Author Topic: Wetek Hub / Play 2 Review  (Read 41823 times)

Offline ehome

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Wetek Hub / Play 2 Review
« on: Jul 14, 2016 at 11:05 PM »
Hi guys!

WANTED: A guinea pig brave soul to test and review the Wetek Hub. Wetek Hub is a new 4k UHD player with an officially supported Kodi app. Has DRM capabilities and can stream Netflix in Full HD (for now). It can also pass through DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD 5.1.

Requirements:

• Must be able to devote time to explore the product.
  • Must be happy to share his experience with other members.
  • Must come to our shop in Greenhills for a short orientation before getting the product. About 30 minutes should do it.
  • Must be a member of PDVD for 1 year or more.
  • Must NOT be selling media players to keep things fair. If you already own a 4k media player, it's also a plus. A comparison would be welcome.

Things to consider:

• Having a 4k display (TV or projector) is a big plus.
  • Having a Netflix account is an advantage, but not required ;)
  • Since updates will come from time to time, volunteer is encouraged to update his experience (better or worse). So, yes, this means you get to keep the unit  ;D
  • Good and fleasing fersonality.
  • Volunteer will be using a lot of his bandwidth for streaming, so please be prepared.

Did I leave something out? Please post any questions here or PM me. Other guests, please nominate or vote for the person you'd like to take on this task. Nomination and voting starts now and ends on July 29. The person with most votes gets to review the unit :) Thank you!
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2018 at 12:15 PM by ehome »

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: WANTED: Wetek Hub Tester
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2016 at 10:33 PM »
Challenge accepted! :)

Today, I found myself going to eHome to take on the "guinea pig" challenge of testing and writing a (unprofessional) review of the Wetek Hub android media player. ;D

So, for those who are interested about this nifty gadget...stay tuned or subscribe as we go in depth on the details of this unit O0

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2016 at 10:09 AM by stickfighter »

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Wetek Hub Review
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2016 at 10:21 AM »
Like all reviews, lets start with the UNBOXING of the Wetek Hub :)

The Wetek Hub is very well packaged. Enclosed in a very hard decent box with a slip case sleeve. Inside the box, every single component of the Wetek Hub is securely tucked in their respective compartments and are individually wrapped with plastic. It also comes with a quick start guide

So, what's included in the box...

1. The Wetek Hub
2. Remote Control Unit
3. HDMI Cable
4. Antenna
5. Power Supply
6. IR Extender
7. Update Nail (attached to the Quick Start Guide)
8. RS232 Cable
9. Quick Start Guide
10. Double Adhesive Sticker

Take a closer look...

Description: WeTek Hub is a sturdy, ultra portable media player boasting the latest 4K/UHD video codecs and certified high quality audio. An external InfraRed port allows it to be mounted and concealed behind a TV set or hidden away, making it truly discreet.

Software
Operating System: Android Lollipop 5.1

Hardware Tech Specs
Processor (CPU): Quad Core (AMLogic S905-H)
GPU: Penta Core Mali MP-450
RAM Memory: 1 GB DDR III
Flash memory: 8 GB eMMC
Wireless LAN: 802.11 B/G/N/AC
Supported Wi-Fi: 2.4/5 Ghz
Ethernet: 1000 Mbit/s
Bluetooth: 4.0
HDMI: 1x
MicroSD: 1x
USB 2.0: 1x
Serial Debug: Yes, external
IR Extender: Yes
Power socket: DC In

Impressions:
The Wetek Hub is one of the smallest Android players I have seen by far measured at almost 2.8 inches square. The unit itself is cute and very well built. It is not light and flimsy, but solid and has some weight to it. Made of hard plastic and metal internal parts, the hub has a matte finish with the Wetek logo having a glossy finish. The remote control unit (RCU) has a smooth matte finish and feels good as I grasp it on my hand. Its light and is made of hard plastic. The RCU requires Two (2) AAA batteries, which are not included. You have the option to use the RCU either as a D-pad or as an air mouse. Also comes with a power adapter which includes worldwide compatible plug adapters, IR extension cable, HDMI cable and RS232 cable.

The Wetek Hub is reasonable priced at Php5,500 and is exclusively distributed by eHome Trading at their shop located at Annapolis Street, Greenhills at the ground floor of the Annapolis Wilshire Plaza Bldg.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2016 at 10:24 AM »
WETEK HUB QUICK START GUIDE

Lets start with the basics shall we? Simple set up...attached the HDMI cable, antenna, adapter and your external HD and fire it up!

Wetek Hub on stand by mode (red led indicator)

Wetek Hub when turned on (blue led indicator)

For the succeeding photos, pardon me as I was just using a phone cam and an unstable holder. The pics may appear crooked :-[

This is the HOME interface of the Wetek Hub as it boots up. Its my first time seeing the interface of an Android player and IMO, its pretty slick! ;)

HOW TO CONNECT THE WETEK HUB TO YOUR WIFI

STEP 1: Access the "set-up" icon found at the left bottom corner of the interface.

STEP 2: Choose on the "Network" tile.

STEP 3: Highlight and choose "Wi-Fi" 

STEP 4: Choose your wifi access on the list of available internet access populated.

STEP 5: Enter your wifi password on the space provided and then select the ">" key on the keyboard to connect.

Viola! Were in business! 8)

HOW TO GENERATE THUMBNAILS FOR YOUR MOVIE LIBRARY STORED ON YOUR EXTERNAL HD

STEP 1: Highlight "VIDEOS" on the main menu.

STEP 2: Choose and press "Files"

STEP 3: When attaching an external HD, the Wetek Hub will label it as "udisk0." Highlight and select udisk0 to access the contents of the HD.

STEP 4: The folders on your HD will now show. Choose the folder you wish to create your library of thumbnails. In may case, its HD MOVIES ;D (Disclaimer: Please don't ask me what is contained inside the folder HD Educational Films) :P

STEP 5: On the remote, press the Properties button. A window will open. Highlight and choose "Set content."

STEP 6: Under "This directory contains," press on the up & down arrows until you see "The Movie Database." Then, take your attention to "Content scanning options" and enable the following options:
1. Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title - Enable
2. Scan Recursively  - Enable
3. Selected folder contains a single video - Disabled by default
4. Exclude path for library updates - Disabled

STEP 7: Choose and press "OK"

STEP 8: "Change content" window will appear, choose and press on "Yes."

You will now see the Wetek Hub scan your external HD, showing you the progress on the upper right hand corner of your screen, just beside the time.

And the result...tadaaaaaaaa! ;D

There several options to view the thumbnails of your movie library. For instance, the "Title" view...

Highlight the movie you wish to see more information on and press on the properties button on your remote. Choose "Movie information"

And you will see more information on the movie highlighted ;)

« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2016 at 01:01 PM by stickfighter »

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM »

WETEK HUB AS A NMT/MEDIA PLAYER

Lets look at how the Wetek Hub performs as a media player...

STEP 1: Attach your external HD on the player via the USB port.

STEP 2: Fire up your player. On the main menu, choose and select "MOVIES"

STEP 3: Choose and select "Title" view

STEP 4: Choose and select the movie you want to watch.

STEP 5: During playback, you can access the menu by pressing on the properties button on your remote. The menu will appear on the bottom area of your screen.

STEP 6: On the bottom right, you will see four icons. The first one is the Subtitle Menu. Here you have the ability to enable/disable and download a subtitle for your movie.

STEP 7: Next is the Video Menu. Gives you access to the different video settings.

STEP 8: Beside it is the Audio Menu. Gives you access to the different audio settings.

STEP 9: Last but not least, the Bookmark Menu. Here you will find the chapters of the movie if it is available on the file downloaded. You can also set your personal bookmarks by creating one.

Impressions:
I own two NMT players...namely, the Egreat R6A-II and a Med8ter 600X3D. Both media players don't come close to the PQ/AQ of the Wetek Hub. The clarity of sound and vibrant colors that the Wetek can produce is simply awesome.

In terms of navigation, this player is really fast. The response of the Wetek to the remote is fast, so as long as you point it directly at the unit. The remote works best on its D-pad option. As for the Air Mouse option, it sucks. The air mouse option is slow and can only be moved up, down, left or right. I am not an air mouse user and still prefer the D-pad, so it is not an issue for me.

The thumbnail feature of the player is cool. It does not only give you the images of your movie library, but will also give you the synopsis of the film and then some.

I did test a number of films with different audio formats to see if the Wetek hub can output DTS, DTS-HDMA, Dobly Digital and Dolby Digital TrueHD. And guess what...??? The Wetek did not let me down...

DTS

DTS-HD Master Audio

Dolby Digital

Dolby Digital TrueHD

Conclusion:
The Wetek Hub used as a media player is superb. Awesome PQ/AQ from such a small machine vs that of my Egreat and Med8ter. Navigating the player is FAST!!! The machine itself is fast. From standby mode till it boots up is approximately 22 secs. Yes, that includes reading your HD attached. While in use, I touched the player to feel if it heats up, and it doesn't. User interface is very friendly and easy to understand. I can attest to this, as I am an iOS fanatic. Overall, I am glad I have this player. I am happy with its performance, speed and ability to output different digital audio formats. So if you're looking for a good media player...I highly recommend the Wetek Hub :)

Points to consider: The Wetek Hub has only 1 USB port.
1. I tried to connect my ProBox containing 4 x 2TB HDs and the unit was unable to read/detect it. (Will further test this out using LibreELEC)
2. We, (Tirso & I), tried to use a USB hub connecting 3 external HDs and it was only able to read/detect 2 out of 3. We tried to play 13hrs and while we were watching, the movie stopped and the unit suddenly booted up.
3. I connected a single HD. The unit read/detected it and when we watched 13hrs again, it played it continuously with no issues whatsoever.

STAY TUNED...MORE REVIEWS TO FOLLOW...

« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2016 at 01:02 PM by stickfighter »

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Wetek Hub Review
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2016 at 01:15 PM »
i was wondering what is the purpose of the double adhesive tape until you mentioned Wetek can be installed behind the tv. Please test this feature extensively as this is the only player I heard of that comes with this feature.

Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Tapatalk

SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2016 at 02:14 PM »
hi, sir.  congrats having this opportunity for review!

when you start testing/reviewing its performance, kindly include as well its capability to pass-thru ATMOS & DTS:X audio with equally capable AVR.

Also with below movie materials too:
   X265
   2K/4K

TIA!

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 12:29 AM »
i was wondering what is the purpose of the double adhesive tape until you mentioned Wetek can be installed behind the tv. Please test this feature extensively as this is the only player I heard of that comes with this feature.

Yes, given the compact size of the Wetek Hub, it maybe the only Android player that can be securely attached behind the panel of your TV using the double adhesive tape supplied, so as not to be seen. This is why it comes with a 2 meter IR extended cable. However, why would you want to hide this awesome looking little Hub? I won't...but that's just me O0

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 12:31 AM »

when you start testing/reviewing its performance, kindly include as well its capability to pass-thru ATMOS & DTS:X audio with equally capable AVR.

X265
   2K/4K

TIA!

Thank you sir. Unfortunately, I do not have a 4K TV, but when they demoed the unit to me at eHome, they showed me that it is capable of playing 4K and mkv x265. Marvin from eHome has a 4K TV in their show room. He can respond to your query sir. Stay tuned :)
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2016 at 10:35 AM by stickfighter »

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 08:11 AM »
Please check if netflix outputs Dolby and DTS, some player outputs only stereo
Walang Setup

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 09:14 AM »
Since there is only one usb port please check if it works with a usb hub. Check also for the maximum number of external hdds that can be mounted by the unit. I want to see how this compares with the U1 that can mount only three external hdds. While you're at it please do check if mouse and hdds can work together thru the usb hub.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 10:33 AM »
Please check if netflix outputs Dolby and DTS, some player outputs only stereo

Unfortunately, the Wetek Hub cannot output Dolby & DTS when viewing movies on Netflix. Just 2.0, but it supports full 1080p HD DRM video streaming :)

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 11:35 AM »
Since there is only one usb port please check if it works with a usb hub. Check also for the maximum number of external hdds that can be mounted by the unit. I want to see how this compares with the U1 that can mount only three external hdds. While you're at it please do check if mouse and hdds can work together thru the usb hub.

Regarding the USB hub, this will have to follow, as I do not have one available. I shall purchase one and will update you. :)

Pending queries:
1. Check if the Hub works with a USB hub attached.
2. Check how many HD's can the Hub access with a USB hub attached?
3. Check if a mouse and keyboard can work on the USB hub.

On the number of HD's that the Hub can access, I have a ProBox with 4 units x 2TB HD's = 8TB of storage filled with some good stuff. I attached it to the Hub and it was not able to access/read the ProBox :(

On the flip side, I attached my 2TB HD and it was able to read its contents flawlessly ;)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 11:49 AM »
Unfortunately, the Wetek Hub cannot output Dolby & DTS when viewing movies on Netflix. Just 2.0, but it supports full 1080p HD DRM video streaming :)

Thanks bro, naghahanap kasi ako pang palit sa PS3 na pang Play ng netflix. Malakas kasi sa Kuryente ang PS3 kung netflix lang
Walang Setup

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 12:20 PM »
Thanks bro, naghahanap kasi ako pang palit sa PS3 na pang Play ng netflix. Malakas kasi sa Kuryente ang PS3 kung netflix lang

No problem paps. I still have a lot to review on the functionality of the Wetek Hub...kung Netflix lang, you might want to consider this as replacement. I am sure this does not consume as much  as the PS3 ;)

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 05:40 PM »

X265
   2K/4K

TIA!

Hi mhacman,
Yes. It can play x265 and 4K. Please see this photo

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 05:47 PM »

X265
   2K/4K

TIA!

Forgot, also it can pass through Dolby Atmos. DTS:X not at the moment.

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 06:27 PM »
Hi mhacman,
Yes. It can play x265 and 4K. Please see this photo

Nice. I am just curious if it plays the video. does it drop frames continuously?

Or is it just the video just started?

Offline Oloap

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 07:20 PM »
HI.

I've seen a YouTube review that this can mirror IOS . Can you pls verify?
Thanks.

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 09:24 PM »
what about OS upgrades/updates? is it actively being developed by the community?

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 10:49 PM »

Nice. I am just curious if it plays the video. does it drop frames continuously?

For both the 4K and x265, the video plays seamlessly. I personally saw this first hand when I auditioned the unit at eHome :)

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 10:50 PM »
HI.

Thanks.

I would have to check on this. I shall get back to you Oloap :)

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 10:57 PM »
what about OS upgrades/updates? is it actively being developed by the community?

That's one of the things I considered before committing into this review. Wetek's support and developers are very active and aggressive in their updates. In fact, Wetek has their own forum where the developers themselves are in communication with end users. You can check this out at http://www.wetekforums.com/ ;)

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2016 at 11:07 PM »
Oh nice. Also one of my primary considerations. How does it compare with Minix, Shield, others ?

Sorry if this question is out of line re review of the product. Objective is to highlight the strengths of it against the competition.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 03:38 AM »
Oh nice. Also one of my primary considerations. How does it compare with Minix, Shield, others ?

Sorry if this question is out of line re review of the product. Objective is to highlight the strengths of it against the competition.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

No need to apologize. Its a valid point in finding out the advantages/disadvantages the Wetek Hub has against its competitors and vise versa. Can you provide me a specific model for the Minix, Shield, others...to compare it with...?

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 09:34 AM »
HI.

Thanks.
Hi Oloap,
Can you please give me the youtube review so I can test it out? Do you mean mirror or casting?

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 09:39 AM »

I'll test on some more videos and get back to you next week :)

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 09:45 AM »

Hi flashDB,
If you base it on the history of their first player (Wetek Play), it was released sometime Nov 2014 and latest update at the time of this writing is March 2016 (Wetek OS 1.1.7). I can't say how long they will keep updating each model.

According to the forums, there's an Android Marshmallow update in the works BUT mod seems to make no promises. I think this will rely on AMLogic's decision to support the update.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2016 at 09:47 AM by ehome »

Offline Oloap

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 10:07 AM »
Hi Oloap,
Can you please give me the youtube review so I can test it out? Do you mean mirror or casting?

Let me look for it again then will send the link.

Offline Oloap

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 01, 2016 at 10:12 AM »