Author Topic: Kata Box review  (Read 7645 times)

Offline mars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Kata Box review
« on: Jul 04, 2016 at 12:05 PM »
This is my review of the Kata Box, which includes a mini comparison with the Minix Neo U1.

I have been enjoying my Minix Neo U1 for a few weeks that I decided to get another NMT for my bedroom TV. My TV plays only a maximum of 1080p, so the UHD capability of the Minix U1 would not be necessary.

I got the Kata Box last week due to a sale they had wherein they reduced the price of the unit from P2,499 to P1,999, sans controller. I was not interested in the controller as I don't play games.

Specifications
1.5Ghz Amlogic S805 quad-core CPU
Mali-450 GPU
1GB RAM
8GB internal storage
microSD card support
WiFi
2x USB 2.0
HDMI port
Ethernet
AV Out
DC-IN
107 X 107 X 25mm
Android 4.4.2 KitKat

I initially ran into some problems with the unit, which I will discuss below. I felt that I got a lemon unit so I went back to the store a few days after to have it replaced. They replaced it with another unit which I am using now.

The product comes with a power adaptor and a basic remote. They don't include an HDMI cable, ethernet cable and AV cable.

Setup
Setup is quite easy just like the Minix. Although it has no optical out, I would not need it anyway. What is important is the HDMI slot. In lieu of the controller, I just used my old wireless mouse.

One thing that I noticed is that the unit is quite slow in booting up and opening apps (reaction time from click to opening of the app). This is in comparison to the Minix which I already have an experience with and which has higher specs. If this will be your first android NMT, I don't think you would mind the speed. Also, the Minix is more expensive so I guess I got what I paid for.

Performance
On the second day of using the first unit, I noticed that there are sporadic green and red speckled noise and line which come up from time to time. When this happens, static sounds come from the speakers. I tried using the unit on 3 TVs and using different HDMI cables, and it still happened. The problem is now gone with the new unit that I received, so I guess I just got a bad unit earlier.

It has a free 60-day MegaVPN key which is supposed to allow the user to access some international channels. However, when I tried to play some of the apps and preinstalled channels, a message that the channel is not available in our country appears. I'll try some updates in the next few days to see if it would work.

Picture quality using Netflix and HDD movies are good and clear. The Kata Box plays video at a maximum resolution of 1080p. However, there is some video stuttering when playing Netflix. This happens around 3-4 times during a movie. This doesn't happen with the Minix. With Iflix, it gets worse. I have audio, but no video.

I was quite a bit concerned when the sales guy told me that the Kata Box would not perform well and would get “corrupted” if a terabyte-level HDD is connected to it. He recommends just using gigabyte flash drives. Well, I tried using a 2 tera HDD to play a couple of movies, and they played well, without the stutter that I had when playing Netflix.

My thoughts

All in all, I would say that the Kata Box is ok for an inexpensive Android NMT box, especially if it would be your first time to own one. If you have the budget (and a UHD TV), go for NMTs with higher specs.

Note:
I just read that they are coming out with a Kata Box 2 which has higher specs than the one that I got. I have no idea as to the price and performance though.

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Kata Box review
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2016 at 11:37 AM »
Interesting.  Previously, 2k budget will only get you offline media players (no network).

A few questions, if you don't mind...
  • Have you tried playing H.265 files?  This may be asking too much from the Kata, but it'll be a gigantic bonus if it could play 4K files.
  • Does the remote have Volume up/down?  I like having my TV volume fixed, and make adjustments at my source players kasi.
  • Where did you purchase sir?  Is this the Kata store in Robinson's Forum (Pioneer)?
Thanks in advance.

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2016 at 02:06 PM »
Sir paolorenzo,

1) I haven't tried it yet as I hooked it up to my FHD TV. I'll try playing Netflix UHD movies tonight on a 4K TV, but somehow I feel that due to the larger files, there might be an effect on the video. I'll update you tomorrow on this.

2) Yes, the basic remote has volume controls.

3) I got it from the Kata Store in SM Davao.

hth.
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2016 at 02:07 PM by mars »

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2016 at 08:25 PM »
Thanks sir mars.  It most definitely helps.  Will look forward to your further updates.

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2016 at 08:48 PM »
I don't think it will be able to play netflix on hd. Netflix limits android tv boxes to just SD with the exception of the Nvidia Shield and one other device.

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2016 at 11:06 PM »
Malapit na yun release ng Kata Box 2

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2016 at 04:12 PM »
Netflix plays 2160p on the Minix U1. I tried playing netflix uhd videos using the Kata last night, and the video was bad with fine vertical lines on the screen. The tv shows the resolution as 1080p. 4k movies in my portable hdd would not play.

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017 at 04:04 PM »
I have been trying to look for an update for my Kata box but I can't find any.

Offline shoestrings

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2017 at 02:41 PM »
I have been trying to look for an update for my Kata box but I can't find any.
Are you using a kata box1? The Amlogic S805 SoC can only handle HEVC/H.265 decoding up to 1080p.
The kata box 2 can handle 4k 60fps HEVC since its using an Amlogic s905 SoC.
For the Kata Box 1 the latest update is v1.2.5 but its not available thru OTA.
I spent the summer wasting
The time was passed so easily

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017 at 01:21 PM »
My son who loves gaming and watching YT wants to have this. Any update on the units being sold today?  Now priced at 2,995.00  TIA

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017 at 02:04 PM »
My son who loves gaming and watching YT wants to have this. Any update on the units being sold today?  Now priced at 2,995.00  TIA

I really dont recommend getting them if you're planning on using it on stock. Out of of the box experience is not that great because the rom is not very well optimized and laggy. Support from Kata is abysmal.
I have several Katabox 1 (s805) and Katabox 2 (s905) which I used to tweak and mod and they worked okay with custom roms.  My Katabox 1 right now is running LibreELEC. My katabox 2 is running a modified Minix U1 rom and the other one is running Wetek OS from HUB running marshmallow.

I suggest getting a Mi Box from Globe sold at 3.8k / intogadget at Php 3,590

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017 at 06:29 PM »
+1 on the mi box for 3,590, no issues with youtube streaming. it can do light gaming.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017 at 11:07 PM »
Many thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017 at 02:53 PM »
What is the model and specs of the Mi Box please? I might get this is it is better or the same as the Minix U1.

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017 at 08:26 PM »
The exact model is MDZ-16-AB.
After I got a Mi box I eventually sold my Minix U1.
What you'll miss from the Minix u1 are the USB ports, Ethernet port, MicroSD, External Antenna and toslink.
What you'll gain from the Mi box are Official Android TV OS running Marshmallow, chromecast feature, adaptive storage, bluetooth remote with voice search, 4k/1080p netflix playback and more.
Specs:
CPU: S905X Quad-core Cortex-A53 2.0GHz
GPU: Mali 450 750MHz
RAM: 2GB DDR3
ROM: 8GB eMMC
Wifi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Dual-band Wi-Fi 2.4GHz/5GHz
Bluetooth: 4.0

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017 at 04:22 PM »
Thanks sir. Went to the Globe store in SM Davao yesterday, pero wala silang stock. I'll check with other Globe stores later.

Offline mars

• Collector
  • All I need is a mic.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017 at 04:36 PM »
@shoestrings. Does Showbox work in the Mi box? I presume Kodi is pre-installed? Thanks.

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 03, 2017 at 02:16 AM »
@shoestrings. Does Showbox work in the Mi box? I presume Kodi is pre-installed? Thanks.

I haven't tried showbox but terrarium TV works great.
Kodi isn't pre installed but you can easily download it via playstore.
SPMC is also in playstore where you can use voice serach..