Author Topic: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS  (Read 138811 times)

Offline traveler69

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Re: Xiaomi Mi Box 3 (International Edition): FIRST IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #600 on: Aug 27, 2017 at 07:12 PM »
I've tried a few files already, and there's only one file which the Xiaomi Mi Box still can't play well - the Eagles Melbourne concert which is supposed to be 1080p and DTS. The sound does not match the video - the video lags and it's like it's buffering (an indicator appears in the middle of the screen which says 80% then 90% then 100%  -sort of like when you first load Netflix except this happens in the middle of the file). The weird thing for me is that the portable hard disk where the file is stored is plugged into the USB slot of the Xiaomi and not streamed via wifi. Not sure why it would still need to buffer.

I have a huge digital file of this wonderful Eagles Melbourne concert, both in 1080p MKV and ISO formats. And I don't recall that I ever had a problem playing it.

Just to try to isolate the possible cause behind the playback problem, have you tried using other apps such as VLC, SPMC or MX Player Pro?

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2017 at 07:24 PM by traveler69 »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #601 on: Aug 27, 2017 at 07:47 PM »
I have a huge digital file of this wonderful Eagles Melbourne concert, both in 1080p MKV and ISO formats. And I don't recall that I ever had a problem playing it.

Just to try to isolate the possible cause behind the playback problem, have you tried using other apps such as VLC, SPMC or MX Player Pro?

My file size is about 11gig

Just tried with VLC. Attempt #1 - sound only, no video; Attempt #2-video is frozen at opening scene, with sound.

MX Player free version - DTS not supported so video only, no sound. A bit pixelated.

I don't have MX Player Pro, just the free version. (is it worth buying the pro version?)

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #602 on: Aug 27, 2017 at 09:05 PM »
^Oh, that's a tough one, sir @tonedeaf!

I was actually expecting that VLC, a powerful free app at that, would have been sufficient to play that DTS-encoded 1080p file without a hitch. No need to buy an app.

Earlier today, I was using VLC app to watch the remastered version of Ronin, a big 1080p DTS-encoded file. Playback was flawless on the Mi Box. Sometimes, DL is not perfect. I've had bad files so I need to re-DL them again and then all is okay.

What is the possibility that somehow your copy of Eagles Melbourne got whacked?

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #603 on: Aug 27, 2017 at 09:25 PM »
is the eagles concert only having problems in the mi box? have you tried on the pc or other players?

Offline Davenport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 198
« Reply #604 on: Aug 27, 2017 at 10:54 PM »
Earlier today, I was using VLC app to watch the remastered version of Ronin, a big 1080p DTS-encoded file. Playback was flawless on the Mi Box. Sometimes, DL is not perfect. I've had bad files so I need to re-DL them again and then all is okay.

Another Mi Box owner here.  Meron din akong mga 1080p DTS videos na may problema sa playback. Freezing din o kaya stutter. Ang ginawa ko, inulit ko mag-download. Yun lang pala, may error yung unang files talaga kasi pareho ng source, parehong files pero yung  bagong download wala na akong problema sa playback.

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #605 on: Aug 28, 2017 at 01:06 PM »
with android media players, I find Kodi/SPMC as the easiest to use and most powerful one..

Mi Box owners, not sure if my previous question has been answered.. can anyone attest to this Mi Box Android flawlessly bit-stream ATMOS/DTS:X audio tracks?

I might suggest this with a friend.. tia!

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #606 on: Aug 28, 2017 at 01:45 PM »
^Oh, that's a tough one, sir @tonedeaf!

I was actually expecting that VLC, a powerful free app at that, would have been sufficient to play that DTS-encoded 1080p file without a hitch. No need to buy an app.

Di po ako "sir" :)

Sadly, I think it may be a file issue.

Online Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #607 on: Aug 28, 2017 at 01:52 PM »
Di po ako "sir" :)

Sadly, I think it may be a file issue.
try mo gamitin spmc na app. same lang ng kodi yon

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #608 on: Sep 03, 2017 at 07:06 PM »
Hi, just wondering what are you guy's set-up for wireless streaming to the mi box? Is a wireless AC router needed?

I'm smb folder share on my windows 7 pc connected via ethernet cable to my huawei modem/router that's only wireless N. And I do get buffering when streaming to the mi box via es file explorer net>lan>smb folder>vlc player.

Any tips/suggestions? Thanks.

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #609 on: Sep 03, 2017 at 07:37 PM »
here's my setup mi box > wireless 5ghz > asus rt-n66u (not AC) > NAS wired to router .

whenever i experience buffering from a huge file 8GB+ i switch over to 2.4ghz. direct stream from the internet (youtube, iflix, netflix, crackle, and similar) has no issues regardless if 2.4 or 5ghz.

the main player is kodi, latest version. haven't tried playing it on vlc or mx player.

your buffering issue can come from various reasons - router, player (and settings), file size, interference if wireless, etc.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #610 on: Sep 03, 2017 at 10:06 PM »
Hi, just wondering what are you guy's set-up for wireless streaming to the mi box? Is a wireless AC router needed?

I'm smb folder share on my windows 7 pc connected via ethernet cable to my huawei modem/router that's only wireless N. And I do get buffering when streaming to the mi box via es file explorer net>lan>smb folder>vlc player.

Any tips/suggestions? Thanks.

For better streaming I think you should have an AC router. Minimize interference and you should be near to your router as much as possible if you are using wifi for streaming. It also helps if you are the only one acessing the router and nobody else.

You can also use spmc/kodi and connect via upnp rather than smb.

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #611 on: Sep 04, 2017 at 10:45 AM »
For better streaming I think you should have an AC router. Minimize interference and you should be near to your router as much as possible if you are using wifi for streaming. It also helps if you are the only one acessing the router and nobody else.

You can also use spmc/kodi and connect via upnp rather than smb.

the router is about 1 meter away.

I guess I need to try out kodi upnp and see if it improves. thanks.

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #612 on: Sep 04, 2017 at 10:48 AM »
here's my setup mi box > wireless 5ghz > asus rt-n66u (not AC) > NAS wired to router .

whenever i experience buffering from a huge file 8GB+ i switch over to 2.4ghz. direct stream from the internet (youtube, iflix, netflix, crackle, and similar) has no issues regardless if 2.4 or 5ghz.

the main player is kodi, latest version. haven't tried playing it on vlc or mx player.

your buffering issue can come from various reasons - router, player (and settings), file size, interference if wireless, etc.

stuck at 2.4 Ghz. no problems when streaming via apps like Netflix and youtube,

also did try some kodi as the player and still had buffering. I will try the upnp option suggested by nerveblocker. But I have a feeling it's the router that is the bottleneck.

thanks.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #613 on: Sep 04, 2017 at 10:51 AM »
^ try mo din yun advance settings ng kodi but you have to tinker with text file and stuff. also isa sa mabagal dyan yun SMB protocol on sharing...

N lang yun router ko and it's like 2-3.5 meters away with walls, doors, appliance, and stuff

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #614 on: Sep 05, 2017 at 04:37 AM »
SMB has always been slow when it comes to streaming, I couldn't consistently do 1080p+DTS over wifi on my N router (300 Mbps rated speed) in the past, even with MiMO on.  UPnP (DLNA) is marginally better.

Note as well that N routers come in both 150Mbps and 300Mbps variants.  I would definitely move to AC if you want to stream high-bitrate media files over wifi.

You may also need to set your router wifi settings to 5GHz only if you want to make sure that the network will default to a faster speed (YMMV depending on distance/interference to the router).

Netflix, Amazon, iFlix, etc., stream files that have a lot lower bitrate than your average Blu-ray to MKV/MP4 encodes.  In fact, you can get 4k streams for less than 25Mbps of bandwidth. 

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #615 on: Sep 05, 2017 at 11:45 AM »
thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I have tried UPnP server/client for Kodi and it seems to be a bit better but I haven't tried a whole movie yet. Just got the mi box and tinkering to see what it can do. Since it's currently the only device I have that have wireless AC and 5ghz. I will probably hold off on upgrading my router to AC until I have more devices that can take advantage of it.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #616 on: Sep 05, 2017 at 11:58 AM »
imho, you dont need AC and 5ghz unless the conditions say otherwise. isa sa hanapin mo is MIMO

Offline shoestrings

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #617 on: Sep 06, 2017 at 05:16 AM »
@firestorm
You can also perform an iperf test between your pc and mi-box.
you can install iperf for android to your mibox via chrome browser then install ka ng Jperf(needs java) or iperf using command line lang.
since naka wireless-N ka try install an app in your phone called wifi analyzer to check your channels. check if your router is sharing channels with another router.
and yes mabagal talaga yung SMB. I'm actually using FTP protocol via IIS built in sa widows.  sa SMB dati I can only stream at 25-30Mbps. Via FTP I'm wala akong problem playing back 4k HEVC 60fps 50mbit na video and getting the full 70Mbps speed i'm getting sa iperf.
used to have a wireless ac router set as a wireless AP pero may issue with ddwrt rom so balik muna sa wireless N.
both pc and mi box connected sa 150mbps wireless N wireless access point since medyo malayo ang main router ko. Getting a steady 70Mbps+ connection with my pc and mi box.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2017 at 10:42 AM by shoestrings »
I spent the summer wasting
The time was passed so easily

Offline nallasartal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #618 on: Sep 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM »
My Pluto TV is not functioning any more both in my MI BOX and Nvidia Shield TV. Do you guys experience the same thing?

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #619 on: Sep 12, 2017 at 04:17 AM »
My Pluto TV is not functioning any more both in my MI BOX and Nvidia Shield TV. Do you guys experience the same thing?

still working on my end pati on demand movies niya..

Offline hls

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • DVD Guru
  • impossible is nothing. just do it.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #620 on: Sep 12, 2017 at 08:36 PM »
hi guys, where did you get yours? ok ba bumili nito  sa lazada? thanks...

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #621 on: Sep 12, 2017 at 09:25 PM »
I got mine from lazada ..  that was before globe offered it. Or sa shoppee for local warranty .

but depends how you intend to use it there are other options  for media players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #622 on: Sep 13, 2017 at 08:46 AM »

I've seen resellers in FB, slightly priced cheaper than what you'd pay for if you get it from Globe stores or Intogadgets. If warranty is important to you, it's a wise move to steer clear of other online resellers.

Offline hls

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #623 on: Sep 13, 2017 at 08:51 AM »
I got mine from lazada ..  that was before globe offered it. Or sa shoppee for local warranty .

but depends how you intend to use it there are other options  for media players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thanks
I've seen resellers in FB, slightly priced cheaper than what you'd pay for if you get it from Globe stores or Intogadgets. If warranty is important to you, it's a wise move to steer clear of other online resellers.
thanks

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #624 on: Sep 13, 2017 at 03:21 PM »
fyi, the bt voice remote of my mi box was no longer responding.. changed with fresh batteries still not responding.
luckily i still have another mibox to isolate the issue. unfortunately after testing, the remote is really broken.
since this mibox is a globe unit, i checked the warranty card its stated there to contact intogadgets for service.
I called the hotline and i was surprised that wala silang idea with the mi box.  pinasa pasa nila ako sa mga tauhan nila.
they even provided me the number of their sales dept which I called and walang nangyari sinabi sa akin dalhin ko daw sa globe store na pinagbilhan ko.
I contacted their FB page and sent an image ng warranty card ng globe included in my mi box. nag reply kinabukasan and they acknowledged na sila nga ang mag provide assistance with my concern. I sent the remote via Xend last monday and they just got it today. awaiting for the replacement.

So if incase that you're having issues with your mi box from globe.. contact them directly via fb and look for nelson.

Offline traveler69

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #625 on: Sep 13, 2017 at 04:29 PM »
^ I'm curious why there seems to be a disconnect between Globe and Intogadgets when it comes to warranty. I just hope your case will somehow "awaken" the people concerned and this pasa-pasa thing won't happen to other people.

I have 4 Mi boxes, 3 of which were bought in Singapore. 1 unit was purchased from a Globe store in Quezon City.  I have no problems with them. But if I run into any problem, I can only claim warranty for the unit I purchased from Globe.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #626 on: Sep 13, 2017 at 05:50 PM »
@traveler69 -- ^ sir where in SG did you buy your unit? if you can post here or PM. thanks. i'm considering getting another here too. thanks.

Offline shoestrings

• Collector
  • missing the moon
  • Liked:
« Reply #627 on: Sep 13, 2017 at 05:59 PM »
^fyi, i've read that GLOBE in Alabang town center is selling their mi box for 2.4k up until sept 30. my friends tried confirm it with other branches but its still at 3.8k. 
anyone near ATC to confirm? :D
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2017 at 06:00 PM by shoestrings »

Offline hls

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #628 on: Sep 13, 2017 at 06:06 PM »
^fyi, i've read that GLOBE in Alabang town center is selling their mi box for 2.4k up until sept 30. my friends tried confirm it with other branches but its still at 3.8k. 

Nice. Sana nga.

Offline flashDB

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #629 on: Sep 13, 2017 at 06:41 PM »
Shoot. Dyan na!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk