Author Topic: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS  (Read 138946 times)

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
I had been on the sitting fence with Android TV boxes in the last few months of 2016.  After my first-generation Chromecast died on me (it stopped working after 6 months of use) and my Amazon Fire TV stick was misplaced from one of my trips, I’ve wanted to get a new streaming device, and this time try something else for Kodi use (one of my foremost requirements, not really for gaming). Similarly small/handy or similarly portable enough to be easily slipped into my bag when on-the-go moments arise. For now, Nvidia Shield (arguably touted as the best Android TV device by many) does not belong to this equation because of the size consideration and an obvious overkill for someone like me who isn’t much into gaming anymore.

With the now-ubiquitous generic Chinese-made Android TV boxes I looked at, I am amazed at the upgraded functionality with the features and hardware they come equipped with. The ones I had demoed come with either a Rockchip or Amlogic SOC, pre-installed with Kodi and pre-configured with a plethora of addons which seemed like a gazillion to me. Other boxes come pre-rooted (I love this part because I have an occasional itch to tinker, but these days it is not that important to me).  They also come, among others, with not just one (1) but three (3)  USB ports, a dedicated microSD slot, an optical audio out, a gigabit ethernet port, a flashy clock panel, Bluetooth 4.0 and WiFi 802.11AC operating at 2.4gHz/5gHz. Wow, talk about hardware packed in such a small box! They are also very budget-friendly.

So what’s not to like?

Several, actually. These TV boxes leave so much to be desired. The most common gripe as far as my experience is concerned: unstable UI. I had seen frequent screen lock-ups, apps suddenly crashing without rhyme or reason, and simply navigating the uninvolving homescreen either results in random freezing or rebooting. Plus, the included remote control is “lazy” enough that it will only respond after a 2 or 3-second lag to execute a command. Worse, a remote control key (which behaves like it has a mind of its own) yields a command I didn’t  intend to execute.  There are boxes, too, which don’t remember display settings after a reboot and have trouble with HDMI CEC handshake. Whoaa! I am not happy with that. I won’t put up with a new device that comes pregnant with so many issues to begin with.

The MB3 box with "MI" logo

Small enough to fit in one's hand

The Mi Box 3 (International Edition) changed the aforementioned bad impressions that I had experienced.  Alright, it is “Made In China”  but unlike the other TV boxes churned out from some Shenzen or Guangdong factory. It is a product made by Xiaomi, currently the world’s 4th largest smartphone and consumer electronics company. Compared with the other TV boxes I tested, the MB3 is the smoothest (the screen transition/animation is really eye-candy) and the most stable by far.  This 4k-capable MB3 runs on Android v6.0.1 with a Google TV UI, not the so-called hybrid smartphone UI.

Specs on the back of the MB3's box

What's inside the box

Type C plug (no adaptor included)

HDMI cable

A very responsive bluetooth voice remote (AAA batteries not included)

Out of the box, the MB3 works as intended. Easy to setup with default English language. No pre-installed bloat, just the basic Google services, Google Play, and YouTube.  Of course, there is a pre-installed Netflix app and it supports full HD at 1080p and 4k video streaming, thanks to Google Widevine Level 1 DRM compliance that comes standard with the MB3 (many boxes come only with Level 3 which limits support to standard definition). WiFi 802.11AC and bluetooth connect to devices without having to try more than once. The bluetooth voice remote works flawlessly and I can use it to launch whatever installed app I want to run even if that app is not on the homescreen tiles. Installed apps can be organized by holding down the OK button, and then dragged left to right which I thought was a nifty “undocumented” trick. I installed Kodi directly through Google Play, then I downloaded and configured a selection of addons (I don’t need a gazillion) and has never crashed so far while streaming. I connected a 5tb hard drive via the USB port and the MB3 browsed through my 600+ video files effortlessly. The only time Kodi froze  without crashing was during the instance I tried to browse the contents of a wirelessly connected hard drive that I thought was still on but was already turned off  (oops, it was my fault).  While I prefer an ethernet connection over wireless, I have no issue with streaming via WiFi 802.11AC, which is performing solidly.

For initial testing with offline 4k playback, my Mad Max Fury Road video file encoded in H.265, 10-Bit at 60fps played without a hitch using Kodi. Although I would love to see some other “demanding” 4k files I can get my hands on to try and evaluate not only with Kodi but also with SPMC and MX Player (both available from Google Play).

Rubberized rim (underside)

The MB3's backside with ports (no MicroSD slot)

Sideview with tapered edges

User guide printed in English language

Small enough that it fits nicely between my desktop PC monitor's oddly-shaped stand, as if docking right smack into it

The default UI language is English but the initial setup allows the user to select from multiple language options

Homescreen shows "Recommendations" from various sources when internet is connected (and what is shown onscreen will constantly change)

Google Play is pre-installed out of the box

Running a very stable Kodi v16.1 installed via Google Play

If you're  more than a casual user who is planning to install Kodi directly from Google Play, you'll be up and running in minutes provided you have a good internet connection. That is a given for a seamless streaming experience. As I said, it is easy to setup. Just plug in, connect to WiFi, and it's ready to go.

I will put a caveat here that I have not tested thoroughly all the other features of this device due to time and schedule, hence these first impressions. However, for my personal needs (i.e., Kodi for streaming and offline playback, Live Channels, Netflix and Spotify), the MB3 so far works perfectly stable and I would highly recommend it.

Offline supermanster

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
Re: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 04:18 PM »
Magkano po price range nyan sir?

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 04:21 PM »
Here is an objective comparison of the Mi Box 3 and Nvidia Shield TV

This is to show that there are  subtle things that people would miss seeing because of the limitation of their box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCdOfhQTsWY

Buck Bunny

at 7:50 minutes to 9:00 minutes

The Mi box skipped a whole scene just to play things smoothly and begins to play things behind the Nvidia Shield TV

Another video the 4k Jellyfish video

Both video started  at 9:19 minutes

Nvidia Shield TV finished at  9:57

Mi Box  Finished at  10:12

I am not sure if how will it impact watching a 4k high bit video if its going to take longer watching the same movie with the Mi box than NSATV.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017 at 04:23 PM by DPT »

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 04:31 PM »
Magkano po price range nyan sir?

Got it for SGD$90 (roughly equivalent to P3100)

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 04:33 PM »
I am not sure if how will it impact watching a 4k high bit video if its going to take longer watching the same movie with the Mi box than NSATV.

I didn't have any problem playing my Mad Max Fury Road 4k video file encoded in H.265, 10-Bit at 60fps.

Besides, I did NOT buy this thing so I would simply watch some mindless Buck Bunny and jellyfish video on a loop. Hahaha! Hey, I watch real, full-length movies!

As for comparing MB3 with Nvidia Shield? Stop comparing an apple from an orange. The Shield belongs to a different league that's why it's touted the best (and if you really knew that beforehand, you could have appeared as someone less gullible). I know better because I own the gadget. Apparently, you don't and it looks like you didn't comprehend what I posted for my first impressions.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017 at 05:20 PM by traveler69 »

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 06:07 PM »
I had been on the sitting fence with Android TV boxes in the last few months of 2016.  After my first-generation Chromecast died on me (it stopped working after 6 months of use) and my Amazon Fire TV stick was misplaced from one of my trips, I’ve wanted to get a new streaming device, and this time try something else for Kodi use (one of my foremost requirements, not really for gaming). Similarly small/handy or similarly portable enough to be easily slipped into my bag when on-the-go moments arise. For now, Nvidia Shield (arguably touted as the best Android TV device by many) does not belong to this equation because of the size consideration and an obvious overkill for someone like me who isn’t much into gaming anymore.

With the now-ubiquitous generic Chinese-made Android TV boxes I looked at, I am amazed at the upgraded functionality with the features and hardware they come equipped with. The ones I had demoed come with either a Rockchip or Amlogic SOC, pre-installed with Kodi and pre-configured with a plethora of addons which seemed like a gazillion to me. Other boxes come pre-rooted (I love this part because I have an occasional itch to tinker, but these days it is not that important to me).  They also come, among others, with not just one (1) but three (3)  USB ports, a dedicated microSD slot, an optical audio out, a gigabit ethernet port, a flashy clock panel, Bluetooth 4.0 and WiFi 802.11AC operating at 2.4gHz/5gHz. Wow, talk about hardware packed in such a small box! They are also very budget-friendly.

So what’s not to like?

Several, actually. These TV boxes leave so much to be desired. The most common gripe as far as my experience is concerned: unstable UI. I had seen frequent screen lock-ups, apps suddenly crashing without rhyme or reason, and simply navigating the uninvolving homescreen either results in random freezing or rebooting. Plus, the included remote control is “lazy” enough that it will only respond after a 2 or 3-second lag to execute a command. Worse, a remote control key (which behaves like it has a mind of its own) yields a command I didn’t  intend to execute.  There are boxes, too, which don’t remember display settings after a reboot and have trouble with HDMI CEC handshake. Whoaa! I am not happy with that. I won’t put up with a new device that comes pregnant with so many issues to begin with.

The MB3 box with "MI" logo

Small enough to fit in one's hand

The Mi Box 3 (International Edition) changed the aforementioned bad impressions that I had experienced.  Alright, it is “Made In China”  but unlike the other TV boxes churned out from some Shenzen or Guangdong factory. It is a product made by Xiaomi, currently the world’s 4th largest smartphone and consumer electronics company. Compared with the other TV boxes I tested, the MB3 is the smoothest (the screen transition/animation is really eye-candy) and the most stable by far.  This 4k-capable MB3 runs on Android v6.0.1 with a Google TV UI, not the so-called hybrid smartphone UI.

Specs on the back of the MB3's box

What's inside the box

Type C plug (no adaptor included)

HDMI cable

A very responsive bluetooth voice remote (AAA batteries not included)

Out of the box, the MB3 works as intended. Easy to setup with default English language. No pre-installed bloat, just the basic Google services, Google Play, and YouTube.  Of course, there is a pre-installed Netflix app and it supports full HD at 1080p and 4k video streaming, thanks to Google Widevine Level 1 DRM compliance that comes standard with the MB3 (many boxes come only with Level 3 which limits support to standard definition). WiFi 802.11AC and bluetooth connect to devices without having to try more than once. The bluetooth voice remote works flawlessly and I can use it to launch whatever installed app I want to run even if that app is not on the homescreen tiles. Installed apps can be organized by holding down the OK button, and then dragged left to right which I thought was a nifty “undocumented” trick. I installed Kodi directly through Google Play, then I downloaded and configured a selection of addons (I don’t need a gazillion) and has never crashed so far while streaming. I connected a 5tb hard drive via the USB port and the MB3 browsed through my 600+ video files effortlessly. The only time Kodi froze  without crashing was during the instance I tried to browse the contents of a wirelessly connected hard drive that I thought was still on but was already turned off  (oops, it was my fault).  While I prefer an ethernet connection over wireless, I have no issue with streaming via WiFi 802.11AC, which is performing solidly.

For initial testing with offline 4k playback, my Mad Max Fury Road video file encoded in H.265, 10-Bit at 60fps played without a hitch using Kodi. Although I would love to see some other “demanding” 4k files I can get my hands on to try and evaluate not only with Kodi but also with SPMC and MX Player (both available from Google Play).

Rubberized rim (underside)

The MB3's backside with ports (no MicroSD slot)

Sideview with tapered edges

User guide printed in English language

Small enough that it fits nicely between my desktop PC monitor's oddly-shaped stand, as if docking right smack into it

The default UI language is English but the initial setup allows the user to select from multiple language options

Homescreen shows "Recommendations" from various sources when internet is connected (and what is shown onscreen will constantly change)

Google Play is pre-installed out of the box

Running a very stable Kodi v16.1 installed via Google Play

If you're  more than a casual user who is planning to install Kodi directly from Google Play, you'll be up and running in minutes provided you have a good internet connection. That is a given for a seamless streaming experience. As I said, it is easy to setup. Just plug in, connect to WiFi, and it's ready to go.

I will put a caveat here that I have not tested thoroughly all the other features of this device due to time and schedule, hence these first impressions. However, for my personal needs (i.e., Kodi for streaming and offline playback, Live Channels, Netflix and Spotify), the MB3 so far works perfectly stable and I would highly recommend it.

wow nice review sir. :)
does it lags in Kodi btw?

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 06:08 PM »
isa pa pala, ganda ng shots mo ha, really like the pictures you posted. :)

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 06:35 PM »
I didn't have any problem playing my Mad Max Fury Road 4k video file encoded in H.265, 10-Bit at 60fps.

Besides, I did NOT buy this thing so I would simply watch some mindless Buck Bunny and jellyfish video on a loop. Hahaha! Hey, I watch real, full-length movies!

As for comparing MB3 with Nvidia Shield? Stop comparing an apple from an orange. The Shield belongs to a different league that's why it's touted the best (and if you really knew that beforehand, you could have appeared as someone less gullible). I know better because I own the gadget. Apparently, you don't and it looks like you didn't comprehend what I posted for my first impressions.

It could be any box other than the shield. It was just  that the author of the video used the Nvidia shield to highlight the flaws of the Mi box and as a basis for comparison.

Pointing at a video that clearly shows the fact it did has nothing to do with your first impression

Regardless someone pointed it out or not. The fact remained that the MI box skips.

Infact it is beneficial to everyone to have a unbiased opinion so that they can form their own conclusion.

Unless someone is unscrupulous  and gives out loop sided  opinion just to gain business. I do not see anything wrong with posting as clear as a video and stating facts.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 06:56 PM »
Interesting. Are there distributors locally?

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 07:21 PM »

Sent using Tapatalk

may nakita ako sa OLX nasa 3600 ang benta. Not sure kung international edition yon

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 07:48 PM »
The fact remained that the MI box skips.

Huh, "the fact remained that the MI Box skips" because some YT author said so? Gullible ka nga. Hindi mo kayang patunayan yang "fact" na yan sa sarili mo kasi wala ka namang actual gadget that you can test and evaluate. Puro ka salita!!!

You are free to post your opinion, this is a free country, anyway. But for as long as your opinion citing a "fact" has not been VALIDATED by your own experience, it will remain just an opinion made by someone without credibility. PLAIN HEARSAY.

Galingan mo na lang next time, maybe post your own gadget review so you can contribute to PDVD in a positive way, hindi yung gagamit ka ng opinion/review ng iba para lang meron kang mai-post. Para magkaroon ka rin ng credibility. Your credibility is your own problem, not mine.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:15 PM by traveler69 »

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:06 PM »
wow nice review sir. :)
does it lags in Kodi btw?

Thanks, Sir.

Using Kodi for offline playback, video files from 720p to 1080p run without a hitch. I have watched a 4k MKV movie test file, Mad Max Fury Road (H.265, 10-Bit, 60fps, 7.1CH) and it played without a problem from start to finish. Even the fast-moving scenes were flawless.

Using Kodi for streaming playback, I notice that a speedy internet connection benefits a 1080p. 4k streaming via Netflix gets some hiccups, although I think this is more of the unstable internet connection. 

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:13 PM »

Sent using Tapatalk

I am not aware of any local distributors. Although I think there are local resellers with units intended for the Chinese market (and most likely using a Chinese UI out of the box).

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:19 PM »
Huh, "the fact remained that the MI Box skips" because some YT author said so? Gullible ka nga. Hindi mo kayang patunayan yang "fact" na yan sa sarili mo kasi wala ka namang actual gadget.

You are free to post your opinion, this is a free country, anyway. But for as long as your opinion citing a "fact" has not been VALIDATED by your own experience, it will remain just an opinion without credibility. Hearsay.

Galingan mo na lang next time, maybe post your own gadget review so you can contribute to PDVD, hindi yung gagamit ka ng opinion/review ng iba para lang meron kang mai-post. Para magkaroon ka rin ng credibility. Your credibility is your own problem, not mine.

I feel you are butt hurt.   

Hearsay is something you heard from someone then retold that to someone .  If you yourself watched  video and it skips it is not hearsay.  The assumption of it being not fabricated holds unless you  present evidence on the contrary.

I posted the link  video for you to see. So how can that be hearsay?

If you are again going to say that the video is fabricated then you are world on your own.

What is there to gain fabricating skipping videos of  MI box?  If people are aware what they are exactly buying then it is a good thing. Whether good or bad. They can make informed decision based on variables.

I really do not understand why you are soo butt hurt.

You have not even played the linked  videos above in your Mi box and you are already dismissing it.

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:21 PM »
isa pa pala, ganda ng shots mo ha, really like the pictures you posted. :)

Yes, sir. A picture is worth a thousand words. The idea is to be able to convey more with visuals.

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:36 PM »
I feel you are butt hurt.   

Hearsay is something you heard from someone then retold that to someone .  If you yourself watched  video and it skips it is not hearsay.  The assumption of it being not fabricated holds unless you  present evidence on the contrary.

I posted the link  video for you to see. So how can that be hearsay?

If you are again going to say that the video is fabricated then you are world on your own.

What is there to gain fabricating skipping videos of  MI box?  If people are aware what they are exactly buying then it is a good thing. Whether good or bad. They can make informed decision based on variables.

I really do not understand why you are soo butt hurt.

You have not even played the linked  videos above in your Mi box and you are already dismissing it.

An informed decision cannot be arrived at with an opinion made by someone like you without credibility. Panes ka na, hanggang diyan ka na lang, puro salita. Walang kang actual gadget to evaluate, nga-nga.

Hindi mo talaga kayang galingan, eh. Hahaha!
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:44 PM by traveler69 »

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:37 PM »
Thanks, Sir.

Using Kodi for offline playback, video files from 720p to 1080p run without a hitch. I have watched a 4k MKV movie test file, Mad Max Fury Road (H.265, 10-Bit, 60fps, 7.1CH) and it played without a problem from start to finish. Even the fast-moving scenes were flawless.

Using Kodi for streaming playback, I notice that a speedy internet connection benefits a 1080p. 4k streaming via Netflix gets some hiccups, although I think this is more of the unstable internet connection. 
nice thank you sa info chief! ;)

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:38 PM »
Yes, sir. A picture is worth a thousand words. The idea is to be able to convey more with visuals.
agree! :)

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:43 PM »
An informed decision cannot be arrived at with an opinion made by someone like you without credibility. Panes ka na, hanggang diyan ka na lang, puro salita.

Hindi mo talaga kayang galingan, eh. Hahaha!

Are you selling this player here? If so I will leave you to do your business.  But atleast put a note that you are selling this after your review to make people aware that there will be some sort of bias.

When you make a review and people do not agree with you. DO NOT GET BUTT HURT, and accuse them of alot of things.

If you do not want people saying something you do not like. DO NOT MAKE A REVIEW.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:44 PM by DPT »

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:49 PM »

If you do not want people saying something you do not like. DO NOT MAKE A REVIEW.

Hey you, this is a democracy. You F'n do not own PDVD so you have no right to stop anyone from making a review. I will always welcome people saying something to the contrary if they have VALIDATION for something that is asserted as a fact.  Because that is the way to positively contribute to PDVD. But in your case, which is a pity, I will not drag PDVD down with a posting from someone like you without credibility.

Typical TROLL!
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2017 at 10:47 AM by traveler69 »

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 357
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 08:59 PM »
I like the form factor ......... kinda like a much smaller MED1000X.

Though, how was the feedback of the remote? How was the operating temp - does it get very hot? TIA.

N.B. This thread got hot really fast ....... peace mga brader.

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 09:09 PM »
I like the form factor ......... kinda like a much smaller MED1000X.

Though, how was the feedback of the remote? How was the operating temp - does it get very hot? TIA.

N.B. This thread got hot really fast ....... peace mga brader.

Yes, hahaha. It gets sort of hot, I mean the device. If you look closely at one of the pics I posted, there's a temperature reading of 60F (that would be around 15.5C) after having the unit running for close to 10 hours. I was running Kodi when this temp was registered.

The remote is very responsive. Fun to use. As in, you press a key and there is instant execution. Nothing of that sort where you wait 2 or 3 seconds which i experienced from other boxes I tried. Plus, Google Voice works with the remote's built-in mic.

Offline bongchillog

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 10:33 PM »
May i ask if the netflix can passthrough 5.1 audio? This a really good alternative nmt since it is certified by netflix....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2017 at 11:02 PM »
May i ask if the netflix can passthrough 5.1 audio? This a really good alternative nmt since it is certified by netflix....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not tested this functionality at the moment but I will confirm soon.

As a device certified by Netflix, this was also one of my considerations why I chose to buy this device.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2017 at 02:43 PM »
Sir pre-installed ba ang Netflix and accessible ang HD and 4K contents?
Thanks for the review :)

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2017 at 06:26 PM »
kindly test and inform us with its performance playing offline:

- 4K 10Bit HEVC BT.2020 full movie
- FHD 10Bit x264 (AVC) full movie
- BluRay .ISO  - if it could initiate its BD Menu or start with main movie
- audio pass-thru for
  - HD audio (ATMOS, DTS:X, TrueHD, DTS HD-MA, DTS 96/24)

the reason is to add to your review this MB3's prowess.  let us know.

TIA!

Offline lsm0325

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Please don't call me "Sir"..I'm a wife & mother po
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2017 at 04:25 PM »
May I ask po if it can play seamlessly BluRay.ISO movies stored in NAS, i guess it will connect via WiFi, right, given it doesn't have gigabit LAN?

Thanks
LG 55LW5000·Pioneer VSX-920K·Todoroki S-RS77TB·Wharfedale WH2·Sony PS3 320GB·Measy X6·Logitech One

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2017 at 07:44 PM »
Sir pre-installed ba ang Netflix and accessible ang HD and 4K contents?
Thanks for the review :)

Just testing mine. Yes Netflix is pre installed , Hd and 4K is accessible depended na rin sa account na subscribed . 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 01:13 PM »
From my readings, this box has the best compliance as far as Google's Android TV specifications including support for Mediacodec so that means Kodi 17 should run without any hiccups. Currently there's only a select number of Android TV boxes with Android 6 that work properly playing various large movie formats we're used to (X.264/BD ISO) and I want to see if this one is the one to get for those of us used to having large movie collections from our Popcorn/Egreat/Med8tor/Xtreamer days.

So I satisfied my curiosity by buying one.

Will let you know how it goes as I will be testing the following on it;

Kodi 17.0 Release
HD Audio Passthrough
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2017 at 03:06 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 04:55 PM »
Just as I suspected. The Xiaomi MI's firmware is indeed the best nga I've seen in terms of ability for playing demanding content because of it's better compliance with Android standards.

It has Android 6 which has HDR not available on older versions. One of the most demanding movies I have to test is Star Trek Into Darkness 4K. It's 60GB and using other TV boxes w/ Android 5.x w/ Kodi 16.1 I can NOT display it properly on my 4K TV. I see artifacts from the gradation from light to dark. Deep Color is wonderful!

I tried it on the Mi Box w/ latest firmware and Kodi 17 (straight install from Play Store) and it played it perfectly w/ no artifacts. It even informed me during playback that HDR was turned on automatically.

I'm 15 minutes into the movie, NO stutter, NO drop-out of HD Audio.

Here's the only problem though. The Mi box does NOT have built-in ethernet, only WiFi connection to your home LAN. That means I really can't stream BD ISOs and 4K ISOs via WIFI for the box to play, the bandwidth needed is just too much.

So I have to connect the HD directly to the Mi Box sole USB port in order to play back these huge fles.

Nonetheless. Props to this box. It will now be my main player sa setup ko at least until there is progress from my Wetek to release their Android 6 firmware + Kodi 17. The wetek hub is still has the edge in terms of versatility since it has a Ethernet port.

One of the other "Astig" features of Xiaomi's firmware is it fully supports searching using the microphone firmware & hardware itself so searching for content is effortless compared to using on screen keyboards or separate BT keyboard/touchpad combos.

I just press the MIC button on the remote and say whatever I like and it finds it either on Google Movies or Youtube. ASTIG!

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2017 at 10:37 AM by scifi-fan »