Author Topic: Media Streamer - Paritcularly CATV signal  (Read 2462 times)

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Media Streamer - Paritcularly CATV signal
« on: Oct 11, 2016 at 06:41 PM »
Hi guys,

I would like to stream my Cable TV signal (audio and video) through the home network and send it to my television from anywhere in the house.

Is there such a device where the CATV signal will pass thru a streamer box, then output it wirelessly through the network.  Then the TV will have a device such as a Google Chromecast or similar that would receive the streamed signal for output in the TV?

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Media Streamer - Paritcularly CATV signal
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2016 at 07:22 PM »
Hi guys,

I would like to stream my Cable TV signal (audio and video) through the home network and send it to my television from anywhere in the house.

Is there such a device where the CATV signal will pass thru a streamer box, then output it wirelessly through the network.  Then the TV will have a device such as a Google Chromecast or similar that would receive the streamed signal for output in the TV?

I guess you need a PVR/DVR for that.   It basically records it into digital format then just stream it like any other files. The question is if it can do it real time, not save it,  and only stream the things you want to watch at that moment.

Things would be alot easier if you have a PC that have a Digital tuner/Video input card and act as a DVR it self. 

I am not sure though but the upcoming Kodi 17 has PVR function if I am not mistaken.

If you plan to use chromecast, the last time i checked you need Google chrome to be able to cast to chromecast. With a PC you have no problems with that.

Not keen of using splitters to connect your TV to a single cable tv line? There are powered ones that avoid degradation of signal. I am not sure about digita cable tv though.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2016 at 07:35 PM by DPT »

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2016 at 09:06 PM »
Check out the Slingbox http://www.slingbox.com/

You can watch the video stream through an app on your mobile device. You can cast it to your chromecast from there.

http://support.slingbox.com/en/KB/KB-2000588.aspx

I've been considering doing this myself.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2016 at 09:21 PM by uvax »

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2016 at 03:58 PM »
The slingbox is interesting.

My cable service does not have a cable TV box. Just a straight cable line into the TV.  How will that be connected to the slingbox?

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM »
The slingbox is interesting.

My cable service does not have a cable TV box. Just a straight cable line into the TV.  How will that be connected to the slingbox?

You're still on analog cable service? You must not be in Metro Manila then.

To use the slingbox you'll need to have an AV feed to the slingbox. This means you'll need to get an analog cable set top box in order to feed AV signal to the slingbox. These are the set top boxes used for non-cable ready TVs. You can ask your cable provider if they still have it.

One more option is if your TV has AV outputs. You can use that to feed the slingbox. The TV will have to be on when you stream like this though.

Since you're still on analog cable you can just do it the old fashioned way with signal splitters and running coax cables to your other TVs.

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2016 at 03:06 PM »

To use the slingbox you'll need to have an AV feed to the slingbox. This means you'll need to get an analog cable set top box in order to feed AV signal to the slingbox. These are the set top boxes used for non-cable ready TVs. You can ask your cable provider if they still have it.

One more option is if your TV has AV outputs. You can use that to feed the slingbox. The TV will have to be on when you stream like this though.

Since you're still on analog cable you can just do it the old fashioned way with signal splitters and running coax cables to your other TVs.

If you are still on analog, the best way to do it is use what Uvax just said.  Signal splitters  can be bought from Ace or like.  Just make sure you get the powered ones that boost the signal to avoid the signal getting too weak when it is being shared by 2 or more TV.

When the signal gets too weak. The reception/images on your Tv sets will be full of artifacts.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2016 at 03:07 PM by DPT »

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2016 at 01:53 PM »
There are digital CATV providers but we stayed with analog for economic purposes.

You've got a great idea.  Will check out for those AV outputs. If ok, then will get the slingbox.

Thanks!

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2016 at 01:54 PM »
Very good input.

Thanks!

If you are still on analog, the best way to do it is use what Uvax just said.  Signal splitters  can be bought from Ace or like.  Just make sure you get the powered ones that boost the signal to avoid the signal getting too weak when it is being shared by 2 or more TV.

When the signal gets too weak. The reception/images on your Tv sets will be full of artifacts.

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2016 at 03:18 PM »
There are digital CATV providers but we stayed with analog for economic purposes.

You've got a great idea.  Will check out for those AV outputs. If ok, then will get the slingbox.

Thanks!

If you're going to buy a Slingbox go for the Slingbox M2. M1 and M2 are basically identical except that for the M2 you have free unlimited slingplayer app downloads for all your mobile devices. The Slingplayer 500 is for HDMI which you don't need.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016 at 03:19 PM by uvax »

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2016 at 08:16 AM »
Bookmarking

If the signal is digital does it do it like a splitter from one of the digital tv boxes or will count as one? How is the channel selection?

If the signal is analog to stream do you select one at a time ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toy

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2016 at 01:11 PM »
The slingbox streams the signal coming from the output of your cable box. Whatever channel your cable box is tuned into is what you get to watch.  It comes with an IR emitter cable that you plug into the slingbox and aim at your cable box so you can change channels even while watching from an app on your tablet or celfone.