Author Topic: Affordable android TV box  (Read 13037 times)

Online Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Re: Affordable android TV box
« Reply #60 on: Jul 17, 2018 at 03:46 PM »
is amazon fire tv good? naka sale kasi ngayon, $35 + 3 = $38 on prime day. just bought one today, hopefully usable dito sa pinas.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2018 at 06:05 PM by Weng! »

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #61 on: Jul 17, 2018 at 07:56 PM »
is amazon fire tv good? naka sale kasi ngayon, $35 + 3 = $38 on prime day. just bought one today, hopefully usable dito sa pinas.

Yep. You can sideload it with kodi and Terrarium TV.

Offline shoestrings.v2

• Collector
  • My previous account was Shoestrings. Thanks
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #62 on: Jul 27, 2018 at 09:13 AM »

Also got an Amazon Firestick last prime day for $19. The reason why I bought is mainly for Directv now streaming.
So far i'm enjoying it since i was able to install almost everything.
i created a new Amazon US account just for the firestick. So far everything works very well with my smartDNS service.
i'm loving the prime video with the Firestick compared to the prime video app included with my nvidia shield.
I suggest sideloading Smart Youtube TV since the original youtube app was removed from fire tv. You can also sign in using your google account.
I'm also enjoying the new Hulu app that supports profile and new Crackle interface its better compared to the ones from my nvidia shield and mibox .  ;D

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 27, 2018 at 10:08 AM »
Also got an Amazon Firestick last prime day for $19. The reason why I bought is mainly for Directv now streaming.
So far i'm enjoying it since i was able to install almost everything.
i created a new Amazon US account just for the firestick. So far everything works very well with my smartDNS service.
i'm loving the prime video with the Firestick compared to the prime video app included with my nvidia shield.
I suggest sideloading Smart Youtube TV since the original youtube app was removed from fire tv. You can also sign in using your google account.
I'm also enjoying the new Hulu app that supports profile and new Crackle interface its better compared to the ones from my nvidia shield and mibox .  ;D

One thing I discovered that I don't like about the Fire Stick is that if you are disconnected from the internet all your Home apps will be unavailable. So if you're using Kodi to stream movies from your NAS you're out of luck until you get your internet back up.

There's a pseudo-app for Youtube on the Amazon store. It does nothing more than to link to Youtube either via Silk or Firefox browser depending on what you have installed. This is what I'm using and it works fine.

Offline shoestrings.v2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jul 27, 2018 at 11:24 AM »
One thing I discovered that I don't like about the Fire Stick is that if you are disconnected from the internet all your Home apps will be unavailable. So if you're using Kodi to stream movies from your NAS you're out of luck until you get your internet back up.

There's a pseudo-app for Youtube on the Amazon store. It does nothing more than to link to Youtube either via Silk or Firefox browser depending on what you have installed. This is what I'm using and it works fine.

Actually there's a work around if the home launcher is disabled because of no internet.  If you have the firetv remote app installed on your phone you can launch your apps directly from there.
Second work around is to press and hold home button on your remote then go to settings then go to manage installed applications then select the app you like then just launch the application.
I was able to load plex and stream a video from my local network with no internet at all (You need to disable Plex Authentication under settings on your Local Network).
Also run FX file explorer and stream videos over local network via SMB.

Yup, I was able to try the pseudo youtube app. But I wasn't satisfied because it plays back 60fps videos only at 720p/30fps. 
Smart Youtube TV can play it back better at 1080p/60fps.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2018 at 11:25 AM by shoestrings.v2 »

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jul 27, 2018 at 12:54 PM »
 ^Thanks for the tip! :)

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #66 on: Jul 29, 2018 at 07:39 AM »
FIRESTICK works fine w/ me coz of less-clutter (I just bought a short USB cable so I would just directly plugged it in the TVs USB port for power)

As for the movie watching I just use TERRANIUM TV & for ordinary U.S. channels like News, HBOs & many more, MOBDRO
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #67 on: Aug 28, 2018 at 05:18 PM »
Another box with officially licenced Android TV OS!

https://youtu.be/NeChRFU6lQw

Offline shoestrings.v2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Aug 29, 2018 at 05:58 AM »
Another box with officially licenced Android TV OS!

https://youtu.be/NeChRFU6lQw
The Mecool M8s Pro W and Mecool M8s Pro L are both ruuning Androidtv OS with widevine level1 DRM(same as the mibox) but doesnt have builtin chromecast capability. They're more of an unofficial Android tv OS boxes.
They have a newer box the MECOOL KM8 Google Certified Android TV Box https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009661407602.html
Chromecast builtin function is already working but the official netflix app is currently not working. They said that they're working to have the box certified by netflix in the coming months. 

Offline rs08900

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #69 on: Aug 30, 2018 at 03:59 PM »
mga sir patulong naman. ano bang pwede iregalo na tv box para sa mga magulang ko?

bale naisip ko na tv box ay yung may usb port para kabitan ng hdd ng mga favorite movies nila tapos sana madali nila maioperate using remote lang. ayos na ba mx10 or masyadong advanced para sa mga 60s na?

salamat in advance

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDA using Tapatalk

Offline shoestrings.v2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Aug 30, 2018 at 05:40 PM »
mga sir patulong naman. ano bang pwede iregalo na tv box para sa mga magulang ko?

bale naisip ko na tv box ay yung may usb port para kabitan ng hdd ng mga favorite movies nila tapos sana madali nila maioperate using remote lang. ayos na ba mx10 or masyadong advanced para sa mga 60s na?

salamat in advance

Android tv OS and subok na since you can mainly navigate it using a remote.
almost all or most of the apps are remotely friendly.
1. Xiaomi Mibox (MDZ-16-AB)
2. Mecool M8s Pro W
For movie playback via USB you can install Archos video player or VLC or you can even setup kodi.

Offline rs08900

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Aug 31, 2018 at 08:39 AM »
Android tv OS and subok na since you can mainly navigate it using a remote.
almost all or most of the apps are remotely friendly.
1. Xiaomi Mibox (MDZ-16-AB)
2. Mecool M8s Pro W
For movie playback via USB you can install Archos video player or VLC or you can even setup kodi.
salamat sa suggestions shoestrings. pricewise mas pasok yung mecool kaso nung nagtingin ako online limited warranty lang ang nakikita ko. san ka naka-iskor ng mecool unit mo?

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #72 on: Aug 31, 2018 at 01:28 PM »

salamat in advance

eh kung new TV nlang sir.. the one with a USB movie function? =))  simpler and no additional remote or gadget to plug in to a socket =))

Offline Kier

• Collector
  • Liked:
Affordable android TV box
« Reply #73 on: Aug 31, 2018 at 02:07 PM »
May TV lang na namimili ng video format, eventually mag evolve ang format ng video files na available, mahirap na i-update firmware ng TV, mapaglipasan na ng support or firmware update.

Offline jnazareta

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #74 on: Aug 31, 2018 at 06:41 PM »
rs08900, If streaming is not a priority for them and just plain watching movies you can also try the EasyTV box. This has premium channels and can play movies via USB. You can also try the Mede8er Units that is posted in our MP as a dedicated NMT. But if Streaming is a must then your best choice would be the Mi box as it is cheap and easy to use via remote.

Offline Kier

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Aug 31, 2018 at 07:13 PM »
May movie file ako HD mp4 format x264 compression, hindi ma play sa easytv. Ntfs format ng usb stick. Parang limited lang ang kilalang file type ng easytv. Wala pa nga ako nai-play, hindi ko alam ano compatible file type.

Offline shoestrings.v2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Sep 02, 2018 at 11:28 AM »
since i love my $19 firestick so much i need it to make it last!
temps from 85c down to 45c.  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2018 at 02:15 PM by shoestrings.v2 »

Offline jgl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #77 on: Oct 23, 2018 at 01:27 PM »
Any of these boxes recommended with an ethernet port?  Not sure if the wifi in my mother's room would be sufficient.  They have 20 Mbps PLDT fiber, but her room is quite distant from the router, so wifi signal might not give good streaming output.

Offline ehome

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #78 on: Oct 23, 2018 at 06:02 PM »
Any of these boxes recommended with an ethernet port?  Not sure if the wifi in my mother's room would be sufficient.  They have 20 Mbps PLDT fiber, but her room is quite distant from the router, so wifi signal might not give good streaming output.
The Mi Box has an ethernet port. But I think it's still at 100Mbps. It shouldn't be an issue though if you're just using Netflix or Youtube

Offline uvax

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 23, 2018 at 06:27 PM »
The Mi Box has an ethernet port. But I think it's still at 100Mbps. It shouldn't be an issue though if you're just using Netflix or Youtube

The Mi Box does not have an ethernet port though you can use a usb-to-ethernet adapter to get ethernet.

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #80 on: Oct 23, 2018 at 10:24 PM »
The Mi Box does not have an ethernet port though you can use a usb-to-ethernet adapter to get ethernet.

kaso di ka na makakapagsalpak ng usb.. eto yung naging problem ko sa mibox, iisa lang ang usb port.

Offline jgl

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #81 on: Oct 24, 2018 at 07:48 AM »
Yeah, so Minix U1 lang ang cheapest option with ethernet?  Quite steep pa kasi at around 6k just for Netflix. 
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2018 at 07:51 AM by jgl »

Offline shoestrings.v2

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Oct 25, 2018 at 01:33 AM »
kaso di ka na makakapagsalpak ng usb.. eto yung naging problem ko sa mibox, iisa lang ang usb port.

you can get the ones from UGREEN. just make sure you get the USB 3.0 model its Gigabit and also have 3 additional usb ports. You should probably get max throughput of 200+mbps since its just connected to a USB 2.0 port. 

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #83 on: Oct 25, 2018 at 07:48 AM »
Yeah, so Minix U1 lang ang cheapest option with ethernet?  Quite steep pa kasi at around 6k just for Netflix. 
take note if you plan to use for netflix hd/4k, you need to get a device which have a certified android tv os like the mi box.

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #84 on: Oct 31, 2018 at 08:38 PM »
Anong marecommend niyo mini wireless keyboard? Ano po mga gamit niyo? Thanks

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger