Author Topic: Considering to buy new reciever - pls suggest  (Read 4709 times)

Offline eksi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Considering to buy new reciever - pls suggest
« on: Feb 05, 2017 at 01:58 AM »
For the longest time, Im connecting directly my NMT to projector.
My receiver has no HDMI and I connect it to NMT via Optical connection.
Nag renovate ako ng HT room that required longer HDMI cable.
So I bought new HDMI cable and still connect it between NMT and projector.
However, I noticed that NMT's HDMI port seems cant drive 1080p signal thru the new/longer HDMI cable.
May display sa projector but the video quality is very noisy and flickers.
But when I switch to 1080i or 720p, nawala yung heavy noise but from time to time lumalabas yung noise pero very very minimal noise lang (managable, kumbaga pwede na)
So with that I had this conclusion na di kaya ibigay ng NMT yung power na kailangan for longer HDMI to work properly 1080p.
And now Im considering to buy new model available receivers thinking na mas powerful HDMI drivers nito comparw to NMTs.
Do you agree on this solution?
Please suggest din entry level receivers and if possible paki advise SRP. Right now parang gusto ko i continue pagamit ng Denon pero baka may mas maganda/mura na model from Onkyo.
TIA

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: Considering to buy new reciever - pls suggest
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2017 at 03:25 AM »
between these entry models, you compare the features, power and price.  consider as well ease of use of remote and their aesthetics...

Denon 2015:  x1200W, x2200W
            2016:  x1300W, x2300W, x3300W

Onkyo 2015:  NR646. NR747
            2016:  SR444. NR555, NR656

were you really proved the culprit is your long HDMI cable?  how long is it, more that 15ft or more than 25ft?  what if you use the same NMT & long HDMI cable but connect with a LED TV?

there are also other HDMI cable masters here in PDVD... perhaps it's also good to consider asking which type of HDMI will best support your HT environment/set-up.

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2017 at 07:11 AM »
Instead of buying a new AVR you can try installing an hdmi repeater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLZrNXl5GYg

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2017 at 07:43 AM »
Whre i can buy hdmi repeaters?

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2017 at 08:03 AM »
between these entry models, you compare the features, power and price.  consider as well ease of use of remote and their aesthetics...

Denon 2015:  x1200W, x2200W
            2016:  x1300W, x2300W, x3300W

Onkyo 2015:  NR646. NR747
            2016:  SR444. NR555, NR656

were you really proved the culprit is your long HDMI cable?  how long is it, more that 15ft or more than 25ft?  what if you use the same NMT & long HDMI cable but connect with a LED TV?

there are also other HDMI cable masters here in PDVD... perhaps it's also good to consider asking which type of HDMI will best support your HT environment/set-up.

With the srp found online for hdmi repeater, i think better to invest in new receiver. Tsaka wala naman akong makitang local diatributor ng repeater, meron lang extender.

Sir, with the new receiver models suggested is it sure that those have powerful hdmi driver that will have no problem with 15meters hdmi cable?

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2017 at 08:59 AM »
There are HDMI repeaters/splitters in Lazada that is from P800 to P1500 and their specs say they support up to 15 meters. Specs say they support 15m. You'll have to wait though because they ship from abroad. The price is cheap enough to gamble on. You'd still be gambling anyway even if you change receivers because they don't guarantee extra long hdmi connections.

How long was your hdmi cable that did not have any problems? They way to do it is to put the hdmi repeater before the end of your previous problem free length. That way you can maximize the length of your cable run.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2017 at 09:01 AM by uvax »

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2017 at 04:01 PM »
There are HDMI repeaters/splitters in Lazada that is from P800 to P1500 and their specs say they support up to 15 meters. Specs say they support 15m. You'll have to wait though because they ship from abroad. The price is cheap enough to gamble on. You'd still be gambling anyway even if you change receivers because they don't guarantee extra long hdmi connections.

How long was your hdmi cable that did not have any problems? They way to do it is to put the hdmi repeater before the end of your previous problem free length. That way you can maximize the length of your cable run.

Thank you for your advise sir.

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2017 at 11:48 PM »
HDMI 15meters.. that's way too long.  =))

have you already sourced an HDMI with that length, say HDMI v1.4B, at least? those selling these HDMI length may be able to help too with your situation... =))

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 08:08 AM »
Update: Cable's the culprit. I bought a brand new hdmi cable and it worked perfectly. I think it's time to upgrade receiver so I got brand new one too! Happy ending :)

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 09:12 AM »
Update: Cable's the culprit. I bought a brand new hdmi cable and it worked perfectly. I think it's time to upgrade receiver so I got brand new one too! Happy ending :)
wow sir, anong receiver ang nakuha nyo?

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 11:57 AM »

there!  congratz in finding the root cause.. =))

yeah, which AVR did you get?  review naman dyan hehehe

thanks!

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 06:36 PM »
Got Onkyo 343 because of it's 4K capability and naka mark-down price sa lahat ng stores/dealers. I've just read the NG LR issue, naisip ko tuloy na this might be the reason why naka mark-down sya ngayon. Hopefully not.

So far, I'm satisfied with its performance. Sound quality wise, I felt the big improvement from my previous 5.1 set-up (i.e. Denon + B&W/Velodyn sub), lalo na sa LFE. Probably this is due to new technologies came out in the past 10 years. PQ wise, wala ako napansin big difference in terms of 1080p playback. I believe yung display talaga ang magdadala in terms of PQ. 

However, I'm excited with its 4K capability. I added 4K Android TV box too but not my projector (EPSON 2040) as I saw in youtube that 2040 can process 4K and project it to it's native 1080p resolution.  If 4K works, I don't expect a huge difference in terms of PQ but definitely there will be an improvement. Right now, I'm downloading 2160p mkv and will run it soonest ;)

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 08:11 PM »
how much is the mark-down of 343?  like 20% or 40% less?  you have the warranty anyway and hopefully these are isolated units only.  this is 5.1 AVR so no ATMOS & DTS:X.

for 4K's, download first some samples from DemoWorld website...

from your NMT to 343 to your display screen, there should be PQ improvement even though 1080p.  and for 4K, there REALLY should be noticeable ++ improvement.  otherwise, the HDMI engine you're previously asking weren't given to you by the 343 =))

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 09:33 PM »
Got Onkyo 343 because of it's 4K capability and naka mark-down price sa lahat ng stores/dealers. I've just read the NG LR issue, naisip ko tuloy na this might be the reason why naka mark-down sya ngayon. Hopefully not.

So far, I'm satisfied with its performance. Sound quality wise, I felt the big improvement from my previous 5.1 set-up (i.e. Denon + B&W/Velodyn sub), lalo na sa LFE. Probably this is due to new technologies came out in the past 10 years. PQ wise, wala ako napansin big difference in terms of 1080p playback. I believe yung display talaga ang magdadala in terms of PQ. 

However, I'm excited with its 4K capability. I added 4K Android TV box too but not my projector (EPSON 2040) as I saw in youtube that 2040 can process 4K and project it to it's native 1080p resolution.  If 4K works, I don't expect a huge difference in terms of PQ but definitely there will be an improvement. Right now, I'm downloading 2160p mkv and will run it soonest ;)
nice! congrats chief. ;)

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 10:18 PM »
Just remember to always power off completely before plugging in any HDMI equipment. The box my 343 came in had this explicit warning printed and pasted on the box. So far ok naman 343 ko and I'm pleasantly surprised the remote control accepts a wide variety of gear so you can have a unified remote. Even Skycable digibox worked with the Onkyo's remote.

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 10:59 PM »
Just remember to always power off completely before plugging in any HDMI equipment. The box my 343 came in had this explicit warning printed and pasted on the box. So far ok naman 343 ko and I'm pleasantly surprised the remote control accepts a wide variety of gear so you can have a unified remote. Even Skycable digibox worked with the Onkyo's remote.
check nyo parang may apps pa sa playstore ang remote na yan from Onkyo. :)

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 11:16 PM »
how much is the mark-down of 343?  like 20% or 40% less?  you have the warranty anyway and hopefully these are isolated units only.  this is 5.1 AVR so no ATMOS & DTS:X.

for 4K's, download first some samples from DemoWorld website...

from your NMT to 343 to your display screen, there should be PQ improvement even though 1080p.  and for 4K, there REALLY should be noticeable ++ improvement.  otherwise, the HDMI engine you're previously asking weren't given to you by the 343 =))

Listening Room/Audio Excellence told me that SRP of 343 was P21k and marked down to P15k (that's 28.6% off). Sakto lang sakin 5.1.
I don't have experts' eyes, probably I can't see PQ improvement by now in 1080p from previous set up:) But I have this expectation on PQ improvement of 2160p v 1080p (although the display is only 1080p) just like the improvement of 1080p v 720p on a 720p TV or projector.

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 11:23 PM »

Yes sir. The box I got also have that white paper warning;) Also noticed the wide range of the remote control. Medyo annoying lang for me kasi sumasabay galaw ng ibang equipment pag gusto mo lang naman i-adjust onkyo via remote ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2017 at 11:28 PM by eksi »

Offline shoktongxxx

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2017 at 11:34 PM »
Listening Room/Audio Excellence told me that SRP of 343 was P21k and marked down to P15k (that's 28.6% off). Sakto lang sakin 5.1.
I don't have experts' eyes, probably I can't see PQ improvement by now in 1080p from previous set up:) But I have this expectation on PQ improvement of 2160p v 1080p (although the display is only 1080p) just like the improvement of 1080p v 720p on a 720p TV or projector.
nice deal indeed na yan chief. :)

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2017 at 06:36 PM »
The Listening Room c/o Christine is very okay.  could beat other's prices =))

congratz, sir!

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 08:15 AM »
Thanks sir.

Update on 4K playback:
I'm receiving "resolution error" when I switch NMT to 2160p, but there is still display output at 1080p only even Onkyo detects 4K signal from NMT. I think the culprit here is my 1080p projector. It seems that Onkyo detects that the projector is not capable of 4K signal.

As expected there is big improvement in PQ in 4K playback even only in 1080p display. Tested Phantom Menace 4K BDrip AVC/H.264 DTS-HD MA

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 01:11 PM »
yes, the TV or projector could downgrade video resolution received from 2160p down to 1080p..

what's your NMT, sir?  I didn't know one could be forced to send a specific signal resolution..  as for my experience, my NMT will decode whatever is the resolution of the source and just send it for display.  when checked on the display, it will indicate the resolution being shown...

Offline eksi

• DVD Guru
  • I'm Arsenal!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 02:02 PM »
yes, the TV or projector could downgrade video resolution received from 2160p down to 1080p..

what's your NMT, sir?  I didn't know one could be forced to send a specific signal resolution..  as for my experience, my NMT will decode whatever is the resolution of the source and just send it for display.  when checked on the display, it will indicate the resolution being shown...

I'm using himedia h8 plus. I can force the projector to receive 2160p signal by directly connecting it via hdmi to NMT, and project display at its 1080p native resolution. Same PQ quality with Onkyo receiving the 2160p signal and feeding projector with 1080p.

Problem ko lang dito sa h8 plus yung hiccup sa audio. Baka papalitan ko ng ibang unit or upgrade sa Q5 or Q10 which have different chipset

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2017 at 02:38 PM »
that's nice re: NMT video --> AVR -- > projector

this thread is resolved and may be closed then hehe

hoping Himedia users from the other thread can help you... =))  though, I might dig deeper first with its audio configuration.

Offline fujiwara

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017 at 01:39 AM »
Bakit po kya delay ang audio sa buka ng bibig. Im using onkyo 343. Is it the HDMI problem or the amp itself?

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #25 on: Jun 21, 2017 at 03:34 PM »
I am planning to buy a dolby atmos.dts x receiver. Question, is it necessary for me to buy speakers with dolby atmos or dts x capability to enjoy a dolby atmos audio environment or i can also enjoy a dolby atmos with my existing normal speakers.?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 22, 2017 at 09:58 AM »
I am planning to buy a dolby atmos.dts x receiver. Question, is it necessary for me to buy speakers with dolby atmos or dts x capability to enjoy a dolby atmos audio environment or i can also enjoy a dolby atmos with my existing normal speakers.?

you may use a normal speaker -- may be a satellite or a small bookshelf will do.  just wall-mount it atop your front speakers and configure as front heights from your ATMOS-capable receiver

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #27 on: Jun 23, 2017 at 02:41 PM »
you may use a normal speaker -- may be a satellite or a small bookshelf will do.  just wall-mount it atop your front speakers and configure as front heights from your ATMOS-capable receiver
Yun! thanks bro!  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline LouPah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #28 on: Jul 11, 2017 at 07:55 AM »

Me too! I am eyeing on DENON AVR-X1300W  which is Dolby Atmos capable receiver or the DENON AVR-X2300W, but it has a big price difference. Coming from Yamaha RX-V440 6.1 channels 14 years ago. Pretty old receiver but still working fine, only that the front lcd monitor panel is dead. So I think it's time to upgrade now. Does anybody here in pdvd already using or tried DENON AVR-X1300W ? What's your thoughts?

Offline mhacman

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 11, 2017 at 03:00 PM »
was a denon x1300w owner... I'm a very satisfied user and would recommend it highly.

if you won't need 2 HDMI out, won't need the ISF certification (for video calibration) and won't blast the volume to max, the x1300W would fit you just fine.  it is already loud enough to fill 25sqm at half-volume..

check the Denon amp thread here in PDVD, sir!