Author Topic: Samsung and Sony now with hard panel (what kind of panel?)  (Read 1269 times)

Offline noah727

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I noticed that the higher end models of Samsung and Sony are now using hard panel. I noticed because I always use my finger/knuckles to check if hard or soft panel. For Samsung, if I remember correctly, 55JS7200 and 55JU6400 have the hard panels, for example.

Anyone know which type of hard panel are these?

Samsung and Sony used to bash LG's hard IPS/S-IPS panels, now looks like Samsung and Sony are also including hard panels in their product lineup. Just not sure what type, but it looks good.

Any ideas/info on these? Thanks. :)

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Re: Samsung and Sony now with hard panel (what kind of panel?)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2016 at 05:16 PM »
The Samsung JU6400 still uses a VA-type panel.

I also observed the same thing about the better rigidity (I don't know if this is the right word to use, but it suffices for now) of Samsung's newer VA panels which came out last year.

But IPS panels, especially those made by LG, still feel harder or more rigid to me when I soft-knock on the screens.

I have the JU6600, also a VA-type panel, delivered to me recently but I have not unboxed this puppy yet.

Offline t-bone

• Trade Count: (+243)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 591
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2016 at 12:13 PM »
IPS panels, especially those made by LG, still feel harder or more rigid to me when I soft-knock on the screens.

IPS needs to be hard panel because the LCD elements are closer to the surface, hence its wide viewing angle.
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline noah727

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2016 at 02:54 PM »
So is Samsung and Sony now changing their statement that soft panels are better than hard panels?

I noticed that the more premium higher end models of Samsung and Sony now come with hard panels.