Author Topic: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (and the Fab Five)  (Read 13376 times)

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (and the Fab Five)
« on: Apr 27, 2004 at 07:44 AM »
why hasn't anyone discussed this yet? this was my fave new show last year... a great concept with great production values and a great ensemble. i wish i had gay friends lie carson, kian, jay, thom, and ted! make me over please!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (and the Fab Five)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2004 at 01:08 PM »
make me over please!!

You can get your wish, sungit. They're starting a Queer Eye For the Straight Girl spin off soon.

So... snaps for you.  ;D

The show is very funny... for a while. Then it gets very repetitive. Here's my list of Kyan's ENTIRE set of grooming tips:

1. Apply hair product from the back. Never use a blowdryer.

2. If you have one, cut your ponytail off.

3. Don't use a disposable razor.

4. Use men's facial products on your face, never soap.

Did I miss anything?  ::)

BTW, for those in the Philippines, "Queer Eye" airs several times a week on ETC. Check this week's schedule on the ETC thread.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2004 at 01:35 PM »
second "new" episode aired last night... it featured a kosher straight guy who was planning a surprise birthday part for his wife.... jai was missing. so they had a guest expert come in for "culture"...  ;D

of the 5... the ones who impress me the most are kyan douglas and thom filicia. galeng nila!

funniest has to be carson kressley.  ;)

jai rodriguez is the most boring...  :-X

and ted allen... i dunno what to say about ted... he's like... invisible.  ^-^
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2004 at 09:32 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline taghorjix

• Apprentice
  • im broke but i'm happy
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 09:24 AM »
ive downloaded the entire season 1 and i like this show a lot!  i think Carson is the wittiest (he gives the funniest one-liners on the show) among the fab 5 and jai for me, is the "prettiest". thom on the other had is a genius.  its just unfortunate that we dont have this on our cable provider.  :'(
More than this, there is nothing

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 08:40 AM »

1. Apply hair product from the back. Never use a blowdryer.

Not always. Applying hair product from the back depends on your hair style and/or your type of hair.  ;D

Yes,  blowdryer is a no-no !

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 08:54 AM »
second "new" episode aired last night... it featured a kosher straight guy who was planning a surprise birthday part for his wife.... jai was missing. so they had a guest expert come in for "culture"...  ;D

of the 5... the ones who impress me the most are kyan douglas and thom filicia. galeng nila!

funniest has to be carson preston.  ;)

jai rodriguez is the most boring...  :-X

and ted allen... i dunno what to say about ted... he's like... invisible.  ^-^

Ok, let's clear some things up.

Of the current fab 5, only Carson and Ted are the original members.

Tom, Kyan and Jai are replacements because the others didn't gel together.

The former culture guy was a black guy ...
The former hair expert was a cutie as well .. but shorter in height.
The former interior designer was a hottie ..

The old episodes are being aired in between the new ones ... so the one you saw is probably one of the old ones.

Of the current fab 5, I find Jai the most dispensable. How could this guy give tips to a straight guy about romancing a straight gal ? Oh please !

I find Tom's designs nice .. but he is really annoying.

Ted is ok .. tolerable at best ...but some of his recipes are hard to follow since he doesn't really enumerate the ingredients or the quantity of them. It's a shame, since I think that would be helpful to everyone, gay, guy or gal. Nevermind lesbians, they don't want to cook anyway.

Carson is funny .. he can be mean, but charming in a way. He seems to really know how to dress a guy in a flattering way.

Kyan is just a hottie. I like him a lot .. five o'clock shadow,  hair flowing, in a tanning booth with a cop, sleeveless shirts, doing yoga sweating. What's not to like ?

My other gripe, they take the guys to really expensive places .. where a normal straight guy wouldn't go .. or a normal spending viewer wouldn't enter. Heck, I only go to those places when they have a sale and I could get a double bargain with a coupon !!! Sometimes, they have to be realistic .. they pick these guys with average living means, how can they expect them to maintain such expenses when they leave ? During the taping, it is ok because they sure get discounts  or even free clothes for featuring the store in the show .. but what happens after that ? Those new clothes are gonna turn to rags .. since they threw the old clothes away, these guys will be wearing them over and over.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2004 at 09:15 AM by kakabanas »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2004 at 02:36 PM »

Ok, let's clear some things up.

Of the current fab 5, only Carson and Ted are the original members.

Tom, Kyan and Jai are replacements because the others didn't gel together.

The former culture guy was a black guy ...
The former hair expert was a cutie as well .. but shorter in height.
The former interior designer was a hottie ..

The old episodes are being aired in between the new ones ... so the one you saw is probably one of the old ones.

Of the current fab 5, I find Jai the most dispensable. How could this guy give tips to a straight guy about romancing a straight gal ? Oh please !

I find Tom's designs nice .. but he is really annoying.

Ted is ok .. tolerable at best ...but some of his recipes are hard to follow since he doesn't really enumerate the ingredients or the quantity of them. It's a shame, since I think that would be helpful to everyone, gay, guy or gal. Nevermind lesbians, they don't want to cook anyway.

Carson is funny .. he can be mean, but charming in a way. He seems to really know how to dress a guy in a flattering way.

Kyan is just a hottie. I like him a lot .. five o'clock shadow,  hair flowing, in a tanning booth with a cop, sleeveless shirts, doing yoga sweating. What's not to like ?

My other gripe, they take the guys to really expensive places .. where a normal straight guy wouldn't go .. or a normal spending viewer wouldn't enter. Heck, I only go to those places when they have a sale and I could get a double bargain with a coupon !!! Sometimes, they have to be realistic .. they pick these guys with average living means, how can they expect them to maintain such expenses when they leave ? During the taping, it is ok because they sure get discounts  or even free clothes for featuring the store in the show .. but what happens after that ? Those new clothes are gonna turn to rags .. since they threw the old clothes away, these guys will be wearing them over and over.

i taped the episode... and it was jai on the opening credits. but in the actual show, some black guy was the expert for culture and in the closing billboard he was credited as a "guest expert"... but i could definitely see the problem, he really wasn't gelling with the other 4. i would never have though this was an old episode tho. i just figured jai was probably off onstage somewhere.  ;)

did thom drop the "h"? (but yeah... it's still pronounced <tom>....  ;D) conan was making fun of it when the 5 guested on his show. :P

and yup. kyan is probably the most "movie-star-looking" of all the 5. (dapat lang naman ata... he's the "grooming guru" right?)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2004 at 03:08 AM »
Sorry, it is still Thom ... I just didn't care for the guy which explains the missing "h". I could spell his name Homo, and still read it as Tom .. no difference to me.  O0

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2004 at 09:35 PM »
after some research... the original fab 5 were:

ted allen: food & wine
carson kressley: fashion
charlie dabour: interior design*
sam spector: grooming*
james hannaham: culture*

* a.k.a the "less than fabulous three" who were eventually replaced.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2004 at 09:41 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004 at 05:20 AM »
The original culure guy .. the African American you saw, sued the producers of QAF last year. I don't know what heppened to that case.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004 at 09:58 PM »
The original culure guy .. the African American you saw, sued the producers of QAF last year. I don't know what heppened to that case.

he sued the "queer as folk" producers? why? is he involved with that show rin?

the original culture guy, james, is also black ... but the black guy i was referring to in my earlier posts (he makes an appearance again in tonight's episode) was named blair... i guess this means blair really was a "guest" expert and just filling in for jai. :P

ETC hasn't aired the first episode yet... so i haven't really seen these guys in action.  :)

« Last Edit: May 03, 2004 at 10:12 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004 at 11:32 PM »
ETC hasn't aired the first episode yet... so i haven't really seen these guys in action.

This pilot wasn't aired in order in the States, either. It just debuted 1 episode ago. The episode has Carson, Ted and the producers reminiscing about how it all started.

Ted did say the reason for the cast change was that they were all based in Boston, and it was only him and Carson who didn't have other jobs there and were available to make the move to New York.

But that might just be the "official" story.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004 at 11:43 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004 at 05:59 AM »

he sued the "queer as folk" producers? why? is he involved with that show rin?

oops, i meant queer eye producers ...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004 at 03:57 PM »

This pilot wasn't aired in order in the States, either. It just debuted 1 episode ago. The episode has Carson, Ted and the producers reminiscing about how it all started.

Ted did say the reason for the cast change was that they were all based in Boston, and it was only him and Carson who didn't have other jobs there and were available to make the move to New York.

But that might just be the "official" story.  ::)

ah... so butch (carpenter guy) was really the first epsiode... then followed by adam (kosher guy) then tom (metal guy).

it was hilarious how carson kept "making the moves" on tom last night. i kept wondering if he was actually serious with the "make-out" comments. felt really sorry for the guy. :o :o :o

interesting tips from last night:

kyan : (on perfumes) "spray... delay... then walk away" 
ted' : (on cooking fish) "6oz.... 400 degree oven... 10 mins..."
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004 at 04:00 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004 at 04:24 PM »
My wife was looking forward to seeing this and we finally caught the episode with the long-haired dude.

Kressley is so hilarious parang parlor gay, hehe. The wife and I were laughing our butts off when, after he saw the guy's girlfriend, he quipped "Somewhere, a hooker in Trenton is asking for her boots back."

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004 at 12:22 AM »
My wife was looking forward to seeing this and we finally caught the episode with the long-haired dude.

Kressley is so hilarious parang parlor gay, hehe. The wife and I were laughing our butts off when, after he saw the guy's girlfriend, he quipped "Somewhere, a hooker in Trenton is asking for her boots back."

LOL... that comment was one of the highlights of that epsiode...

i was also laughing hysterically at "when it's down... it's jesus. when it's up... it's (all the guys together) KIRSTIE ALLEY!"

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004 at 01:41 PM »
a friend of mine showed me this book yesterday...

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy:
The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better

it was a funny read! a nice coffeetable book to read with lots of pictures and funny quips. (and if you don't like to read... there's always the abridged audio version where the guys read their own sections!  ;D)

carson's was the funniest part... ted's chapter made me hungry. ganda nung pics ng pagkain!... thom and kyan's was okay, the tips were interesting... and jai's was just plain zzzzzzzzzz.  :)

one of the tips that cracked me up: (on jeans) "andy warhol wore jeans to the white house. but then you're probably no andy warhol. and you're probably not going to the white house either."
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 08:28 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Ikiru

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004 at 03:36 PM »

Both parties reached a settlement last year according to Entertainment Weekly.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2004 at 09:46 PM »
All new episodes next month ! Sweet !

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2004 at 04:49 PM »
ASTIG ASTIG ASTIG!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 08:35 AM »
this week's episode was one of the more interesting ones to come in a while ...

i wasn't really dazzled with the fab5's work here since the straight guy was, after all, an ex-model. plus the wife and kids were there, so carson seemed exceptionally well-behaved. LOL.  >:D

the transformation of the guy, however, was great. like day and night... they kept saying he looked a lot like david bowie. personally, i'd say he was a dead ringer for richard chamberlain... but that's just me.  ;)

p.s. was it just me but wasn't the daughter HOT or what??!!

saw thom on oprah yesterday ... he was one of "TV's hottest makeover men". and  he arrived in really red jeans and a pink shirt with a glitter belt as an accesory. go figure!  :P
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 08:35 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #21 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 11:19 AM »
so carson seemed exceptionally well-behaved. LOL.  >:D

the transformation of the guy, however, was great. like day and night... they kept saying he looked a lot like david bowie. personally, i'd say he was a dead ringer for richard chamberlain... but that's just me.  ;)

p.s. was it just me but wasn't the daughter HOT or what??!!

The Fab 5 were well-behaved than usual because they liked the entire family. That's why we got less snarkage than usual from them this ep.

Yup, I thought he kinda looked like Richard Chamberlain too.

And yup, the daughter was a definite hottie--so, so pretty, perhaps the prettiest young thing we've ever seen on the show--no wonder even Carson found her irresistible that she was asked to tag along when they went shopping.

I can't wait for the Christmas reunion episode...in 2 weeks yata.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 11:23 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 12:34 PM »
Speaking of Queer Eye, this week in the States, they did their first makeover on a Pinoy, Chris Lim.

Here are the highlights: Chris L. - Never Too Late To Celebrate: Worth The Wait
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:20 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 01:05 PM »
ack! Mr. Hankey, your link went straight to the "after"; daya, spoiler yan ah...  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:22 PM »
Hey, you're right! I fixed that already, thanks...

Though... can a show like this actually be spoiled?  ;D

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 11:53 AM »
Though... can a show like this actually be spoiled?  ;D

LOL.

Well, I still like to be surprised at the way they look after the makeover, which is why my best episode is still the Brian "Butch" Schepel episode--the change there was so dramatic, it sort of raised the bar for the succeeding episodes.

Offline Ikiru

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2004 at 03:49 PM »

LOL.

My best episode is still the Brian "Butch" Schepel episode--the change there was so dramatic, it sort of raised the bar for the succeeding episodes.

Second the motion. Pre-Fab5, he looked like a blond version of WWE's The Undertaker.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 12:55 AM »
hmmmm... mukhang pumalpak ata si carson and kyan in last night's episode.  ::)

geez! the guy ended up looking like carrie bradshaw's gay best friend: STANFORD BLATCH (brilliantly played by willie garson)!

i wonder if they'll air the hollywood reunion next!  :P
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2004 at 01:00 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 05:51 AM »
I know! He looks and acts more gay than the fab 5! ;D

The guy is a lawyer, he could probably afford hair plugs. He's in the wrong make over show, dapat sa Extreme Makeover sila sumulat. Maybe they just wanted to have the house done because Thom is a genius, add-on na lang yung straight guy make-over. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2004 at 05:54 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2004 at 09:58 AM »
i just saw the Fab Five do a lovely wedding reception. it was so beautifully decorated... plus the couple was pinoy pa!