse

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2021 at 09:55 AM »
@radiohead- I was able to listen to a friend's d50 before in it sounded really clean. I will try to borrow it to demo in my system. Have you tried SMSL?

@lithium_deuteride- I see, the optical rendu seems to be in a different price range. I am leaning towards the Sotm since it has a local dealer (audiostars) so I won't have to worry about shipping. I will probably try the entry level SMS200 Neo once I decide on a dac. My audio equipment isn't really high end + it is setup just in the living room so the SMS200 ultra will probably be overkill for the system.

@Icermad- thanks! I will look into it when I get the Sotm :)