Author Topic: Upgrading from Swans M10 - Swans M50W or HT Setup (Polk Audio S15 + Yahama AV R)  (Read 2061 times)

Offline NickiRasgo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi guys!

Sorry for making a thread, Kind of urgent. Hahah.
I only have 'til 6PM today to decide as I've given an extension for the 20% promo discount (more than usual 10%) of the Polk Audio S15, from HiFi Show promo.

I've done a lot of research but really have small time to decide since last Saturday. Hopefully more user input will finally help me to decide.

I'm currently having trouble in making a decision which speaker should I get. I now have the chance to upgrade from my Swans M10 to a Swans M50W or Polk Audio S15 + Yamaha RX-V383/483. Should I upgrade to Swans M50W? Or go directly to an HT (Polk Audio S15 + Yamaha RX-V383/483) setup instead?

Anyway here's my concerns. dilemma and considerations if I'll get an HT (Polk Audio S15 + Yamaha RX-V383/483):
- Not yet a 2.1 but I'll be buying soon a brand new or used subwoofer (about or below 10K budget), probably Polk Audio PSW10 or PSW110
- Will be 20K to 35K difference
- Power and electric consumption? AV Receiver plus subwoofer, will there be dramatically increase?
- Will only use in low to almost mid volume since I'm currently staying in condo (studio type)
- While I can manage to be able to fit it on condo, it (especially AV Receiver and a 10" subwoofer) will still consume a big space but manageable
- Won't get any speakers (center and surround) to complete the 5.1 setup anytime soon, will probably take me a year or two could be months but will be setup in province where I'm currently staying here in Manila (no space or pending if there'll be a space)
- Since about two (2) years ago, I said to myself that I'll be buying an HT soon given a chance especially if budget and space permits
- "Future proofing"
- By the way will be using mostly on my computer (games, music or movies), TV (movies) and phone/DAP (music)
- More importantly, is the sound difference really a big improvement compared to Swans M50W? When I tried the Polk Audio S15 it took me about a few minutes to have a "wow factor" while listening to it but honestly my ears are not really that "trained" when it comes to audiophile devices. I'm easily get contented and can live with an entry-level as long as I liked it although when I came back here I missed the soundings of Polk Audio S15
- I actually liked my Swans M10 but it lacks (volume and bass) and some dynamic of the sound

And here' my concerns. dilemma and considerations if I'll get the Swans M50W:
- Way way way cheaper
- Will be much easier to fit on my place
- An definitely upgrade to my Swans M10 but not sure how big aside from the volume and bass
- It has a subwoofer already
- Not a "future-proof" but will probably still use as my main computer speaker
- Is the overall sound quality comparable to an entry-level HT speakers esp. on the one I'll be choosing?

Anyways, I don't think I'll be able to use it in high volume but enough to fit the room without disturbing neighborhood.

So help me guys please. Hahah. Hopefully there are other users here who went from Swans M50W to an HT setup and have an insight for this.

Thanks!

Offline NickiRasgo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:

Offline bogart.2006

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1869
just my two cents bro...

if you're upgrading, then I wouldn't go for the Swans any more.

don't be carried away also by the discount being offered if you don't really like the Polk + Yamaha deal.  i would hold off for the set i really want.   

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 787
For speakers I recommend the Mission LX-2, they're about the same price as the Polk but I'm pretty sure they would sound better (based on my comparison with much more expensive bookshelf speakers).
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline NickiRasgo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
just my two cents bro...

if you're upgrading, then I wouldn't go for the Swans any more.

don't be carried away also by the discount being offered if you don't really like the Polk + Yamaha deal.  i would hold off for the set i really want.   

I actually liked the Polk Audio S15 that's the promk is really enticed me to go for it. It's just I'm not sure if it's worth it or just go Swans M50W instead. :(

Offline NickiRasgo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
For speakers I recommend the Mission LX-2, they're about the same price as the Polk but I'm pretty sure they would sound better (based on my comparison with much more expensive bookshelf speakers).

Just saw the Mission LX2 and a lot of people are suggesting Wharfedale 225 instead. Also, both speakers mentioned are kind of big anymore.

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
Sir narinig mo ba yung Elac bookself sa Rega showroom last hi-fi show? I can't remember the exact model pero sounded exceptional for me. Actually it could have been the best smallish bookshelf I heard that time.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Sir narinig mo ba yung Elac bookself sa Rega showroom last hi-fi show? I can't remember the exact model pero sounded exceptional for me. Actually it could have been the best smallish bookshelf I heard that time.

Brader, naka ribbon tweeter ba yung Elac na nadinig mo? Nakakabit sa Brio?
Walang Setup

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
Brader, naka ribbon tweeter ba yung Elac na nadinig mo? Nakakabit sa Brio?

Di ko na pinatanggal covers eh pero tanda ko lang numbers yung model sabi eh di debut, at nasa mid or high end model na sya. Pero the best ang combo na yun, Nautwa din mykel dun.

Naalala ko yung Usher s-520  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2017 at 02:02 PM by ndotcom »

Offline NickiRasgo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:

Elac B6 ba Sir? Na try ko siya as Spectra, mas may punch bass niya kaso mas malaki and mas mahal.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Just saw the Mission LX2 and a lot of people are suggesting Wharfedale 225 instead. Also, both speakers mentioned are kind of big anymore.

May I ask who are these people that are suggesting the Wharfedale instead?
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline NickiRasgo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
May I ask who are these people that are suggesting the Wharfedale instead?

Sa Facebook group Sir. I forgot the groups but related to an HT din.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Sa Facebook group Sir. I forgot the groups but related to an HT din.

Philippine based?
Polk Audio Reserve R200
Cambridge CXA60

Offline NickiRasgo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Philippine based?

Yes Sir. FA+. Heheh.

Medyo nagbago isip ko din eh. lol Bigla ako nag consider mag HT (5.1) instead. Hahah. Not sure if the Polk Audio S15 is fatiguing when I tested it since it's bright? Or baka puyat lang kasi ako when I auditioned a while ago.

Offline bogart.2006

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1869
The Elacs are nice...

Gusto mo ba maliit?

Offline NickiRasgo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
The Elacs are nice...

Gusto mo ba maliit?

Sana Sir. :) I'm now considering yung Wharfedale Diamond 220. Will audition it tomorrow. Heheh. Hopefully okay for me then next in line is yung Mission LX2. I'll probably get the Yamaha RX-V483 as my AVR.