Author Topic: MINIX NEO U1 Review  (Read 47251 times)

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: MINIX NEO U1 Review
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2016 at 08:42 PM »
Yes. Additionally android apps are designed with touch. In many apps you can't get to select a button with just the directional keys.

Offline jgl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2016 at 09:18 AM »
Yes. Additionally android apps are designed with touch. In many apps you can't get to select a button with just the directional keys.
Thanks a lot.  Though been using Android phones, this will be my first, coming from a WD w/c has suited our needs, and just want something to play hevc/x265 w/ DD/DTS.  Is this overkill?  And may I ask what's the latest firmware for it now?  TIA!

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2016 at 02:30 PM »
Guys, i bought one last night.. tested some of my 4k demo files almost all of them played flawlessly except my big buck bunny and other files that are 3k plus resoluton, nag stutter..

One thing i noticed, di nya napa-passthrough atmos via kodi and mx player.. hindi rin nya madetect lahat ng hardisk ko sa probox, minsan isang hardisk lang, minsan dalawa.. but i have 4 hd in my probox, two 3TB, one 2 TB and one 160gb..

Can you help me with these issues, do i need to upgrade Kodi, firmware, or sa setup lang to?

I dont have these issues with my egreat r300 pro.. di nga lang nakakapagplay ng 4K egreat ko, pero atmos and 3d walang problem sa egreat..
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2016 at 03:10 PM »
First off - Have you updated the firmware of your U1? Latest is FW007. You have to check for firmware updates several times until it says that there are no more firmware updates available. It steps through all firmware versions between what you have until it reaches 07.

Go to minixforum.com and download XBMC for Minix. This is a build of Kodi specifically for Minix.

For the HDDs - Minix support says that it will only support up to 3 external hdds. If you want more you need to invest in a NAS.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2016 at 03:37 PM »
Ok ill check the firmware...
As for the hd, i have a probox full of hd, how do i scan my hds from my probox? Or the U1 automatically scan all of them whenever i connect my probox in my minix?
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2016 at 10:51 PM »
I have a Probox too. The U1 will mount the hdds automatically when you connect the Probox. However it will only mount only three of the hdds in the Probox. Since the mounting order is unpredictable you can't tell beforehand which disk will be left out. Better to just install 3 hdds at a time so you're sure which one get mounted.

Offline jgl

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2016 at 08:46 AM »
First off - Have you updated the firmware of your U1? Latest is FW007. You have to check for firmware updates several times until it says that there are no more firmware updates available. It steps through all firmware versions between what you have until it reaches 07.

Go to minixforum.com and download XBMC for Minix. This is a build of Kodi specifically for Minix.

For the HDDs - Minix support says that it will only support up to 3 external hdds. If you want more you need to invest in a NAS.

May I ask what's the diff between XBMC and built-in Koni player?  Going to be my first Android player.

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2016 at 10:55 AM »
XBMC for Minix is just a version of Kodi that has been tweaked and optimized by Minix. The Kodi that comes pre-installed with the U1 is a generic build.

Offline shoestrings

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2016 at 01:07 PM »
Im all set getting the U1. I like to know if it detects xbox 360 wireless controller.  We tried it with the kata box and its not working.
I spent the summer wasting
The time was passed so easily

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2016 at 01:26 PM »
I see, I saw ACM Tech at tipidpc.com selling it for 5.7K, pero I have doubts in terms of warranty kasi..

I just texted ACM tech and thier units are from Ubertech also. :)

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2016 at 02:24 PM »
I just texted ACM tech and thier units are from Ubertech also. :)

http://minix.com.hk/en/terms

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2016 at 03:12 PM »
I have a Probox too. The U1 will mount the hdds automatically when you connect the Probox. However it will only mount only three of the hdds in the Probox. Since the mounting order is unpredictable you can't tell beforehand which disk will be left out. Better to just install 3 hdds at a time so you're sure which one get mounted.

I see, this is a problem with me coz I have 4 hdd full of movies in my probox plus 2 2tb external drive... in my egreat, if you connect the probox..., it can read all the hdd in it plus all other hdd/flash drive and memory card that are connected at the same time can also be read... there are 5 USB slot on my egreat r300 pro...

I already updated the firmware of U1.. Kodi and XBMC Minix can't passthrough Atmos, so I installed SMPC, it can passthrough ATMOS and other HD Audio :)

As for the video, 4K/60 (my big buck bunny) is still stuttering... I'll try to download other test files and see if it's just that specific file has this problem..

The wifi range U1 is great though, I have connected a kb and mouse and im currently writing this post using my U1 connected with my PJ, ang laki ng PDVD forum, sarap pumunta sa Hot thread, hehehe :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2016 at 08:30 AM »
Sorry OT. When you say "HD audio" what formats are these?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline jgl

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2016 at 08:40 AM »
http://minix.com.hk/en/terms
Meaning, only Ubertech is a valid reseller, or ACMTech too?  Just clarifying. Thanks.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2016 at 12:07 PM »
Sorry OT. When you say "HD audio" what formats are these?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DTS-HD, DTSMA, ATMOS, DTX, etc.. :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM »
Meaning, only Ubertech is a valid reseller, or ACMTech too?  Just clarifying. Thanks.

Ubertech is the distributor, since they distribute minix to ACMTech, I think they will honor the warranty :)
If you have doubts buying from ACM Tech, you can buy it at Villman... I got mune from Villman SM North for 5,750 pesos :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline jgl

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2016 at 06:41 PM »
Ubertech is the distributor, since they distribute minix to ACMTech, I think they will honor the warranty :)
If you have doubts buying from ACM Tech, you can buy it at Villman... I got mune from Villman SM North for 5,750 pesos :)
Thanks.  Yes, hope they honor it, or better yet, hope I won't need it at all :)  Got a good deal from them ;)

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2016 at 07:07 AM »

yup, Ubertech is PCtrends also. I got good support from them before regarding my previous purchases like motherboards and etc.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2016 at 12:58 AM »
Thanks.  Yes, hope they honor it, or better yet, hope I won't need it at all :)  Got a good deal from them ;)

What's "the Good Deal" bro?
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2016 at 03:35 PM »
Mga bossing, have you tried playing 4k UHD 60fps files? Di kasi ma-play ng U1 ko e.. im using the latest version of SPMC which can passthrough Atmos.. can you give me the link where i can download KODI krypton? Thanks.
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2016 at 03:57 PM »
Are you playing it off an external storage attached to the usb port? The U1 only has usb2.0 ports. You may be limited by the max data rate of usb2.0. Check  data rate of the file via mediainfo and compare with max data rate of usb2.0. You can try transferring to internal memory or better yet NAS connected by gigabit ethernet.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2016 at 04:58 PM »
Yes im using an external drive from my probox.. ok ill check the data rate.. im only playing a max of 13gig file, the other file are only 6gig and 1gig in size..
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jun 06, 2016 at 09:55 PM »
guys yung UI po ba ng U1 paran XBMC ang UI? with posters and synopsis?

will there ba an extra steps to make it?
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #83 on: Jun 07, 2016 at 02:50 AM »
guys yung UI po ba ng U1 paran XBMC ang UI? with posters and synopsis?

will there ba an extra steps to make it?

Android  TV based ang U1. So you will be getting an android tv interface.
KODI is installed as an App and you need to launch it like any program in any android system.

There are alot of videos on youtube about minix U1 and its interface

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #84 on: Jun 15, 2016 at 10:25 AM »
I tried setting up my Minix Neo U1 last night. I updated the firmware. After that, I ran into some issues.

Google Play:
While signing in to Google store, I only went as far as email address and password. After that, lumabas yung “By signing in, you agrree to the Terms and Conditions...” tapos may “Accept >” sa lower right hand corner ng screen. No matter what button I press sa remote, walang reaction so I cannot continue the procedure.

Kodi:
I tried loading channels sa Kodi. Yung ABC, WCBS and WNBC channels, may mga lumalabas na list ng shows, but when I try to run them, may message saying that the file cannot be played and to check the log.

Do I need to update Kodi? Paano? I tried looking for an update sa app, pero wala akong makita.

Apps Screen:
Is there a way to put the channel icons sa app screen (parang shortcut) para hindi na pumasok sa Kodi?

I hope you guys can help me. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2016 at 10:28 AM by mars »

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #85 on: Jun 15, 2016 at 12:53 PM »
google play - try to clear the data/cache and login again

kodi - for some reason, there are special kodi builds for minix units.  use that. and read the logs to see what was the error. manual update yun kodi for minix. not the one in play store.

i dont have minix u1 and briefly used it.  i am answering based on what i experienced with my x7.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jun 15, 2016 at 01:00 PM »
I tried setting up my Minix Neo U1 last night. I updated the firmware. After that, I ran into some issues.

Google Play:
While signing in to Google store, I only went as far as email address and password. After that, lumabas yung “By signing in, you agrree to the Terms and Conditions...” tapos may “Accept >” sa lower right hand corner ng screen. No matter what button I press sa remote, walang reaction so I cannot continue the procedure.

Connect a mouse via usb, that's what I did.. a mouse can help a lot if you still don't have funds for an airmouse :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jun 15, 2016 at 01:44 PM »
Thanks flashDB and reynold. Not getting an airmouse was a mistake. Try ko mamaya usb wireless mouse.

Update:
I was able to update my firmware to the latest one and installed XMBC. Problem is when I try ABC, WNBC and WCBS programs, they don't play and instead display the message "One or more files cannot play. Check the log..." Saan ba makikita yung log? Sorry as I am a newb sa android. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2016 at 10:31 AM by mars »

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jun 17, 2016 at 01:20 PM »
I enabled the log feature sa Kodi/XBMC. I still cannot play the content sa ABC, WNBC and Metadata channels. Laging "check the log." Pag check naman,blank yung log. Deactivated na kaya itong mga addons na ito?

What other apps can I download para makapanood ng movies?

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jun 17, 2016 at 04:57 PM »
^^^ Download SPMC bro :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636