Entertainment > Pinoy Entertainment

The Filipino Action Movie

(1/9) > >>

renato:
I want to start a  discussion of the aesthetics/formulas/cliches of the Filipino action movie.

I grew up watching Filipino films in the late 80's and early 90's, a time where Philippine cinema seemed be at its sorriest state.Nevertheless, I did enjoy watching the Filipino movies that was released during that time- comedy, drama and horror/fantasy  but never(rarely) action films.

Can anyone recommend any good Filipino action films?

Oh, and please feel free to post your FPJ/Dante Varona/Lito Lapid /Bong Revilla/John Regala obsessions in this thread.

Noel_Vera:
Some great action filmmakers: Gerry de Leon (48 Oras, Intramuros, the Gates of Hell); Celso Ad Castillo (Asedillo); Mario O'Hara (Bagong Hari, Condemned, Kastilyong Buhangin).

Excellent or interesting action filmmakers: Francis "Jun" Posadas (can't think of one, sorry), Ronnie Ricketts, Tikoy Aguiluz (Biyaheng Langit, Segurista).

Might add that 48 Oras, Bagong Hari, Condemned and Biyaheng Langit are borderline action/noir films. But they are excellently shot and edited, and they do have action sequences. Kastilyong Buhangin is an odd creature entirely, being a showcase for Nora's singing and Lito Lapid's stunts. It's a cross between A Star is Born and Prison on Fire.

renato:

Thanks for the recommendations Noel.

I'm a big fan of Tikoy's Segurista although i've never really thought of it as an action film.

Come to think of it,a lot of Filipino movies,action or not, employ elements of the action genre.Chionglo's Sibak and Lagarista are examples.Even comedy films have an obligatory action scene at their climax,sort of a comedic catharsis(?).

I've seen Walls of Hell aka Intramuros starring FPJ.There is a great scene in this movie that is almost silent,i can't quite remember the details....
I think i've seen clips of 48 oras,Erap starrer right? Or was the movie Geron Busabos?

I really have to catch up on O'Hara's work."A Star is Born meets Prison on Fire" -that description seems too good too pass up.

zerone_null:
Fil action movies?  no twists

story is linear and predictable most of the time.. which is why i avoid them.
sorry, harsh but true.

Noel_Vera:

--- Quote from: zerone_null on May 05, 2004 at 09:02 AM ---Fil action movies?  no twists

story is linear and predictable most of the time.. which is why i avoid them.
sorry, harsh but true.

--- End quote ---

Tsk, tsk--obviously has not seen Condemned...

48 Oras is that terrific noir thriller done by Gerry de Leon--has some great suspense setpieces: a roomful of clocks...and the way the villain meets his ultimate fate...

Geron Busabos is one of the best of Erap's movies (maybe his very best is Gerry de Leon's The Moises Padilla Story--where he's the villain), but is okay, not especially good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version