Author Topic: Upgrade HTPC to 4K Reso with HDR  (Read 7941 times)

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Upgrade HTPC to 4K Reso with HDR
« on: Jan 17, 2017 at 10:08 PM »
Sirs,
Eto spec ng HTPC ko, I had this PC for like 2 yrs. I wanted to upgrade this to 4K reso with HDR at the lowest possible cost (playback only, I'm no longer into PC games).

Procie: AMD A8 5600 APU 3.6Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 256 GB SSD  + 7 HDD
Mobo: Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3 (sana magagamit pa rin ito as I have 7 HDD internal + 1SSD for boot up; 8 SATA ports kasi 'to)
GPU: 2GB AMD HD6570 DDR3
Display: BenQ W1070 PJ (planning to add 4k HDR TV)

Would this HTPC upgradable to 4K reso with HDR? I'm hoping GPU lang papalitan, if so anong brand and model, I'm hoping the least possible cost as I still have to buy a 4k HDR TV..
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2017 at 10:22 PM by rulesmeister »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
Re: Upgrade HTPC to 4K Reso with HDR
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017 at 01:51 AM »
Sirs,
Eto spec ng HTPC ko, I had this PC for like 2 yrs. I wanted to upgrade this to 4K reso with HDR at the lowest possible cost (playback only, I'm no longer into PC games).

Procie: AMD A8 5600 APU 3.6Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 256 GB SSD  + 7 HDD
Mobo: Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3 (sana magagamit pa rin ito as I have 7 HDD internal + 1SSD for boot up; 8 SATA ports kasi 'to)
GPU: 2GB AMD HD6570 DDR3
Display: BenQ W1070 PJ (planning to add 4k HDR TV)

Would this HTPC upgradable to 4K reso with HDR? I'm hoping GPU lang papalitan, if so anong brand and model, I'm hoping the least possible cost as I still have to buy a 4k HDR TV..

That depends on your source. Most sources would require that you replace your mainboard/cpu/ram due to DRM.

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017 at 01:56 AM »
OT

Would it be cost efficient to just get a separate media player?

The prices of 4K HDR  capable video cards are 12k atleast.   If you go kaby lake  NUC or PC. build  It could be lesser. But too much work.

If I am in your position, I would just buy an Android Box. Preferably with Amlogic S912 chip.

And just use your HTPC as a NAS.

It wont upset your current setup and just adds around 10 watts of power consumption.  Unlike a Discreet Video card that consumes way more than that, maybe 100 watts or more.

Upfront cost  + power consumption cost is the advantage of an Android media player.

Unless you have  a  big reason why you would still use a HTPC nowadays.  If you have none, a  separate media player would be less costly and less complicated as opposed to buying a Video card or motherboard with 4k HDR capable IGP.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2017 at 02:00 AM by DPT »

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017 at 09:39 AM »
That depends on your source. Most sources would require that you replace your mainboard/cpu/ram due to DRM.

Ouch! I thought may pagka "future-proof" ang HTPC until 4k HDR came along...

Tama ka Sir DPT, if budget-wise, a better option would be an NMT. buying a 12k GPU is illogical for me since hindi naman ako PC gamer. When I was into PC games some years back, pang high settings game na ung 12k GPU.

Question:
Does the NMT (newer models) compete with  HTPC in terms of video-quality? kahit hindi talaga HTPC-like PQ as long as maganda pa rin PQ. Btw I've tested Kaiboer, Minix, Egreat and I went back to HTPC because of its outstanding PQ. (I'm asking this because I havent tested an NMT for years, syempre may improvements din naman over time)..

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017 at 10:01 AM »
^
Sir HiMedia Q10pro and NVidia Shield TV okay na okay ang PQ...
I was able to test both on my Sony 4K PJ and they both produced very good reaults(PQ)

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM »
Ouch! I thought may pagka "future-proof" ang HTPC until 4k HDR came along...

Tama ka Sir DPT, if budget-wise, a better option would be an NMT. buying a 12k GPU is illogical for me since hindi naman ako PC gamer. When I was into PC games some years back, pang high settings game na ung 12k GPU.

Question:
Does the NMT (newer models) compete with  HTPC in terms of video-quality? kahit hindi talaga HTPC-like PQ as long as maganda pa rin PQ. Btw I've tested Kaiboer, Minix, Egreat and I went back to HTPC because of its outstanding PQ. (I'm asking this because I havent tested an NMT for years, syempre may improvements din naman over time)..

I could be wrong. The pq issues with android boxes came from inferior color spacing and frame switching. Some newer  android boxes  can properly display proper color spacing  and now can frame switch using proper software.

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017 at 10:43 AM »
Again, Sir Louie, many thanks for the info.
Nabasa ko rin sa kabilang thread ung Wetek hub ok din daw, pati ung HiMedia. A lot cheaper pa.

Btw, I still use my HTPC for other uses like MS-office, browisng, webcam chat with relatives abroad etc

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2017 at 11:15 AM »
Update:
I'm planning to purchase the Akaso T95Z plus andriod TV box, it had Amlogic S912 chip (as Sir DPT suggested) this has 4k reso with HDR capability. I chose Akaso brand over the other brands because it had the highest feedback rating (4.5/5 stars from 400++ feedbacks) among the other brands having Amlogic S912 chip. Plus this is one is cheap at US $65.99 or ~ Php3,300

Konting problema lang, wala sa 'Pinas 'to.. Amazon /Ebay purchase lang. I'm hoping meron workmates ipapadala sa US this Q1 para handcarry pauwi at makalibre sa shipping.. If not, JAC, LBC shipping nalang. Again thanks Sir DPT

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2017 at 01:23 PM »
Update:
I'm planning to purchase the Akaso T95Z plus andriod TV box, it had Amlogic S912 chip (as Sir DPT suggested) this has 4k reso with HDR capability. I chose Akaso brand over the other brands because it had the highest feedback rating (4.5/5 stars from 400++ feedbacks) among the other brands having Amlogic S912 chip. Plus this is one is cheap at US $65.99 or ~ Php3,300

Konting problema lang, wala sa 'Pinas 'to.. Amazon /Ebay purchase lang. I'm hoping meron workmates ipapadala sa US this Q1 para handcarry pauwi at makalibre sa shipping.. If not, JAC, LBC shipping nalang. Again thanks Sir DPT

I ordered  ordered alot of things from gearbest.com and banggood.com all of them arrived and has insurance in case it got lost.

The main thing is to have it sent ny air parcel registered or registered mail with tracking.  This will make it easier for you to track your mail and you can even ask the philpost hotline which sack your parcel is in if it is in the local post office. You do not need to wait for the claim stub if you know which sack yout mail is in when the tracking says it is in your local post office branch.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017 at 01:24 PM by DPT »

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2017 at 01:50 PM »
^Thanks Sir!
I was informed that our service engr will be sent there by ww09. Dito na ako sa libre :-)

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017 at 03:55 PM »
^Thanks Sir!
I was informed that our service engr will be sent there by ww09. Dito na ako sa libre :-)

I envy you guys now. You have tons and tons of choices for 4k, hevc boxes to pick from nowadays.  Literally bought the most expensive android  box 1.5 years ago just to be able to play things decently that time.

Usually android boxes that have vanilla android installed have an unknown  factor when it comes to the bundled remote. Sometimes the packaged remote is good enough, sometimes the bundled remote totally sucks.   Some spend like another 10 to 15$ for a third party IR Air mouse/keyboard/remote in one device.

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017 at 03:59 PM by DPT »

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2017 at 09:56 PM »
I've read somewhere that as early as 2006, HDR on DirectX9 GPUs is already available (although reso isn't 4k during that time). Does this meant you just get a GPU that could handle 4k/60fps and you're good to go (DirectX11 &12)? 

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM »
I've read somewhere that as early as 2006, HDR on DirectX9 GPUs is already available (although reso isn't 4k during that time). Does this meant you just get a GPU that could handle 4k/60fps and you're good to go (DirectX11 &12)?

You need  HDMI 2.0 and HEVC support.  If I  am not mistaken H 265 will be dominant with 4k video. So you need a GPU that can decode HEVC.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 06:36 AM »
DX9 had a Bloom feature which isn't true HDR.

If you want usable HDR gaming, then you need a current gen display and GPU. If you want HDR video playback, then a current CPU may be highly useful as well (for HDCP 2.2)

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 09:31 PM »
Ito possible solution ko:
** upgrade to APU w/ FM2+ socket (this will enable the mobo to accept PCIe 3.0 GPUs) - AMD A8 7600 = P3,900
** upgrade video card to Nvidia pascal-based GPU - GTX 1050 = P5,700
Total: P9,600

On second thoughts, konti nalang idadagdag, may Nvidia Shield na

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2017 at 09:42 PM by rulesmeister »

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 10:42 PM »
** upgrade to APU w/ FM2+ socket (this will enable the mobo to accept PCIe 3.0 GPUs) - AMD A8 7600 = P3,900

You have to think of how much your electrictiy bill will be.  GTX 1050 is using around 80 watts. So if you run it 6 hours a day that is around 5pesos. or around 150 pesos a month that is for just the GPU alone.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 11:29 PM »

Even a PCIe 1.0 slot will accommodate a PCIe 3.0 GPU. Unfortunately, the A8 7600 would still be limited by the lack of HDCP 2.2 support.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2017 at 11:33 PM »
You have to think of how much your electrictiy bill will be.  GTX 1050 is using around 80 watts. So if you run it 6 hours a day that is around 5pesos. or around 150 pesos a month that is for just the GPU alone.
The actual GPU consumption would be a fraction of that. Most of the GPU would be idling during video playback, unless you'd be fully using its shaders for post-processing or to accelerate software-based decoding.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2017 at 11:34 PM by Stagea »

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 03:27 AM »
The actual GPU consumption would be a fraction of that. Most of the GPU would be idling during video playback, unless you'd be fully using its shaders for post-processing or to accelerate software-based decoding.

Assuming that all he needs is  a GPU upgrade and save on the Cpu upgrade.  IMHO  upgrading the CPU + GPU,  one is redundant from a horse power point of view.  My thinking is upgrading the GPU eliminates to  a large degree the need to upgrade the CPU since it will be for most part hardware decoding will be done by the GPU on certain platforms  that supports it. 

If he is thinking of upgrading CPU + GPU, why not get Kaby lake based system. It will cost as much as both the GPU + CPU upgrade but on the power consumption side he will get savings if it is going to be used as a HTPC pc and no gaming.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2017 at 03:29 AM by DPT »

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 11:18 AM »
@DPT:
No worries regarding the VC power consumption, as long as the VC does not use an extra 6-pin power supply, then I'm good with it. I only watch max of 2 movies per weekend so very minimal impact ng VC wattage sa Meralco bill namin.During normal use (non-HT related), the VC will be running idle majority of the time.

Regarding kaby lake route, adding an extra PC isnt an option, sa bahay we already have 3 desktop PCs (I dont own all of them) & 2 laptops. Plus the HTPC is also being used as an extended work station. A cheaper kaby lake route will only cater 1-2HDDs while the current PC has 8 HDDs (2TB-4TB capacity per HDD).

@Stagea:
I've read from Gigabyte recommendation that the mobo I'm using needs an FM2+ APU for the 4k resolution to be enabled. The current APU attached to the mobo is only an FM2. Based from what I read, for the 4K HDR to be enabled on my current rig, The APU should be FM2+ and the VC will be Nvidia Pascal-based GPU.Im not sure kong tama ba pagkakaintindi ko :)
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM by rulesmeister »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 11:28 AM »

@Stagea:
I've read from Gigabyte recommendation that the mobo I'm using needs an FM2+ APU for the 4k resolution to be enabled. The current APU attached to the mobo is only an FM2. Based from what I read, for the 4K HDR to be enabled on my current rig, The APU should be FM2+ and the VC will be Nvidia Pascal-based GPU.Im not sure kong tama ba pagkakaintindi ko :)

Gigabyte's recommendation is for enabling 4K display support using the APU's built-in GPU.

UHD HDR can theoretically be possible with your existing setup plus a current-gen GPU, but DRM will limit you significantly. Common UHD HDR materials require HDCP 2.2 compliant gear, and no FM2+ APU qualifies for that.

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM »
I guess you're refering to Netflix and Amazon prime UHD HDR video streaming? I dont do this, 15mbps/150gb data cap  lang internet namin. Does the DRM applies to HDD-based 4k movie file?

Offline xxadonisxx

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM »
OT

Would it be cost efficient to just get a separate media player?
I agree with this,  buy an nvidia shield TV and enjoy!  No need to complicate things with expensive pc parts, a kabylake processor for Netflix 4k-LOL

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 09:06 PM »
There's one way to find out, try niyo na with your current setup. Hehe!

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2017 at 11:11 PM »
There's one way to find out, try niyo na with your current setup. Hehe!

agree! :)

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2017 at 10:32 AM »
Quick update:
Bought an LG 55" UHD TV from an Abenson sale promo last weekend.

Just installed a Zotac Mini 2GB GTX 1050 for ~Php5,800; sold my GPU to an ofismate for P1,500 (2 gives na para hindi makatanggi).. Total cost P4,300

Tested with footages from GoPro Hero4 at 4k reso, PQ was superb. Tried downloading Sony 4k demo videos, so far smooth playback... I guess for 4k playback, the GTX 1050 played smoothly.

Haven't tried watching a full 4k movie, been very busy. I'll test this again on a 79GB file 4k movie. Haven't tested the HDR capability of this yet, hindi ko lang alam paano malaman kong HDR na ung movie (anyway that's for me to explore).
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM by rulesmeister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2017 at 02:23 PM »
Quick update:
Bought an LG 55" UHD TV from an Abenson sale promo last weekend.

Just installed a Zotac Mini 2GB GTX 1050 for ~Php5,800; sold my GPU to an ofismate for P1,500 (2 gives na para hindi makatanggi).. Total cost P4,300

Tested with footages from GoPro Hero4 at 4k reso, PQ was superb. Tried downloading Sony 4k demo videos, so far smooth playback... I guess for 4k playback, the GTX 1050 played smoothly.

Haven't tried watching a full 4k movie, been very busy. I'll test this again on a 79GB file 4k movie. Haven't tested the HDR capability of this yet, hindi ko lang alam paano malaman kong HDR na ung movie (anyway that's for me to explore).
Please let us know if you can play Blu-ray movies maski hindi 4k. And if it's not working, can you find out which of your device/s is not HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2017 at 02:32 PM »

Gigabyte's recommendation is for enabling 4K display support using the APU's built-in GPU.

UHD HDR can theoretically be possible with your existing setup plus a current-gen GPU, but DRM will limit you significantly. Common UHD HDR materials require HDCP 2.2 compliant gear, and no FM2+ APU qualifies for that.

Master, is HDCP (by Intel) under the umbrella of DRM?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2017 at 03:28 PM »
Please let us know if you can play Blu-ray movies maski hindi 4k. And if it's not working, can you find out which of your device/s is not HDCP 2.2 compliant.

You don't need HDCP 2.2 for 1080p BDs. It will work with older versions.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2017 at 03:29 PM »
Master, is HDCP (by Intel) under the umbrella of DRM?

It is a DRM technology.