Author Topic: No Signal Issue  (Read 2959 times)

Offline dimfer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
No Signal Issue
« on: Jun 16, 2017 at 01:13 PM »
Hi Folks,

I hope somebody can help me figure this out.

I started my HT setup with an LG HTIB , PS3 and Epson 8700 UB about 5 yrs ago. This setup served me well for around 3 yrs. In Jan 2016, I decided to revamp the setup a little bit, gave the HTIB to my daughter and got an Onkyo TN-NR737 from London Drugs. I also added an NVidia Shield to do streaming. Aside from the new receiver and the addition of the streamer, I basically kept everything else the same. I was happily living with it for over a year, then I started to occasionally get this 'NoSignal' notice that will show on the bottom left corner of the screen - and simultaneously lose audio and video.The receiver front panel will also flicker a little, similar to changing input. The signal does not automatically return, after restarting the PJ, receiver and the Nvidia, things would return to normal and I could normally continue watching. I also noticed that as of March, this problem started to appear more often. Until recently, I almost cannot use the HT.

I contacted Onkyo, the technical support concluded that this is happening because the HDMI cable from the receiver is longer than 16'. I argued that the system worked for more than a year, and also for more than 3 yrs with the much cheaper LG HTIB. They insisted that I should either shorten the HDMI cable or get a signal booster. First suggestion is impossible to implement, so I went ahead with signal booster.

I played around with the booster, didn't help. I also tried firmware update, then a reset and a hard restart.. still having problem..

I think my last resort is to pull out the receiver and send it for repair. I'd really hate to do this because it's a pain to hook up all the wires and so on. Onkyo guys are stil insisting it is caused by something else..

any thoughts or opinion?
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: No Signal Issue
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2017 at 01:16 PM »
possible HDMI nga.  test with a shorter HDMI cable connected to your PJ.  Cables also deteriorate through time.  If signal is received, you need to replace the current 16' + cable.

Another cable test is to plug the receiver side connector directly to a source (BD, DVD, NMT), and see if there is signal.  This is to isolate if the problem is cable or AVR.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2017 at 01:18 PM by paolorenzo »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2017 at 01:24 PM »
dimfer,

sakit ng Onkyo yan. the dreaded HDMI board issue.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2017 at 03:23 PM »
I had similar problem recently, turns out its the HDMI cable that I've been using for quite a while. Replaced it and no issues now.

By the way, I am using a relatively old Onkyo 808 ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2017 at 04:00 PM »
wires are only pull & plug from the receiver... this is your chance of major clean up of any accumulating dusts and you'd be able check your wire qualities at the same time.

isolation is the key -- on your end.  change HDMI (mind of the version, try a higher one) before sending the AVR out for checking which would cause you further inconvenience.  with everything else done and you're still encountering the same symptoms, then get a professional diagnosing of both your PJ and Onkyo.   your 737 may still be under warranty, so consider the timing when you'd bring it for diagnosis

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2017 at 05:46 PM »
dimfer,

sakit ng Onkyo yan. the dreaded HDMI board issue.

I suspect this is the problem kasi parang lumala.

Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2017 at 05:55 PM »
guys, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Hmm, I think I have some work to do. I'd really hate to pullout the receiver from it's current location kasi apektado pati yung ibang 2 channel stuff ko kaya I will try to isolate muna kung hdmi cable nga, as suggested.

I will put a small tv on the short hdmi coming from the receiver later today, I should have done that before getting the booster.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2017 at 08:12 PM »
HDMI board receiver, try nalang to test step by step baka Cable issue lang naman (hopefully). Thats always the problem of pulling out everything & re-installing back again ang daming wires at sakit pa sa lower back natin  :D
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2017 at 09:47 PM »
same thing nangyari sa Onkyo ko, HDMI board problem na..hopefully yung sayo sana cable lang.

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2017 at 12:03 AM »
HDMI board receiver, try nalang to test step by step baka Cable issue lang naman (hopefully). Thats always the problem of pulling out everything & re-installing back again ang daming wires at sakit pa sa lower back natin  :D

very true...masakit na nga kahit walang ginagawa, di Lalo na pag maghapong naka tuwad

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2017 at 12:04 AM »
same thing nangyari sa Onkyo ko, HDMI board problem na..hopefully yung sayo sana cable lang.

fortunately under 2 yr warranty pa... pero sana nga cable lang

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM »
I hooked up a small tv, no problem , two hrs na

Onkyo 737 has usb 2.0 epson has usb 1.3 terminal, I will get a backward compatible usb 2.0 cable

Offline wild_swan73

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Collector
  • I'm not a Saint, it's only ME...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2017 at 02:48 PM »
very true...masakit na nga kahit walang ginagawa, di Lalo na pag maghapong naka tuwad

;)
Yamaha RX-V1500, YP-B4, YST-SW515, NS-50F, NS-P70, Pioneer BD140, Pioneer DV-600, Egreat R6S Pro

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2017 at 11:45 PM »
Onkyo receiver to tv with short cable worked for 2 hrs no problem

Onkyo receiver to projector using the old cable setup (32' plus 6') works for a few seconds then will lose signal

Onkyo receiver to splitter/booster then to 25' of hdmi 2.0 cable to projector will not work at all

Blu Ray player direct to 6' of hdmi 1.3 to splitter/booster to the old 32' of hdmi 1.3 to projector is working with no problem

therefore:
it is not the old hdmi cable
it is not the projector
possibly the Onkyo receiver - but why did it work with the short cable and tv?

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 12:13 AM »
after I posted above, blu player to projector started to lose signal intermittently

then after a while it stopped completely..

could it be the hdmi board on the projector?

I will try blu ray player to new hdmi 2.0 to projector configuration

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 12:52 AM »
I replaced the hdmi cable..

hdmi 2.0 - worked about a minute the lost the signal again. I think it is the hdmi board on the projector now...darn

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 07:17 AM »
Try to attach the small TV on the Projector-side end of the HDMI.  Use extender/booster on that end, as needed.  If that works ok, then it's the projector...

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 08:36 AM »
I forgot to mention that I had a short run of hdmi 1.3 and was attaching the long runs of hdmi 1.3 and 2.0 before.

first, I removed the short run on the blu ray player first and attached 25' rn of hdmi 2.0.. worked for over an hour with no problem

woohoo

then I hooked the same 25' of hdmi 2.0 directly to the receiver, no problem again

then, I bought a 50' run of hdmi 2.0 again (because 25' is not long enough) and hooked it directly to between the receiver and the projector.. been running for 2 hours now without a problem.

I think the original long run of hdmi 1.3 went bad, then the system rejected the combination of short run of hdmi 1.3 extended by long run of hdmi 2.0.. when I used only one long run of hdmi 2.0. the problem went away.

Thanks goodness I didn't have to replace the receiver, nor the projector.

I am investigating Emotiva products though

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 08:40 AM »
Try to attach the small TV on the Projector-side end of the HDMI.  Use extender/booster on that end, as needed.  If that works ok, then it's the projector...

did attached a small tv in end of the short run of hdmi from the processor - worked ok. I was not able to try the tv on the pj end after the 25' run because that cable was still in the raceway. I did not want to pull it out unless I am 100% sure I have to replace it. Now I know I have to, this is in my next to do list

Offline paolorenzo

• DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 09:03 AM »
Congratulations sir.  HDMI cables do deteriorate through time, so it should also be one of the first things to check.

Now that you have HDMI 2.0 cabling, baka mapalitan na rin ang end-components para fully 4K na.  ;)

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM »
Congratulations sir.  HDMI cables do deteriorate through time, so it should also be one of the first things to check.

Now that you have HDMI 2.0 cabling, baka mapalitan na rin ang end-components para fully 4K na.  ;)

thanks..

thought about upgrading projector for a minute, and if I requested my wife to do so, papayag naman segurong maging belated fathers day gift.. Epson 5040UB or the Optoma UHD65 came to mind hehehe, but I have other priorities ngayon..

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 07:23 PM »
Ok na HDMI Cable lang source of all the backpains pala   ;D

Offline shoktongxxx

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #22 on: Jun 20, 2017 at 08:43 PM »
congrats buti at hdmi cable lang naging problem. :)

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 25, 2017 at 05:30 PM »
done, after 4 days of testing, confirmed nga na hdmi cable lang pala ang problema.. can't believe hdmi cables go bad, now I know it does.

I pulled the old cable out of the raceway and inserted the new one. room is still a mess because our daughter and her friends are also using the room to make their costumes for the next animethon, wife still won't go to the basement because she doesn't like to see our mess.

I also just brought in my 2 new powered subs, will take the opportunity to rearrange my stuff and insert the new IC's
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2017 at 11:10 PM by dimfer »

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 25, 2017 at 06:05 PM »
Congratz Brader sa new 2 ULTRA 16's :o

More Bass-Pain este Back-Pain pala to come,  ;D

Offline dimfer

• Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 25, 2017 at 11:09 PM »
thanks

they're in.. not bad.. the VSA Shockwave 15's are actually heavier