Author Topic: Pioneer VSX-1020 K: Center Speaker Weak Volume  (Read 920 times)

Offline Leon21

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Pioneer VSX-1020 K: Center Speaker Weak Volume
« on: Jul 23, 2018 at 04:03 PM »
I've had my Pioneer VSX-1020 K since 2011 and it has been working fine until a few days ago. All of a sudden, the volume coming out of the center speaker is considerably weak compared to the others. I've had my speakers configured to my liking (center on +6 db, LF/RF on +1.5 db, etc.) and using the built-in test tone shows that only the center is affected -- the center basically sounds like it's on -35 db even though the overall volume is set to -16db. A power-on/off cycle fixed the problem a few days ago, but when I tried using it yesterday, the issue returned and doing the same power-on/off technique hasn't worked. I've tried re-stripping the speaker wire, still the same issue. I then tested by connecting the center speaker to one of the front surrounds, and the center speaker suddenly sounds normal while the surround (connected to the center channel on the amp) sounded very weak. This leads me to believe there's something wrong with the connection on the board itself.

Is there anything I can do to fix this by myself? The only other solution I can think of is opening it up and fiddling with the center channel.

I do intend to replace this receiver with a newer one (4K/HDR, Atmos, etc) but I wasn't quite expecting to replace it so soon. Plus, I'd like to keep watching my shows and movies while waiting for a newer receiver to arrive.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Pioneer VSX-1020 K: Center Speaker Weak Volume
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2018 at 04:20 PM »
You can set the center channel to NONE. Let the front speakers handle the dialogues and still enjoy movies while waiting for your new receiver.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Leon21

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Pioneer VSX-1020 K: Center Speaker Weak Volume
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2018 at 04:26 PM »
You can set the center channel to NONE. Let the front speakers handle the dialogues and still enjoy movies while waiting for your new receiver.

I know, but I'd prefer a working center.

Also, your name looked familiar so I just checked my PMs and I got this receiver from you all those years ago. :)