Author Topic: Selling TV and getting a projector  (Read 2076 times)

Offline foreign.asian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Selling TV and getting a projector
« on: Apr 13, 2018 at 09:20 AM »
Hi and a good morning to all,

To those who own projectors or are into home theaters, I need your suggestions on whether to keep my Sony Bravia W800C 43" TV and get a projector probably next year or sell the TV and get the projector now which will also leave with an extra $174.61.

I've found a projector that I really like and have no problems with it but I would like to hear suggestions because I might be missing out an idea.

Pros:
1. We can save so much space! (I don't like mounting my TV on the wall so it's currently placed on a table. I'll leave the table and this is where the projector will be throwing its light, of course above the table. I can also place small plants when the TV is gone.)
2. We are renting so it'll be really easy to move around with it.
3. We don't watch TV or local channels but if we do then it'll probably be just for news and the projector will be enough.
4. Lesser maintenance. The TV and table gets dusty really fast so more work for us to maintain it.
5. I love the cinema experience.

Cons:
I can't think of any so this is where your suggestions might fall into place.

Here's the projector I'd like to get
https://youtu.be/jGQVWshtMKo

or the newer version
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BKWGR5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ola0Ab9M3FFAV

Maraming Salamat & God bless!
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2018 at 09:24 AM by foreign.asian »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Selling TV and getting a projector
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 09:40 AM »
I guess the number one con with projectors is the need for darker area. But I think the projectors nowadays are clearer than before even if the room is not that dark.

I have both a TV and a cheap projector in the bedroom, but used only for movie nights.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline foreign.asian

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 09:50 AM »
I guess the number one con with projectors is the need for darker area. But I think the projectors nowadays are clearer than before even if the room is not that dark.

I have both a TV and a cheap projector in the bedroom, but used only for movie nights.

I agree about having a dark area to appreciate its quality and that won't be a problem since we usually watch at night and there's one big window facing the wall but I can bring down the curtains during day time. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Offline guido

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM »
if you have the space i highly recommend a projector instead of a regular tv.
especially newer projector with lamp life of 20,000 hours and up. i was also looking at the tiny LG models before
maybe one reason was my disappointment with my 2 year old samsung plasma that died just after warranty hehe.

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 10:16 AM »
a projector is the way to go if you want a cinematic experience. If you can increase your budget a little bit more, get a 1080p model.

Offline kiwimig

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 11:33 AM »
You can never go wrong with a good projector. The only issue i have with mine is that the aircon should be on when i use it because my epson heats up. I can't point the fan to it because it will then make the screen move around.

Offline foreign.asian

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 01:50 PM »
if you have the space i highly recommend a projector instead of a regular tv.
especially newer projector with lamp life of 20,000 hours and up. i was also looking at the tiny LG models before
maybe one reason was my disappointment with my 2 year old samsung plasma that died just after warranty hehe.
The good thing about projectors nowadays is that there are a lot of affordable alternatives with a lamp life of over 20,000 hours. Thank you for recommending it.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline foreign.asian

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 01:54 PM »
a projector is the way to go if you want a cinematic experience. If you can increase your budget a little bit more, get a 1080p model.
I was also looking into models that support native 1080p. Thank you for recommending. Do you have recommendations for something at 20K? I'm okay if they are not branded like Epson. Particularly looking for a model that has an Android OS.

Offline foreign.asian

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 01:55 PM »
You can never go wrong with a good projector. The only issue i have with mine is that the aircon should be on when i use it because my epson heats up. I can't point the fan to it because it will then make the screen move around.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'll also take note of that.

Offline comet

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 02:12 PM »
usually the ones with android os are the cheaper ones as Epson, Benq do not use android.  If you’re planning to get it from amazon, try benq, epson or optoma. benq and optoma are dlp models while epson have lcd models.

Offline comet

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 02:17 PM »
I think Lg projectors have their web os built into them and they may have functions similar to android os. They are small, LEDs with longer lamp bulbs but they are more expensive

Offline elim

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2018 at 02:44 PM »
long term might be a good idea to save a little bit more and get a laser PJ. The lamp replacement over 3-5 yrs should cover the difference with your intended use.
i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee319/ielim/Faithful%20Sound%20brands%202_zpsttoewu3h.jpg

Offline foreign.asian

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2018 at 12:41 AM »
@comet & @elim

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I just find that it is not practical for me to spend over ₱20,000 for a projector these days especially with what non branded or Chinese models offer now.

I'm thinking if I get an expensive projector then after five years the bulb dies. It would either be expensive or hard to find a replacement vs. spending on a budget LED projector that'll also last over five years then replace the whole projector and by that time there will be better ones out there.

I've read a lot of reviews on Amazon from people who bought affordable projectors worth ₱10,000-15,000 and they're very happy with it. These reviews are from people who also own branded expensive projectors.

The only problem is that there are so many affordable decent projectors out there which is not available locally in the Philippines. I'll have to ship it through JAC.

I found another projector for $185.99 that has a 5/5 rating out of 66 reviews. Although it's a LCD type but has 30,000hrs of lamp life.
 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M3QM26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Quo0AbB40TQX4
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2018 at 01:24 AM by foreign.asian »

Offline LouPah

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2018 at 01:10 PM »
@comet & @elim

I just find that it is not practical for me to spend over ₱20,000 for a projector these days especially with what non branded or Chinese models offer now.

I have 20k plus worth Chineses led projector, the performance is great than my other three cheap lcd chinese projectors.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxeDkFoVs0&t=64s    and this is it........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ls9Jiqnea8

BTW, pls. don't sell your tv, just get the projector.  ;D  Xgimi H1 is a1080p native resolution led projector and earned positive reviews online, so maybe this will be my next upgrade.
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2018 at 01:36 PM by LouPah »

Offline foreign.asian

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2018 at 07:46 PM »
I have 20k plus worth Chineses led projector, the performance is great than my other three cheap lcd chinese projectors.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxeDkFoVs0&t=64s    and this is it........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ls9Jiqnea8

BTW, pls. don't sell your tv, just get the projector.  ;D  Xgimi H1 is a1080p native resolution led projector and earned positive reviews online, so maybe this will be my next upgrade.
Noted. I'm keeping my TV. Woah! That projector in the second video shows crazy beautiful quality even during daytime! I'll check that out and probably get that one. Maraming salamat!

Offline LouPah

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2018 at 11:51 AM »

That projector in the second video shows crazy beautiful quality even during daytime!

Yes! That's the performance of my Max500 led dlp projector, I've use it everyday.

Offline foreign.asian

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2018 at 03:03 PM »

Yes! That's the performance of my Max500 led dlp projector, I've use it everyday.
Mind sharing where you got yours? I think Lazada sells this too.

Offline LouPah

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2018 at 05:17 PM »
Got mine from Ali Express last Dec 28, 2016, that's before becomes available in Lazada ph. Prices both Lazada & Ali Express are increases. :o

Offline foreign.asian

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 18, 2018 at 08:29 PM »
Got mine from Ali Express last Dec 28, 2016, that's before becomes available in Lazada ph. Prices both Lazada & Ali Express are increases. :o
Maraming salamat for sharing. Yes, I've also checked AliExpress before. Price is fine and shipping is usually fast through DHL. I'll keep an eye out for promos and discounts.

Offline eaferrer

• Collector
  • So little time, So many gadgets to buy ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 05, 2018 at 02:50 PM »
Go for Ultra Short Throw Projector like those of LG's and you will never go back into using your big screen tv :). Well I still use my LED tv's for daily news watching. But when it's movie time, I'm off to my ManCave with my LG PF1000UW :).
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2018 at 02:53 PM by eaferrer »

Offline wheelee

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Nobodies tomorrow is guaranteed
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #20 on: Jun 05, 2018 at 03:38 PM »
Both TV & Projectors have their own place in our home
TV- for tv programs, news, games - anywhere in the house
PJ - movie nights, sports, games - darkened or dedicated HT room

although you can also use a PJ as a TV replacement but you have to take into consideration the ambient light of the room & you will need atleast 3000 Lumens up in a bright or lighted area to enjoy the viewing experience & that's where Epson shines but you will have to sacrifice contrast for more lumens.