Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 1611 times)

Offline tebenets

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need advice
« on: Dec 07, 2016 at 07:51 PM »
I planning to replace my WD TV with a NMT. But upon hearing the cost of my laptop repair, I'm contemplating on getting a HTPC. Please help me decide:
Option 1: Apple Mac Mini (brand new or 2nd hand. Preferably with HDMI port)
Option 2: Intel NUC
Option 3: Small form factor generic pc

I plan to have my HTPC used in the living and our bedroom. As you can see, my first two options have very small form factors and light. Unlike the 3rd one which I have yet to see a case that is small.

Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-650M using Tapatalk

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2016 at 07:56 PM »
If you and your family are mac users, then mac it is. If not, Intel na lang for durability.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline tebenets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2016 at 11:08 AM »
Really, mas durable ang intel? Parang mas wiser investment ang mac. Bihira ko lang magagamit kasi and for htpc and work use.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2016 at 12:24 PM »
Really, mas durable ang intel? Parang mas wiser investment ang mac. Bihira ko lang magagamit kasi and for htpc and work use.
I meant masdurable ang Intel compared to generic.

Offline tebenets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2016 at 07:16 AM »
Oh.

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2016 at 11:29 AM »
I have an Intel NUC i5 Skylake with 16GB RAM and 250GB SSD which cost me less than 30k. A similar spec'd Mac Mini will cost you almost twice that.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2016 at 12:28 PM »

That depends on what applications you use. The newest Mac Mini is 3 generations old from a hardware perspective, so it lacks the most recent features.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2016 at 01:21 PM »
Magandang question din yan. What application will be used to play movies.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2016 at 03:12 PM »
Magandang question din yan. What application will be used to play movies.

After stopping production, Apple supports devices for at least 5 years with service parts. The Late 2014 model is still being sold, so I guess it is still worth at least 5 years more before Apple deems the hardware obsolete.

Apple provides security updates to each OS version for a span of just 3 years (that means an OS upgrade is required within that period if you want to keep your system secure). Fortunately the Late 2014 Mac Mini is almost guaranteed for upgrades for at least 2 years more (to complete the 5 year support period), though it's likely to get it for a year or two longer than that.

Microsoft provides extended support for their operating systems for at least 10 years. This is why Vista is still supported and updated (until next year). Windows 7/8/8.1 users have the same 10 year window, but those who availed of the free Windows 10 upgrade will get guaranteed support until 2026 (that is 17 years of support for original Windows 7 users).

This is a huge reason why Microsoft is the dominant OS supplier for business computers. Despite its poor security image (since most exploits target the most popular OS), Microsoft has been among the most diligent in patching vulnerabilities. By providing a long support window, large organizations are not pressured to continuously upgrade and this allows for less fragmentation within the organization (same OS can be ran across different generation machines, making software validation and maintenance so much easier).

I prefer Windows because it gives me hardware flexibility (not a locked-in ecosystem) and it remains fairly secure software-wise until the death of the hardware (most computers don't last 10 years). Windows 10 is officially backwards compatible with processors dating back to 1999 (and some are able to squeeze even older machines to run on it); that is theoretically leasing those machines secure life of 27 years. Apple makes pretty durable hardware, but my opinion is that they go to waste after the support period (granted this doesn't affect most of its target users).
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2016 at 03:45 PM by Stagea »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2016 at 05:30 PM »
I think yan din ang reason why custom software makers for different offices, business and manufacturing firms prefer windows over the other because of its 10 year support window.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2016 at 12:02 AM »
I think yan din ang reason why custom software makers for different offices, business and manufacturing firms prefer windows over the other because of its 10 year support window.
Yes. Most of those applications will cost companies more to maintain if they try to follow the 3-year cadence.