Author Topic: What's your most memorable last episode?  (Read 4780 times)

Offline yamota

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What's your most memorable last episode?
« on: May 03, 2004 at 09:47 AM »
With "Friends" coming to close after ten years, I am suddenly reminded of all the memorable last episodes of famous TV shows that I've seen. I remember the last episode of "Cheers"; the final scene was Sam closing up the bar and telling some late comer that "Sorry, bar's closed!".
I remember the last scene of the last episode of "Three's Company" where Jack, Janet, and Teri leave their apartment for the last time and turn out the lights.
I remember the last episode of "Miami Vice" where Crockett and Tubbs go their separate ways. Crockett stays in Miami, while Tubbs moves back to his old stomping grounds in New York.
I remember the last scene of "Homicide Life on the Street" where Al Giardello, who had just died, finds himself in his old precinct, and he sees two of his former detectives there, Crosetti and Felton, playing cards, but he knows that's impossible because he knows they are dead. Then he realizes he is dead too, and he is now in the spirit world, and the last scene is Giardello, Crosetti and Felton playing cards.
Speaking of playing cards, that is also how "Star Trek the Next Generation" ended, with the crew of the Enterprise in relaxed mode, playing poker.
But perhaps the best and most unexpected final twist was the last episode of "Newhart". In the final scene, Bob Newhart wakes up in his bed, and Suzanne Pleshette is next to him, and it turns out that the entire run of the "Newhart" series was all a dream of the Bob Newhart from the old "Bob Newhart Show" in the 70s.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
Re: What's your most memorable last episode?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004 at 09:58 AM »
But perhaps the best and most unexpected final twist was the last episode of "Newhart". In the final scene, Bob Newhart wakes up in his bed, and Suzanne Pleshette is next to him, and it turns out that the entire run of the "Newhart" series was all a dream of the Bob Newhart from the old "Bob Newhart Show" in the 70s.

My God, it's like a bad season of Dallas :). Thanks for the info, yamota. I'd wonder how a lot of my favorite shows ended.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004 at 09:59 AM by MultipleAngles »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004 at 10:00 AM »
Yeah me too...I don't remember how my favorite TV shows ended (except for maybe Friends which I will get to see on DVD over and over)!  Makes me wonder too....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004 at 10:01 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004 at 10:21 AM »
St. Elsewhere also ended in a Newhart-style way: It turns out the entire hospital wasn't real, it only existed in the mind of an autistic child (shown shaking a snow globe with a hospital design inside in the very last scene).

M*A*S*H's finale became the highest-rated TV show at that time, with 125 million viewers. I only saw it once when I was still a kid, but from what I remember, some of the soldiers had fallen in love with Korea, and decided to stay. Hawkeye was lamenting how his friends always just leave him and never say goodbye. Trapper left. BJ was gone. Just when he was feeling lowest as he was departing and the chopper took off, he saw that BJ had spelled goodbye to him in rocks at the camp.

Seinfeld ended with what I feel was one of their worst episodes. I didn't dislike the fact that they all ended up in jail on a stupid charge - that's a touch of Larry David's trademark sense of humor, but the way they paraded all the show's famous guest stars was really forced and unsatisfying.

The Wonder Years had a satisfying finale. The family was watching a parade together, and adult Kevin narrated to us what happened to all of them - his father passed away a few years later, his brother took over the family business, Winnie Cooper moved to Paris, and he and Winnie... remained best friends, writing each other weekly until this very day.

I suppose by now they email, huh?  8)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004 at 10:29 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004 at 10:37 AM »
Gee, that was how St. Elsewhere ended? Lame. Lol! ;D Oh, now I remember seeing Wonder Year's last episode. That was bittersweet. :-\

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004 at 11:08 AM »
Well, I only remember the recent TV finales of the ff:

1. The X-Files ~ which made me cringe in most parts except for the MSR scenes - I love, love the last shot of them together in bed  :'(

2. Sex & the City ~ which I can't really go into since it hasn't been shown here but I gotta say I love me some John  :-*

Does anyone remember how Remington Steele, LA Law, and Moonlighting ended? I can't recall if they showed "proper" endings or just fizzled out.
Amor Fati

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004 at 11:11 AM »

2. Sex & the City ~ which I can't really go into since it hasn't been shown here but I gotta say I love me some John  :-*

Oh yeah, that. Perfect ending.  ;)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004 at 01:32 PM »
sa akin... i remembered being a bit teary-eyed on the last cheers episode. but it's been so long, i don't even recall anymore how it actually ended. i just remember shelley long came back...  ::)

memorable... laughable is more like it... anyone remember the last "falcon crest epsiode"? that show is so dramatic...it's hilarious!  :P
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004 at 01:33 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004 at 08:58 PM »
memorable... laughable is more like it... anyone remember the last "falcon crest epsiode"? that show is so dramatic...it's hilarious!  :P

I believe Jane Wyman's character was in a coma for most of the last season, then they miraculous revived her with 2 or 3 episodes to go? I remember she looked really weak, like she was just propped up and made to say lines.

I can't remember exactly what went on, but I think the end was a long narration by her, to old footage/orchard footage?

Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004 at 09:39 PM »

I believe Jane Wyman's character was in a coma for most of the last season, then they miraculous revived her with 2 or 3 episodes to go? I remember she looked really weak, like she was just propped up and made to say lines.

I can't remember exactly what went on, but I think the end was a long narration by her, to old footage/orchard footage?

actually the episode i wil NEVER forget is how its last season started... it's when susan sullivan exits the show (she dies... you won't believe how: after getting her ring finger stuck in a pool drain, she drowns!)  :o

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004 at 09:52 PM »
Remember the two last episodes of "Magnum PI"? I remember that one last episode where Magnum dies and the last shot of him is in heaven walking away from the camera.
But then, the fans started a letter writing campaign to bring the show back, so the producers decided to bring Magnum back for one more season. So they "resurrected" Magnum from the dead for one last season.
Then the actual last episode had Magnum visit his old college, the US Naval Academy, and reminisce about his life.

Offline kubrikk

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004 at 11:24 AM »
 O0

in the ending of ally mcbeal , she just decided 1 day to move 2 new yrk since her daughter was having panic attacks/psycholgical problems already  making her decide 2 leave boston.

in felicitys' ending she was in the house a of  a psychic  trying to rid herself of the emotional baggage but this turnd out to be just a dream.  The episode ended w/ the wedding of noel to another girl

in northern exposure the doctor moved out of alaska

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004 at 12:40 PM »
O0

in the ending of ally mcbeal , she just decided 1 day to move 2 new yrk since her daughter was having panic attacks/psycholgical problems already  making her decide 2 leave boston.

in felicitys' ending she was in the house a of  a psychic  trying to rid herself of the emotional baggage but this turnd out to be just a dream.  The episode ended w/ the wedding of noel to another girl

memorable? he he he... maybe. but "abrupt" is more like it... ;)

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004 at 08:35 PM »
how about 'memorably abrupt'? :D

Offline scully

• Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2004 at 08:53 PM »

wait, which doctor is it? the 2nd one? because i remember dr. fleischman leaving but the show continued with another doctor. or am i just confused?  :P
Amor Fati

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004 at 09:23 PM »

wait, which doctor is it? the 2nd one? because i remember dr. fleischman leaving but the show continued with another doctor. or am i just confused?  :P

well, technically... northern exposure didn't end with dr. joel leaving cicely. but it sure might as well have been the death knell of this show.  :-\

dr. joel was replaced by dr. phil (no, not the oprah guy! lol.) and his wife michelle. dr. joel still made some appearances here and there (a la  fox mulder in the x-files).  ::)

it's like moonlighting... the series was never the same after maddie and david finally "did it".  :P (and it was all downhill from there.  :'()

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004 at 11:11 PM »
I just watched the last episode of Fraggle Rock! Like many finales, it revolves around someone leaving for good, but with a nice twist in the end, and the whole cast singing the theme song. Ah, memories

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen any of my childhood favorites end properly (Except for Daimos. They must have shown the ending a hundred times). I've since assumed that they just pull the plug and let the audience use their imagination. Is there any site that has finale summaries for late 80's cartoons like Spiral Zone or Inhumanoids?

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004 at 08:03 AM »
what still sticks to me is the last episode of My So-Called Life...  this guy brian (devon gummersall) has a huge crush on angela (claire danes) who happens to like jordan catalano (jared leto)...  angela and jordan got together eventually during the course of the season but had a huge fight before the last episode because of angela's friend...  jordan (not the brightest guy in the block) asks brian to write an apology letter that he can give angela...  angela gets the letter, and totally loves it, and forgives jordan...  by episode's end, angela finds out that brian wrote the letter -- who still denies it -- but slips by saying that he (brian) meant every word in the letter...  angela is stopped by this revelation and brian just tells her that what is important is that angela loved the letter...  jordan picks up angela for a date, and as they drive away, angela looks out of the car, her eyes still fixed on brian...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2004 at 08:06 AM by kings5504 »
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004 at 06:16 PM »
i don't have much memorable endings. dahil all the shows i used to watch just get cancelled.. and never were given a finale :|

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004 at 06:48 PM »
what still sticks to me is the last episode of My So-Called Life...  this guy brian (devon gummersall) has a huge crush on angela (claire danes) who happens to like jordan catalano (jared leto)...  angela and jordan got together eventually during the course of the season but had a huge fight before the last episode because of angela's friend...  jordan (not the brightest guy in the block) asks brian to write an apology letter that he can give angela...  angela gets the letter, and totally loves it, and forgives jordan...  by episode's end, angela finds out that brian wrote the letter -- who still denies it -- but slips by saying that he (brian) meant every word in the letter...  angela is stopped by this revelation and brian just tells her that what is important is that angela loved the letter...  jordan picks up angela for a date, and as they drive away, angela looks out of the car, her eyes still fixed on brian...

god! how could i have forgotten all about that?! that ending sent chills down my spine (and reading it now ... it still does!  :P)

in hindsight, i think it was somewhat a blessing that MSCL never had a second season... we're now left to wonder, did she end up with brian (please! please! please!) or jordan (ugh!).

this is one of those brilliantly-cast series that i wil FOREVER love.  ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006 at 10:22 PM »
Were you able to find the rest of the episodes, Spiff? I'm really curious about this show.

Speaking of finales, The Phoenix has listed its 10 Best Classic Season Finales.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006 at 11:05 PM »
Were you able to find the rest of the episodes, Spiff? I'm really curious about this show.

Speaking of finales, The Phoenix has listed its 10 Best Classic Season Finales.

unfortunately no... episodes 11-19 seem lost to me now.  :-X

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006 at 11:13 PM »
Got to be Friends for me.  I was sad seeing them leave the keys to the apartment.  I grew with them as I was in my 20's when the show was in its fantastic run.... ;D  I occasionaly watch rereuns but never fails to make me smile and laugh.

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006 at 12:04 PM »
Felicity

I really don't consider the bullcrap time travel episode the finale. JJ Abrams already had it when Felicity went back to California and studied medicine. Her father made a last ditch effort to reason when she was thinking of moving to Arizona to be with Ben and his son.

I followed you for four years, Felicity tells Ben. I can't do this anymore. Maybe it's your turn. Cut six months later, Felicity after one of her med classes is looking at a bulletin board and just off screen we hear Ben say, I just came from the admissions office. You were right, it's my turn.

Offline coco_men182

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006 at 06:22 PM »
The Office and its Christmas Specials.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006 at 09:14 PM »
unfortunately no... episodes 11-19 seem lost to me now.  :-X

They are available on Limewire. Looked for them just awhile ago while downloading Entourage's second season.

Offline yamota

• Collector
  • Digging deeper
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2006 at 04:11 AM »
a couple of shows of note will be ending their runs next week. "The West Wing" on Sunday and "Will & Grace" on Thursday. Goodbye to them :(  Unfortunately, "American Idol" is still on the air :cry:

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 12:03 AM »

Just saw this episode tonight. Though it had an open ending it was still satisfying. It reminded me of how Linklater ended the film Before Sunrise (before we had the sequel), young love and all its possibilities.

Offline ralfy

• DVD Guru
  • I am the Mountie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 12:56 AM »
The bizarre finale of St. Elsewhere and the end of MASH.