Author Topic: Suggestion on Simple Audio Setup  (Read 10421 times)

Offline bogart.2006

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1890
Suggestion on Simple Audio Setup
« on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:09 AM »
Hey audio gurus.

I need your advice on a simple audio set up I plan for our house.  Warning, I know little to nothing on audio so please bear with me.

I plan to have the setup in the living room, which is an open space shared with the dining room and kitchen, around 80 to 90sqm.  It will only play music (no home theater), and I need to connect a turntable, a CD player and it needs to have bluetooth capability.  I normally listen to rock, new wave and some easy listening (like 88.3 playlist on Sundays).

I was thinking of getting a used receiver from the marketplace forum here, stick it with some decent quality standing speakers (I believe two speakers are enough for music right?) and just buy a bluetooth adaptor to get the connectivity for my devices.  Does this work?  I don't really want to spend too much as budget is kind of limited so I'm more for getting a good mix of function and SQ at a really (I mean, really) affordable price. 

Any feedback? 

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Suggestion on Simple Audio Setup
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:11 AM »
Hey audio gurus.

I need your advice on a simple audio set up I plan for our house.  Warning, I know little to nothing on audio so please bear with me.

I plan to have the setup in the living room, which is an open space shared with the dining room and kitchen, around 80 to 90sqm.  It will only play music (no home theater), and I need to connect a turntable, a CD player and it needs to have bluetooth capability.  I normally listen to rock, new wave and some easy listening (like 88.3 playlist on Sundays).

I was thinking of getting a used receiver from the marketplace forum here, stick it with some decent quality standing speakers (I believe two speakers are enough for music right?) and just buy a bluetooth adaptor to get the connectivity for my devices.  Does this work?  I don't really want to spend too much as budget is kind of limited so I'm more for getting a good mix of function and SQ at a really (I mean, really) affordable price. 

Any feedback? 

How much is your maximum budget so we can have suggestions?
Walang Setup

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM »
How much is your maximum budget so we can have suggestions?

Not sure if it's enough, but for the receiver and the speakers, I can't go over 15K.  I don't mind used ones from Japan so long as they do the job.

Oh, and one more thing... I need the receiver to have a remote control, if possible

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM »
Not sure if it's enough, but for the receiver and the speakers, I can't go over 15K.  I don't mind used ones from Japan so long as they do the job.

Oh, and one more thing... I need the receiver to have a remote control, if possible

For speakers.. Baka umabot ka pa dito.. 8k. May 7k ka pa to get a 2nd hand stereo receiver. Dami din sa MP

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,203710.0.html
Walang Setup

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM »
For speakers.. Baka umabot ka pa dito.. 8k. May 7k ka pa to get a 2nd hand stereo receiver. Dami din sa MP

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,203710.0.html

Thanks bro.  But does the setup I have in mind at least correct for what I want it to do? Receiver and two freestanding speakers?

What brand do you recommend within that budget?

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:39 AM »
Thanks bro.  But does the setup I have in mind at least correct for what I want it to do? Receiver and two freestanding speakers?

What brand do you recommend within that budget?

Well basically yes.. Get speakers and receiver/integrated amp. Use bluetooth or mobile device as source. Maganda yung speakers na nasa link. Hanap ka lanng ng 2nd hand Integrated amp or receiver kung mag HT ka in future.. Yamaha/Onkyo/Marantz/NAD/Denon. Full HT receiver or Stereo receiver. Abang ka sa MP ng mga 2nd hand worth 7k.

Pero bilisan mo sa Speakers sa link kasi mabilis mabili dito yang mga yan..
Walang Setup

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:41 AM »
Well basically yes.. Get speakers and receiver/integrated amp. Use bluetooth or mobile device as source. Maganda yung speakers na nasa link. Hanap ka lanng ng 2nd hand Integrated amp or receiver kung mag HT ka in future.. Yamaha/Onkyo/Marantz/NAD/Denon. Full HT receiver or Stereo receiver. Abang ka sa MP ng mga 2nd hand worth 7k.

Pero bilisan mo sa Speakers sa link kasi mabilis mabili dito yang mga yan..

Thanks bro, already texted the seller, sana available pa

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Walang Setup

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:47 AM »
Eto pa, isang set na Speakers and receiver

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,205218.0.html
Walang Setup

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:48 AM »
Also before you buy, pakinggan mo muna. Schedule an audition sa seller. I bet they are all willing to demo it for you.
Walang Setup

Offline kranoz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 11:18 AM »
I kinda have the same dilemma with you. (At least to what I want to achieve - I currently have class d amp and a speaker connected to a tablet using 3.5mm to rca cable).

Isusuggest ko sana sayo yung onkyo tx-8050 or tx-8160 kaso the price is very much bloated sa mga hifi shops dito saten as compared to the US price  :( . I think the tx-8160 di pa nga available. Sina-sale na lang tong 2 models na to sa US. There are also Yamaha and Harman Kardon counterparts.

I guess the suggestions above with the links would be the best path if you're not that much looking for a brand new gears.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016 at 11:20 AM by kranoz »

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Suggestion on Simple Audio Setup
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 12:33 PM »
Yes bro, really don' mind used gear

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016 at 12:33 PM by bogart.2006 »

Offline ti

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Team JuanClick
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 01:04 PM »
kung pang audio po sir .. personal suggestion ko mag integrated amp ka..

ako may onkyo avr even @ pure audio mode.. hindi ko gusto sounds.
" POVERTY deprives me of some unnecessary things in life. "

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 06:28 PM »

kung pang audio po sir .. personal suggestion ko mag integrated amp ka..

ako may onkyo avr even @ pure audio mode.. hindi ko gusto sounds.

Newbie ako sir, can you expound? As far as I know, ang pinagkaiba ng integrated amp sa receiver is may amplifier na built in? If so, your suggestion makes sense kasi I'm really aiming for a simple setup so if integrated, mas ok. What's a good brand and budget?

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7165
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 06:35 PM »
total budget is a must....1/3 of that on the speakers, 1/3 on the amplification, and 1/3 on the program source....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 06:39 PM »

with your budget, I suggest this:

the Onkyo A-9010
http://www.onkyophilippines.com/#!product-page/zgfzu/3087c80f-1dcb-8644-516a-1c7c3bae409a

or the NAD C316BEE
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-316BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier

between the two, I'd go for the Onkyo since it already has a DAC and a phono input. you'll just need to get a bluetooth adapter separately.
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 06:54 PM »

with your budget, I suggest this:

the Onkyo A-9010
http://www.onkyophilippines.com/#!product-page/zgfzu/3087c80f-1dcb-8644-516a-1c7c3bae409a

or the NAD C316BEE
http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-316BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier

between the two, I'd go for the Onkyo since it already has a DAC and a phono input. you'll just need to get a bluetooth adapter separately.

Ok nga yung Onkyo, but I'll blow my 15k budget just on the amp

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 07:10 PM »

you might want to look at powered speakers with input like the following:

Audioengine A2+ (priced at 12k)
http://www.dexterton.com/products/audioengine/a2-/04146-00021/4694/

PSB Alpha PS1 (priced at $299. not sure about the local price)
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/powered-speakers/Alpha-PS1-Powered-Speaker

both of these powered speakers are available at Spectra in Glorietta. you can also buy the Audioengine A2+ in Dexterton in 4/F, Greenbelt 5.
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2016 at 10:44 PM »

Kung bnew sir na may brand, kulang talaga ang 15k mo..
Walang Setup

Offline gutierrez

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llamas!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 12:24 AM »
2nd hand bookshel speaker and 2nd hand integrated amp, dami sa fs section

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 03:18 AM »
opinion lang sir...if uour into music, dont sacrifice the sound quality ma squeeze mo lang lahat sa 15k...sayang lang boss kung ikaw hindi fully satisfied...

may bx2 sa market place. pwedeng lepai or smsl na t amp tapos nad pp4 na phono or pyle. pagipunan mo na lang yung media streamer mo na may bluetooth..
WCH CM U?

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 874
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 06:13 AM »
15K for speakers, pre and amplification components seems to be a tall order given the space and kind of music that the TS listens to. New Waveand Rock are not satisfying to listen to if the system cannot deliver down low in frequency. Up the ante to 25K and it is doable.

Here is what I would to with 25k

- i will go pre owned to maximize price to performance ratio.

- totally disregard an AV receiver since I will be paying for features that I wont use and instead hunt for a stereo receiver that has line and phono inputs. A used NAD or CREEK will be on my radar for this. Both units are known for its clean amplification output and relatively good phono inputs as well. No remote though but the TS will use IOS or Android devices as the front end anyway.

- for the budget a pair of big bookshelf speakers with matching stands. Bookshelf speakers with 6.5inch bass/mid driver will be enough to deliver good performance. Veer away from the 5" or 4" bass/mid designs. Those will fall short of delivering the output and type of music the TS listens to. If opportunity presents itself a pre owned floorstander might be on hand.

- a subwoofer in the 8" to 10" sealed category. This is key due to the space and type of music.

- Bluetooth receiver to link devices to stereo system.

- well designed cables and of course a simple component rack.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016 at 06:17 AM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 08:50 AM »
Thanks sa mga gurus for your valued input.  I think kulang nga ang budget so I may need to add a little more kaysa mapabili nga, pagsisihan ko lang din if I'm not happy.

Anyway, the house won't be ready for another 6 months so that leaves me time to save and bargain hunt.

Is the VSX-405 from Pioneer a good one?  I just remembered that my mom has one that she doesn't use anymore so I might be able to just buy this off her at a good price :-)

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 08:58 AM »
Thanks sa mga gurus for your valued input.  I think kulang nga ang budget so I may need to add a little more kaysa mapabili nga, pagsisihan ko lang din if I'm not happy.

Anyway, the house won't be ready for another 6 months so that leaves me time to save and bargain hunt.

Is the VSX-405 from Pioneer a good one?  I just remembered that my mom has one that she doesn't use anymore so I might be able to just buy this off her at a good price :-)

I was going to suggest saving more..kesa pilitin mo bumili sa budget na 15k..hindi naman madami dagdag mo pra sa decent setup..since you will be aiming for audio only..I suggest integrated amp na lang saka speakers kesa mag AVR ka..

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 09:01 AM »
I was going to suggest saving more..kesa pilitin mo bumili sa budget na 15k..hindi naman madami dagdag mo pra sa decent setup..since you will be aiming for audio only..I suggest integrated amp na lang saka speakers kesa mag AVR ka..

Thanks bro, yeah will just save a little more to add to the budget.

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 09:07 AM »
Thanks bro, yeah will just save a little more to add to the budget.

nung una nagulat ako sabi nyo newbie kayo pero feedback nyo eh nasa 22 na hehe..kayo pala kinuhaan ko wonder wafers hehe..ako ung nasa rcbc din

yes sir 6 mos matagal pa un and mas madami ka magiging choices pra happy in the end :)

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 09:16 AM »
nung una nagulat ako sabi nyo newbie kayo pero feedback nyo eh nasa 22 na hehe..kayo pala kinuhaan ko wonder wafers hehe..ako ung nasa rcbc din

yes sir 6 mos matagal pa un and mas madami ka magiging choices pra happy in the end :)

Newbie lang sir when it comes to audio setup hehe...  I have a basic knowledge of it from setting up car audio, but we all know that it's a world of a difference

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 09:33 AM »
15K for speakers, pre and amplification components seems to be a tall order given the space and kind of music that the TS listens to. New Waveand Rock are not satisfying to listen to if the system cannot deliver down low in frequency. Up the ante to 25K and it is doable.

I agree with you. Medjo demanding sa system ang rock music if you want SQ for that genre.

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2016 at 11:26 AM »
I agree with you. Medjo demanding sa system ang rock music if you want SQ for that genre.

i will definitely bump up the budget sir based on the feedback received.  i'll be on the look out na rin for the suggested components that synchro_01 recommended

Online synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 874
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2016 at 01:45 AM »
i will definitely bump up the budget sir based on the feedback received.  i'll be on the look out na rin for the suggested components that synchro_01 recommended

Audition is key. The brands that I recommended may not suit your preference but I believe they are good all rounders that can deliver the goods. Good idea to be on the lookout in the Marketplace since most of the guys here in PDVD take care of their gears hence you get a better price to performance trade off in going pre-owned. 
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat