Author Topic: Full HD OLED or 4k UHD LED TV  (Read 2653 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Full HD OLED or 4k UHD LED TV
« on: Dec 01, 2017 at 07:55 PM »
I was eyeing the Sony 55 X9000 and I found the LG Full HD OLED TV 55EG9A7T at the same price range (P70K).

Would you go for the SONY 4K UHD or a Full HD only LG OLED TV?
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2017 at 07:57 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline Davenport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 198
Re: Full HD OLED or 4k UHD LED TV
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2017 at 08:08 PM »
Sony X9000.

Offline espionage

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2017 at 08:39 PM »
@ nerveblocker you might wanna check Carlo's review on Sony 90/X9000,
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,215744.0.html
Hth! ;)
Samsung 65" NU7100 | Onkyo TXSR608 | Zidoo X9S | AMD HTPC | PS4 | A-Audio FS | WH3 CS | Daichi Surr

Offline espionage

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2017 at 08:41 PM »
Samsung 65" NU7100 | Onkyo TXSR608 | Zidoo X9S | AMD HTPC | PS4 | A-Audio FS | WH3 CS | Daichi Surr

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 12:40 AM »
Normally, i stick to the 3 most important qualifications for a good TV:

1. Contrast ratio
2. Colour saturation
3. Resolution

In numbers 1 and 2 the OLED will have the advantage as the panel will deliver deeper blacks and therefore yield better looking colours. On the flip-side the Sony we are talking about is not yer ordinary LED TV. It has a very good contrast ratio and one of the best, if not the best rendition of HDR for its price range...and can almost match the C7 from LG in a bright room setting. OLEDs tend to have a lower peak brightness hence, they work their charms in darker rooms much like the plasma’s of old. Personal taste and picture preference now comes into play but between the 2? I’d go for the Sony...

Good luck.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 05:00 AM »
Thanks for the unanimous response. I was narrowing down my choices of 4k UHD TVs already when I saw the Full HD OLED so it kept me thinking thus the post.  Guess nagpa-gulo lang sya.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 06:20 AM »
i would recommend Sony X9000 ... on expert reviews, it even beats the Samsung Q7F ... LG is just trying to get rid of the old1080p HW on their inventory - if they get the price down by another 20k, that would be a different story
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 01:51 PM »
Would there be really a day and night difference between full hd vs 4k in 55inches? I know with bigger sets definitely 4k is the way to go.

Offline alx

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 04:32 PM »
parang may nakita ako yun full hd oled ng lg naging 69k nalang..

under abs-cbn

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 10:01 PM »
Would there be really a day and night difference between full hd vs 4k in 55inches? I know with bigger sets definitely 4k is the way to go.

No it won’t be night and day:) i have never seen a night and day difference since the days of going from SD to HD. Did not see a night and day difference between 720p vs 1080p. Likewise between 1080p vs 4k. Higher resolutions give you sharper, better defined pictures but these advantages begin to dissapear the further you go from the TV. HDR though in-general is a fine addition to the lot... is a hit and miss for me. Some movies look superb with it and some are just way to oversaturated and over blown.

Tis always best (despite reviews) to see the units for yourself. I do recommend the X900e simply because its a great all around performer with all the latest techs to hopefully tide you over for the next few years.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2017 at 11:47 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline mac_daddy

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 10:48 PM »
Makikigulo lang, ;D but if you were to compare the sony x900e vs the sony oled version, malaki ba difference? Or better to get the LED instead of the OLED because of the price difference?

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 10:55 PM »
No it won’t be night and day:) i have never seen a night and day difference since the days of going from SD to HD. Did not see a night and day difference between 720p vs 1080p. Likewise between 1080p vs 4k. Higher resolutions give you sharper, better defined pictures but these advantages begin to dissapear the further you go from the TV. HDR though in-general is a fine addition to the lot... is a hit and miss for me. Some movies look grear with it and some are just way to oversaturated and over blown.

Tis always best (despite reviews) to see the units for yourself. I do recommend the X900e simply because its a great all around performer with all the latest techs to hopefully tide you over for the next few years.

Thanks Carlo for the informative inputs.  After so many readings, I came across this article...

OLED TV vs 4K LED TV Which is Better 10 Point Test

"For 2017 there may be a few OLED TVs left from LG on the market with less than 4K resolution. That will change shortly, with all new models containing 4K UHD resolution. LED backlit 4K UHD TVs (including Samsung's new QLED line) are technically really still LCD TVs with a higher resolution and are taking the name 4K UHD or 4K Ultra HD. 4K LCD TV is a more appropriate name. OLED TVs will always have OLED (whether 4K or 1080p) in the title due to the panel being self-lit by Organic Light Emitting DIodes and not using an LCD panel."

If only I had the moolah, I will take a 4K UHD OLED TV anytime without batting an eyelash. 

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2017 at 10:59 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2017 at 11:02 PM »
Would 4K UHD material downscaled to 1080p be of better PQ compared to native 4K material playing on a Full HD TV?