Author Topic: Wharfdale Diamond 220 for TV?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline loowees07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wharfdale Diamond 220 for TV?
« on: Dec 24, 2016 at 08:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just bought my Wharfdale Diamond 220s for xmas mainly for my turntable (rega rp1), with a tube amp as my phono + amp.

Just wanted to ask if it's safe to use the speakers for TV as well? (safe meaning, will it cause some damage as opposed to using it purely for sound?)
I'm not quite sure how hi-fi speakers should be used, but I'm positive it's mainly used for music. What about for TV/movies (or even video games?)

I plan to use a separate amp (https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-120-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00HFG3FYA) to power the speakers from the TV since I have it just lying around.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Wharfdale Diamond 220 for TV?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2016 at 08:39 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just bought my Wharfdale Diamond 220s for xmas mainly for my turntable (rega rp1), with a tube amp as my phono + amp.

Just wanted to ask if it's safe to use the speakers for TV as well? (safe meaning, will it cause some damage as opposed to using it purely for sound?)
I'm not quite sure how hi-fi speakers should be used, but I'm positive it's mainly used for music. What about for TV/movies (or even video games?)

I plan to use a separate amp (https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-120-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00HFG3FYA) to power the speakers from the TV since I have it just lying around.
Most issues that we have naman with regards to using "hi-fi" speakers for anything but music is, sayang yun hi-fi speakers if you can afford cheaper speakers naman. Kung baga kasi, the more we use the speakers regardless of source (music, tv, movies, videoke), the more we add up to wear and tear. To others, ayos lang naman rather than having too many gears cluttering around. Your system naman won't know whether it's from TV or CD player as long as it produces sound waves. Hence it would really be up to you if okay lang din sa iyo to use your system sa tv.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline loowees07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2016 at 01:31 AM »
Most issues that we have naman with regards to using "hi-fi" speakers for anything but music is, sayang yun hi-fi speakers if you can afford cheaper speakers naman. Kung baga kasi, the more we use the speakers regardless of source (music, tv, movies, videoke), the more we add up to wear and tear. To others, ayos lang naman rather than having too many gears cluttering around. Your system naman won't know whether it's from TV or CD player as long as it produces sound waves. Hence it would really be up to you if okay lang din sa iyo to use your system sa tv.

Thanks sir. :) I wasn't sure kasi if using Hi-Fi speakers for anything other than music would cause greater wear and tear. This might be a stupid question, but I wanted to be safe than sorry. Haha! Maraming salamat.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM »
Thanks sir. :) I wasn't sure kasi if using Hi-Fi speakers for anything other than music would cause greater wear and tear. This might be a stupid question, but I wanted to be safe than sorry. Haha! Maraming salamat.
It's okay sir and that is not a stupid question. I also asked myself that question when I started this hobby. If you really want to avoid greater wear and tear, avoid very high volumes to the point where your speakers will clip.