Author Topic: Polk Audio Magnify Mini (Short Review)  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Polk Audio Magnify Mini (Short Review)
« on: Jan 04, 2018 at 11:16 PM »
Polk Magnify Mini (Big sound from a small package)

When we buy an expensive flat panel or even a good entry level TV chances are the stock sound system doesn’t do the picture justice. It’s a fact of life and more often than not we are compelled to buy a sound bar just to get a decent feel of “cinematic” sounds that is worthy of the sights in front of us...

Most of these entry level sound bars are unfortunately, just a few steps above what the TV can already produce..Now can we or should we live with it? With the Polk Audio Magnify Mini we definitely shouldn’t. 

Just for the heck of an “improved” sound quality for my bedroom, I needed a sound bar that is small, compact and above all... can pump a decent  audio performance for as much as it’s price can take me! And boy was I surprised! But before we go to that lets take a look at the Magnify Mini’s...

Build Quality:   

Small and compact is an understatement. The Magnify Mini’s main sound bar is almost the size of a huge sandwich! Kind of like a thick foot long hot dog. The Polk devise is made of high quality plastic and despite it’s diminutive size, it’s unusually hefty! Heavier than most entry level Sony or Samsung sound bars giving off that semi-premium feel. The wireless sub has a down firing speaker which is also made of above decent plastic. All in all they look good on top of any entertainment stand and the minimalist design will blend well with most set ups (Downside being I don’t think you could mount this).

Connectivity/Features:

The Mini has an HDMI (ARC) port, an optical port, and an auxiliary port. It also has blue tooth and WIFI connections enabling you to stream net music content if that’s your stuff.

Sound Quality (Movie)

For it’s size?! The Mini packs a walloping sound that will fill up most small or mid size rooms! Playing the UHD blu ray “Dawn of Justice”, I was enthralled by the clanging sound of Batman’s steel gloves smashing against Superman’s forearms! The sound of breaking wood, metal and glass as the Man of Steel plummets to the ground were very clear and detailed. Explosions were also rumbling with  more than an adequate low frequency that you could actually feel! Separation was more than above average with very discernible directional sound. However, since the Mini does not have a set of rear speakers, a true enveloping audio experience could not be felt but hey! It’s a 2 set system and you shouldn’t expect that in the first place.     

The Codec:

The Mini supports Dolby Digital alone so make sure your video player supports conversion of DTS content to Dolby. Otherwise, the mini will play a non Dolby track in PCM and believe me it will rob all the benefits I’ve written above. PCM tracks played by the Mini sounds flat and lacking any vibrancy of quality (Warning for PS4 pro owners using the Mini as a blu ray player). The Xbox one, one X and even the older PS3 fortunately supports DTS conversion to Dolby along with most modern blu ray players and all UHD blu ray devices.   

Music Quality:

Again for a small system the Mini does pretty well for music with a powerful and clear rendition despite steep volume levels. Don’t expect the clarity of a dedicated music set up for obvious reasons but enough quality for my GF to prance and dance to the tune of “Rebel yell” in the bedroom as I write this review😛

The Remote Control:

Special mention to the cumbersome and difficult to use remote! Its just unresponsive at times, you may need a couple of presses for it to take action. Do yourself a favour by connecting the Mini via HDMI and use the TV remote instead.

Conclusion:

The saying “big things come in small packages” is truly exemplified in the Polk Audio Magnify Mini. A compact system that delivers superb sound that punches way above its weight and size class. Limited only by the fact that its not a high end system therefore could not match upper tier sound bars and full packages way above its price level.

Test set up:

Display; Samsung 40 Mu6103
Source: Xbox one X

Volume level during review: 80%
Bass level: 75%

Untested feature: Voice Adjust.

Thank you Ricky Ongkeko for the introduction and sale of this
 system.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2018 at 11:31 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Polk Audio Magnify Mini (Short Review)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018 at 11:24 PM »
Carlo donyou want to try its bigger brother , the max SR? It can do dts now and has wireless surround speakers for that clean neat setup.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018 at 11:29 PM »
Carlo donyou want to try its bigger brother , the max SR? It can do dts now and has wireless surround speakers for that clean neat setup.

Try ko pabili sa birthday ko haha

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2018 at 08:57 PM »
i second the motion on this compact but very powerful gear. ilaang beses na ko nakarinig nito. one of my officemate eto ang suggestion ko sa kanya for a small bedroom. until now hindi parin sya maka move on sa performance. hahaha

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2018 at 12:14 AM »
i second the motion on this compact but very powerful gear. ilaang beses na ko nakarinig nito. one of my officemate eto ang suggestion ko sa kanya for a small bedroom. until now hindi parin sya maka move on sa performance. hahaha

Mabilis ako partner na maka move on sa sounds...Perhaps not my thing:) Sometimes I even play my games with a muted volume:)

Offline randallsnow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2018 at 01:58 PM »
How much does this cost?

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018 at 04:27 PM »
How much does this cost?

around 23k SRP tapos 19.5k pag cash.

Offline Chancellor

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018 at 09:57 AM »
for those who have magnifi mini. is it normal even you turn off the the system and still the wireless sub is still remain in SYNC mode. thanks

Offline Chancellor

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018 at 01:35 PM »
up paki nlang doon sa mayroon magnifi mini.  i just want to know kung same din sa inyo tnx.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2018 at 10:45 AM »
for those who have magnifi mini. is it normal even you turn off the the system and still the wireless sub is still remain in SYNC mode. thanks

I didnt take note of the SYNC mode but when prolonged not in in-use it usually is in the STANDBY mode (yellow light),
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline Chancellor

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2018 at 09:35 AM »
I didnt take note of the SYNC mode but when prolonged not in in-use it usually is in the STANDBY mode (yellow light),
thank younsir sa response pa check ko yung mini ko tila may problema

Offline Chancellor

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2018 at 05:11 PM »

Ok na unit ko. Pinalitan. Kaya ok pag sa local disrtributor ka bumili
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2018 at 05:12 PM by Chancellor »

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2018 at 06:23 PM »

Ok na unit ko. Pinalitan. Kaya ok pag sa local disrtributor ka bumili

Now thats what we call GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline reignman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2018 at 06:11 AM »
Got myself this one yesterday, looking forward to a pleasant listening experience...

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2018 at 10:49 AM »
Got myself this one yesterday, looking forward to a pleasant listening experience...

May I know the current price? TIA
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline reignman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2018 at 11:45 AM »
May I know the current price? TIA
Paid in cash - Php20,700