Author Topic: Wetek Hub / Play 2 Review  (Read 41951 times)

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79
Re: Wetek Hub Review
« Reply #30 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 10:21 AM »
No need to apologize. Its a valid point in finding out the advantages/disadvantages the Wetek Hub has against its competitors and vise versa. Can you provide me a specific model for the Minix, Shield, others...to compare it with...?

TY. Minix U1 and Nvidia Shield are the two models I can think of.

Hi flashDB,
If you base it on the history of their first player (Wetek Play), it was released sometime Nov 2014 and latest update at the time of this writing is March 2016 (Wetek OS 1.1.7). I can't say how long they will keep updating each model.

According to the forums, there's an Android Marshmallow update in the works BUT mod seems to make no promises. I think this will rely on AMLogic's decision to support the update.

Thank for the info. Updates are important to me because or various encoding (old, new, and upcoming codecs) will be supported. I have Minix Neo X7 which still plays various files less 4k which i dont have anyway.

I visited Kod's website and saw these sponsors: Nvidia, Minix, and tada... WeTek :) I'll try to come up comparison between these options...

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 04:10 PM »
I have been using a Mede8eter 500X for around 6 years now and have been looking to get a newer model of the same brand for the longest time simply because I am very happy with its PQ and SQ. Being a long time user of the brand, I can easily dtermine differences when I get the chance to use other brands Recently, a good friend handed over his seldomly used Xiaomi MI android player so I had the chance to compare.

Earlier this morning, stickfighter paid me a visit bringing with him the Wetek Hub he is currently reviewing.  This player is really small but thie size is the only thing small about this. Please allow me to share impressions I had with this android player but bear with me as I can only share simple assesments less the technicalities using Wetek soley as a media player as I lack a good internet speed to test streamings and its other features.

Ease of navigation

Im not sure if this is the appropriate term but this player is so damn fast. I can easily navigate from one interface to another making the navigation a breeze. It reads files quickly so this player will serve well impatient users like me. The default player is KODI but there is another KODI player though it says alpha version.(pardon me if I dont get it right)

Movie and music tests

Unfortunately, Wetek was only only able to read two out of the three hard drives attached to my USB hub, one 1 tb and one 2 tb. When we were watching 13 hours, the signal got dropped. We were thinking this maybe beacuse two hard drives were attached so we removed one and everything thrown at it plays at ease afterwards. We tested DTS HD MA materials and after a few exchange of text messages with eHome, we were able to play Band of Brothers without issue. It is different though with Dolby True HD as there is no audio, we surely is missing something in the setting up of audio. We did not bother to test it back as we proceeded testing music files.

We were able to play flac, ape and mp3 without issues. The default KODI music player looks nice as the background comes with bars of different colors in 3D animation. There were files though that we were not able to play but we are not sure what type, probably wav. This might be more of user error than issue internal to Wetek.

Picture and Audio Quality

This is the biggest strength of Wetek. I have been with Mede8eter for so long a time becasue of PQ and SQ but Wetek would put this to shame. I couldn't count the number of times Stickfighter remarked how excellent the PQ is and I couldnt help but agree. I am using  a 60 inch Samsung 60H5000(plasma) and I swear I haven't seen it that good until I used Wetek. Colors are really vivid and lively. Xiaomi Mi is not even close.

Sound quality is also better than my Mede8eter.. As to how better, lets just simply say it is really better.

Others

After sveral hours of use, Wetek is just warm and has not gone hot unlike the other players I used. Im not sure if there is value to the temperature feedback but I wanted to share anyway. While the unit is very smal, it looks and feels very sturdy.. Stickfigther showed me a cellphone app that allows him to browse through his movie files using his cellphone but I think this feature is present in other android players as well.

Overall we had a great time assessing the Wetek. My around 4 hours of wtaching and listening experience can make me say this will be the andoid player for me. Time to save P 5,500 and head to EHome soon. I strongly encourage fellow HT enthusiasts to head to EHome for a personal experience of Wetek's performance but make sure you have your 5.5k with you already as you will surely want to take home one.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2016 at 04:53 PM by Onkyo606 »
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline ehome

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #32 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 04:31 PM »

Overall we had a great time assessing the Wetek. My around 4 hours of wtaching and listening experience can make me say this will be the andoid player for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed reviewing the unit :D

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 04:36 PM »
Thank for the info. Updates are important to me because or various encoding (old, new, and upcoming codecs) will be supported. I have Minix Neo X7 which still plays various files less 4k which i dont have anyway.

I visited Kod's website and saw these sponsors: Nvidia, Minix, and tada... WeTek :) I'll try to come up comparison between these options...
My pleasure. Just my opinion - I think the more important issue that Wetek needs to answer for us users is "will they solve existing problems and add more value in their updates?" Updates may be frequent but if it's all minor tweaking or worse - bog down the unit then they shouldn't release any updates.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 04:54 PM »
I'm glad you enjoyed reviewing the unit :D

There is so much to like and enjoy about Wetek, thank you for the opportunity.

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #35 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 05:55 PM »
Unfortunately being able to play reliably only one attached usb hdd may be a deal-breaker for some users. Not being able to mount hdds in a probox is disappointing. I think the Wetek Hub is more geared towards someone who has a media server setup at home.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 07:28 PM »
Unfortunately being able to play reliably only one attached usb hdd may be a deal-breaker for some users. Not being able to mount hdds in a probox is disappointing. I think the Wetek Hub is more geared towards someone who has a media server setup at home.

Or someone like me who just use the hd with the latest files in it. Stickfigther did mentioned it was not able to read his probox but seeing superb picture quality and experiencing excellent audio quality makes me crave to get one.

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #37 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 09:32 PM »
I can't argue with that. However many members here have their "collections" spanning several external hdds or installed in a probox (like I do). I've been reading foreign reviews of the Wetek Hub ever since this thread was posted and I've been frustrated that none of the reviews have tried mounting multiple hdds. That's why I made a request in a previous post to test this.

For the record I own a Minix U1. I'm mostly satisfied with it. My main quibble with the U1 is that Netflix only plays in sd. This is the reason why I was interested in the Wetek Hub. For now the trade off is not ok for me. Maybe in the future when I'm able to setup a media server. >:D

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #38 on: Oct 02, 2016 at 09:46 AM »
Nice to know that eHome is still up and running... is Ritchie still around? And is eHome the sole distributor seller of Wetek, bro StickFighter? :)

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 02, 2016 at 12:07 PM »
Nice to know that eHome is still up and running... is Ritchie still around? And is eHome the sole distributor seller of Wetek, bro StickFighter? :)
Ritchie transferred to another entity. Marvin is at the helm of eHome.

Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Tapatalk

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #40 on: Oct 02, 2016 at 01:26 PM »
New reviews added:

WETEK HUB QUICK START GUIDE

HOW TO CONNECT THE WETEK HUB TO YOUR WIFI

HOW TO GENERATE THUMBNAILS FOR YOUR MOVIE LIBRARY STORED ON YOUR EXTERNAL HD

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=208068.msg2444133#msg2444133
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016 at 01:27 PM by stickfighter »

Offline bongchillog

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 02, 2016 at 02:29 PM »
Subscribing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #42 on: Oct 02, 2016 at 02:41 PM »
No problem paps. I still have a lot to review on the functionality of the Wetek Hub...kung Netflix lang, you might want to consider this as replacement. I am sure this does not consume as much  as the PS3 ;)

Thanks bro, but im looking for a device that outputs DD and dts in Netflix
Walang Setup

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 02, 2016 at 03:38 PM »
WETEK HUB QUICK START GUIDE

Lets start with the basics shall we? Simple set up...attached the HDMI cable, antenna, adapter and your external HD and fire it up!

Wetek Hub on stand by mode (red led indicator)

Wetek Hub when turned on (blue led indicator)

For the succeeding photos, pardon me as I was just using a phone cam and an unstable holder. The pics may appear crooked :-[

This is the HOME interface of the Wetek Hub as it boots up. Its my first time seeing the interface of an Android player and IMO, its pretty slick! ;)

HOW TO CONNECT THE WETEK HUB TO YOUR WIFI

STEP 1: Access the "set-up" icon found at the left bottom corner of the interface.

STEP 2: Choose on the "Network" tile.

STEP 3: Highlight and choose "Wi-Fi" 

STEP 4: Choose your wifi access on the list of available internet access populated.

STEP 5: Enter your wifi password on the space provided and then select the ">" key on the keyboard to connect.

Viola! Were in business! 8)

HOW TO GENERATE THUMBNAILS FOR YOUR MOVIE LIBRARY STORED ON YOUR EXTERNAL HD

STEP 1: Highlight "VIDEOS" on the main menu.

STEP 2: Choose and press "Files"

STEP 3: When attaching an external HD, the Wetek Hub will label it as "udisk0." Highlight and select udisk0 to access the contents of the HD.

STEP 4: The folders on your HD will now show. Choose the folder you wish to create your library of thumbnails. In may case, its HD MOVIES ;D (Disclaimer: Please don't ask me what is contained inside the folder HD Educational Films) :P

STEP 5: On the remote, press the Properties button. A window will open. Highlight and choose "Set content."

STEP 6: Under "This directory contains," press on the up & down arrows until you see "The Movie Database." Then, take your attention to "Content scanning options" and enable the following options:
1. Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title - Enable
2. Scan Recursively  - Enable
3. Selected folder contains a single video - Disabled by default
4. Exclude path for library updates - Disabled

STEP 7: Choose and press "OK"

STEP 8: "Change content" window will appear, choose and press on "Yes."

You will now see the Wetek Hub scan your external HD, showing you the progress on the upper right hand corner of your screen, just beside the time.

And the result...tadaaaaaaaa! ;D

There several options to view the thumbnails of your movie library. For instance, the "Title" view...

Highlight the movie you wish to see more information on and press on the properties button on your remote. Choose "Movie information"

And you will see more information on the movie highlighted ;)

To be continued....

I did it the wrong way hehehe, how do I remove the fanart so I can do it as you have instructed here?

Offline bongchillog

• DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Wetek Hub Review
« Reply #44 on: Oct 02, 2016 at 03:51 PM »
Thanks bro, but im looking for a device that outputs DD and dts in Netflix

My lg smart tv can do dd in netflix. Will try on my zidoo x6 pro. Di na rin ako nag renew mg netflix.

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016 at 03:52 PM by bongchillog »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #45 on: Oct 02, 2016 at 09:48 PM »
Ritchie transferred to another entity. Marvin is at the helm of eHome.

Thanks bro for the info. ;)

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 09:49 AM »
I did it the wrong way hehehe, how do I remove the fanart so I can do it as you have instructed here?
Highlight the folder you previously "set content"-ed, press the properties button on your remote, set content again, set "this folder contains" to "none". A confirmation window will ask you if you want to remove the contents from your library, choose yes :)

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 09:51 AM »
Hi jackryan!

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 10:18 AM »
Highlight the folder you previously "set content"-ed, press the properties button on your remote, set content again, set "this folder contains" to "none". A confirmation window will ask you if you want to remove the contents from your library, choose yes :)
salamat po

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #49 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 12:02 PM »
My lg smart tv can do dd in netflix. Will try on my zidoo x6 pro. Di na rin ako nag renew mg netflix.

Yup, this is the biggest item for me in a media player, pass through DD/DTS in netflix so my receiver can get DD/DTS... So far PS3 can do this kaso lakas sa kuryente ng PS3 he he he
Walang Setup

Offline bongchillog

• DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Wetek Hub Review
« Reply #50 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 12:28 PM »
Yup, this is the biggest item for me in a media player, pass through DD/DTS in netflix so my receiver can get DD/DTS... So far PS3 can do this kaso lakas sa kuryente ng PS3 he he he

I added morepower add on on kodi..
Select 5.1 movies on streaming...
Played alice through the looking glass...

Gumana ang dolby digital.

My receiver upscales it to dolby sorround or atmos upmix

Here is the original dd track...

So i guess kaya nya rin netflix.

Sorry po ts ot....

Pahiram ng subscription.. Try ko. Hehe

« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2016 at 12:33 PM by bongchillog »

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 01:04 PM »
New review added:

WETEK HUB AS AN NMT/MEDIA PLAYER

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=208068.msg2444135#msg2444135

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #52 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 07:11 PM »

WETEK HUB AS A NMT/MEDIA PLAYER

Lets look at how the Wetek Hub performs as a media player...

Impressions:
I did test a number of films with different audio formats to see if the Wetek hub can output DTS, DTS-HDMA, Dobly Digital and Dolby Digital TrueHD. And guess what...??? The Wetek did not let me down...

DTS-HD Master Audio

Dolby Digital TrueHD

Pardon, just a question.

On testing DTS-HD MA, how come the source is 7ch (1 surround back) -- it's supposedly 8ch.  while the output is only 6ch?

And on testing Dolby TrueHD, both the source and the output are 6ch.

could it be the source is not Lossless? or maybe WETEK only processed the 6ch core audio data?  another quick way to test your source is with MPC-HC via laptop and check its properties.  If it says the material's default audio is 8ch, then perhaps, a tweak in needed on WETEK.

TIA!
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2016 at 07:18 PM by mhacman »

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #53 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 07:16 PM »
Forgot, also it can pass through Dolby Atmos. DTS:X not at the moment.

thanks, EHOME!

this is a legit Dolby Atmos-capable pass-thru, then.  Could you please share if anything is tweaked on WETEK or it's already in that set-up by default (out of box)?

which DENON AVR model are you using?  if it's DTS:X ready, firmware is already available.

anyway, I hope I could come and visit your store soon!  TIA!

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 08:20 PM »
thanks, EHOME!

this is a legit Dolby Atmos-capable pass-thru, then.  Could you please share if anything is tweaked on WETEK or it's already in that set-up by default (out of box)?

which DENON AVR model are you using?  if it's DTS:X ready, firmware is already available.

anyway, I hope I could come and visit your store soon!  TIA!

PM'd you the answer :)
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2016 at 08:29 PM by ehome »

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 09:43 PM »

Jackryan...sup brother? :) Yes, eHome is the exclusive distributor of Wetek here in the Phils, but I was told that there are some that sell it as well. Ritchie is no longer connected with eHome. He is with another AV shop, but I can't recall the name.

It was pretty nostalgic for me as I went there to pick-up the Wetek Hub brother. Memories of the time Egreat was first introduced to the community. The shop still looks the same bro. ;)

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 03, 2016 at 11:44 PM »
It was pretty nostalgic for me as I went there to pick-up the Wetek Hub brother. Memories of the time Egreat was first introduced to the community. The shop still looks the same bro. ;)
Even the dead roach on the corner is still there after all these years haha!

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 04, 2016 at 05:02 AM »
Pardon, just a question.

On testing DTS-HD MA, how come the source is 7ch (1 surround back) -- it's supposedly 8ch.  while the output is only 6ch?

And on testing Dolby TrueHD, both the source and the output are 6ch.

could it be the source is not Lossless? or maybe WETEK only processed the 6ch core audio data?  another quick way to test your source is with MPC-HC via laptop and check its properties.  If it says the material's default audio is 8ch, then perhaps, a tweak in needed on WETEK.

TIA!

Let me check the files I have. These are clips that I use to test HT calibration. I will let you know bro ;)

Offline GIJoe

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #58 on: Oct 06, 2016 at 02:20 PM »
Hi guys!

WANTED: A guinea pig brave soul to test and review the Wetek Hub. Wetek Hub is a new 4k UHD player with an officially supported Kodi app. Has DRM capabilities and can stream Netflix in Full HD (for now). It can also pass through DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD 5.1.

Requirements:

• Must be able to devote time to explore the product.
  • Must be happy to share his experience with other members.
  • Must come to our shop in Greenhills for a short orientation before getting the product. About 30 minutes should do it.
  • Must be a member of PDVD for 1 year or more.
  • Must NOT be selling media players to keep things fair. If you already own a 4k media player, it's also a plus. A comparison would be welcome.

Things to consider:

• Having a 4k display (TV or projector) is a big plus.
  • Having a Netflix account is an advantage, but not required ;)
  • Since updates will come from time to time, volunteer is encouraged to update his experience (better or worse). So, yes, this means you get to keep the unit  ;D
  • Good and fleasing fersonality.
  • Volunteer will be using a lot of his bandwidth for streaming, so please be prepared.

Did I leave something out? Please post any questions here or PM me. Other guests, please nominate or vote for the person you'd like to take on this task. Nomination and voting starts now and ends on July 29. The person with most votes gets to review the unit :) Thank you!

Hi can you check vidon kodi on the wetek hub?

Here is the link of the vidon Kodi
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252356&page=15

Vidon XMBC featires and supported chipset.
http://vidon.me/vidon_xbmc.htm

Offline GIJoe

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #59 on: Oct 06, 2016 at 03:10 PM »
Maganda review ng AVForums dito.

https://www.avforums.com/review/wetek-hub-android-tv-4k--uhd-media-player-review.12888

9/10  score the only cons they put is the no hdr and sub-par remote control.

Ilalabas din kaya dito yung Wetek Play 2s?

Wetek Play 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQsAQdz_nMk
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016 at 03:12 PM by GIJoe »