Author Topic: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS  (Read 138923 times)

Offline shoestrings

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #120 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 08:52 AM »
Anyone streaming movies from a NAS?  Smooth ba with wifi-AC?  Even those gigantic raw BD files?

Eto lang concern ko with the Mi Box 3, walang RJ45 port.  All my content is in my LAN NAS.

I don't have any big raw BD files.. But I tried testing playing back Samsung_UHD_7Wonders_of_the_World_Italy (4K, H265 10bit, 60fps) over the network wirelessly with no issues.
You can get this specific USB ethernet adapater with usb ports https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-1000Mbps-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network/dp/B00LLUEJFU
this works very well with the mi box.  It's available in lazada.
I spent the summer wasting
The time was passed so easily

Online paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #121 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 09:45 AM »
Thanks @shoestrings.  But isn't the USB port 2.0 only?  I believe there have been tests by scifi-fan about it?  That the USB LAN adapter should be the same chipset (Axis ax88772 according to jambam), etc.  but results still weren't satisfactory?

So the UGREEN solves it?  This is great news.  Thanks for sharing your experiences with it.

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM »
@paolorenzo Yup the port is only usb 2.0. The reason why we got the usb 3.0 version is that it supports gigabit ethernet connection. The usb 2.0 version is only pegged at 100mbps.
Unfortunately we still haven't tested it yet gigabit router. But in theory it should atleast get 480mbps transfers using the usb 2.0 port of the mi box.
Btw, the Ugreen usb ethernet is my brother's unit but I was able to play with it for a day. Still thinking if I should be buying one in the future.

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #123 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 10:36 AM »
Anyone streaming movies from a NAS?  Smooth ba with wifi-AC?  Even those gigantic raw BD files?

Eto lang concern ko with the Mi Box 3, walang RJ45 port.  All my content is in my LAN NAS.

I can stream 4K via wifi AC. BD files are ok IF you use UPnP/DLNA to share the files from the NAS. SMB as a protocol is just too slow. The only problem is you can only view the main stream and UPnP/DLNA can't share the BD menus if you have your discs ripped in ISO.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 10:39 AM »
@paolorenzo Yup the port is only usb 2.0. The reason why we got the usb 3.0 version is that it supports gigabit ethernet connection. The usb 2.0 version is only pegged at 100mbps.
Unfortunately we still haven't tested it yet gigabit router. But in theory it should atleast get 480mbps transfers using the usb 2.0 port of the mi box.
Btw, the Ugreen usb ethernet is my brother's unit but I was able to play with it for a day. Still thinking if I should be buying one in the future.

I have a Ugreen (2.0)... the problem is that it loses ethernet connectivity after you suspend the Mi Box for a long period and reverts to Wifi. However when it was working, the connection speed maxed out my connection to the internet.

Online paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 10:42 AM »
Maybe Chipset AX88179 is the better fit for the MB3 (rather than AX88772).  Luckily, I have the Unitek Y-3074A, which is also AX88772.  It has a 5V AC input as well, in case more power is needed.

Thanks again @shoestrings and @scifi-fan.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM »
Maybe Chipset AX88179 is the better fit for the MB3 (rather than AX88772).  Luckily, I have the Unitek Y-3074A, which is also AX88772.  It has a 5V AC input as well, in case more power is needed.

As soon as you confirm that the unitek doesn't lose ethernet connectivity after a long suspend, I will buy one myself. I need to put my last mi box in a room na malayo sa AC router. Medyo pricey (1,800 sa lazada) but I am willing to spend for it to finish my home setup completely cable free and begin scouting for IPTV provider

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #127 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM »
@shoestrings
@paolorenzo
@scifi-fan

Guys, thanks for the great suggestions on maximizing ethernet use with MI Box 3.

My 4k media files (H.265, 10Bit, 30fps and 60fps) stream without issues, too, via WiFi AC. However, the usefulness of ethernet and NAS is one possible way for me to future-proof this gadget as I notice that 4k and raw BD files are really huge and I wish to simplify and centralize my collection.

Offline enzo_dlc

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #128 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:21 AM »
Globe's selling this now in their stores. Got one last night for P3,800. There's an option to have it charged to your Globe Broadband bill too but it ends up being more expensive (P200 x 24 months).

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2017 at 01:25 PM by enzo_dlc »

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM »
Globe's selling this now in their stores. Got one last night for P3,800. There's an option to have it charged to your Globe Broadband bill too but it ends up being more expensive (P200 x 24 months).

Amazing news!!!! Lazada price pa!

Offline enzo_dlc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:34 AM »
Amazing news!!!! Lazada price pa!

Yup, pricing's not bad. Warranty is also likely c/o Globe since they put their seal/sticker on the box and there was a Globe warranty card inside. Standard package includes remote, power adapter, HDMI cable, AAA batteries.

If anyone wants to buy from Globe stores, you may need to insist that it's available as an over-the-counter purchase. Some store staff might be confused that it can only be bought with a broadband plan (happened to me last night). I had to call my friend who's in-charge of this Globe release to clarify with them.

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:38 AM »
Yup, pricing's not bad. Warranty is also likely c/o Globe since they put their seal/sticker on the box and there was a Globe warranty card inside. Standard package includes remote, power adapter, HDMI cable, AAA batteries.

Just wondering, did Globe pre-install anything on top of the bare essentials? Or the box comes without bloat like the typical  international edition?

Offline enzo_dlc

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:41 AM »
Just wondering, did Globe pre-install anything on top of the bare essentials? Or the box comes without bloat like the typical  international edition?

No bloatware installed; it's just your standard international edition. Netflix comes preinstalled so that's one less app that I had to download after setting up. Hahaha.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM »
No bloatware installed; it's just your standard international edition. Netflix comes preinstalled so that's one less app that I had to download after setting up. Hahaha.

For the cable cutters, my essential apps are;

Haystack
PuppetMaster TV... upon installation, enter "REKODI" repository and install all channels.

Go to Live TV channels and organize the channels. This is how I get my news fix.

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:54 AM »
That's good if Globe now distributes this box untouched like the typical international edition. Even better if backed up with warranty. The reason why I avoided getting the Walmart edition is the insane amount of pre-installed bloat and hence I opted for the international edition  (although my rebates would have allowed me to get a unit for as low as $45).
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2017 at 11:58 AM by traveler69 »

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:27 PM »
This is nice.. I might consider getting my third box at globe for 200 a month..  :)
can none globe subscribers buy too?  :

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:36 PM »
For the cable cutters, my essential apps are;

Haystack
PuppetMaster TV... upon installation, enter "REKODI" repository and install all channels.

Go to Live TV channels and organize the channels. This is how I get my news fix.

You can also add pluto tv in the list for Live TV.. but you need atleast a VPN service for US to unlock their Live channels 105 to 726..
if you dont want to pay for a vpn service you can sideload Opera VPN.. It works works well with pluto tv and I also use it for slingTV and Youtube TV.. it is sometimes even faster than my paid vpn service. :)
You can also unlock the ondemand movies section in pluto if your on a US server.. They have a nice handful movie selection, :D
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:38 PM by shoestrings »

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 12:45 PM »
Nice!

Will attempt this later. To be honest medyo nakakalula rin sobrang dami channels so I remove a lot of those that we don't even share the same language with.

And reading all the complaints sa Skycable HD regarding loss of NBA and solar, I hope people begin to realize the future IMHO is IP-based TV.

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Apr 19, 2017 at 01:00 PM »
oo kakalula na.. tapos sinabayan pa ng youtube Tv... sayang wala pa syang leanback app or sana integrate na nila sa Live TV.. hehehe

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #139 on: Apr 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM »

nice Globe!  and with warranty pa =)

hope they do find time to give further user-support, whenever needed...

@paolorenzo, get one now =))

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Apr 20, 2017 at 02:13 PM »
Looks like globe is selling the US (Wallmart) version.

Online paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Apr 20, 2017 at 02:29 PM »
@paolorenzo, get one now =))

easy...  research muna sa IPTV.  Interested ako sa post ni shoestrings about Pluto TV.  I need to find Live TV channels for the key Skycable channels on my favorites list.  Once meron na, it's time to cut the cord.

Nag inquire ako sa Fibr triple play, and Budget plan nang Cignal lang ang P199.  Mapapa mahal rin ako if I get the premium plan.  Hintay ko muna expire lock in period ko sa Fibr...

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Apr 20, 2017 at 03:07 PM »
Looks like globe is selling the US (Wallmart) version.

Good observation. That orange box is the retail box I saw on display at Walmart stores in the US.

According to @enzo_dlc, there appears to be no pre-installed bloat with his unit. Which leads me to ask: is it possible Globe simply uninstalled these apps that were meant for the US market prior to local distribution?

« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2017 at 04:41 PM by traveler69 »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #143 on: Apr 20, 2017 at 06:42 PM »
Actually the suggested apps are loaded depending on the geolocation  during initial setup.  As I tried a complete reset and reinstall,  while connected to a vpn and while on local isp.   The apps suggested for the US version appeared when I reinstalled while being connected to a vpn.  For local only Netflix appeared

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:58 AM »

Update: I got one of these from Paololorenzo and it works perfectly. I left for work this morning with the Mi Box in standby and after I got back from work to test, the ethernet was still connected after waking it from suspend.

After much reading I think I know why. This hub's chipset supports 802.3az which in a nutshell is LPI (Low Power Idle). It's kinda like sleep mode and wake on-lan capability. I think I am confident that if you get a hub that supports it, it will work properly with the Mi Box.

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Apr 21, 2017 at 01:19 PM »
@enzo_dlc
can you tell me what's the power adapter included on your mi box? does it inlcude the offers  like the $50 sling tv code since Orange box siya.

Offline gunblade977

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #146 on: Apr 21, 2017 at 02:18 PM »
was able to get one from globe center in ayala 30th, seems we were the first ones to get a unit.
Thanks for the tip @enzo_dlc.

The unit comes with a Type A power adapter and does include promo code for Sling, CBS and Vudu. Also comes with generic AAA batteries.

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Apr 21, 2017 at 03:33 PM »
was able to get one from globe center in ayala 30th, seems we were the first ones to get a unit.
Thanks for the tip @enzo_dlc.

The unit comes with a Type A power adapter and does include promo code for Sling, CBS and Vudu. Also comes with generic AAA batteries.

thanks, i'll try to check the Globe center here in SM bf if they already have the mi box in stock. :)

Offline ibalon23

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • SAPien
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #148 on: Apr 22, 2017 at 11:23 AM »
thanks, i'll try to check the Globe center here in SM bf if they already have the mi box in stock. :)

if not available at SM BF , you can try at Globe Festival Mall, I got my unit there last Wednesday.

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Apr 22, 2017 at 03:33 PM »
A useful third-party accessory with the Mi Box 3:

The occasional need of the kids (on top of having more fun with YouTube using Google Voice Search) to play some Android games which cannot be easily controlled by the stock remote prompted me to pick up this Ipega Tomahawk Bluetooth Gamepad. This gadget pairs well with the Mi Box 3. No issues, no drop-outs. The rechargeable internal lithium battery lasts about 10-12 hours of use.

By the way, this gamepad, when not paired with the Mi Box 3, can also be used to play a smartphone game by simply mounting the smartphone with its fold-away holder.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2017 at 03:48 PM by traveler69 »