Author Topic: Bliss (2017 film)  (Read 13839 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
Bliss (2017 film)
« on: May 14, 2017 at 01:24 AM »
BLISS ****
Cast: Iza Calzado, Ian Veneracion, TJ Trinidad, Shamaine Buencamino, Audie Gemora, Adrienne Vergara, Michael de Mesa.
Dir: Jerrold Tarog.

After an actress injures herself on the set of her latest film, strange, disturbing start to happen in her life. To say more would be to spoil the film, and one of the joys of seeing this is watching it unfold. This is not only the best Filipino film of 2017 so far, it's one of the best films of the year so far period. After beautifully tackling a romantic drama (Sana Dati) and a historical epic (Heneral Luna), Jerrold Tarog gives probably his best work in this superb mind-bending psychosexual thriller. It is a narratively and stylistically ambitious film, drawing inspirations as varied as Ingmar Bergman and Satoshi Kon. And he pulls it off beautifully. The film keeps you guessing and puts you at the edge of your seats. Definitely a must-see.

P.S. This was rated X upon initial review and later R-18 without cuts in the second review. I don't understand how this got an X in the first place. Yes, there's nudity, sex and violence in it but nothing so graphic as to warrant an X from a reasonable normal adult.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
Re: Bliss (2017 film)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017 at 06:09 PM »
I think this movie will polarize audiences. Some may find it much too "mind-boggling" & may not have enough patience to go with it until the very end. Even at the Eastwood screening I attended, audience reactions were mixed; I heard some comments of "ang corny.....", "ang gulo....." and "hindi ko maintindihan....." to people clapping in approval when the credits rolled.

With regards to the "controversial" MTRCB rating, I think it does not merit an X, but it does warrant an R-18, not for the nudity & violence per se, but more for the disturbing presentation & mature themes.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017 at 11:37 PM »
Frankly, I don't get the "ang gulo" criticism. I think the film is quite clear in the end. I love that it allows the audience to work, to figure out what's going on. It's like Black Swan.

Offline nogie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017 at 08:47 AM »

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger