Author Topic: Vintage KEF 303 speaker  (Read 1811 times)

Offline fweyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vintage KEF 303 speaker
« on: Mar 05, 2016 at 10:37 PM »
Hey all. I stumbled upon a pair of KEF 303s that my parents had ever since. Did a little bit of research and found out they were made in the early 80s. Hooked them up to my Yammy AVR and played some Steely Dan and they sound fantastic considering their age. The woofers and tweets are not damaged from what I hear but unfortunately the fabric wrapping is a little torn  due to house cats using it as a scratch post before, I think.

Do you know anyone who can revive this beautiful set of speakers? And is there a market for these speakers pa kaya? Or are they too old and worth close to nothing already? I might actually just keep them and put them on some stands. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Tool.

Offline remington

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Vintage KEF 303 speaker
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2016 at 11:57 PM »
ed paman of defacto industries is the man. search for him on facebook.
tube + audio nirvana = beyond...

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2016 at 01:17 AM »
Trod93 also specializes in restoring vintage gears if your in QC.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 08:38 AM »
if its just the cloth,  you can buy transparent cloth at Shell Canvass and replace them yourself. it should not be difficult. If it includes the wood, any competent carpenter can make a from for the covers.

What ever you do, do not clean any wooden part of the speakers with water.  If it has to be cleaned, use a very very lightly damped cloth and dry immediately

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7153
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 10:11 AM »
^you can also go to any upholstery shop nearest to your place, if just for the baffle cloth, they will be able to do it...

agree with qguy, shell canvas shops is the place to go for those grill cloths...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Destuning

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 02:10 PM »
It took twice the amount of chemical to dye cloth in black color, compare to others.   That's the reason why it deteriorate easily or early.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 06:17 PM »
It did not deteriorate...

It took twice the amount of chemical to dye cloth in black color, compare to others.   That's the reason why it deteriorate easily or early.

Offline Destuning

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 08:39 PM »
It did not deteriorate...
My speaker's cover of more than 30 years also has that kind of predicament, exactly on the same spot.   It just happened this year, :o hope the owner won't blame the cat.   :)

Offline fweyd

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 10:24 PM »
Wow. Thanks for all the replies guys. The 303s dont have a removable grill kasi. It's a wrap around “sock” cloth. Will check on  shell canvas and upholstery shops. Excited to make these babies look good as they sound! :)
Tool.

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 02:41 PM »
Its KEF so it would be worth restoring sir. If DIY dapat sir ayusin din yung part na may scratch na wood, masilya might do the trick or any filler kasi lilitaw yan kahit na cover na with new cloth, try to paint flat black din yung boung surface para di aninag sa cloth yung imperfections ng box.

Actually kung ako yan baka pwede pa gamitin old cloth, labhan lang at black dye para mukhang bago ulit then yung damage sa likod ilagay with patch up na para di lumala ang punit. This is just me at kung saan makatipid, DIY kasi go both ways super tipid or super mahal  ;) plus your hours of work on it, priceless!
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2016 at 02:43 PM by ndotcom »