Author Topic: Android vs Intel Base NMTs, which is better?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline nallasartal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Android vs Intel Base NMTs, which is better?
« on: Oct 21, 2016 at 06:55 PM »
I have a Minix Neo X7 and plan to upgrade since there are files (h.265) which are not readable, and besides my X7 has serviced me for about 2 years. Now, I want to try an Intel-based NMT, Minix Z 83-4, a Windows 10 OS with 4GB ram, and 32GB internal memory, among other specs. I will be receiving the unit first week of November. My questions are, for those who are using Intel-based NMTs, such as the Minix Neo Z64 or other brands:

1. Is there a KODI app in Windows?
2. If android has Play Store, what is there for Windows? 
3. Would a Windows base NMT run smoother than a Android NMT?
4. Would I experience difficulties adjusting to this new format from Android to Windows? By the way, my desktop and laptop are Windows 7, so I think this could be something that I should likewise prepare...

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79
Re: Android vs Intel Base NMTs, which is better?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2016 at 07:25 PM »
1. Is there a KODI app in Windows? -- yes
2. 2. If android has Play Store, what is there for Windows?  -- call it the "store" too
3. Would a Windows base NMT run smoother than a Android NMT? -- depends, so far i've tried Intel Compute Stick (not so but works), old Core2Duo laptop (fast on SSD), and laptop again i7 4th gen (fast on traditional drive and SSD)
4. Would I experience difficulties adjusting to this new format from Android to Windows? -- pass thru. most android players i tried meron "pass thru" settings. sa windows you have to config it with x amounts of clicks and restarts.

i also own x7 and had experiment on windows months ago. i still find android/minix simpler than windows.

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2016 at 11:08 PM »
1. Yes. 
2. I dunno never used a windows based NMT. I was using a Windows based Laptop as my media player before.  But never get to see if there is a store.

3. It will be relatively snappy. I was using a 3 year old ULV AMD laptop  that time ,and it runs Kodi and Windows 7 okay.  Windows 10 is relatively almost the same as Windows 7 in system requirements. Infact you can run Windows 10 with 2GB ram and still be relatively okay.

4. One nice thing about a Windows 10 box is you can do away with passthrough if you do not have a receiver. You can get an USB 5.1 external sound card  and relatively have most of the 5.1 sounds format out due to software support.

Most  android boxes can pass the 5.1 signal but cannot decode it. It needs a receiver to decode it.  Theoretically  a Windows 10 based PC can decode it without for a need of a receiver.

But for 15k. I think I can build a HTPC, NAS, Torrent machine, Gigabit switch, Wifi router all in one box. But it will consume a little more power.

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2016 at 11:21 PM by DPT »

Offline nallasartal

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2016 at 05:22 PM »
Thanks @flashDB and @DPT, I finally geared away from the windows-based NMT (Minix Neo Z83-4), as I really do not want to have another PC, which windows-based NMTs are for, basically... I have bought the Minix Neo U1, and so far I am satisfied... Again thanks.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2016 at 05:23 PM »
good choice. while i dont have 4K contents and display, I'll stick to x7 :) it's a bit slow pero pede na tsagain :)

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2016 at 09:44 AM »
There are Windows based media players out there using the quad-core Atom Z8300 procs. They come with Win 10 pre-installed.  The cheaper ones aren't activated so a Windows license key must be bought separately.  Yes, you can install Linux but only 32-bits is supported even if the CPU is 64-bit because the UEFI BIOS only supports 32-bits.

The biggest drawback for me is they don't support HDMI-CEC. They can't be controlled from the TV's remote. You have to control it from its own remote.

There are also newer media players based on the AMLogic S905X. This chipset is cheaper than the one used on the Minix Neo U1. Ethernet PHY is built-in the chip but is only 100mbps. It supports 4K and the VP9 format files.

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2016 at 06:22 PM »
There are Windows based media players out there using the quad-core Atom Z8300 procs. They come with Win 10 pre-installed.  The cheaper ones aren't activated so a Windows license key must be bought separately.  Yes, you can install Linux but only 32-bits is supported even if the CPU is 64-bit because the UEFI BIOS only supports 32-bits.

The biggest drawback for me is they don't support HDMI-CEC. They can't be controlled from the TV's remote. You have to control it from its own remote.

There are also newer media players based on the AMLogic S905X. This chipset is cheaper than the one used on the Minix Neo U1. Ethernet PHY is built-in the chip but is only 100mbps. It supports 4K and the VP9 format files.

One thing i noticed about AM S905x boxes is that  they cannot play 4k H265 10 Bit files at 60fps as far as Kodi is concerned.   The have a hard time also with fast forward and rewinds. Like it pauses bit. 

The S912 is can and no issues with the ones above.  I guess S912 Based box  is a better investment for a few hundred or a thousands more.

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2016 at 06:23 PM by DPT »

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2016 at 08:55 AM »
Meron na minix na S912-based? What model?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline GIJoe

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284