Author Topic: DNY40W Power Amplifier (P3A2) - Filipino Design Amplifier  (Read 20822 times)

Offline F. Dandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • - diy electronics stuff -
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DNY40W Power Amplifier (P3A2) - Filipino Design Amplifier
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2015 at 04:26 PM »
folks,  let me present some of the build by guys,  many of us DIYERs  love to see bold boards ---- the process of building, testing, qualifying, etc..... is what makes us happy that we do things on the power of our finger tips

This board was design by a Filipino in KSA (in a team cooperation) and prototype by guys in China.

The newly design PCB - new prototype was subjected into an electrical test, sometimes it called the parametric test.   We use here dummy speaker load (resistive) -- the one below the notebook,  those voltmeter were used to constantly checking the dc bias,  offset voltage, how hot the components, any smell  or sign of burn, etc...  the notebook was there to record results.

On the right side  of the PC, is a simple DAC used too drive the DNY40W newly design amp.

Normally used this test, at any given time where there is something wrong --- we will not physically damage the speaker  (expensive speaker).

Here is a clearer shot, showing those Fuse

Here is the music test, where we actually attached the speaker  (that small speaker) and can listen to :
1.  Noise
2.  oscillation
3.  other anomaly
4.  first grasp on the music, specially on that called Cross Over distortion  adjustment for Class AB

At this stage,  we are more interested to see how stable the amplifirr,  rather than judging the  acoustic performance ------ we have to go through test for several hours

a simple video from the test - something to  look at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdtnl4yre090j59/DNY40W_Flymetothemoon.mp4?dl=0

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2015 at 04:36 PM by F. Dandy »
simply dandy
  wechat : diycenter

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2015 at 04:48 PM »
Then,  we have the new PCB with several improvement,  adding also suggestion from the community  and forum (elab.ph),  we got blue and red pcb manufactured

One thing that you may notice is the size of the heatsink,   in our prototype,  the heatsink is small,  we know that we will not use the DNY40W into its maximum power of 40Wrms in our daily use,  and thus we may not need  big heatsink ----  we choose the biggest that will fit into our intended cabinet.

here is the mock up design of the casing

Once the circuit and PCB has been stabilized, we're ready to have free samples to our friends,

and eventually,  contributing the technical know how to schools - University, the forum and electronic community,  and be able to let other guys to experience the adventure we had specially for those gys who feel bored already of simply buying an amplifier,   crying to I want to build my own amp   on my own hands

Well,  its not hard,  its fun, specially when group of Filipino will join forces, even mountain and ocean aparts
simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2015 at 05:07 PM »
With Class A or Class AB,  there is a concerned on the heat generated in the amplification process,  that is why we see a big heatsink where the output transistors were mounted.

Our heatsink is small,  as we need small heatsink so it can fit into the casing,  so, we focus on how to achieve a smaller heatsink without thermal run away,  we have several test

a) using customized Arduino Temperature data log to monitor the heatsink

that circuit with blue LED

b) manually monitor using infrared and check from time to time,  here is a reading after sometimes

again,  our load is resistive  8 ohms 200W,  in any case that the power transistor will exhibit thermal run-away,  I won't damage a speaker

At the same time,  we run also DAQ   (gather data against time)

We are watching the performance of the servo mechanism that will prevent the output transitor from thermal run-away,  that,  when the heatsink gets hot,  the servo mechanism or the Vbe multiplier will lower the bias voltage to the transistor.    If it will not lower it,  the output transistor keep on conducting and keep generating heat and keep on.... till the time it get busted (thermal run away).

With several test,  it was ok to use the heatsink, and so,  we can fit into its case :

simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2015 at 05:20 PM »
here you go on the casing :

We're not good in 3D, so we have to go primitive way

How the heatsink were positioned :

With the intended Pure Analog Tone Control
simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2015 at 06:30 PM »
here is a picture during the Testing

Left :  Pure Analog Tone Control
Right :  DNY40W / P3A2  (Pure Analog Processing Power Amplifier)
Speaker :  TEAC
Music Source :  PC playing CD  (used DAC)

simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2015 at 06:59 PM »
One thing I should make it clear is that,  the amplifier board  will not make the Amplifier alone,  you still need a

a)  Transformer
     b)  Split Power Supply
     c)  Speaker Protector   (highly recommended)
     d) other stuff like Input terminal, Speaker terminal,  volume control, etc.

With my prototype,  I add a little spices,  medyo masaya ako kung mayroon kaunting add-on stuff,  like MicroController (MCU)   to handle the AC Power On  with the Push button ---- that Push Button with blue color.

I should simply used a Toggle Switch which can handle the 220Vac to make it simple,  but...........  i used a MCU + relay to do it.

Here is the MCU board,

The MCU is based on Intel-8051 Core, 8 bit processing MCU,  can use Assembly, C, Pascal, or block diagram  programming

made in the Philippines -- Baguio City

The MCU Board,  Speaker Protector

The MCU is actually  supervising the Speaker Protector,  if the Speaker protector sense a dangerous offset voltage that tend to  damage the speaker,  the MCU will shut off the relay controlling the speaker, detached teh speaker from the amplifier board,  and also it will shut off the 220VAC power.     The MMI programmed  (Man Machine Interface) is that,  the system will inform the User thru  continuous fast blinking of the Push Button LED.

Here is the relay controlling the 220 AC power, the make /break is controlled by the MCU when you push the On/Off button.    It shows also the  AC line filter and the split power supply used.

One good thing about the use of MCU is that,  you can make the amplifier to sleep for sometimes without human intervention,  say, you can programmed to automatically shut off after 3 hours of playback ---- good features to use at night time,  and the MMI for a combination of push on the Push Button switch.

simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2015 at 07:39 PM »
the assembled DNY40W prototype  with legend  (no secret).

with the X6 DAC and Pure Analog Tone Control

that's the process of building our prototype DNY40W  (eventually along with its intended Tone Control),  other guys build the same boards with different Xformer, power supply and casing form factor  (minus the MCU stuff),  looking forward to see them to post it here.

there seems to be a problem in downloading the dox from Dropbox,  so I added another download site :

http://1diycenter.com/1diyDATA/Issue28_DNY40W_Unreleased%20Tech%20Info.pdf

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2015 at 07:43 PM by F. Dandy »
simply dandy

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2016 at 07:42 AM »
Happy new year Dandy!!!
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2016 at 01:00 PM »
Happy New Year Sir Tony,
and to all pinoyDVD members - all the best for the year 2016.
simply dandy

Offline innocent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Innocent
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2016 at 01:24 PM »
Happy New Year boss.  Sana marinig namin yan kahit sa You tube man lang.  Pra may idea kami.  Bka puwede magpagawa kung kaya ng budget.... :)
Customized audio gears  satisfies.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2016 at 11:43 AM »
may take a while for Dandy to reply, so please contact him here:

wechat :  diycenter  <priority>
email   :  [email protected] / [email protected]
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2016 at 11:52 AM »
The MCU is actually  supervising the Speaker Protector,  if the Speaker protector sense a dangerous offset voltage that tend to  damage the speaker,  the MCU will shut off the relay controlling the speaker, detached teh speaker from the amplifier board,  and also it will shut off the 220VAC power.     The MMI programmed  (Man Machine Interface) is that,  the system will inform the User thru  continuous fast blinking of the Push Button LED.

Here is the relay controlling the 220 AC power, the make /break is controlled by the MCU when you push the On/Off button.    It shows also the  AC line filter and the split power supply used.

One good thing about the use of MCU is that,  you can make the amplifier to sleep for sometimes without human intervention,  say, you can programmed to automatically shut off after 3 hours of playback ---- good features to use at night time,  and the MMI for a combination of push on the Push Button switch.

several years back, some members asked me if this type controller can be done,
so i asked Dandy to design one.....and so this is it...
perhaps Dandy can make a working prototype for members to try out....
or Dandy, i can make a complete stand alone unit if you give me the controllers....
rochie and i can work this out... ;)

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 01, 2016 at 05:02 PM »
may take a while for Dandy to reply, so please contact him here:

wechat :  diycenter  <priority>
email   :  [email protected] / [email protected]

Indeed, thanks Sir Tony

Nakakainggit nga e, di uubra VPN ko, samantalang si kabayan maayos naman daw.

Sana marinig namin yan kahit sa You tube man lang.  Pra may idea kami.  Bka puwede magpagawa kung kaya ng budget.... :)

I know si Sir Tony mayroon siya DNY40W  unit,   Puede ba makining sa inyo Sir Tony?    Wait, I asked one of my friend to upload in youtube, as youtube is perfectly an example of 100% block website in my place.

I suggest you to build it,  the real fun is on the assembly,  testing and casing with your own design.  You surely will gain amplifier diy building, self fulfilling and confidence of yourself.   Unleashed the power of your fingertips.
simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Apr 01, 2016 at 05:20 PM »
several years back, some members asked me if this type controller can be done,
so i asked Dandy to design one.....and so this is it...
perhaps Dandy can make a working prototype for members to try out....
or Dandy, i can make a complete stand alone unit if you give me the controllers....
rochie and i can work this out... ;)

Awesome idea Sir Tony,  that can be done.

Pero unahin kaya muna natin ang speaker para sa DNY40W, may nga nag rerequest kasi,   been talking with fellow member if he can sneak some speaker from the factory thru other filipino contact  :D :D    mukhang may peerless, vifa, sonos,  MA, but prefer the unbranded and affordable  but sounds good.
simply dandy

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Apr 01, 2016 at 05:22 PM »
sample unit is supposedly finish by now and ready for audition/demo, kaya lang something happen so medyo na push na naman yung date, but we will definitely build one para naman madinig natin lahat.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 01, 2016 at 05:37 PM »
I know si Sir Tony mayroon siya DNY40W  unit,   Puede ba makining sa inyo Sir Tony?  Puede ba makining sa inyo Sir Tony?

pwede naman, i have two completed working units and looking at build no 3 and 4.....
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2016 at 05:39 PM by tony »

Offline nogo

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #46 on: Apr 02, 2016 at 06:52 AM »
Bookmarking
LG42LA6200
Marantz SR5008/NR1604(O)
BW685S2/Q3020 (O)
SVS PB1000/SB12NSD (O)
PCHA410
BD-F5500K

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Apr 07, 2016 at 03:56 PM »
The technical description of this Amplifier were posted on 2 different share webfolder as :

1.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4926dwzpwaqr4a/Issue28_DNY40W_Unreleased%20Tech%20Info.pdf?dl=0

2.  http://1diycenter.com/1diyDATA/Issue28_DNY40W_Unreleased%20Tech%20Info.pdf

the 2nd share folder is better.

Something to look at (my home working area)

.. the DNY40W amplifier cased on black fiver glass below those FXAudio mini Class D amplifier, DAC and
    Bluetooth interface
... those with fiber glass casing from bottom :  30W Class AB amplifier,  customized Tone Control, 
    DR100W EQ  and Tone Control running my own firmware (hybrid analog & digital)

let's see it zoom

Its been a while since we finished the design of this amplifier,  and once we are comfortable with it (reliability test,  assembly and test from the field of different builder, sound test,etc...),  it stays off the working table.

And........... what is next is its inverted version,  as several guys are  asking  the question " will the sonic performance be improved if the differential amplifier is NPN" instead of PNP?  Will it be better if we have the current Mirror?....  We will not be able to answer this even with current PC base Simulator (we have).

The best is, to build it and compare it, and that's what we are trying to do now,  and tell you, there's a lot of fun in doing it.
simply dandy

Offline rochie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Apr 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM »
some sample video of DNY40W in action paired with the diy tone control too.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU0NjkyNDM0MA==.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU0NjI4MDk3Mg==.html

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Apr 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM »
^Dandy has a nice singing voice, pang tawag ng tanghalan....:D

Offline rochie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Apr 25, 2016 at 01:22 PM »
^Dandy has a nice singing voice, pang tawag ng tanghalan....:D

hahahaha, sabi nga namin ni Danny husky ang boses nya ala Renz Verano :D :D :D :D

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Apr 25, 2016 at 01:23 PM »

hahahaha, sabi nga namin ni Danny husky ang boses nya ala Renz Verano :D :D :D :D

parang kaboses ni Ricah....:D

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Apr 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM »
Quote from: link=topic=204513.msg2352448#msg2352448 date=1451798690
Sana marinig namin yan kahit sa You tube man lang.  Pra may idea kami.

Iyan na po,  sa YouKu  nga lang at di sa youtube   :D :D

some sample video of DNY40W in action paired with the diy tone control too.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU0NjkyNDM0MA==.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU0NjI4MDk3Mg==.html

Thanks Rochie for posting here. 

parang kaboses ni Ricah....:D
;D ;D ;D ;D    Indeed, I got several comment and looking forward ma develop ko din ang video hobby for better presentation  :D

Quote from: link=topic=204513.msg2352448#msg2352448 date=1451798690
Bka puwede magpagawa kung kaya ng budget.... :)

budget is not a constrain for this amplifier, its equivalent to 2 times chicken joy at jollibee,  it should be fun to diy it  or  rochie and/or Sir tony can assist in the assembly and testing,  were here a anyway!

on the concept was to build it DIY.   As i always say,  speaking personally,  the real fun and self fulfilling is to use the power amplifier that built on the power of your finger tip    :)
simply dandy

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Apr 27, 2016 at 05:27 PM »
Dandy, if you have time, you can drop by the house so you can have a listen to a 2A3 set amp and
the anti-aikido line amp that i made....para matuloy na rin si rochie...

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Apr 29, 2016 at 10:09 AM »
I back read and dont see the price posted.

Guess I have to install WeChat on my phone.
nbc

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline rochie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Apr 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM »
I back read and dont see the price posted.

Guess I have to install WeChat on my phone.
nbc

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

bro PM me if you're interested, but for now only kits(PCB and components) are available.

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 05, 2016 at 12:30 PM »
hello fellows --  its just took longer time to post this in youtube, finally I freed up from the great "firewall".

Its just one of the video to see our Project  (proudly philippine made),  for those guys looking for the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaWhCTECzc

looking forward, we can also make a better and more interesting project in this forum

The vacuum tube pre-amplifier that used to drive the dny40w project  was also posted here, in one of the vacuum tube thread.

PS:
This project was started as a Learning stuff for audio guys who is  STARTER with zero technical know how on diy amplifier building,  hence, the project called  EASY  diy AMP---- based on hundreds of diy kit build in the hobbyist and university environment...... it is Repeatable ad Reproducible

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016 at 12:37 PM by F. Dandy »
simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Dec 08, 2016 at 11:00 AM »
Video :   Bring-up Test the newly design board,  with and without output Power Transistor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4xVOyClNzs

thanks for subscribing on the dny40wTeam  youtube channel

channel link  :    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4o-IyCC1KgeNbLLB2tSUKg

simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 08, 2016 at 11:04 AM »
Video :  short Reliability Test of the Vbe Multiplier Circuit  versus the Heatsink Temperatures

youtubbe video  :     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rseL9RO45A&t=21s

simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 08, 2016 at 11:09 AM »
video :  Implementing 220Vac control on the project    (this is basically for future use to control the project using
             MicroController so we can take advantage of digital era controller such as Wifi, Bluetooth or  Multi Controller)

youtube video :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4xVOyClNzs&t=70s

simply dandy