Author Topic: Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino (by Lav Diaz)  (Read 15030 times)

Offline commentary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino (by Lav Diaz)
« on: Apr 27, 2004 at 04:28 PM »
Ten years after it's March 1994 first day shooting Lav Diaz' Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino is finally near completion.  Rough cut is good and done; final cut will be ready in one month.  Final Rough Cut Running Time: 8 Hours.

Sit tight folks...
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2004 at 04:29 PM by commentary »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino (by Lav Diaz)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 04:37 PM »
Time: 8 hours

At that length, it better be just as good or even better that Batang West Side. I can't wait. Finally...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2004 at 08:08 PM »
I'm definitely sure this new movie by Lav Diaz will never be release again commercially in theatres.

I'm still dying up to now to watch on the big screen his BATANG WESTSIDE.

8 hours...that's 2-3 movies in one sitting including the trailers, commercials.  ;D

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2004 at 09:57 AM »
I'm still hoping and wishing Batang West Side will be released on DVD or VCD. I have seen his Kriminal ng Bo. Concepcion and Hubad sa Ilalim Ng Buwan and he is one of the foremost groundbreaking directors in Philippine Cinema today.

Here's the latest on the movie:

Lav Diaz’s Ebolusyon At The Toronto Int’l Film Festival

Meanwhile, I just got the following report from Funfare’s Toronto-based "international correspondent" Ferdinand Lapuz on how he "survived" Lav Diaz’s nine-hour opus, Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino, at the recently concluded Toronto International Film Festival (non-competition):

"This is going to be the most challenging assignment I’ve ever had as a film critic," said a Variety reviewer as he entered the combined press/public screening of Lav Diaz’s Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino (Evolution of a Filipino Family) last Sept. 17 at the Jackman Hall Theater, as published in the Toronto Star the day after.

Ebolusyon had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival last week with direk Lav and producer Paul Tanedo in attendance. It was one of the most anticipated titles in the festival because of its unusual length. For the first time since 1994, only one Filipino film made it to North America’s largest film event.

Last Sept. 18, I prepared myself to sit for nine hours for the second screening at the Varsity Theater VIP Room 3. I arrived early and met direk Lav and Paul. To their surprise, VIP Room 3 was sold out. They added VIP Room 2 to accommodate other festival-goers who were eager to see Diaz’s latest masterpiece.

Armed with one bottle of water, a chicken sandwich, hopias and some cookies I entered VIP Room 2 at 12:30 p.m. The screening lasted until 10:30 p.m. The festival program was wrong! The film was 10 hours long and not nine hours as stated. Watching the Gallardo family evolve from the 1970s to the 1980s was a great cinematic experience.

I surprised myself that I was able to endure sitting in the theater for 10 hours with only quick breaks to the washroom. I am used to having hefty lunch and dinner with rice and ulam but during the screening, I forgot my hunger and focused on the film. I think this worked on my part as I was engrossed in the film and got involved with the film’s characters.

I can truly say that Angie Ferro, Ronnie Lazaro, Lui Manansala and Pen Medina delivered the performances of their careers. I won’t be surprised if they will be given recognition for their tour de force acting. The newcomers, mostly with theater backgrounds, who were Angie’s granddaughters and Ronnie and Lui’s adopted sons, were equally splendid. Direk Lav told me after the screening that singer Roeder played Bendo, the mute son. You can’t help but laugh at their own sign language in several scenes.

I would also like to mention that the late actor Ray Ventura was equally good in his last but brief performance. Appearing in short but memorable roles were Joel Torre, Angel Aquino, Hammy Sotto and Gino Dormiendo in the role of the late Lino Brocka.

I told direk Lav that he did a perfect casting for the role of Raynaldo who served as the link in the story. To my surprise, he said that the same actor performed both roles. He forgot his last name, but Erwin was maybe seven or eight years old, taken out of the Smokey Mountain to shoot the earlier part of the film. When they resumed production last year, direk Lav looked for Erwin again for him to play the same role he portrayed in the unfinished film.

The film showed Filipino’s fascination with radio drama series. Direk Lav was not contented with showing the characters just listening to the radio; there were scenes showing the actors on the radio program.

I have never seen how radio drama series are done so it was such a delight to see the actual production process. Well, as a bonus, I was able to listen to Eddie Peregrina’s hit single Together Again in one scene.

In the festival book, programmer Steve Gravestock wrote that "Ebolusyon is epic in scope, reach and length. Photographed in black and white and relying almost exclusively on natural sound (there is no score), Ebolusyon was shot over an eight-year period. Throughout the movie, you feel the pull and power of history, so much so that, when the family finally acquires a radio and becomes addicted to a soap opera, the mere presence of the medium feels like an invasion from another planet, signaling the end of their way of life.

"Nature is actually the dominant presence in the film, with Diaz often using this imagery to comment on the vain, pointless actions of his characters, particularly when there's politics or money involved. A battle between the Gallardos and the guerrillas, for instance, is juxtaposed with a shot of two spiders eating one another alive. Moving and trenchant, at nine hours Evolution of a Filipino Family is quite simply one of the most extraordinary and ambitious films you will see this year."

Ebolusyon has been officially invited to the Rotterdam International Film Festival and to the Forum program of Berlin next year. Direk Lav is a little confused which festival to bestow Evolution’s European premiere. Forum screened his Hubad sa Ilalim ng Buwan in 2000 while Rotterdam is providing financial assistance to his next production, Heremias, as winner of their film fund.

Joining the Q&A portion at the lobby of the theater was award winning production designer and writer Raquel Villavicencio who is currently on leave from showbiz. She is staying in San Diego for now and is very much interested in mounting her first film, preferably a documentary, very soon. She praised the film, especially the strong performances of the actors.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2004 at 11:34 AM »
I know the film is shown already at CCP. I only find out its finshed already!!! Poor me!!!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2004 at 12:32 PM »
God....the multi-talented ANGIE FERRO is in this Lav Diaz' masterpiece.... :o :)

will there be hope for a theatrical run..... ???

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2004 at 10:09 AM »
Heads up.....folks.

Lav Diaz 10 hour epic masterpiece will be shown at Sm City Cebu on Dec. 4 at 1:30 pm.

If only I could get there by land transpo on saturday...... :(

Offline kaffee1

• Apprentice
  • c[_] kaffee_MUG
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2004 at 03:31 PM »
Lav Diaz and co. in town to promote the movie! Welcome!
Readme1|2[/u]

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 03:56 PM »
The UP Cinema As Art Movement would like to invite you to be part of the Philippine screening of Director Lav Diaz's 10-hour epic movie"Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino" on December 17, 2004, 10:00 am to 8:00pm at the Cine Adarna, UP Film Institute.

Tickets are priced at Php 80 and will be available starting the week  of December 6th at the CAM booth at the UP Fine Arts Lobby or at  the Administration Office of the College of Fine Arts. For inquiries  you may contact Jhem Manalang at 0920-2561859 or Rommel Joson at
 0916-7054233 / rejoson@y... / 434-8218 (UP CFA Visua Communications Dept. - Fax)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 03:58 PM »
The UP Cinema As Art Movement would like to invite you to be part of the Philippine screening of Director Lav Diaz's 10-hour epic movie"Ebolusyon ng Isang Pamilyang Pilipino" on December 17, 2004, 10:00 am to 8:00pm at the Cine Adarna, UP Film Institute.

Tickets are priced at Php 80 and will be available starting the week  of December 6th at the CAM booth at the UP Fine Arts Lobby or at  the Administration Office of the College of Fine Arts. For inquiries  you may contact Jhem Manalang at 0920-2561859 or Rommel Joson at
 0916-7054233 / rejoson@y... / 434-8218 (UP CFA Visua Communications Dept. - Fax)

Dec . 17 RMN......I'll probably file my forced leave from work. Thanks for the info.  :)

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 09:36 PM »
The film will be shown next year at SM Megamall on March 9-15 2005.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 08:05 AM »
Better bring some pack lunch when you watch this on Dec. 17 at UP Film Institute so that you'll not be hungry watching this flick for 10 hours.   :)

RMN will there be lunch break or breaks in between?

My eyeballs might popped up after the screening.  ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 10:50 AM »
I will probably be watching this on the 17th... where exactly is Cine Adarna? Is it the same as the UP Film Center? Darn, nahihiya tuloy akong aminin na taga-UP ako...

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 01:20 PM »
I will probably be watching this on the 17th... where exactly is Cine Adarna? Is it the same as the UP Film Center? Darn, nahihiya tuloy akong aminin na taga-UP ako...

P'reho tayo, oggs. Taga-UP din ako pero 'di ko rin alam yung Cine Adarna.  Baka yan na ung bagong pangalan ng Film Center. Sana, at least, medyo komportable sa UPFC, e, lalo na kung walong oras yan. Parang 'sambuong working day a. Hehe.

Still checking my scheds kung mapapatulan ko 'to. Sana. . .
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2004 at 01:21 PM by X44 »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 02:25 PM »
10 hours of the film?! wow!!! a record for the longest filipino film. Next to Oro Plata Mata (original cut). I hope the 30 minute break. or i might bring 5 bags of popcorn. the problem is i can't smoke!  :)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 03:12 PM »
The Cine Adarna is the new name of the UP Film Center :) Yeah, I'll be there too.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 09:37 PM »
Just talked to Rommel Joson a  while ago one of the organizers of the premiere screening......too bad Lav Diaz is out of the country daw but the rest of the cast are going to attend the screening next Friday.  :)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2004 at 02:01 PM »
I asked my wife is she wanted to see this film with me. She knows that there's always a catch whenever I ask her to watch something in places like UP and she nailed it immediately. Her first question was "How long is it?"

Suffice to say, after I told her about the running time she just told me to watch it with my friends, hehe.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2004 at 07:10 PM »
Woohoo! I got my ticket today!!! But will make it to the finish line? hehe ;D

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2004 at 10:14 PM »
Kaya mo yan RMN!  I'm going to do my best to watch as well.  I saw the 10-hour Toronto cut which I think is great (despite having a very rough sound mix).  This cut should be much much better I'm told.

Anyone else planning on going to the UP screening on the 17th?

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2004 at 08:48 AM »
Kaya mo yan RMN!  I'm going to do my best to watch as well.  I saw the 10-hour Toronto cut which I think is great (despite having a very rough sound mix).  This cut should be much much better I'm told.

Anyone else planning on going to the UP screening on the 17th?

There are two different 10-hour cuts? Can you enlighten us about this, Commentary?

Barring any sudden changes to my schedule, I'm gonna watch this. Haven't seen a film at UP in quite a while -- this will be a homecoming of sorts.  :)

Offline commentary

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2004 at 11:39 AM »
There are two different 10-hour cuts? Can you enlighten us about this, Commentary?

Barring any sudden changes to my schedule, I'm gonna watch this. Haven't seen a film at UP in quite a while -- this will be a homecoming of sorts.  :)

Surely indie boi!

The first screened cut of the film would be the Asian Cinevisions version that showed in New York, which runs about 8 hours.  The second screened cut of the film would be the Toronto version, which ran 10 hours.  This cut of the film to be shown this Friday should be just a little bit longer than the Toronto version (Lav shot, with himself as cameraman, an additional train sequence, and sequences in Bicol, and might have slipped in a few more short snippets from the 16mm shoots), and the sound mix should be much much better (they had to rush the dubbing out of the film, and were left with a rough sound mix).
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2004 at 11:40 AM by commentary »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2004 at 04:47 PM »
Thanks Commentary! It looks like Friday's screening will be a more "definitive" version of the film. I'm looking forward to this.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2004 at 09:19 PM »
Will I make it also on the finish line? I'm now saving for mineral water, sandwiches, and pringles for the 10 hour screening this coming Friday. Since I don't smoke that would be better.  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 09:02 AM »
Will I make it also on the finish line? I'm now saving for mineral water, sandwiches, and pringles for the 10 hour screening this coming Friday. Since I don't smoke that would be better.  ;D

The key is to limit water intake pre, hehe.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 12:41 PM »

The key is to limit water intake pre, hehe.

Will take note of that indie boi.  ;D.....looks like we'll attend a film symposium on Friday. Will get the tickets tomorrow.  :)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 01:55 PM »
Fruit is your best bet. Nothing salty--you'll get thirsty, and will want to fill your bladder.

Apples work like coffee--they perk you up. Don't ask me why, but it works.

And worse comes to worse, just go--it's ten hours, you can catch up later.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 01:58 PM »
Kaya mo yan RMN!  I'm going to do my best to watch as well. 

Thanks man! We'll see ;D Hope you could make it btw.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 01:59 PM »
Oh boy. I hope they'll screen this again next year.

If not, I hope they release it in dvd or vcd

If not, I hope it'll make a run here in some film festival.

If not, c'est la vie.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2004 at 02:11 PM »
Fruit is your best bet. Nothing salty--you'll get thirsty, and will want to fill your bladder.

Apples work like coffee--they perk you up. Don't ask me why, but it works.

And worse comes to worse, just go--it's ten hours, you can catch up later.

Apples -- good idea.  :)

I'm gonna stock up on mints too.

I do hope this is gonna be a good film. The last Pinoy film that I made concrete plans for was the first screening of Abaya's Rizal at Louie's THX -- and that was such a HUGE disappointment.