Author Topic: PS4 PRO and 4K HDR Receiver  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Icermad

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
PS4 PRO and 4K HDR Receiver
« on: Nov 17, 2016 at 06:06 PM »
Hi guys.. Question lang.. If I will upgrade to PS4 PRO and to a 4K HDR TV... Do I need to also upgrade my receiver to a 4K HDR capable receiver? Thanks

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: PS4 PRO and 4K HDR Receiver
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2016 at 07:26 PM »
- PS4 Pro to 4K HDR TV using HDMI then TV to AVR using Toslink cable
- 4K HDR media player to 4K HDR TV using HDMI then TV to AVR using Toslink cable

so the answer is no need.  it's just a matter of one's preference.

So that:
- ALL 4K HDR sources to 4K HDR AVR using HDMI then 4K HDR AVR to 4K HDR TV using HDMI ARC

Offline Icermad

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2016 at 08:26 PM »
- PS4 Pro to 4K HDR TV using HDMI then TV to AVR using Toslink cable
- 4K HDR media player to 4K HDR TV using HDMI then TV to AVR using Toslink cable

so the answer is no need.  it's just a matter of one's preference.

So that:
- ALL 4K HDR sources to 4K HDR AVR using HDMI then 4K HDR AVR to 4K HDR TV using HDMI ARC

Thank you! It means I can no longer use HDMI for audio right? And If I want to use hdmi for audio going to the receiver, I have no choice but to upgrade my receicer?

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2016 at 09:07 PM »
Thank you! It means I can no longer use HDMI for audio right? And If I want to use hdmi for audio going to the receiver, I have no choice but to upgrade my receicer?
ito rin issue ko ngayon eh. :(

Offline Icermad

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2016 at 09:14 PM »

Hassle! Hahaha

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2016 at 04:14 PM »

Hassle! Hahaha

sirs, why do you find them an issue and hassle?

some questions you need yourselves answered:
- are you also upgrading to ATMOS/DTS:X?
    because if not, even if your AVR's:
     - in 7.1 (or 7.2) and can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA, I believe it's 4K pass-thru but may not be HDR-capable
     - a bit lower in spec and can only process 5.1 audio and may be only 4K pass-thru, it's still good for gaming purposes
     - old and no 4K and process 5.1 audio, it is still good for gaming purposes
- are there games in PS4 Pro in 7-channel audio?

4K and HDR are for video, so just connect you game console direct to your TV via HDMI then TOSLINK from TV to AVR.

I think PS4 Pro also has a S/PDIF out, so alternately, connect a Toslink cable from PS4 Pro to your AVR.

mas mahal kasi 4K HDR na AVR.  AVR's pass-thru lang naman or possibly a little bit of enhanced video quality ang maibigay going to TV (kung mid-end/top-end models). 

oh well, magpa-pasko na... so treat yourselves with a pat on the back and a box of new AVR!!!  =))

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2016 at 06:56 AM »
Actually, yes. If your AVR's HDMI is not HDCP2.2 compliant, you'll have issues with displaying 4k HDR content. It's got to do more about copy protection than visual or sound fidelity.

Case in point is my AVR, it's hdmi in/out is not HDCP2.2 compliant. My Xbox One S can't output 4k hdr so I had to plug it directly to the tv then just use my TV's arc hdmi to output from TV to receiver.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2016 at 07:01 AM by leomarley »

Offline Icermad

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 12:56 AM »
sirs, why do you find them an issue and hassle?

some questions you need yourselves answered:
- are you also upgrading to ATMOS/DTS:X?
    because if not, even if your AVR's:
     - in 7.1 (or 7.2) and can decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDMA, I believe it's 4K pass-thru but may not be HDR-capable
     - a bit lower in spec and can only process 5.1 audio and may be only 4K pass-thru, it's still good for gaming purposes
     - old and no 4K and process 5.1 audio, it is still good for gaming purposes
- are there games in PS4 Pro in 7-channel audio?

4K and HDR are for video, so just connect you game console direct to your TV via HDMI then TOSLINK from TV to AVR.

I think PS4 Pro also has a S/PDIF out, so alternately, connect a Toslink cable from PS4 Pro to your AVR.

mas mahal kasi 4K HDR na AVR.  AVR's pass-thru lang naman or possibly a little bit of enhanced video quality ang maibigay going to TV (kung mid-end/top-end models). 

oh well, magpa-pasko na... so treat yourselves with a pat on the back and a box of new AVR!!!  =))

Hassle lang kasi I have to upgrade my TV and Receiver :) But siguro will just see muna if I'll miss a lot kung I won't go for the HDR capable TV and Receiver..since naka 4k receiver and TV narin naman ako.. or siguro tv muna then direct ko muna saksak then toslink

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 06:36 AM »

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM »

Hassle lang kasi I have to upgrade my TV and Receiver :) But siguro will just see muna if I'll miss a lot kung I won't go for the HDR capable TV and Receiver..since naka 4k receiver and TV narin naman ako.. or siguro tv muna then direct ko muna saksak then toslink

yes sir, the right direction is upgrade to 4K HDR TV first.  your PS4 Pro and HDR TV will be connected directly and any video processing will be done both by the console and the TV...  ensure to use HDMI 2.0a from PS4 Pro to 4K HDR TV.  if your TV is 4K and not yet HDR, use the provided HDMI cable of PS4 Pro. then TOSLINK muna to your existing AVR...

once you have both PS4 Pro and 4K HDR TV, check with your friends sino pwede magpahiram sa iyo ng 4K HDR AVR to test if video will improve.. =))

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 11:59 AM »

wala bang ARC ang TV and Receiver mo? because if they have, no need for toslink.

Offline Icermad

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 01:11 PM »
wala bang ARC ang TV and Receiver mo? because if they have, no need for toslink.

Will have to check bro... I haven't used that before :) hehe

Offline Icermad

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 01:12 PM »
yes sir, the right direction is upgrade to 4K HDR TV first.  your PS4 Pro and HDR TV will be connected directly and any video processing will be done both by the console and the TV...  ensure to use HDMI 2.0a from PS4 Pro to 4K HDR TV.  if your TV is 4K and not yet HDR, use the provided HDMI cable of PS4 Pro. then TOSLINK muna to your existing AVR...

once you have both PS4 Pro and 4K HDR TV, check with your friends sino pwede magpahiram sa iyo ng 4K HDR AVR to test if video will improve.. =))

Yeah... baka ganun muna gawin ko..direct muna sa TV yung ps4 pro.. but let's see if budget will permit..sayang kasi if every year nagpapalit ng tv :( laki ng lugi..

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 01:28 PM »
Set-up ko sa xb1 s ko is console to 4k TV via hdmi then sound output is tv to avr via hdmi arc.

Offline Icermad

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 01:32 PM »
Set-up ko sa xb1 s ko is console to 4k TV via hdmi then sound output is tv to avr via hdmi arc.

Ok bro..will check if my tv and amp supports ARC.. It means makakatipid ako if pwede :)

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 01:35 PM »
Ok bro..will check if my tv and amp supports ARC.. It means makakatipid ako if pwede :)
If your 4ktv was made in 2014 onwards, most likely HDCP2.2 compliant yan. Check mo na lang specs ng receiver mo if HDCP2.2 compliant. If yes, ps4 pro to avr to TV na ang connection mo. If not, ps4 pro to TV hdmi, then output the audio to avr via hdmi arc.

Offline Icermad

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2016 at 02:13 PM »
If your 4ktv was made in 2014 onwards, most likely HDCP2.2 compliant yan. Check mo na lang specs ng receiver mo if HDCP2.2 compliant. If yes, ps4 pro to avr to TV na ang connection mo. If not, ps4 pro to TV hdmi, then output the audio to avr via hdmi arc.

My was bought last year lang..  kaya baka nga hdcp 2.2 compliant na :)