Author Topic: BenQ Refurbished via Ebay and Projection Screen Suggestion  (Read 2205 times)

Offline brutalpanda

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a BenQ refurbished projector via Ebay. I'm still torn between a W1070 (around $480) or HT1075 (around $570). I have several questions though:

A. is it worth to get the newer HT1075 if I'm not planning to use MHL? Almost 5K difference din kasi yung price.
B. Tsaka I was wondering if buying a refurb unit is okay. As far as I know, it's the official Ebay account of BenQ USA and is there a service center of BenQ here?
C. planning to use Johnny Air to have it shipped here in the PH. Is it advisable to have projectors shipped via air? I'm considering it's fragility.

Also, I'm not sure where to get a projector screen at the moment. Where's the best local shop for a 100" to 120" manual pull down screen? And what's the usual price range? Ebay has very cheap ones but baka mahal for the shipping.

Thanks!
Honest Movie Reviews:
http://www.reeladvice.net

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: BenQ Refurbished via Ebay and Projection Screen Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2016 at 02:50 AM »
A. why settle for refurb when you can get a brand new.  Just bought a 1080p Acer projector.  X 152 H. 2800 Lumens 449$

B. Refurb are refurb. Hit or miss. If you have it shipped to Manila. Reliability is your #1 consideration.
It would cost you 4.5k or around 90$ usd to have it shipped to Manila. But shipping from Manila to the USA is double that. around 180 usd or 9k approx.

C. Just had a projector shipped from the USA. Nothing broken. But it should be boxed wit bubble raps aside from the box of the projector itself.

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2016 at 02:55 AM »
The best screen you can get is the one which is backed by MDF or Plywood.

The roll down screen types develop curls and waves after a few months of use. The screen would curl on the sides and will distort your projected image somehow.

If you really want a pulldown screen. Get  a screen that is way bigger than your desired projected size. So that even if there are curls on the side. it would is not bad since the image is centered and not really affected by the curls on the sides.

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2016 at 08:57 AM »
A. why settle for refurb when you can get a brand new.  Just bought a 1080p Acer projector.  X 152 H. 2800 Lumens 449$ -> Well mostly price, plus the fact that these projectors are considered to be the best in their price ranger. What's the Acer projector you got and from where? Amazon?

B. Refurb are refurb. Hit or miss. If you have it shipped to Manila. Reliability is your #1 consideration.
It would cost you 4.5k or around 90$ usd to have it shipped to Manila. But shipping from Manila to the USA is double that. around 180 usd or 9k approx. -> yup, that's one of my bigger hesitations. Butknowing it's coming from BenQ directly, I'm thinking this was serviced and tested properly.

C. Just had a projector shipped from the USA. Nothing broken. But it should be boxed wit bubble raps aside from the box of the projector itself. -> May I know which service you used? Johnny Air?
Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2016 at 09:00 AM »
The best screen you can get is the one which is backed by MDF or Plywood.

The roll down screen types develop curls and waves after a few months of use. The screen would curl on the sides and will distort your projected image somehow.

If you really want a pulldown screen. Get  a screen that is way bigger than your desired projected size. So that even if there are curls on the side. it would is not bad since the image is centered and not really affected by the curls on the sides.

Okay thanks for the advice. I'm actually thinking of DIY-ing a screen. My biggest problem with a fixed screen is that if I want to go 100" or higher, the screen will cover up the doorway to the room I'm planning to use. At least sa pull down, matatago if the screen is not in use.
Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2016 at 10:06 AM »
A. Amazon. Just be careful about the NY sales tax.

B. I am not familiar with Benq warranty.  Better ask benq phils avout that.

C. JAC

Offline t-bone

• Trade Count: (+243)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2016 at 12:07 PM »
Refurbished maens a defective model that has been returned.

A new unit was issued to the original buyer, because repairs was difficult or took a long time.

Just be careful and make sure there is a solid warranty.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2016 at 12:08 PM by t-bone »
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2016 at 01:49 PM »
A. Amazon. Just be careful about the NY sales tax.

B. I am not familiar with Benq warranty.  Better ask benq phils avout that.

C. JAC

Okay thanks sir for all the help. I guess I'll go with JAC too.

Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2016 at 01:51 PM »
Refurbished maens a defective model that has been returned.

A new unit was issued to the original buyer, because repairs was difficult or took a long time.

Just be careful and make sure there is a solid warranty.

Warranty is solid but it's limited in the US so still a risk. I've decided to give it a try though. I'll update the thread once the unit arrives. Also decided to get the refurbished W1070.
Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 12, 2016 at 03:30 PM »
locally available 1080projector from Epson is 32k

I think it made more sense buying that from villman.

480 USD + tax  + 90 USD shipping is already  near the amount you spend for a  brand new unit with local warranty.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2016 at 03:31 PM by DPT »

Offline Allan_2180

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2016 at 10:47 PM »
I also got a refurbished PJ from Canada + JAC shipping fee and it cost me half of what is available here in PH.
Not all refurbished are defective, some are just returned by unsatisfied customers, some are display unit from stores, sa US ksi npakadali magsauli basta di nagustuhan ng customer.
Since manufacturer pala ang seller malamang repaired or restored na yan and they even give a warranty (although for US only and shows how confident they are with their item)
My refurb PJ works perfectly, no scratches or yellowing, even wrapped by protective film, in short...it looks like bnew.
It only had a trouble with lamp cover switch a few yrs. after but nagawa ko na din naman and everything else works fine.

And I think picture quality of a refurbished Benq W1070 is far better than bnew 32k LCD PJ.
And maybe it is worth the risk.
Re: screen, madai sa OLX na seller/distributor ng manual pulldown... some would even offer a delivery service.
Good luck with your refurb PJ!
Panasonic 42ST30
Optoma HD33
PCH-A200
Yamaha Aventage A810
Wharfedale 9.6+9CM+9DFS
US Audio 512D