Author Topic: Help a newbie setup a simple sound system  (Read 942 times)

Offline Peorth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Help a newbie setup a simple sound system
« on: Mar 03, 2017 at 10:14 PM »
Greetings, I'm a new member here and I specifically joined this forum to seek advice. Seeing the posts and the stuff here, it seems I'm in the right place.  :D

I was thinking of setting up a sound system for our living room to replace an old sound system (centered around a Pioneer A-616 stereo integrated amp) on its last legs. It's producing sounds that are distinctly "unmusical" and needs dire replacement. The living room is medium-sized but we never turn up speakers too loud because we live in a very quiet neighborhood. That's why I figure floorstanders are probably not needed and decent bookshelf speakers might do the trick.

In terms of sources, I only need two, FM radio and Bluetooth. I no longer listen to the former but my parents do. We have a bunch of CDs but the CD player conked out so I ripped all of them to MP3s and placed them on an iPod. It's also far more convenient. The circa-1980's amp obviously doesn't have BT but my brother bought us a Bluetooth receiver so that the iPod can be used to stream the MP3s. We also have a bunch of vinyls but no longer play them; I dunno if our old Technics (an SL-something model) turntable is even working.

Regarding the aims for the system, it doesn't need to be that "Hi-fi" since it won't be used for critical listening. It's mainly for my parents who listen to classical music and old stuff, and occasionally for me, when I want to listen to some music while eating (the dining area is just adjacent to the living room). I'm targeting a budget of 40k, though I can probably hit 60k if it's worth it.

Lastly, I do have some attachment to good audio but it's only for mobile stuff. I have a Unique Melody Miracle, a 6-driver custom in-ear monitor (worth 1000$ a few years ago) and a Westone 4 IEM and I'm planning to get a FiiO X5 3rd generation digital audio player once it's in stock this March. It has aptX Bluetooth so I figure the receiver for the new system should have aptX support.

That said, suggestions are very welcome because I know very little about audio setups that aren't for mobile use. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2017 at 10:16 PM by Peorth »

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Re: Help a newbie setup a simple sound system
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2017 at 10:56 PM »
Check out Emotiva BasX T100. It has everything you need but you have to add a Bluetooth Aptx module. At $399 plus cost of the module, you will still have more funds left for a nice pair of bookshelf speakers. Just contact local Emotiva dealers or you can buy direct from Emotiva.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2017 at 10:57 PM by mbtorn »

Offline Peorth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM »
Finally ended up with these for my first foray into audio that isn't mobile:

(Q Acoustics Concept 20 + NAD D 3020 amplifier). Got these from resident_evil from the marketplace.

Well, what can I say, they sound astounding and my parents (I bought these for them), especially my dad, really likes them.

The corresponding stands of the Concept 20's are priced at a ridiculous 21k (it's only 12k converted from prices abroad) so I made do with a B&W stand that was modded. The Concept 20's are bolted firmly to the stand so they won't fall easily, which is something I fear if it's just placed on top of a stand:.

Original stand:

Modded stand:

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017 at 10:22 PM by Peorth »

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2017 at 10:30 PM »
congrats sir. ganda ng stand mo.. gawa ka na ng thread sa HT picture gallery for your gears..