Author Topic: Smaller and Smaller Circles (2017 film)  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
Smaller and Smaller Circles (2017 film)
« on: Dec 09, 2017 at 11:42 PM »
Smaller and Smaller Circles (Raya Martin) ***1/2 - This is adaptation of the F.H. Batacan novel about two Jesuit priests trying to help police track down a serial killer targeting young boys in the impoverished area of Payatas. This is the first commercial theatrical film of independent film director Raya Martin. I have to say it felt kind of weird to see a film of his outside a film festival setting. Yes, for those of you who are familiar with his work, it is a bit more of a conventional narrative however, it still somehow feels like a Raya Martin film. His style gives what would have been standard serial killer procedural more depth, heart and soul. It's a thrill ride but it also gives you something to chew on.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
Re: Smaller and Smaller Circles (2017 film)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2017 at 07:51 AM »
Excellent and well made police procedural / murder mystery / crime thriller with an effectively gripping slow burn atmosphere that draws the audience ever closer, not just to the identity of the serial killer, but also to reveal prevailing social ills of the country; from crime and poverty to government ineptitude and corruption to transgressions of the Church to sexual assault and injustice.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2017 at 02:09 AM »
My only criticism of this film is that for a movie about a serial killer never felt scared. Unlike in the book where i vaguely remember i was afraid to even turn the page because the killer had fr saenz at his mercy.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2020 at 01:54 PM »
SMALLER AND SMALLER CIRCLES - Full movie on YouTube

https://youtu.be/oqNqZJS--Bw