Author Topic: Considering a Tube Amp  (Read 20323 times)

Offline balarila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Considering a Tube Amp
« Reply #60 on: Dec 25, 2016 at 10:24 PM »
in our first outing at Dusit, Tony Rodriquez made use of a sony 4 incher full ranger in a line transmission box..it was powered by my pp el34 st70 clone....playing a joe morello take 5 cut, a guy approached me and asked me, sir, nasaan po nakalagay yung subwoofer nyo? he was fooled into thinking that we had a subwoofer in the room....

Ha-ha.  Must be a well matched set-up.

I must admit: When I auditioned the Cayins, I was impressed on vocals and strings. But when I listened to full orchestral music, medyo bitin sa kapal. Can't really appreciate the timpanis.  Was thinking that, after I build my 4"FR in a FH3, there could be a powered sub in my future.  So, maybe I will not need a sub after all.  We'll see.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #61 on: Dec 26, 2016 at 02:09 AM »
Those 4" full range drivers are very sweet in the mids. Kaya lang if you have a "kinda" loud listening level, it may not be for you.
in our first outing at Dusit, Tony Rodriquez made use of a sony 4 incher full ranger in a line transmission box..it was powered by my pp el34 st70 clone....playing a joe morello take 5 cut, a guy approached me and asked me, sir, nasaan po nakalagay yung subwoofer nyo? he was fooled into thinking that we had a subwoofer in the room....

I was also there. But my point is loud and not low. However that was a good pair. It has also undergone so many many variations as per enclosure. I'm sure Ding would enjoy that.  ;D He can experiment on multiple drivers, arrays etc. That would keep him busy for a few years. Hehe!

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7169
« Reply #62 on: Dec 26, 2016 at 08:17 AM »
well, the fact that a guy asked me where the subwoofer was told it all...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #63 on: Dec 26, 2016 at 12:16 PM »
"There is no spoon..."

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Dec 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM »
indeed......."You do not know. You believe. And so beliefs create your reality."

http://wiki.c2.com/?ThereIsNoSpoon
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2016 at 12:50 PM by tony »
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Dec 26, 2016 at 04:56 PM »
@balarila, there is another diy'er near to where you are in Cainta....
his handle is 6A3fan, i know his first name is Felix.....i sold him some
6aq5's a long time ago....
he posts in wiredstate.com....http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26025
not sure that he posts here though,
another diy'er you may want to check out.....
i have not met him but he strikes me as a nice guy......

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Dec 26, 2016 at 09:24 PM »
@balarila, there is another diy'er near to where you are in Cainta....
his handle is 6A3fan, i know his first name is Felix.....i sold him some
6aq5's a long time ago....
he posts in wiredstate.com....http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26025
not sure that he posts here though,
another diy'er you may want to check out.....
i have not met him but he strikes me as a nice guy......

Thanks, Tony.  Will consider.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Dec 26, 2016 at 09:51 PM »
Picked up a Yaqin MC-30L from Jojo's (CoolTOYZPH) shop on the way home tonight.  He offered to lend it to me; no strings at all.

Was extremely tired and was planning to just set it up tomorrow.  But could not resist.

My home theater rebuild is still in progress.  Ceiling and walls done but about 80% into floor installation.  Have not reinstalled my side reflection absorption panels and bass traps yet.  But excited boys know no restrictions, so set up the Yaqin and hooked up to my only Ok speakers: an old pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1.  Got my Fiio Hires player and cued the HD cut of the Barbra Streisand-Billy Joel duet of "New York State of Mind" then called SWMBO down to listen.

When the piano intro started we both felt...Hmmm....ok...it's nice.  Then Streisand said "Well..."  We instantly looked at each other and SWMBO exhaled a "Whoa!"

The very first word of the song, not even sung musically, was so real and with such velvet impact that we were blown away then mesmerized.  The rest of the song played and my kids walked in and my son sat on the floor and closed his eyes.  He said, "It's like they're just right there."

I then played a wide spectrum of pieces:  Indigo Girls, Benoit & McCullen, Sheeran, Clapton, Spinners, then went into some movie themes; Bon Jour (Beauty & the Beast) and even Magnificent 7.  (Reserves John Williams for tomorrow)  Even did some EDMs then went into some Bach organ baroque.

It was pure, unadulterated pleasure.  Like an adolescent taken by a favorite uncle into a whorehouse.  Except ecstatically wholesome.

And my room was not even acoustically set up yet.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 06:50 AM »
And my room was not even acoustically set up yet.

Tony Rodriquez is your man for that....

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #69 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 09:06 AM »
Ding ,congrats game over na, ok na yan. I suggest you get that. Stop the audition process na hahaha.sa akin kasi once napakinggan mo na gusto mo that's it na. Wala naman talaga pangit, meron mas maganda lang pero konti na lang difference. Minsan mas nakakagulo lang sa process at sa huli baka wala ka na mapili. Keep it simple.

Btw baliktad treatment ng audio sa ht ha, pero most ht treated rooms ko happy din naman mga clients pag dating sa audio side kahit ang naging priority ko is the ht talaga.

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 09:20 AM »
Ding ,congrats game over na, ok na yan. I suggest you get that. Stop the audition process na hahaha.sa akin kasi once napakinggan mo na gusto mo that's it na. Wala naman talaga pangit, meron mas maganda lang pero konti na lang difference. Minsan mas nakakagulo lang sa process at sa huli baka wala ka na mapili. Keep it simple.

Btw baliktad treatment ng audio sa ht ha, pero most ht treated rooms ko happy din naman mga clients pag dating sa audio side kahit ang naging priority ko is the ht talaga.

Oops.  What do you mean baligtad?  I plan to put use my HT also as my listening room.  So far, I have first reflection points covered on side walls and ceiling.  I also have bass traps at the rear wall.  They are, of course, not installed right now as I had repainted the walls.  What should I do differently?  Or is this a huge topic?

Rebuild in progress

Auditioning Jojo's Yaqin

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 09:31 AM »
Tony Rodriquez is your man for that....

Thanks for the tip.  But I already have another expert who helped me out in my HT setup:  Ricky Ongkeko.

When I built my HT, it was a concrete box with Bose Acoustimass speakers, a white cloth for a screen, and an old Infocus projector.  Horrible.  An echo chamber with grainy video.

With lots of advice from Ricky, I now have a huge, proper screen, sound absorption panels, and Epson projector, and SVS speakers.  Lots of happy family hours there.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #72 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 11:41 AM »
Sir Ding, I am glad you are enjoying the experience.
Please do try switching from ultralinear & triode mode to determine what type of AMP will suit your music preference.
The switch is on the left of the front panel.

Where is the Love? BEP

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 11:47 AM »
Jojo switchable sya? Wow ok na talaga yan.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 11:50 AM »
Ding, audio live front-dead back   :  ht dead front - live back
Audio gusto mo wide soundstage, ht gusto mo pinpoint dialogues. Pero depende pa din sa preference ng listener. Kung na enjoy mo na sa room mo ok na, mapapansin mo difference once you put the treatment back in place

Thank you for appreciating my help :)

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #75 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM »
Yes switchable.  "MC-30L is a 100% Class A push-pull, Integrated Tube Amplifier, based on famous EL-34B and with 6J1 as drivers and for voltage amplification what can be operated either in triode of in ultra-linear mode. It features digital channel indication, infrared remote control, front panel headphone output and external bias adjustment system".

I upgrade the EL34 tube to PSVANE and 4(2Lx2R) 6J1 toMullard 5654.
Jojo switchable sya? Wow ok na talaga yan.
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline geriboy

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #76 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM »
Yes switchable.  "MC-30L is a 100% Class A push-pull, Integrated Tube Amplifier, based on famous EL-34B and with 6J1 as drivers and for voltage amplification what can be operated either in triode of in ultra-linear mode. It features digital channel indication, infrared remote control, front panel headphone output and external bias adjustment system".

I upgrade the EL34 tube to PSVANE and 4(2Lx2R) 6J1 toMullard 5654.

Nice :D triode mode, meaning single ended triode?good rin na upgraded na rin ang tubes ng unit
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016 at 12:41 PM by geriboy »

Offline geriboy

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #77 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 12:48 PM »

At least with the yaqin amp, pwede mamili whether triode or ultralinear mode depende sa speakers at preference ng makikinig :D
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016 at 12:53 PM by geriboy »

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:22 PM »
Parang ako yata makukulam ah

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  But I already have another expert who helped me out in my HT setup:  Ricky Ongkeko.

When I built my HT, it was a concrete box with Bose Acoustimass speakers, a white cloth for a screen, and an old Infocus projector.  Horrible.  An echo chamber with grainy video.

With lots of advice from Ricky, I now have a huge, proper screen, sound absorption panels, and Epson projector, and SVS speakers.  Lots of happy family hours there.

apologies to Ricky, i never realised he was into those till now....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:28 PM »
ultralinear is mimicking a triode on a pentode efficiency, meaning more power, local negative feedback happens at the screens, this decreases the plate resistance of the pentode....

and a triode mode is a triode.....needed higher driver voltage swing, and produces less power...

but many knows this already....

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:41 PM »
Nampusa.  Are you guys talking in English?

Napabili tuloy ako ng Kindle book: Vacuum Tube Amplifier Basics.

This is embarassing. I am a physicist but ignorant on vacuum tubes.

Medyo busy with work these next few days.  Will reinstall my room treatments on Friday then listen to all sorts of music and different modes.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:42 PM »
apologies to Ricky, i never realised he was into those till now....

No problem kuya tony. Yes full time minsan pag wala masyado gawa sa planta.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:44 PM »
Ok lang yan ding, ako nga license chemical engineer doing room treatments, kung ano talaga interests mo doon ka hahaha

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:47 PM »
Nampusa.  Are you guys talking in English?

Napabili tuloy ako ng Kindle book: Vacuum Tube Amplifier Basics.

This is embarassing. I am a physicist but ignorant on vacuum tubes.

Medyo busy with work these next few days.  Will reinstall my room treatments on Friday then listen to all sorts of music and different modes.

no need to get embarrassed, as a physicist, i am sure mamaniin mo lang ang mga maths about tube physics, a good thing so that no one is able to pull your leg....not even me.... >:D

you nay also want to read up on Morgan Jones' Valve amps....https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Amplifiers-Fourth-Morgan-Jones/dp/0080966403
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:49 PM by tony »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #85 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:48 PM »
Ok lang yan ding, ako nga license chemical engineer doing room treatments, kung ano talaga interests mo doon ka hahaha
Haha! Tama! Important is you put your heart and mind into it. Be open to new ideas, scrutinize them, prove their efficiency or value. And best of all, learn to follow the preference of your client. Hehe!

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:57 PM »
you nay also want to read up on Morgan Jones' Valve amps....https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Amplifiers-Fourth-Morgan-Jones/dp/0080966403

Saw that, too.  Will try muna yung murang libro.  :)

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 01:58 PM »
Ding, audio live front-dead back   :  ht dead front - live back
Audio gusto mo wide soundstage, ht gusto mo pinpoint dialogues. Pero depende pa din sa preference ng listener. Kung na enjoy mo na sa room mo ok na, mapapansin mo difference once you put the treatment back in place

Thank you for appreciating my help :)

Now, that's a conundrum.

Dapat pala my sound absorption panels have a swivel:  rockwool on one side and quadratic diffuser on the other.

I could also put a quadratic diffuser behind the screen so, when I listen to music, I will just retract the screen.

But those are big projects for now.

Online ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #88 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 02:35 PM »
Sir ding I have a tubelab SSE power amp, it could accept kt88, el34, 6550 variants of tubes

http://tubelab.com/designs/tubelab-sse/

It is not for sale but could be heard, I am near Unciano Hospital. I will be back home 1st week of January.

I remember we exchanged pms before re woodworking.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016 at 03:08 PM by ndotcom »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #89 on: Dec 27, 2016 at 08:34 PM »

I think I have one, gift ni Rony sa akin many moons ago. It's a very nice book with lots of modern approach to a rather old technology. Although it's something more applicable to would be tube builders rather than users.

Yun RCA Receiving Tube Manual diba may online copy? Yun na lang basahin mo Ding, kadali pa intindihin kahit baguhan.