Entertainment > Pinoy Entertainment

The Filipino Action Movie

<< < (7/9) > >>

RMN:
You know you're watching a pinoy action flick when...

--> the male lead wears a leather jacket  for "macho" purposes despite the heat in our country.

--> joining him in his crusade for justice is a sexy leading lady who becomes his love team. expect a long sex scene.

--> the role of the corrupt and greedy politico or crime boss is played by either Eddie Gutierrez, Bob Soler or Subas Herrero.

--> there is always a scene where the protagonist is being chased by a gunman aboard a chopper. For some reason (stupid gunman???), he doesn't get hit but with one shot from the protagonist's handgun, he manages to blow-up the helicopter to smithereens!

--> there is always a scene by the poolside of the kingpin's mansion. there, he is sipping a glass of scotch and is surrounded by a bevy of bikini clad women while his henchmen, or "bata", reports how, yet again, they fumble things up!

--> despite the fact that these crime syndicates are rich--they own a chopper don't they?--they use old delapidated cars which eventually get blown-up.

--> chase scenes are shot in empty subdivisions where there is no traffic.

--> the last scene is shot in an abandond warehouse filled with either blocks of ice or oil drums!

--> the protagonist loves to "swing into actuon" by hanging on a chain as he fires away.

--> before the protagonist and the kingpin meet in the end, for their final duel, they first have to have a silly shouting match.

--> expect one-liners. (i.e. "walang personalan, tabaho lang" )

--> the cops always arrive last. and there is always a scalawag cop involved.

RMN:
Ronald Gan Ledesma!!!!

RMN:

--- Quote from: X44 on May 18, 2004 at 10:30 PM ---Taken out of context, the two gun battles and the kung fu scene inside the prison from Toto Natividad's otherwise dreary Suspek were interesting . Natividad's obviously been brushing up on his 90s HK crime library - - -  Johnnie To, pre-Van Damme latter-day Ringo Lam, Wilson Yip. 

Erik Matti's. . .este "Augusto Salvador"'s Alas Dose had a Hong Kong-ish gun fight that was fine although too much a crib from Johnnie To. . .este "Patrick Yau"'s The Longest Nite , specially its' Lady From Shanghai by way of Face/Off climax.

--- End quote ---

i think toto natividad is a fairly, and i repeat fairly, competent action director.

btw, why does the action movie genre  seem to be dead nowadays? no budget among local producers??

renato:

--- Quote from: RMN on Jun 04, 2004 at 03:10 PM ---Ronald Gan Ledesma!!!!

--- End quote ---

I don't believe i've ever seen a Ronald Gan action filck. Are there any you especially like or would like to recommend?

I've seen a couple of Toto's films--Utol was not bad at all.He also has a pretty good resume which includes asst. editor credits for Platoon and The Year of Living Dangerously.I'm not a big fan of both those films, but still...

RMN:

--- Quote from: renato requiestas on Jun 08, 2004 at 04:29 AM ---

I don't believe i've ever seen a Ronald Gan action filck. Are there any you especially like or would like to recommend?

--- End quote ---

Recommend a Ronald Gan Ledesma flick? Heck! They're all BAD! I mean really BAD. I'd have a Jestoni Alarcon starrer anytime! LOL.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version