Author Topic: ideal picture settings  (Read 1651 times)

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
ideal picture settings
« on: Feb 27, 2018 at 11:50 PM »
hi ...  what is an ideal picture setting for a SONY KD-49X7500E to better appreciate 4k Bds - besides choosing settings like "Vivid" or "Cinema Pro" ?

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
Re: ideal picture settings
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2018 at 08:01 AM »
Don't know if this will help but try calibrating it using these settings and see if it works for you:-

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x720e/settings

Slightly different model but same series. Or you can try the calibration for the older model:-

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x750d/settings

Thinking the first link is your best bet. Hope this helps. don't own this model. I own the Sony x9000e which just got delivered and will be calibrating it this weekend.

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2018 at 12:01 AM »
Don't know if this will help but try calibrating it using these settings and see if it works for you:-

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x720e/settings

Slightly different model but same series. Or you can try the calibration for the older model:-

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x750d/settings

Thinking the first link is your best bet. Hope this helps. don't own this model. I own the Sony x9000e which just got delivered and will be calibrating it this weekend.

thanks for the feedback .. will try the 1st link ... :) ... really just wanted to know if what i'm viewing is indeed truly 4k ..
got an x-box 1s to play my 4k bds which i hooked up to  my Onkyo TX-NR515 (which can do 4k upscaling) ... when playing 4k bds, the info on the screen says its 4196x2160/24p ( is this 4k already?).. btw, with this resolution, does it mean im using the correct hdmi cable version?
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018 at 12:06 AM by stryder »

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2018 at 02:56 AM »
Normally, one should always use the movie or cinema modes of the TV. They are often the most accurate rendition of a picture. Even there you should remove all sorts of image enhancements to get a natural definition. Also, these modes are well paired with a darker room enviroment.

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2018 at 07:34 AM »
Normally, one should always use the movie or cinema modes of the TV. They are often the most accurate rendition of a picture. Even there you should remove all sorts of image enhancements to get a natural definition. Also, these modes are well paired with a darker room enviroment.
thank you sir .. yes, it's a dark room environment .. i guess ill just have to get used to using the cinema mode ( there's 2 settings for this - pro and home ).. sanay kasi ako sa vivid settings where everything is bright and vibrant;) . .
btw sir carlo - ok lang ba yun connection connection ko >XBOX > Onkyo TX-NR515  > TV? 
  or dapat ba XBOX >TV then use OPTICAL OUT of TV to Onkyo TX-NR515 

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2018 at 09:45 AM »
thank you sir .. yes, it's a dark room environment .. i guess ill just have to get used to using the cinema mode ( there's 2 settings for this - pro and home ).. sanay kasi ako sa vivid settings where everything is bright and vibrant;) . .
btw sir carlo - ok lang ba yun connection connection ko >XBOX > Onkyo TX-NR515  > TV? 
  or dapat ba XBOX >TV then use OPTICAL OUT of TV to Onkyo TX-NR515 

Nice one you’re getting used to the cinema mode kasi yan naman talaga how the film maker intended his/her creation/s to be watched. After getting use to it you’ll find the vivid setting way to garish for your eyes:)

Keep shapness no more than mid point. Anything more than that will create artifacts and the only gain will be an artificially “sharper” picture.

About the audio boss i’m not really familiar with them but an hdmi connection to audio is better than optical. Unless optical is your only choice.

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2018 at 11:54 AM »
Nice one you’re getting used to the cinema mode kasi yan naman talaga how the film maker intended his/her creation/s to be watched. After getting use to it you’ll find the vivid setting way to garish for your eyes:)

Keep shapness no more than mid point. Anything more than that will create artifacts and the only gain will be an artificially “sharper” picture.

About the audio boss i’m not really familiar with them but an hdmi connection to audio is better than optical. Unless optical is your only choice.

yes sir - i too believe hdmi is way better than optical... after reading uli yun manual last nyte i think i got at what the manual was trying to drive at - tungkol kasi yun topic sa ARC compatibility ... probably yun optical connection is merely a way to output the sound from the tv to the AVR ...

btw sir, if ill set the picture mode to CINEMA (pro or home), do i still need to tweak yun ibang settings per link1 above as provided by sir questforthegoodlife ?

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2018 at 03:44 PM »
Well my friend it will now depend on your preferabce or what looks good for you moving forward now that you’ve got the basics set in.

The basics are:

1. Setting the picture of  your TV to as accurate as the movie maker intended the film to be presented and that is setting the picture to “Cinema”.
2. Removing any form of picture processing to make the film more natural.

From there you can play with the backlight setting depending on your lighting conditions. Set the color to your liking as long as it does not bleed. You can play with the Gamma (-) to gain deeper blacks as long as it does not crush details (+) if the picture becomes too dark just as long as your Blacks do not become more grey because it will present a pale looking picture. At the end of the trail with these parameters you can just simply go with what is pleasing to your eyes.

Oh and set your Xbox to output “limited RGB” or “standard color space” since you’re not using a PC monitor.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018 at 03:49 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2018 at 04:42 PM »
Well my friend it will now depend on your preferabce or what looks good for you moving forward now that you’ve got the basics set in.

The basics are:

1. Setting the picture of  your TV to as accurate as the movie maker intended the film to be presented and that is setting the picture to “Cinema”.
2. Removing any form of picture processing to make the film more natural.

From there you can play with the backlight setting depending on your lighting conditions. Set the color to your liking as long as it does not bleed. You can play with the Gamma (-) to gain deeper blacks as long as it does not crush details (+) if the picture becomes too dark just as long as your Blacks do not become more grey because it will present a pale looking picture. At the end of the trail with these parameters you can just simply go with what is pleasing to your eyes.

Oh and set your Xbox to output “limited RGB” or “standard color space” since you’re not using a PC monitor.

Cheers!

Yes, just echoing what you said and to reinforce that you can adjust it (like the settings above, no need to follow it to the letter if you feel the colors are off.) You have the basics already. tweak it to your preference.

My Sony x9000e has been delivered and will be wall mounted tomorrow in the bedroom. will tweak the settings this saturday. Using it as a pc monitor - to play games and watch netflix. I did not subscribe to sky or cignal. Will post my setup in the appropriate thread.

Offline stryder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2018 at 11:47 PM »
finally got the connection right this time ... had to connect directly my xbox to the sony tv for the xbox settings to recognize that my tv is 4k hdr capable .. kasi sa una the xbox was hooked up to the  onkyo avr (capable of 4k upscaling) - kaya pala yun xbox didnt recognize  the tv as 4k...buti na lang napansin ko info sa xbox settings which says connecting thru an avr will have that result.. kaya lang i have to use optical connection between my tv and avr  for the audio , otherwise, sa tv speaker output na sound.. ok naman..

and for video - just stick to CINEMA .. thats  it .. wala na tweaks ginawa sa ibang settings