Author Topic: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS  (Read 140041 times)

Offline 45caliber

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2017 at 07:18 PM »

The Unitek Y-3470 has also been tested to be fully compatible with the Mi Box 3, including wake from standby.  Para sa mga hindi comfortable sa wifi only connectivity of the Mi Box 3.

saan po available ito? thanks
Soul of Chogokin Collector
Samsung UE55KU6000/MED450S2X
Philips BDP-2500/Denon X520-BT
Wharfedale

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2017 at 09:04 PM »
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

here you go. streaming via wireless from my NAS

sound settings (android)

kodi setting (audio, expert)

sample vid - kodi 17.1 changed skin to confluence

receiver (direct setting)

Offline Peeves

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • You shall not pass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #242 on: May 22, 2017 at 07:31 AM »
We have the same settings but my receiver detects PCM with no audio when watching movies with DTS. If DD no issues. will try to re install kodi later.

Offline greenlight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2017 at 01:28 PM »
I took the plunge as suggested by shoestrings and bought a unit at Globe at Glorietta last saturday. 

My aging egreat unit conked out on me after serving me happily for 8 years.  So Android TV is new to me and my initial use is for this is to play my movie collections in my external HD.

I initially tried VLC to view my movies on my external HD but it keeps on hanging so I used Kodi and this worked perfectly.

I am now just doing my research on how to best enjoy my new toy but my initial pet peeve is not knowing how to turn off the Mi Box.  There is no power off button on the unit and the power off button on the remote only puts the box to sleep.  If I press and hold the power button on the remote, the option I get is to reboot the box which is not what I want as I want to power down the device.

My issue here is that I have a USB HD connected to the box and when the Mi Box is in suspend mode, the attached HD is still powered on as the LED light on the HD is still blinking.  So as a newbie, i pull out the power cable from the box.  I don't think this is elegant as I am not ejecting my HD the proper way.  Since this is Android and not the usual NMT, I think I need to be careful with my HD and that I need to eject it properly before powering down the unit.

Your thoughts, mga masters.

My next objective is trying to make IWant TV work as this is the request of my wife.  I need to read up on sideloading.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I know I will enjoy this box.

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #244 on: May 22, 2017 at 02:34 PM »
I am now just doing my research on how to best enjoy my new toy but my initial pet peeve is not knowing how to turn off the Mi Box.  There is no power off button on the unit and the power off button on the remote only puts the box to sleep.  If I press and hold the power button on the remote, the option I get is to reboot the box which is not what I want as I want to power down the device.

Yes it's not designed to be powered down. With the roadmap presented at Google I/O, these Android TV boxes are designed to evolve into Google Assistants similar to the Echo Dot where they will be interacting with users on a lot of tasks.

My issue here is that I have a USB HD connected to the box and when the Mi Box is in suspend mode, the attached HD is still powered on as the LED light on the HD is still blinking.  So as a newbie, i pull out the power cable from the box.  I don't think this is elegant as I am not ejecting my HD the proper way.  Since this is Android and not the usual NMT, I think I need to be careful with my HD and that I need to eject it properly before powering down the unit.

If it's important you power down the HD, you can find a USB hub w/ individual power switches on them. IMHO it's safe to power down without ejecting as long as you're not running any tasks that's actively writing to the HD. Hence don't mount your drives as additional storage for the Mi Box.

My next objective is trying to make IWant TV work as this is the request of my wife.  I need to read up on sideloading.

Hmm. Not available on the play store for Android TV, you can sideload it but hassle to use without a air mouse.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2017 at 02:41 PM »
Power off is hold the power button until it says reboot and press power button again. You'll know if it is off when it doesn't go back to home screen

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #246 on: May 22, 2017 at 02:43 PM »
Power off is hold the power button until it says reboot and press power button again. You'll know if it is off when it doesn't go back to home screen

This will cause a Reboot, so it will immediately cycle up again.  What I do is do a reboot, and turn off the AC switch when the screen black outs.

I plan to install a power off app instead.  Bad trip din ako na walang power off option.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2017 at 02:46 PM »
Di naman sakin. It will reboot only when u press the center button.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2017 at 02:47 PM »

I think that's still sleep mode. I have a USB hub w/ LED indicators and it's still on after following this sequence. A power off would mean cycling completely the boot-up sequence w/ boot screen. In this case, it just goes back to home screen so it's not power-off.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017 at 02:49 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2017 at 02:48 PM »
Ah i didn't know pero that's how i turn it "off" then unplug pag gising sa umaga

Offline 45caliber

• Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2017 at 04:00 PM »
Malamang bibili na ako nito after office sa intogadgets.. thanks to paololorenzo at shoestring.. dahil sa mga paliwanag nila.. nabulungan din yata ako.. inuna ko lang yung 55KU6000 na smart tv kasi medyo mabigat sa bulsa..  kaya eto na ako mamaya..  question ko lang is paano ko malalaman kung international version ang makukuha ko? ito po ba yung orange box na may $76 dollar na blah blah sa lower right part ng box.. baka kasi yung sinasabing chinese version ang makuha ko.. siguro naman sa intogadgets.. international lang ang meron.. salamat
Wharfedale

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2017 at 04:05 PM »
Look for the Model # printed on the back of the box. It should say MDZ-16AB. Anything otherwise is not international model.

Offline 45caliber

• Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2017 at 04:23 PM »
how about yung orange box na binebenta ng intogadgets? sa kanila po kasi ako kukuha.. thanks
Wharfedale

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #253 on: May 22, 2017 at 08:27 PM »
Yes. Basta meron mga badge nang Netflix at Sling TV, that's the international version. Meron model number sa bar code sticker sa likod.

Offline 45caliber

• Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2017 at 10:36 PM »
bakit po nag install ako ng kodi 17.1.. tapos naglagay ako ng alluc at exodus.. pag nagpili na ako ng source.. playback failed.. meron po ba akong mali
Wharfedale

Offline Peeves

• Collector
  • You shall not pass!
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2017 at 10:53 PM »
Finally got kodi to work with dts. May update pala yung box did not notice. Works fine after updating

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2017 at 11:48 PM »
congratz to all Mi Box 3 owners!

i've been lurking in this thread and I can't recall if this is my first post or my nth..  ;)

I know one time I've said that this Mi Box 3 appears to be a very good contender if not surpassing other Android TV's... what makes this better than others is that it is a certified Google Android TV!  so support and technological updates are sure to come with this device!

this is the most practical and economically priced Android TV fit for my needs.  and I think I might be getting one too, soon!

just these questions, please:
    - I saw one post of a successful pass-through of DTS-HD MA codec.  can someone please confirm if Dolby TrueHD and especially Atmos/DTS:X can get pass-through successfully as well?
    - for a 4K HDR and BT.2020 contents, which HDMI cable does it require, a 2.0a high transmit capable of 18Gbps or does the supplied one can do?

I'll be setting up a second HT system on our bedroom and I'd need this one to decode those lossless audio simply because the Sony Smart Android TV can't.

TIA!

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2017 at 12:07 AM »
just these questions, please:
    - I saw one post of a successful pass-through of DTS-HD MA codec.  can someone please confirm if Dolby TrueHD and especially Atmos/DTS:X can get pass-through successfully as well?

The receivers I used (Denon and Onkyo) only supports up to DTS-HD and TrueHD so that much I can confirm.

- for a 4K HDR and BT.2020 contents, which HDMI cable does it require, a 2.0a high transmit capable of 18Gbps or does the supplied one can do?

Stock HDMI cable works just fine.

Offline Peeves

• Collector
  • You shall not pass!
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2017 at 08:19 AM »
Which of the pre installed apps can be used here without using a VPN? Aside from Netflix

Offline 45caliber

• Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2017 at 03:24 PM »

International Version po ba itong nakuha.. inabot ako ng hanggang 2am kakaayos ng mga add ons ng Kodi.. bakit po minsan sa alluc or exodus.. pag play ng video.. minsan lumalabas cannot be played.. need to view the log.. ano po ba magandang add ons kung movie streaming lang? thanks thanks.. dapat kahapon tapos na sana yung ibang set up.. nag dead boot yung TV.. malas.. 3days old pa lang.. nabitin yung pag aayos ko.. mamayang gabi try ko ulit pagpuyatan..

Thanks ng marami kay Paolorenzo at Shoestrings sa mga paliwanag.. need ko pa ng konting pag intindi sa ganitong bagay. and Shoestrings were right.. papasalamatan ko kayo pagkabili ko.. much better than the MXQ.. mas mabilis talaga ang Mi Box.. wala ako naging problema sa connection..
Wharfedale

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2017 at 03:39 PM »
dont expect na lahat mag play yun nasa exodus and other add-ons especially if you know it isn't legit.

then try the recommended apps may mga free like pluto TV, haystack, etc.

Offline 45caliber

• Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2017 at 03:43 PM »
dont expect na lahat mag play yun nasa exodus and other add-ons especially if you know it isn't legit.

then try the recommended apps may mga free like pluto TV, haystack, etc.

Salamat.. okey ba ang pluto.. subukan ko nga
Wharfedale

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2017 at 03:46 PM »
Pluto & Haystack will give you an introduction into Live TV channels streamed via IP. Then you can try Puppetmaster TV. All free.. all legit.

The future is IPTV.

Offline TonyC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: May 23, 2017 at 03:53 PM »
Just a newbie question, what's the min. internet speed required to stream HD materials.  Thanks!

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2017 at 03:56 PM »
Pluto & Haystack will give you an introduction into Live TV channels streamed via IP. Then you can try Puppetmaster TV. All free.. all legit.

The future is IPTV.

uy talaga sige nga try ko yan!

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2017 at 03:59 PM »
https://www.howtogeek.com/217627/htg-explains-should-you-pay-more-for-a-faster-internet-connection/

"However, for streaming, you only require a certain amount of speed. For Netflix HD streaming, Netflix says it will take 5.0 Mbps (Megabits per second). Other services — from YouTube to HBO Go — should require a similar amount of bandwidth for their HD, 1080p streams. if you’re using Netflix’s 4K UHD stream — and you’re probably not — that will require 25 Mbps. Music streams will require much less bandwidth than video streams."

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: May 23, 2017 at 04:05 PM »
uy talaga sige nga try ko yan!

Yes... go slow, take the time to learn.

Also don't forget your box is also a chromecast device so you can "cast" content from your mobile phone/laptop to your TV.

And hopefully in time, Google will enable the assistant on these boxes so you can talk to it just like standalone Alexa or Google Echo Dot to make life easier.

I'm actually researching now on home control so once it's released I can start putting smart bulbs and smart outlets to control my home.

The future is bright!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017 at 04:07 PM by scifi-fan »

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: May 23, 2017 at 04:07 PM »
yup aware of it. im actually moving my existing chromecast to another tv.

i'll explore this puppet master.

Offline 45caliber

• Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: May 23, 2017 at 04:10 PM »
Di lang ako succesful sa search using the mic.. paano ba ang tamang pag gamit.. hehehe
Wharfedale

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: May 23, 2017 at 04:10 PM »
yup aware of it. im actually moving my existing chromecast to another tv.

i'll explore this puppet master.

Once you install Puppetmaster TV, the sample repository is called "REKODI", type that in and install the full repo.

Once done you should be able to add the channels on the Live TV channels app (I don't use the puppetmaster app directly).