Author Topic: ONKYO 343 - NG L R  (Read 12966 times)

Offline Templar01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO 343 - NG L R
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 12:15 PM »
It's currently there at the service center w/ other 343s SMH, looks like a known issue. What a waste. I know it's an entry level AVR but still...it's like 5x the price of the amp I bought in Raon that lasted me over 10 years and still going strong.

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 12:58 PM »
have you asked if the HDMI issue prevalent in the past models still exists on current Onkyo models?

goodluck with your Onkyo repair, sir.. hope once fixed to never recur ever.. =))

Offline Templar01

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Mar 01, 2017 at 09:56 AM »
I was advised that HDMI is not an issue with the new 343,  although I was given a heads up to power off everything before plugging/unplugging HDMI cables.

BTW, I got the 343 back from the service center I think that was on Feb 9, so that's 3 weeks now. It's working fine since then. I'm no longer using my floor standers since based a previous post, the 343 "might" be under powered for the speakers I am using before. I really miss the sound of my MB Quart speakers. I bought a pair of Diamond 220s to replace them.

Double checked the wiring before hooking everything back up. I did not find anything wrong.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2017 at 10:27 AM »
you may sell your 343 and get a more powered with capability of driving your current speakers.. mas magiging masaya ka very misses the audio performance you really wanted to hear =))

as for your 220s, put it in rear and re-route smaller ones for your heights..

Offline Templar01

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2017 at 10:45 AM »
Thanks. I guess that will be my route. It's actually the same advise I got from the place I bought the 220s from after telling them the situation.

Based on everything that occurred on my escapades (auditions, service center visits, window shopping), I find that the Onkyo 343 is a relatively good entry level AVR for small speaker set up. In fairness to the 343, it's still much much better than home theater in a box  or soundbar set ups, provided you have good speakers to match it up with.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2017 at 10:49 AM by Templar01 »

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #35 on: Sep 04, 2017 at 05:54 PM »
Update: I bought this SR343 last January 2017.

Today I went home and the amp was kaput. I power up, no display... I hear a faint click.

Check all speaker cables, nothing. Tomorrow it goes to service center. Not a good sign in terms of experience with this brand. Prior amp was a Denon and prior to that was a Pioneer. So far only the Pioneer was the only one that left my household without any damage or repair required.

Will update as necessary.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 05, 2017 at 10:28 PM »
Update: I took the receiver to the service center and lo and behold it worked there without issue. Boy was my face red :(

Anyhoo, they gave it a thorough test and I guess when I reset it, I just didn't wait long enough for the settings to clear.

I did re-do my entire wiring setup just to be safe and it's all back together working.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 06, 2017 at 01:40 PM »
^ good for you, sir.. congratz, no issue with your 343  ;D

would you not mind sharing why did you attempt to reset it?  was it after a FW upgrade?

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 06, 2017 at 06:52 PM »
^ good for you, sir.. congratz, no issue with your 343  ;D

would you not mind sharing why did you attempt to reset it?  was it after a FW upgrade?

In the manual it says to press the power button WHILE holding down the power button on the unit itself. Display will say "Clear" and reset it to factory settings.

Last night, I had the same issue again (around 10pm). This time I knew what to do. I removed everything and Unplugged it overnight for the AMP DIAG to clear from the receiver's memory.

In the morning, I did a more methodical install starting with just the Front Speakers, play some content for 15 minutes, then added the center speaker and repeated the cycle adding a speaker every 15 minutes (powering down every cycle before adding a speaker).

This time I left out the powered subwoofer. Lo and behold 4 hours later still no issue.

I remember some years ago I had a problem with the active sub (blew a fuse) so I opened up the subwoofer. Lo and behold I saw the culprit, some damage on the circuit board (blown transistors). Now I think I appreciate the amp protect features of this product which I did not have on my previous Denon (purchased last 2010). It was probably the active sub that caused damage to my prior receiver. I DID have the amp repaired before I sold it so I'm not a scammer he he he.

From the service center, they said this model is a "entry level" so it does not have a firmware update.

Offline juicepogi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #39 on: Oct 11, 2017 at 09:05 AM »
Mine just displayed NG L R today... Onkyo 343. Is there a way to reset or we really need to bring this back to the store?

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 29, 2017 at 05:37 PM »
Update: My unit started experiencing AMP Diag and Check SP wire issues beginning on December 15.

After my last post last September I haven't connected a subwoofer back to the system.

So what I did was to check the speaker wires and tried all sorts of combinations of speakers and even changed out all my speaker wire (since they were 10+ years old anyway).

Anyway, I kept getting the error even while resetting the unit.

I ended up not being able to play anything continuously for more than 3-4 hours without the amp shutting down.

I therefore took the unit back to Onkyo service and told them all that happened even changing the speaker wire and testing each speaker for shorts and impedance.

They had me leave the unit and I was actually expecting the service to take more than a 1 week. However within 2 days I got a call from them telling me the unit was already fixed so I went to get it.

Unit is still within warranty and what service said they did was to upgrade the firmware and install a fan. I guess since the firmware isn't user upgradable only the service center was able to do it. I also saw the fan unit installed inside and it's pretty quiet so I'm not bothered by it's addition.

This unit is actually supplanted by the newer SR 373 so basically I give my experience jumping from Denon to Onkyo a neutral rating. I never had an issue with prior receiver purchases (Pioneer, Denon) within the warranty period.

That said would I get another Onkyo again? Probably yes because the service center was pretty responsive to every visit I made and I think for equipment like this, it's more important to ensure there is a place where they can be serviced.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 29, 2017 at 10:03 PM »
+ rating with the Onkyo service center... can we know where is that service center, sir?  thanks!

Offline t-bone

• Trade Count: (+243)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 592
« Reply #42 on: Dec 29, 2017 at 10:19 PM »
Unit is still within warranty and what service said they did was to upgrade the firmware and install a fan. I guess since the firmware isn't user upgradable only the service center was able to do it. I also saw the fan unit installed inside and it's pretty quiet so I'm not bothered by it's addition.

Onlyo receivers run very hot for some reason.  Bakit kaya ganun ang design nila?

Daming blogs telling people to add an extra fan to their Onkyo units to prevent Shutdown.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017 at 10:21 PM by t-bone »
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 30, 2017 at 01:57 AM »
+ rating with the Onkyo service center... can we know where is that service center, sir?  thanks!

The service center is located at West Wing Bldg, 107 West Ave QC.

Onlyo receivers run very hot for some reason.  Bakit kaya ganun ang design nila?

Daming blogs telling people to add an extra fan to their Onkyo units to prevent Shutdown.

No idea. I'm just speculating pero this was a entry level unit so baka tinitipid as much as possible pero in some environments it's more prone to issues (tropical country) just like vehicles meant for different markets are tropicalized.

Spent nearly the whole day binge watching content on Netflix and no shutdown so I hope this is the last I need to bring it there for awhile.

Offline juicepogi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2018 at 02:39 PM »
Mine just displayed NG L R today... Onkyo 343. Is there a way to reset or we really need to bring this back to the store?
Paid 2,500 for repair and it's just 2 days after the warranty has lapsed.