Author Topic: How to connect iphone to amp  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Deckard

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How to connect iphone to amp
« on: Nov 29, 2015 at 09:19 AM »
Hi, 

Whats the latest approach to connecting an iphone to an integrated amp that will by pass the phone's DaC.

I have a pm6005. Connecting the phone to the analog in via 3.5mm to rca just doesnt cut it.

How can I connect the phone in such a way that i can bypass the phones dac and feed the signal to the dac of the amp.

Im after the spotify btw.

Appreciate the advise.

Offline robvillegas

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: How to connect iphone to amp
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 09:59 AM »
Hi sir,

i connect to my audio setup in my room via my apple tv (audio is streamed using AAC apple lossless codec) and connects to my amp via optical. downstairs naman, i connect to my 2.1 setup via an airport express (lossless din).

HTH

Offline Deckard

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 10:31 AM »
Thanks Rob,

Just a clarification:

Im presently using a med800x3d which is attached to my TV and my PM6005 (for music listening via coax to the  amp's DAC). For movies, I use a separate soundbar.  The Med800x3d is also connected to my network via ethernet.

Now, if I use the apple tv just to avail of the AirPlay, does this mean I need to feed it via ethernet cable also? And, does the Apple TV play stored media via NAS?

I am asking this as my house has a single Cat6 cable running to the family room. As stated, its attached to my med800x3d.

Maraming Salamat!

Offline zram18

• DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 12:18 PM »
you cannot bypass the iphone's DAC because there is no digital out.

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 884
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 12:35 PM »
Best method is via apple airport express or Apple TV. You do need wifi though
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 01:00 PM »
No other way but to use it via RCA. If you want to hear improvements, try to upgrade the interconnects.

Edit: I thought you'd like to use the phones DAC. So I think the cheapest to use is a dock. But don't under estimate the iphones DAC quality.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2015 at 01:34 AM by fattyacid »
Be better than the Theater.

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 01:15 PM »
there are digital docks that can bypass the ipod/iphone's built-in dac.   
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline robvillegas

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 02:10 PM »
The apple tv has to be connected to the same network as your iphone. (either via wifi or ethernet). if you're going to use it to stream audio lang naman, just use an airport express - cheaper pa.

and to answer the other other question, sadly the apple tv can't play videos off of a NAS. If your NAS has a built it PLEX server, I think the new apple tv (not sure as i havent tried it myself) can play your media using the PLEX app.

one work around would be to use an iphone app that can browse and play media files from a network drive, then just use the airplay function to watch the video (or audio) on your home theater.

Now, if I use the apple tv just to avail of the AirPlay, does this mean I need to feed it via ethernet cable also? And, does the Apple TV play stored media via NAS?

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 07:54 PM »
Pure i-20
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Deckard

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 08:06 PM »
Looks like an airport expess is a simple solution.

I have to read up on how to do it. But is it true that i can use the ape as a bridge? That I dont need to feed it an ethernet line?

Offline muypogi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
How to connect iphone to amp
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2015 at 08:38 PM »
Here's my music room setup using an old airport express attached to an x-dac via toslink (optical) the connected to the amp. Music streamed from my iDevices via Airplay.   The music room Apple TV is connected to the house wifi network.  You can use it as a stand alone player or use it as an extender with ability to Airplay as well.

Alternatively, you can buy a bluetooth receiver that has a nice enough DAC that can connect to your amp.

Below is my office system using a Peachtree receiver and an amp under demo . . .

I also use an Apple TV in the living area, which streams video/audio content from the iTunes store via AirPlay.   HDMI output connected to my TV with the optical out from the TV fed to a DAC as well. . .
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015 at 08:40 PM by muypogi »

Offline robvillegas

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2015 at 08:50 AM »
*drool* nice setup sir Muypogi!

Offline Deckard

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2015 at 09:02 AM »
Thanks MuyPogi.
You understand that the point of this exercise is to simplify and cut cost. Your pics want me to buy. :)

Thanks everybody.

I got an Airport Express yesterday and minitoslink. Attached the APE to the DAC of the PM6005 and feed signal to the Dali Zensor 3. Sweet. Am impressed by the sound quality via Spotify. Though I dl "extreme" mode.

Now my system is simple, compact but sonically satisfactory. Now, I can go back to work....

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2015 at 09:17 AM »
Wow, nice setups @muypogi and @Deckard

@Deckard, when you say "sonically satisfactory" (I know this can be subjective, but I will ask anyway),  what sonic qualities are you looking for? What audiophile albums do you use to test your setup?
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2015 at 09:30 AM by traveler69 »

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2015 at 10:35 AM »
Iphones with the Lightning cable can use the camera connection kit to draw digital signal. But you will need Apple certified dac/amps for this to work. There are a number of dac/amps in the head fi community and as one would expect they are not cheap. Check them out at Egghead. The Cozoy Aegis if very small yet it could drive my planar headphones. This can be used with a preamp to suit a speakers system. P12k.

I use an iPad 2 and a line out cable straight to my amps for speakers or headphones. It has very good results. Sadly lighting cable iPhones don't have line out. Go figure. For Spotify this is a highly recommended setup.

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2015 at 10:39 AM by Gino »

Offline zram18

• DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2015 at 10:53 AM »
wow, nice dedicated audio room... :)

Offline Deckard

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2015 at 08:15 PM »
Nice set up Gino. What speakers are those?

Offline Deckard

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2015 at 08:19 PM »
Wow, nice setups @muypogi and @Deckard

@Deckard, when you say "sonically satisfactory" (I know this can be subjective, but I will ask anyway),  what sonic qualities are you looking for? What audiophile albums do you use to test your setup?

Hi Traveler:

I dont know how to answer your question. Are you asking how the PM6005 and the Z3 pair? If so, there are plenty of profession reviews for this pair and I dont want to confuse you with my noob speak :)

Anyway, related to this thread,  what I wanted to say is that the APE solution works very well. I compared the sound via APE as against a direct connection and I cant tell the difference.  So it a satisfactory solution (not to say that digital files are perfect or ideal.)

The set up is not the best there is, but  truly nice for the price.

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2015 at 07:22 AM »
Those are Fostex Fe167E and FT17H supertweeters.

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2015 at 07:57 AM »
There is this Belkin Bluetooth adapter that has an optical out. It was in the market place back then sold by Sir AC.You can use that then connect the Belkin adapter to your external DAC. Then DAC to Amp.
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2015 at 05:59 PM by sientobente »

Offline newbieforever

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2015 at 01:20 PM »
As far as i know, you can bypass the iPhone's DAC in 2 ways:

1.  MFi certified DACs/Amps (some have digital line outs)
2.  (non-MFi DACs/Amps) Camera Connection Kit --> USB Amp/DAC* (with digital line out)
* should have its own power source (battery or plug) since the CCK apparently cannot provide enough enough power

in my opinion, a more economical way to connect an iDevice to an amp would be through a Line Out Dock Cable (e.g. Fiio L9).  although you would still be utilizing the device's onboard DAC (it's really not that bad), you'd be bypassing the onboard amp.  the reason why we'd want to do this is to prevent double amping, which is what you would get by connecting the device via its 3.5mm headphone output to the amp.  besides, the iDevice's onboard DAC should be enough for Spotify (320 kbps max).

hope this helps!
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2015 at 01:23 PM by newbieforever »

Offline MrDeckard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2015 at 05:48 PM »
Thanks @newbieforever.

Newbie Question: when you use airplay, does it still use the dac of the phone?

I noticed that when i use airplay, i can still control the volume. My understanding is that if you bypass amp and dac, volume control shouldny work.

Thanks.

Offline MrDeckard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2015 at 05:51 PM »
The Fiio L9 wont work for iphone 6s

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2015 at 06:26 PM »
A suitable dac & amp is you best bet. See if the Cozoy Aegis has enough power to act as a preamp for your integrated amp. EggHead Galleria had them before.

Pagbutihin mo research, I have an iPhone 6+ on the way he he.

Offline newbieforever

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2015 at 08:47 AM »
@ MrDeckard

oh, didn't know you were using an iPhone6...

from my understanding, you're trying to use the built in DAC of your PM6005 via either the digital coax or optical input (ie. use the iPhone6 purely as a "transport").

if this is indeed the case, your best bet would either be: an MFi DAC with a digital line out (e.g. Fostex HP-P1) or a non-MFi DAC with digital outs connected via a Camera Connection Kit.

i have no experience with airport express/airplay and bluetooth transmitters, although the it seems a viable solution as well given that the 3.5mm output provides both digital and analog outputs. the verdict's still out though on whether this does indeed bypass your iPhone's DAC.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2015 at 05:19 PM »
Technically, going wireless like using bluetooth should be able able to bypass the internal DAC of the phone, mainly because digital data is already being moved from your phone into the bluetooth reciever. Even if we say it doesn't do that, your external DAC would still prevail because it is the last one on the processing chain before it completely translates the data into analog going into your amp.

Offline Schnauzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • rubber dickie
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2015 at 05:54 PM »
may I ask WHAT is the ADVANTAGE of bypassing the iPhone's DAC?

I just connect my iPhone to my Amp/Receiver's Auxilliary via it's headphone out with a 3.5mm stereo to RCA L&R adapter cable,  however, to improve the Audio Quality from my "Music" Songlist, I use an app called "Bongiovi DPS"

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2015 at 06:37 PM by Schnauzer »

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2015 at 07:20 PM »
For me being able to bypass your iPhone's dac gives you an optional sound performance. Something different that you may like. It is up to you to determine if that is an advantage.

Offline sientobente

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2015 at 06:54 AM »
may I ask WHAT is the ADVANTAGE of bypassing the iPhone's DAC?

I just connect my iPhone to my Amp/Receiver's Auxilliary via it's headphone out with a 3.5mm stereo to RCA L&R adapter cable,  however, to improve the Audio Quality from my "Music" Songlist, I use an app called "Bongiovi DPS"

Aside from what Boss Gino mentioned, in my experience, that 3.5mm out has a limited frequency output, sounds much weaker(which would put a strain on your amp), and has a poor presentation of details. This is compared to ofcourse an external DAC.

Offline Schnauzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • rubber dickie
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2015 at 04:25 PM »
how about using a Bluetooth-Audio-Recevier to stream my music from an iPhone, or better yet from my Mac's iTunes playlist - would it bypass the source's DAC?  if not then I could still controll the audio quality using iTunes' EQ am I correct???

http://gadgetviper.com/best-bluetooth-audio-receiver-2015/
my Amp/Receiver has an Optical audio input so I might benefit from it,  given the models reviewed what would be your choice and why?

Thank you I am considering getting one to go wireless -  being able to play my songlist on my Mac would be great.