Author Topic: NAS + Plex  (Read 2704 times)

Offline jrcrunch

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
NAS + Plex
« on: Aug 12, 2016 at 11:26 PM »
any NAS and plex users here?

i want to buy this so i can share my media with the whole fam.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GB9ZJ3Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AA7IN00UNXO83

kaya naman to 4k and dolby atmos? future proofing lang :)

Online bartender

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Neknek mo
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 117
Re: NAS + Plex
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2016 at 07:08 AM »
any NAS and plex users here?

i want to buy this so i can share my media with the whole fam.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GB9ZJ3Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AA7IN00UNXO83

kaya naman to 4k and dolby atmos? future proofing lang :)

Why not just get a dedicated NAS with 4K transcoding?  If you have good internet connection at home, you can even turn it into a personal cloud storage.
Pwede naman magtagalog.  Let's make PDVD a better place.  https://www.englishgrammar101.com

Offline jrcrunch

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2016 at 03:22 AM »
Why not just get a dedicated NAS with 4K transcoding?  If you have good internet connection at home, you can even turn it into a personal cloud storage.

eto product specs sir
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS416play

Offline dazed

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2016 at 08:33 PM »
I went with the NAS + Emby Server + Kodi Client route, rather than Plex

Used a QNAP 653A, hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI (thru a Denon receiver and saves me a player in one room), handles 4K and Atmos easily

Just set it up recently, but so far so good...
Audio: Cayin MT-45 mkii|B&W 602s2|Gramovox TT
HT: Denon X4200W|B&W 683s2, HTM Matrix, 601s2, GE 525

Offline jrcrunch

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2016 at 02:14 AM »
I went with the NAS + Emby Server + Kodi Client route, rather than Plex

Used a QNAP 653A, hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI (thru a Denon receiver and saves me a player in one room), handles 4K and Atmos easily

Just set it up recently, but so far so good...

ilan memory ng qnap mo sir?

magiging malayo NAS ko sa home theater (which is located sa attic namin).

pero the NAS is connected to our router and may cat6 connection din ang home theater going to the router. kaya ba yun?? or pwde ba iwan yung NAS sa home theater haha? baka delikado esp if wala tao at baka mainit.

or bili na lang ako ng 4 bay hard drive enclosure with tb hard drives. then connect to the router and connected sa 4k media player ko sa home theater? ayos na ba ganon?

thank you
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016 at 02:25 AM by jrcrunch »

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2016 at 07:31 AM »
I am using a DNS-320L nas running Twonky server (DLNA) serving a Kodi client on my minix U1 in the living room, an LG Smart TV in the bedroom, another PC on kodi and two tablets on SPMC. You only need PLEX if you need to transcode the video. Within a home network environment DLNA is good enough. It doesn't matter where you place the NAS as long as it is connected to your network. I'm running a gigabit home network and 802.11ac wifi.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016 at 07:35 AM by uvax »

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2016 at 07:33 AM »

pero the NAS is connected to our router and may cat6 connection din ang home theater going to the router. kaya ba yun?? or pwde ba iwan yung NAS sa home theater haha? baka delikado esp if wala tao at baka mainit.

or bili na lang ako ng 4 bay hard drive enclosure with tb hard drives. then connect to the router and connected sa 4k media player ko sa home theater? ayos na ba ganon?

thank you

If connected via cable ang NAS mo  papunta sa playing device then there shouldnt be any problem. Wala naman sigurong 100 meters ang haba ng cable right?
Walang Setup

Offline dazed

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2016 at 09:11 AM »

thank you

I have 16GB on my QNAP 653A. Max is supposed to be 8GB, but saw that a lot of people had it working with 16, and memory was cheap enough so went for that.

Distance shouldn't be an issue, particularly if you're not using wifi. I have mine set up on a gigabit network as well (make sure you're using a gigabit switch, btw)

My NAS is in the home theater, router and switch are in another room. But you're right, mainit and I had to take it out of the enclosed cabinet and just put in beside my center speaker. Admittedly, maingay minsan (the hard drive sounds)

The hard drive enclosure connected to the router will be cheaper (a NAS isn't cheap), but depends on what you need. For simple playback by multiple clients, baka pwede na, although I can't vouch for it as I've never tried that. I really needed a NAS as this machine is on 24/7 (primarily for Sonarr and automated downloads), and since mine had HDMI, figured I'd use that as the media player in one room as well.

I am using a DNS-320L nas running Twonky server (DLNA) serving a Kodi client on my minix U1 in the living room, an LG Smart TV in the bedroom, another PC on kodi and two tablets on SPMC. You only need PLEX if you need to transcode the video. Within a home network environment DLNA is good enough. It doesn't matter where you place the NAS as long as it is connected to your network. I'm running a gigabit home network and 802.11ac wifi.

Agree with uvax that you don't really need Plex unless you need to transcode. In my case, the client machines are running Kodi and can play my sources natively, and I didn't need to transcode as well. I did opt to use Emby server - just had to install the Emby add-on in the Kodi clients. The main attraction of Emby was to manage my library (that sits in the NAS), and its ability to sync Viewed status across all clients. i.e. I could start watching something in one room and move to another room and pick up exactly where I left off. That's another thing - if you only use a hard drive enclosure connected to the router, you'll still need another machine to run Plex, Emby, or any other backend you might want to use.
Audio: Cayin MT-45 mkii|B&W 602s2|Gramovox TT
HT: Denon X4200W|B&W 683s2, HTM Matrix, 601s2, GE 525

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2016 at 09:43 AM »
ako din. disabled plex because it is taking some proc/mem. kodi nalang mas simple :) ma try nga rin yun Emby.

Offline jrcrunch

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2016 at 04:50 PM »
hmm sige ganito na lang. don't really need plex but ang importante ma-share ko lang media files ko with the whole house and kaya magplay ng 4k movies at atmos audio at our home theater

lahat ng rooms ay may connection sa gigabit ethernet with cat-6 cables

sige ganito na lang. sa room ko na lang yung NAS- so any NAS ba will do?
each rooms will have its own media player naman, at sa home theater 4k media player and connected to lahat sa gigabit ethernet din. si 4k player na bahala sa pagplay ng 4k and atmos sounds basta connected sya sa gigabit network and connected din dun yung NAS. tama ba? sorry di talaga ako techie hahaha

eto yung network namin sa house
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016 at 05:08 PM by jrcrunch »

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2016 at 05:56 PM »
sige ganito na lang. sa room ko na lang yung NAS- so any NAS ba will do? -- yes, technically. make sure capable (mostly naman) kaya mag share via different protocol.

yun media player mo dapat kaya mag connect sa NAS via different protocol. haven't seen one na limited pero just be sure check mo parin.

and tama ka, yun media player mo na bahala mag transcode ng 4k.

Offline jrcrunch

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2016 at 06:14 PM »
sige ganito na lang. sa room ko na lang yung NAS- so any NAS ba will do? -- yes, technically. make sure capable (mostly naman) kaya mag share via different protocol.

yun media player mo dapat kaya mag connect sa NAS via different protocol. haven't seen one na limited pero just be sure check mo parin.

and tama ka, yun media player mo na bahala mag transcode ng 4k.

actually both sila nakaconnect sa same gigabit ethernet switch. yung NAS and mga media player. ano ok na 4k media player?